Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Would you give the idea of a [ $10 film point and shoot from a thrift store + $10-15 for 3 rolls of some rando colour film + MAX$20 for dev and scan ] a twirl? For a total of a cool $40-$50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What about the Yongnuo 35mm f2?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sauer posted:

I just came back from Yukon and brought a bag of primes with me (28, 50, 105, 200) with no zooms and wish I had just brought my plastic 28-85mm and a macro lens instead. Changing up lenses and carrying around a bag of heavy fast primes got old pretty fast

Y'all should stop listening to this one dude in here that said "always carry all of your equipment" lol i can't think of a worse thing

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm the half assed attempt at catching the thing

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Helicity posted:

A few related questions after being away from photography for quite awhile:

- I've got a Mamiya 7 + 80mm in really nice condition, and I just can't bond with the rangefinder style of shooting, so it's getting sold. The price on these is astronomical now. How do I go about selling this and minimizing my chance of getting screwed?

I on the other hand love rangefinder style cameras.
Sell it to me, in Canada.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You didn't mention a budget so I'd say get the x100v. It will get out of the way and produces good jpegs (so I've been told) so you won't need to waste time loving around in lightroom/photoshop

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

personally, there has not been a time where i wished i had used my phone instead of my point and shoot.
but there have been many times i wished i had my point and shoot when i only had my phone.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

One catalog, images are imported from folders - separate folders for digital/film, but then they all follow basically the same naming structure.

Film scans are saved in a month folder. They're auto named by the software with the date and the frame number:
/202107/2021-07-06 01.tif

On each negative sheet I write down the range of frame names that are in the sheet:
2021-07-06 01-07

As I edit and go over images I also tag them. If your tagging game is strong you can create smart collections out of the tags which makes it super easy.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 6, 2021

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Back when keh was good I got an "ugly" camera which was perfect with the exception of a few surface scratches and 1 bent strap loop, otherwise perfect.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

you know you're gonna https://www.negative.supply/shop-all/basic-film-carrier-35

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Can you expand on why you say that?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

It's an opinion, I have only shot ~60 rolls of 120 film, over the course of one year, I have never shot FF film, and so perhaps my opinion is bad, and perhaps/likely others have other goals, but ...
(1) I was interested in potentially doing prints, so a larger negative helps
(2) I find that 8-10 frames per roll slows me down enough to put in more effort to make each exposure count

Edit: If there were a certain desirable film stock (Aerochrome, for example) that was only available in 35 mm, I would probably try it out.

Right i can understand that.
I think a lot of people expect modern digital level detail out of 35mm and are disappointed when they use it.
Just like with everything related to photography,, 35mm is a tool and it results in a specific look and does specific things that mf/LF can't, and should be used with that in mind.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah I learned about the hat trick with the gw690 Fujis. No B on those so you gotta throw a cloth over the lens before manhandling the shutter dial to end the time exposure.

Don't use the shutter advance for that, it can damage the mechanism iirc.
Instead the official way to close the shutter is to change the aperture.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I had a wasabi Ricoh battery balloon on me

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Get her canon PowerShot G-something - G16, maybe something newer G5X ii?

Sure it's a fixed lens, but it's a zoom.
They're small, quick, have great image quality, and very importantly cheaper than something like the Fuji. Those are bigger and she'll be less likely to bring it along.

It's great for a beginner tbh, for the price.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Oh drat the g16 is 10 years old now. Still, great camera for the current price.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's why I'm saying to spend <$500 on a canon PowerShot G series camera

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I never bothered with the app mainly because it works 40% of the time. GPS worked 0% when I tried it.

I used the app a couple of times to take photos remotely, but yea you have to follow a strict set of steps to get it to connect and even then it's a crapshoot.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A usb-c cable works, for the gr3 and a Google phone. It sees it as storage. Just carry that wit you when you want to edit photos on your phone I guess.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

My go-to cheap point and shoot has been the Canon SureShot https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film153.html

I’ve been buying them for my wife as she breaks them, she’s on #2 going strong. first one was dropped and kept shooting until it fell apart some more. I found a third one for $10 in an auction that i’m keeping around.

I find the image quality better than the mju series. just as sharp in the centre, and sharper in the corners.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

when i was still learning photography i also went out and bought a flash, an alienbee, with a stand and a trigger and everything. i didn't enjoy that kind of flash work. it's really great to know how to light a scene using multiple strobes of course, but in my work that wasn't needed.

an on-camera flash or one mounted to the hotshoe (or hotshoe cable so it's a bit off the camera axis) is my preferred way of using flash and it works for me and my style of shooting.
to repeat what megabound said - use the flash in various different ways and see which one clicks.

these days i'm only using on-camera flash

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mine came with it. but it doesn't hold a charge, just a handful of flashes.
Would you know how to replace those cells with fresh ones?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound posted:

I want to make a lithium battery pack for mine, sick of buying double As

you could buy rechargeables!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea, that one, or get a powershot digicam.

i recommend the "newer" powershot G series, no, not the newest. Look for a G9, G10, G12 or G15 (these have all the manual and av/tv controls you need to get creative)

or look at the Canon SD790 (with CHDK for raw) or something that has RAW support built in, like the Lumix FX150 (my main digicam)

They're perfect for what you want to do - snapshot photography.

Example G15

Example FX150

Example SD790

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 2, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

thanks for all of the responses so far! leaning toward one of the ricohs.

or is this a big deal?

I had the gr2, and have the gr3, and while I used them extensively and they produce amazing quality photos, the fixed fov was always the most annoying thing and is why I ended up getting the G15. I haven't touched the gr3 in 2-3 years.

In my use case I like to do environmental photos - family snapshots etc - and also detail oriented photos - take a photo of just one thing without the noise surrounding it.
The step zoom feature is perfect for that.

I used to crop/get closer with the ricoh but it didn't quite work out.

You can also get the Canon G5X ii if you want something newer than a G15.

A caveat and warning - point and shoots can suffer from dust going on the sensor and you not being able to remove it without disassembling the whole cam.
My G15 has no dust and is an old camera and i don't baby it. But ymmv.
For that reason you could also consider going with a m43 camera.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 3, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Doesn't no autofocus basically cut you out of doing any of sort of photography other than essentially still landscapes?

skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Canon G5X ii (great handling super nice hold)
Lumix ZS100 (not easy to handle, very slippery)