Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That Shimoda Urban line looks like an improvement on the Peak bags in every way, I might try to wait for those to release and make do in the mean time. Thanks for the heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cabbage Disrespect posted:

I'd like something in between which lets me hold the camera at low ready for some tens of minutes of traipsing and free both hands to briefly navigate dense foliage w/o alarming levels of camera wobble. I'd like it to support the lens and the camera body and am picturing a big adjustable sling hooked to both, but am open to any and all goon suggestions.

Bonus points if you can comfortably crouch/squat/sit without manipulating this Device, but I can already cozily do those things while cradling the bird cannon so this isn't a dealbreaker.

What about one of those chest holsters?

https://www.amazon.com/Nicad-Carryi...ps%2C173&sr=8-5

You're going to look like a mega dork, but you're already carrying a 200-600 for birding :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FBS posted:

The only solution I've tried so far is a regular Peak Design shoulder strap, hooked to the tripod foot, which works well enough on the wide-open preserve trails I visit. The camera rests upside-down against my waist as I'm walking around and it's always accessible (though I wouldn't call it "low ready"). I don't carry a backpack so I can swing the camera to rest against my back when I need to step off-trail.

This is what I do when hiking and biking with my camera, but I tighten it up all the way to chest level so it doesn't have any swing. On the bike I spin it around so it sits on my upper back. The quick slide release on the peak straps is really handy (I have the pull tab thinner one, not the clip kind). I'm doing rim to rim at the grand canyon next month and attached a sling pouch to the camera strap along with my hydration vest to carry everything.

Speaking of straps and carry, when shooting events and concerts with two cameras I use a cable lock attached to the two peak straps and wear them like a dual harness system. It's more comfortable than the leather harnesses I've tried while being more adjustable too. This lets me keep the Think Tank belt bag in the middle for lens changes as well. The PD straps are really good and their only product that lives up to the hype for me.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want a camera to really learn photography with but that is still capable of pro quality something from the Canon 5D/6D line can be found for like 500 with a good prime lens (50 1.8 or 1.4, 85 1/8, 35 2).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My original Peak Design messenger bag died recently after ~8 years of using it mostly as a laptop bag but sometimes for camera gear. The strap attachment fabric wore out and tore on all 4 points, so I sent it in for them to repair but they just credited me for a new V2 bag. Don't really like the changes (one size that's smaller than my bag was, front pocket and laptop sleeves are built into the main compartment, etc), but it is nice to see they stand by their warranty like that. It'll still work for a laptop and single camera/2 lens bag I'm sure, but the old one could fit 2 bodies, 3 lenses, and a flash.

I also got 2 Think Tank lens changer 50 pouches to use on a leather belt as holsters for my cameras to take weight off my shoulders during longer shoots and those things are brilliant. Super overbuilt, padded, and big enough to not only hold a 24-70 or 70-200 2.8, but the rain cover fits over the body while attached. Combined with the Press Pass 10 bag, I can fit my full kit in a belt system and put them all in a small backpack for transit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm doing some work that requires sending over unedited JPEGs so I bought one of those expodisc tools (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V33G29?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) to see if it would make in camera white balance that much better and I'm kinda blown away by how effective it is.

This is a JPEG with the camera's auto white balance

This is a JPEG with custom WB after setting it to the disc

Just hold it against your lens and shoot a frame, then select that frame for your custom white balance setting. For RAWs you can get the exact same result in lightroom using the dropper tool on your expo disc frame and copying the white balance over, so for general shooting you don't have to do the in camera process.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

For 645 lenses, A, FA, and D FA lenses cover the film 645 format, whereas DA lenses are designed to only cover the reduced 44x33mm format.

quote:

The diameter of the illuminated field of P67 lenses is at least 90 mm. Concerning 645 digital cameras, the diagonal of the sensor is 55 mm and all the "vintage" A and FA 645 lenses cover more than this (Square root of (56 squared + 41 squared)) = 70 mm approximately.

I don't know if either of those help though. From here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/332887-645-image-circles.html

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LED or other forms of continuous lighting end up being way more intrusive than flash (unless you're popping prefires for focusing). Having a spotlight bright enough to balance with the fire would also likely mean people avoid it or only face away from it as well. For wedding dance floors, I always used manual zone focusing to get around the need for prefires or red beam focusing and shot lower power to not blind folks.

I would combine the ideas though and go off camera with the flash on a 10ft stand pointing down towards the scene.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 22, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just bought a knockoff hood for a canon lens (because gently caress paying $90 for a piece of plastic) and it’s 90% the same. Fits a little too tight when reversing but otherwise great and only cost $10.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Shimoda Urban line is almost out and definitely worth a look too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

I come from the far off realm of the 3d printing thread to point out this is a perfect use case:

https://cults3d.com/en/tags/lens+hood

Make me a rectangular hood that has a slot for slide in filters TIA