Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dupersaurus posted:

This moment of galaxy brain thinking brought to you by learning the Z7 has a DX mode and having a huge duh-doy experience

It's a super useful feature, especially if your camera has the ability to assign crop mode to a custom button for one click toggling. Sure, it's exactly the same as doing it in post, but shooting primes it can be super helpful to compose in body with the crop factor. And with Lightroom's super resolution feature, I have zero hesitation printing from cropped files.

\/ what?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want to maximize a personal item or carry on backpack for camera + other gear, a cube system in a regular backpack is your best bet. I have an old Incase camera cube that is no longer made, but it takes up the bottom half of my normal 26L backpack and I put clothes in the top. The cube holds 2 bodies with a 70-200, 24-70, and a prime lens, which is close to what my 30L peak design backpack can hold (I fully agree with you about it's flaws as a camera bag).

EDIT: The new Shimoda Urban bags look like a good design and come in 3 sizes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shimodadesigns/shimoda-urban-explore

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What about a small camera sling like the Hex Ranger you could wear in front when you want easy camera access but use as a cube in the bag when you don’t need camera access?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want top tier tech the ZF is absolutely killer at 2k price point (2200 with the pancake lens which is also great).

You can’t go wrong with any of the big three brands for full frame mirrorless these days. They all have great tech in the bodies with slight edges in certain areas: Sony for video; canon for high end lenses, and Nikon for the best bodies annd value across the line atm IMO.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 17, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Old lenses still perform better on the RF bodies via adapter than they did on the DSLRs just because of the way the bodies AF as well. I would assume the same for Nikon but haven't tried it myself. But the native lenses are indeed another step better from that since they were designed alongside those new AF systems.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We have one we use for a personal item on flights and yeah, it's just a thin piece of fabric I wouldn't put a raw camera (or any tech really) in. If you want to just carry a single small setup in any bag your best bet is to get one of these and throw it in your pack of choice, but then it can also double as a belt or fanny pack style on its own. I have a slightly larger one from Lowepro and like it a lot for that use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Got this sling bag (Hex Ranger) as a gift and I'm really impressed that it can hold a full kit. That's a 50 1.2, 70-200 2.8, 35, and 16 all in there. The front and back zip pockets have plenty of space for batteries and accessories too. When I don't need the 70-200, I can also fit a second body in there. Will be great for shooting concerts and other events where I need to switch lenses frequently.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

Is there a better online store for buying old/secondhand camera gear than ebay? I'm thinking of getting a view camera this year and every time I type a search into ebay I feel like I'm about to get scammed.

Keh has always been fantastic for me.
'

toadee posted:

Also do not be worried about KEH "Ugly" or "Bargain" condition. Even the one thing I've bought that was specifically marked as damaged (bent filter thread ring on a lens), they took the time to cut out the bent section, and file down the edges from where they cut, so you could still use the filter ring just fine, and it wasn't sharp or awkward looking at all. Many other things Ive gotten in "Ugly" shape look like they've been barely touched and I have no idea why its graded that way.

this is a big part of why.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Love my R6 1 to death. R7 is a great second bod, the crop factor comes in handy for a lot of things, and it’s a killer video camera. R5 is really good, but unless you absolutely need the print capabilities, R6 is the best.

The R1 is coming soon and supposedly will have a global shutter which will be really interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Can’t believe no one has done in body pano stitching yet. We got focus stacking, give us pano already!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh neat, looks like it does. The files are pretty small though compared to manual. Still cool.

I don’t ever do panos to get super wide views but to get much higher res shots of a scene, effectively increasing my sensor size to much larger than even medium format digital.

This one was 9 shots at 50mm in a 3x3 pattern.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Ah Brenizer method, nice job

Yeah sorta, but I try to keep it natural looking. Back around 2011ish I was in a small Flickr group with Ryan and a few others where we were experimenting with pushing that technique to extremes and we did some really stupid things like 70 shots at 135mm 1.8, creating really surreal 3d cutout looking portraits and multi GB files. I've settled on mostly doing 3 vertical frames stitched to a 4x5 or 1x1 ratio for portraits or 9 horizontal for landscapes, but some people still do the hyper exaggerated style.

I did this one yesterday, 3 vertical shots at 50mm, just to give a little bit more space in the frame but keep the same size subject relative to the camera. It has interesting effects on focal length not unlike anamorphic lenses.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

we did some really stupid things like 70 shots at 135mm 1.8, creating really surreal 3d cutout looking portraits and multi GB files.

I dug up one of those from 12 years ago, :lol: its so stupid and bad. Was a huge hit on Myspace though :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The R was basically a beta for the first full gen of Canon mirrorless. My partner got one but we stuck with DSLRs for weddings until we got the R5 and R6 because that felt like the actual massive jump forward in every way without some of the issues of the R and RP. The R6 II is by far the best choice at the moment unless you absolutely need massive prints or heavy cropping for like wildlife photos. Megapixels after a certain point are near meaningless, especially if they come at the expense of low light and autofocus performance, which is why all the top flagship bodies like the R3 and Sony A9 III are mid-MP count bodies, it lets them maximize the other features easier. The much smaller files also add up big time, especially when you have 2-5k photos from a single gig. If you're just doing portrait sessions and not printing giant 6 ft prints, I promise 20mp bodies aren't lacking at all, especially in all the ways it would be an improvement over the R you are already happy with.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a reason that body has a cult following while the mark ii onward didn't. The 5d Classic puts out the best looking files Canon has ever had in the right conditions. You need good light and the autofocus is extremely basic, but that sensor was magic. The mark ii+ never looked as good despite having much better ISO performance, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All of the Canon mirrorless bodies can be had dirt cheap. R6 1 and R5 were available from official canon refurbs for about 1k and 2k respectively, which is nuts. Includes full warranty too.

Also, if you ever buy straight from canon you can get a 10-20% discount from the loyalty program if you previously bought a Canon. It’s pretty easy, I think you just register your serial or whatever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you sentimentally attached to it? Because selling it would get you a whole lot of kit from Canon/Nikon/Sony and get you going smoother than getting a lens for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’ll be harder but it will make you better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Since there's no autofocus anyway you might look into vintage lenses. You can pick up good ones for pretty cheap ($50-100) and experiment with different focal lengths, see what you enjoy shooting at. Trade up to modern lenses when you have a better idea what you like to do.

I agree with this. Get a wide (<35) and normal (50) and a long (85+) and go hog wild.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes?

only if you're shooting fast stuff at 1.2

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

what

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://neilleifer.com/collections/muhammad-ali

or like, anything here

oh, you're doing the purposefully dense trolling thing again \/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Obviously, we're all being flippant here.

No, pretty sure it's just you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

You're probably right. There's a handful of good photos from every decade of the early and mid twentieth century, so manual focus is actually what everyone should be using in their photography. Nevermind the presumably vast number of lost opportunities.

Ease of use has led to a tremendous proliferation in photography. Do you figure this is a bad thing? Would it ever have happened without taking good pictures becoming easy as a result of cell phones? Of course not. A few pages ago there was that poster mocking the idea of spending a thousand bucks on a new camera because he thought that the average photographer wouldn't ever use the features on such a device and just wanted something barebones. I disagreed, but ya'll are wild. The number of actual people willing to go this far in their independent study of photography is miniscule. Like trying to sell someone seeking to go from listening to music streamed from Youtube straight into buying gold contact Monster cables to hook into a turntable.

You are exhausting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Photojournalist David Burnett shot the 2012 London Olympics with a loving speed graphic

Probably the most prolific photojournalist ever. His entire body of work is insane and great. He’s giving a feee talk in Miami soon I should try to catch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

the prism filter trend is really getting out of control

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

field balm posted:

Manual focus is cool, once you get used to what all the distances on your lens means it's even better for quick snapshotting

Having said that I've always used auto stuff on holidays just in case I miss shots, planning my next trip with just manual poo poo though

E: HUGE fan of joshua Paul's f1 photography shot on a camera from the 1910s

One of my favorite recently discovered photographers shoots a lot of portraits and weddings with the Nikon Noct 58mm f0/.95. Manual focusing wide open at that narrow DOP is nuts, but he says the modern focus peaking and LCDs make it pretty easy when combined with burst shooting

https://totovillaruel.com/blog/marvin-valeries-wedding-karuizawa-japan/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A Canon R8 would get you a full frame mirrorless with all the modern tech and quality for around 1k refurb. Same with an R6 body, which would have a few more features that kind of work doesn't really need (IBIS, dual memory cards, etc).

The main thing I would be looking at for lenses for that kind of work would be a macro lens for documents. The 35mm 1.8 is a macro lens while still being wide enough to make the shooting process pretty easy for archiving. The macro capability will make a big difference in the readability of your images.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

prom candy posted:

Looking for options for a camera that gets me a step or two above what I can do with a smartphone. The youtube algorithm pushed me towards the X100V but I don't want to pay a scalper and I also would like to be able to swap lenses. I think basically something on the smaller side that I can use for travel, street photography, some videography, dog pics, taking pics of birds and mushrooms at the cottage, etc. Ideally would be able to double as a webcam. I've had DSLRs in the past but the bulkiness kept me from taking them many places. Seems like nowadays there's smaller cameras that are pretty drat good?

Ricoh GR III (fixed lens) and Sony RX VII (big zoom range, lesser image quality arguably) tick the most boxes on your list. If video and birds matter more, go for the Sony. If image quality and simple but fun user experience matter, the Ricoh really punches above its weight (a lot of people compare it favorably or above the X100V).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

prom candy posted:

I just want something budget friendly that does everything I want it to perfectly with no compromises, is that so much to ask? also it should look cool

edit: but realistically i think i'm probably leaning more towards going mirrorless size to keep the interchangeable lenses vs. going all the way down to compact size

Sony A6700 would be my rec there. Great camera with a great family of lenses for it while still being very small.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

When I rented multiple Fujifilm cameras, I found out that actually using them made me feel like I was fighting the camera the whole time.

This is how I've felt with all of them as well, but I will say handling the GFX 100 II in B&H felt great. It's a massive, stupidly expensive camera without much of a lens lineup for my uses, but that thing felt really good in hand.

But so did the Nikon ZF, maybe even better. I think that kinda perfected Fuji's film aesthetic on digital bodies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I went from Canon to Fuji and much prefer having all the controls manual. I like not having to interact with menus. I have one lens without an aperture ring and it annoys me badly.

I really like the canon RF lens rings for this too. In manual I have the shutter on the top dial, aperture on the lens ring, and ISO on the rear wheel. In aperture or shutter priority I set it to exposure compensation for easy and quick exposure adjustments.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It will get all the fuji hipsters back into bikes in a big way!

Also dig the Thinktank retro, great bags

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

did the embargo lift on the Fuji X100VI today? My youtube feed is full of it this morning.

I checked my pockets, but I dont have a spare $1600 in them :smith:

Watched Kai's video and that man is supremely talented at making a 15 minute video about cameras without saying or showing absolutely anything about cameras

x100VI seems like a fine if unexciting upgrade. No brainer pick if you're buying new, but easy skip if you have the previous model.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm having a bag/storage crisis at the moment and need suggestions for any brands or models I might be overlooking. I changed up my kit a bit and my previous solution of a camera cube in a normal backpack is no longer cutting it for flights and short trips.

Kit:

2 canon bodies
24-70 2.8
50 1.2
70-200 2.8
hotshoe flash
accessory bag (fits in about the same size as a hotshoe flash)

Needs:

Good organization without being bulky or taking up the whole bag. I mostly travel with one bag including camera gear, so I need space for a few rolled up clothing items and a small toiletry bag.

Backpack style, no rollers or messengers.

14" laptop compartment

Tripod holder/water bottle sleeve would be a nice to have but not required

Ease of access in TSA line would also be great

Bags I've tried: Peak Design 30L everyday, Think Tank Retrospective, Manfrotto Pro Light, Wandrd Provoke (don't know which size it was)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Southern Cassowary posted:

used slrs were something i was thinking about because of all the secondhand lenses but i was concerned about buying into a lens ecosystem with no new lenses coming out and then having to futz with adapters if i wanted to upgrade to mirrorless later.

There's no need for new lenses on canon or nikon DSLRs because they have decades of every possible lens available. And adapters are a non-issue and the lenses perform even better on the mirrorless bodies if you upgrade in the future. I think the dslr route would be your best bet for near best performance/quality without paying top dollar. That has the best pros with the least cons IMO.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Can anyone explain the Sony a7siii to me? Like people say things about how it has great low light performance etc but then it has half the megapixels of my ten year old dslr

The Sony S line is heavily geared towards video use. You get 4k 20, great AF and low light, and a bigger battery for longer shooting.

Lower megapixel counts on the same full frame sensor size perform better in low light because of the pixel count. Bigger pixels catch more light, more pixels catch more detail. Same reason the r6 is better in low light than the r5 at ~half the MP.

The Sony FX6 and Canon C70 Netflix approved cinema cameras are similarly low megapixel counts at 12 and 8 respectively.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The ZF autofocus is world class and easily as good if not better than the r5/6/7. Can’t speak to Sony. That’s interesting that the F lenses don’t perform as well adapted, Canon EF lenses focus faster and more accurately adapted than on DSLRs.

Sony if you have interest in video as well and want access to the most native lenses now.

Canon if you want the best (and some unique to RF) lenses at both a price and weight/size premium.

Nikon if you want a rock solid system at very competitive pricing (ZF specifically).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

xzzy posted:

But it is coming. Their first party RF lens lineup is definitely getting better, lots of weird options and holes still but it is improving.

Only thing missing is a wide + fast L prime. The 10-20 L is great for super wide, but it's f4. Can't believe the fast 24/35 is still not even announced (the 35 1.8 is a great holdover thoguh). The prime trinity of 35/50/85 should have been released as fast as the zoom trinity. Also want to see a 20 or wider, as the cheapo 16 2.8 is pretty good too but I know an L lens will get crazy (like the rumored 12/14mm 1.2).

Other than those holes though, RF lineup is killer. The 28-70 f2, 24-105 2.8, and 100-300 2.8 are all incredible not only in coverage but also performance. They're just now rolling out RF cinema lenses too, which are doing similarly great things. I think at this rate, RF will go down as one of the all time great mounts which is what keeps me on Canon (along with the bodies already being great)

big black turnout posted:

God drat it now y'all have me thinking that maybe the z8 is reasonable off the back of the money I'll save sticking with Nikon...

Get the ZF with the 40mm pancake and use the extra 1800 towards a killer lens of your choice! Unless you really need the extra megapixels or hate the ZF styling I can't see a reason to go for the 8.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellatio del Toro posted:

don't think anyone was trying to suggest they didn't have enough lenses in the $2500-$20000 range lol

They've filled out their non-L line already though. They had the cheap 35/50/85s out early and they're great. The 16 and 24 primes are really good for the price too. They have cool stuff that performs well like the 28 pancake, the 100-400, etc. There's a non-L 24-105 and the f4 L lenses at 1200-1500 are some of the best value out their for pro lenses if you don't need speed. What are they missing on the low end?