Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

I just picked up a 60D with the kit lens. 4-5 years ago I had a Digital Rebel (300D) so it's nice to be back. Got the 60D with the 18-135mm zoom, but now looking for something telephoto'ish.

My choices so far are:

50-250
70-300
70-200 L

The 70-200 L that I would get would be without IS for cost, so that's a ding against it. The 50-250 and 70-300 while built differently, but seems a lot of people recommend either or.

For value, it seems the 50-250 is the one to go with?

Edit: I would like to shoot some video as well, so I guess quiet AF might be needed.

I used to have a 50-250 and then upgraded to the 70-200L f/4 without IS.

The difference in quality between my 50-250 and 70-200 is AMAZING. If you can pay the extra, do it. I haven't missed the IS so far, I mostly shoot birds and wildlife with the lens, and so it's usually daylight and bright enough that I can get well over 1/200 shutter speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my 30D does RAW+all.

I used to use RAW+L when I first got it, for about 2 weeks while I got used to processing RAW photos, just so I had a backup if I really screwed anything up.

I never used the jpgs in the end, but I liked having them there for my own peace of mind while I got used to it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo, where is that?

edit: as in what's it called, I do read the thread and know it's in Scotland

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't own a UV filter. I like to live dangerously.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have 30mbps cards and after about 5 or 6 shots in a row the camera spends like 10 seconds trying to catch up and OH GOD WHY ARENT YOU TAKING PHOTOS OF THAT BIRD making GBS threads, CAMERA?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just got the Tamrom 17-50 and the zoom ring goes the way Nikons do, which is the total opposite to how Canon lenses go, and holy hell is that going to mess with my brain.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So I ordered a 60D for my mom for her birthday from B&H last Sunday. I got it shipped by Purolator, as I always do, and figured it would arrive Thursday or Friday this week.

When it didn't show up yesterday I was starting to get worried, but their whole tracking system was down so I couldn't see where it was. This morning I discovered that apparently the driver wanted an early start to the long weekend and listed my address as incorrect/doesn't exist. I've double checked. They are sending it to the right address.

So now with the long weekend taking away an extra business day they have like two days to fix this gently caress up and actually send me the stuff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I loving hate that. I've had that happen a couple of times too with CP, it's really annoying.

I called Purolator and the lady's going to fax the office to send my stuff again, except that because they're not going to receive the fax until after the trucks have gone out for the day, my camera's not going to get shipped until Wednesday, and my mom's birthday is on Thursday. So now there's literally no margin for error. I'm never using them again, that's for sure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom's had a radioactive lens on her Nikon for over 30 years (we only found out about it when she got randomly tested at the aiport and the dude was like "ummm your camera is coming up as positive") and so far she hasn't grown any extra limbs so you're probably ok.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had my 17-50 kit lens and it was fine, I never took my 70-200 during the time in Rome. Honestly, I think you could count on one hand the number of photos I took in Rome at >30mm

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I shoot exclusively with a 30D and my photos rule.

But yeah high ISO stuff sucks, though I've never had a problem tracking birds with it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my best pics from Hawaii are of lava and also underwater

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Use a shutter release cable with your left hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I only use my lovely remote release with my lens on manual, since mine is so cheap and lovely it hates to autofocus, so yeah that should work fine.