Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

frogbs posted:

I want to upgrade from my Fuji Xt-10. I tried an XH2 in a store and really loved the larger grip, but can't afford $2000 right now. The XT3 ticks most of the boxes for me at half the cost used, except the grip out of the box isn't great. How comparable is the XT3 with the MHG-XT3 grip to the feel of the XH2? Anyone here in the thread tried it, and the XH2?

I can't compare, but I have a Chinese knockoff of this thing on my XT4 and it's a huge improvement on the grip, I have no trouble holding onto the camera for hours. Still have a wrist strap out of caution but even with a big lens on it, feels fine in the hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

clockworkjoe posted:

This video says the canon powershot g7 mark II is a good older point and shoot camera for its price when used. The creator of the video claimed they got one for about $240 USD (33k yen) in Japan. I know someone who lives in Japan who is visiting in September and willing to buy one and bring it to me. Where can I point them to get one? I tried some searching but only found new ones for sale, as far as google translate could tell me.

I also can only find new ones. There are a whole bunch of camera stores around this area just west of Shinjuku station: https://goo.gl/maps/otwYMms2LtyanBNN6 Many don't have websites.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

ahh, thanks for the info. I guess he found a good deal at a store, not online.

Also the exchange rate is quite favorable right now. Those new ones are like $500.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 31, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As someone who recently got back into photography, I don't at all regret spending the money on a somewhat fancier kit. There's stuff you can't do with a lot of the cheapo entry level cameras. A used XT-3 and 18-55 lens is around $1000 and very capable. Plus at least from MPB you can return it no questions asked for two weeks so you can play with a bit before committing.

I picked up an entry level Canon before getting Fujipilled and it just frustrated the hell out of me. I'm big into low light/night photography which simply wasn't possible. The lenses for it were too slow and the camera itself literally didn't have the exposure options I needed, the software on the camera didn't support it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rebel 7. Better than a point and shoot but not by a lot. There might've been faster lenses, not really worth the money on that body though. I found its limitations pretty quick then moved to a X-T4 and am much happier.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The internet says they have all the usual shooting modes including auto.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just have an Osprey Daylite that I carry it in. No padding, so I put a wadded up layer of bubble wrap on the bottom to avoid thunking when I set it down, and I keep my lenses in little zip-up containers that are lightly padded. The outer pouch is too shallow to do much with but it was okay to keep a cleaning kit and filters. Water bottle holder worked to hold my tripod.

If you're expecting massive amounts of abuse it's probably not great but I carried that around all day for two months in Asia without issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As for the rain gear, spring tends to be pretty dry. I brought a couple disposable camera bag things and never used them, I think I got three light drizzles in two months. It's nice to have one but I wouldn't pack like it's monsoon season. If you find yourself in a desperate need you can pop into a Yodobashi or something and grab them.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 9, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Since there's no autofocus anyway you might look into vintage lenses. You can pick up good ones for pretty cheap ($50-100) and experiment with different focal lengths, see what you enjoy shooting at. Trade up to modern lenses when you have a better idea what you like to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's honestly not that hard. I picked up a vintage lens and have been playing with it, I certainly get a lot more slightly blurry pictures than with autofocus but after a few hours of practice I got sharp cat pictures, which I consider a major win.

It's fun. I'm not interested in ditching autofocus, I'll be using that most of the time, but for the kinds of photography I'm interested in doing with a manual lens having tack-sharp focus isn't important anyway.

litany of gulps posted:

Ah yes, Muhammad Ali, famous 19th century boxer

He said since the 1800s, not in the 1800s. Autofocus didn't exist until like the mid 1980s. You have seen lots of manual focus images that were not landscapes.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's the most important part? If it's something pocket sized, X100V is a great option--you're right about the prices/scalper situation, but Fuji is announcing a successor to it later in the month so the V should become a lot more reasonable. The Ricoh GR III and Canon G7X Mk II are also pretty popular in the same vein.

If you want interchangeable lenses, mirrorless cameras are smaller than DSLRs. I've been very happy with the Fuji X-T4, capable of everything I've tried to do and it's not huge. I've carried it around all day on vacation without an issue. Used ones aren't too expensive.

Sony's cameras are pretty compact. No personal experience with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Conversely, as a Fuji shooter I actually find the 'retro' control layout way more logical than PASM, so preferences will vary :v:

Yeah I went from Canon to Fuji and much prefer having all the controls manual. I like not having to interact with menus. I have one lens without an aperture ring and it annoys me badly.

All just personal preference though, the result's the same.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TomR posted:

I got a trailer for my big camera. It's much easier to get everything to a decent location now. No more lugging things from my truck anymore.

Surprised the X100VI is this much larger than the V

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I actually do have a spare $1600 but I was a good boy and didn't press any buttons to buy something I don't need.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have the Fuji version of that Sigma, it's a good lens. F2.8 is good enough for handheld night photography, especially if that body has IBIS.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Whether the grip is comfortable or not is so personal no one can really answer it, you gotta put hands on the camera. I will say that too small is a solvable problem, there are aftermarket grip things you can attach to cameras.

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Bracket-Accessories-Fujifilm-Battery/dp/B088TDLD7X?th=1

I have this one, for an example. Too big you can't fix but these extenders work well if it's a little small for your hand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Olympus E-M5 has weather sealing and image stabilization, which are pretty rare at that range. With a tremor having stabilization would probably be super helpful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Thanks, I found an em5 for about $300, I'll go that route.

You will need a lens for it but micro four thirds lenses are pretty cheap. I've seen this one recommended: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-20-1p7-o20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks like you might be stuck with the real thing. I checked the Chinese knockoff brands I've used and none of them have a HB-103 copy.