Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SilverFire posted:

Does the fifth stratum look similar to Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl? I didn't quite make it yet in the original.

While the maps aren't exactly the same (though they are similar), the names of the Stratums are the same and they have the same visuals. The plot is expanded upon in story mode, but it's basically the same as in EO1 for what little the plot really matters in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 29 - gently caress deserts

So hey, I'm still alive. Sorry about the delay, final year project, other coursework, XCOM, and all kinds of other bullshit have left me with less free time than ever.

I should still be working, but my desire to procrastinate won out, so it's update time!

Seriously though, sorry about this taking so long. On the 'plus' side, the other LP I started has drifted into the archives, so I won't be splitting my focus as much. :v:

"...You're SURE you want to be an adventurer? It's a pretty risky thing for a young thing like you."

"Yup! It's all about playing with animals and stuff, right? They love me, they all just roll over when I'm around!"

"Eh, whatever. Runaway still has vacancies."

"Yay!"

"This won't do, though. I'll need to be in my best clothes to impress the stuff in the Labyrinth!"

"Waaay better!"

And so we murder frogs forever. Stratum 4 isn't really a good place for messing around in.

Better. Fran still pretty much dies if anything in stratum 4 looks at her funny, but she can at least contribute to fights. Some of them.

Battle theme - Destruction Begets Decay

I'm not sure if I actually showed off the battle theme in previous strata, but from here on out, we have a different one. I'm pretty fond of it!

I'm less fond of these guys, however. Flamerats are a pain in the rear end, hitting hard with regular physical and fire-elemental attacks. Naturally, they shrug off the party's fire attacks, but don't like ice at all.

Stratum 4 theme - The Withered Forest

"Oh boy. More hidden routes that we can't access yet, my favourite."

"That just means we get to wander round and meet more animal friends!"

"What kind of 'animal friends' want you dead?"

"Ones that aren't friends yet. But we can fix them!"

:sigh:

These things are dicks. They have a few annoying tricks, and their physical attacks are really nasty.

"Ugh. Gross."

"Nu-uh! It's just a smelly present!"

"Fine. But you're the one carrying it."

What the hell is Fenrir doing down here?!

Oh, nevermind. These things ARE effectively Fenrir though, they're all-but immune to ice damage, have an ice attack, and horrendously weak to fire. How the hell they're lasting in a desert is a mystery for the ages.

Jill's picked up a bit of passive TP regen, now, too. I'm always amused when the game admits "Yeah, the next level in this skill is completely useless, deal with it."

"Free medicine!"

"Right after you learn to regain your own TP."

"True. Still, free -status- medicine is always good!"

Especially here. I dropped Jill's status healing abilities at a terrible time. :v:

"Great. Useless treasure, and we're stuck in here. Good job leading us here."

"Bah, it's only when we lose heart that we're beaten. There's always a way!"

"Eh. You got lucky."

"Also, we have warp wire."

"Just stop talking, please."

"Someone's working out their frustrations on the wildlife, I see."

"Ooh, a ratsicle!"

I believe I've already mentioned it, but I hate this floor. It's basically Delphinus, for those who've played Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - and because the first game has quite a simple mapping system, you can't mark the way the drat sand is flowing, meaning you have to navigate by memory.

My memory is awful. Even if you COULD mark it out, it's still a pain in the rear end to get anywhere, and there are various rooms up top to explore - which then means you have to go ALL the way around the outside of the room again. Such fun! I can't tell if this is bad design, or incredibly good design, where the intention was to annoy the player into submission.

Given this is an Atlus game, I'm guessing the latter.

Sometimes, you can only actually see an FOE when turning. It's not easy to notice in motion, but if you screenshot it, they look humorously stretched out, apparently. :v:

FOE theme - A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes

"What the hell is that?!"

"A tree, with hands for leaves...? This place just keeps getting weirder."

Protip: Don't do this. Immunize does nothing against these guys. I had forgotten this!

"If it's a tree, setting it on fire sounds like a plan."

"You'd think that a desert would be full of stuff resistant to fire, really..."

"I've learned that logic doesn't really apply here. To the place, or this guild."

"Hey!"

"Ooh, if I pet it, maybe it'll pet me back!"

"I rest my case."

Here's why immunize does no good. The only attack I've seen them use is Venom, a poison attack that targets all, doing no damage by itself, but poisoning you, with fairly nasty results.

The poison deals a good 99 damage a round, but if you can bind their head, they can't use the skill anymore.

Also, Richter can hit pretty hard with his binding skills now. I was impressed!

"Oh for- Fran! Stop trying to pet the drat thing!"

"Only if Serasmus stops setting it on fire!" :mad:

"Not happenin'."

"Awww."

As far as FOEs go, these things are a pain in the rear end, but not actually difficult. As long as you can out-heal their poison damage, they don't seem to do much else. They do, apparently, have a skill called 'branch', but I've not seen them use it yet.

Appropriately, the rewards aren't amazing.

Hard or not, a resupply is in order. Their rewards remain un-amazing.

Debuffing the party defense is one of the Goldeer's annoying little tricks. Seeing as they already hit pretty hard, it's fairly bad news if they do it early-on in a fight, but they seem to favour just attacking, generally.

"Great. MORE FOEs."

"And they're the kind that chase us. Even better."

"Though, that does raise the question of how the hell a TREE is chasing us."

"Foul magic, no doubt."

"Oh, of course. As soon as anything inexplicable happens, it's always 'evil wizards' this, and 'burn the witch' that, I'll have you know that-"

"Save it, or I'll strangle you before the tree does."

"HUGS!"

"No hugs." :(

I don't even want to know what that is.

There's a mining spot down here! If I can be bothered getting our farmbots all the way down here, that might come in handy. Of note, that FOE down there is another Sickwood, that chases you only while you're in combat, whereas the other one just always chases you. I'm not sure why they did that!

"Leg hugs!"

"God damni-"

"Woah, what."

"Yaaay, my hugging chains got it!"

"I'm done. I'm not even going to question this."

Once again, the only way out of that room is through a one-way secret passage in the wall.

"Argh! What is with this floor and horrifying enemies?"

"Fran, I swear, if you try to hug this thing, this guild is disowning you."

"Damnit, Fran."

"Damnit, Fran."

News just in, immunize + defender are still overpowered as hell

"Oooh. Something actually good in a chest! That's rare."

Tempting as it is to stick this on Hector...

Richter is in serious need of a defensive buff. He still dies in a couple of hits to most things, so hopefully this'll give him one more hit.

"A man-made hollow is in the tree before you, waiting to receive something. You remember the stone tablet dropped by the mysterious shadow not long ago. Perhaps it would fit here... you resolve to fetch it from the Radha Hall's storage."

And I resolve to completely forget about this, and wander around the floor for ages wondering what I'm supposed to be doing. WHOOPS.

So hey, moving up to an FOE that chases you when you're in combat, with the combat warning thing being in red... nothing can possibly go wrong with that, right?

oh god something went wrong

"Damnit Jill, you'd better re-learn how to un-poison people."

Still, we won out. This party isn't really ideal, as it's very TP dependant for decent damage, but we're managing.

And got some cash out of the whole thing, excellent! Anyway, enough dicking about, we should probably go ask the Radha about that tablet.

Radha theme - Festival of Worship

"Ah... you say the stone tablet may be necessary to proceed deeper into the Labyrinth? One moment, please. I must confer with the Chieftain on a matter this important."

"About that stone tabelt you obtained the other day... Our studies have revealed a few things that you may want to hear. The girl you met is of the forest folk, a race which evolved differently from humans. They consider their forest home sacred ground, and seek to eliminate any human intruders. The forest folk seem to have been behind the deaths of many adventurers within the forest. Given that continued exploration of the Labyrinth is vital to Etria's livelihood... Further clashes with the forest folk are inevitable. That is why I will give you back this tablet, and ask a favor of you in return. I'd like you to accept the mission I'm issuing, effective immediately. The details will be provided later. I do hope that you'll accept."

...Well then. That escalated quickly. Seems we're being hired for genocide - this can only go well.

New shop stuff!

The War Mace requries 10x Carapce to make, and is... odd. Generally, weapon attack strength is not a priority when it comes to staves, and the HP buff still won't make your casters into tanks.

The Katzbalger certainly sin't bad, but it's not really a huge upgrade, either. You need a Shiny Horn from the Goldeer, and 5 Heated Fur from the flamerats to make it.

Not bad, but it's no Hachi. Needs 5 shiny horns.

Also not bad, but it only gives 3 more attack than the Shred Whip, taking strength bonuses into account, and no agility buff. I've stuck with Richter's current whip for now. Needs a White Fang from those not-Fenrirs, and 5 heated furs.

This certainly isn't a bad piece of armour. Decent defense, and it goes on most people. Needs 3 White Skin from the Sabermaws.

This is very, very nice. good defense, goes on most people, and it's not like there's a lot of competition for the helmet slot at the moment. Also needs 3 white skins!

Anyway, with that, the update comes to a close. Sorry again for letting this die for so long, I can't promise frequent updates, as I AM in my final year at university so my free time is fairly limited, but I'll try not to let things go for months like that again. :v: Thanks for not letting the thread fall into the archives while I was gone.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wait what? We're straight up ordered to massacre the forest folk? That's a bit excessive. How about some further diplomacy?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Between EOU coming out, then a bunch of other stuff coming out, I'd kinda forgotten about this. Glad to see this back!

100percentjesusfree posted:

I don't even want to know what that is.

Always, I want to tree with you
And make beleaf with you...

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Hooray, you're back :toot:

What the hell is that guy's problem with the forest folk? I'm sure they're perfectly nice people.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's good to see you back :neckbeard:

Fran fits in perfectly!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Yay, this is back!

So, why do we have to kill them? They haven't done anything to us yet, and I doubt that they have attacked any other parties - no one else has gotten down here yet.

I am so happy with how you have portrayed Fran.

Erlkonig
Dec 7, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Yay, this is back!

So, why do we have to kill them? They haven't done anything to us yet, and I doubt that they have attacked any other parties - no one else has gotten down here yet.

I am so happy with how you have portrayed Fran.

The Radha's marked the labyrinth as theirs, so anything that interferes with their exploration is considered hostile, would be how I'd justify it. Plus, the forest folk showed their opposal to us getting in their territory by siccing a huge fuckoff stingray on us.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Thanks, everyone. :) I'm glad Fran seems okay, I was worried I was going a bit too far with her.

SSNeoman posted:

Wait what? We're straight up ordered to massacre the forest folk? That's a bit excessive. How about some further diplomacy?

Yep! This moment always did make me go "Woah, what?", and unfortunately, while you get a lot of largely meaningless choices to build character, you don't get to choose whether or not your guild is okay with accepting a mission of genocide in order to progress. :v: (They don't give you the tablet if you don't accept it, so the Radha guy's statement about it being our judgment whether or not to accept is kind of bullshit. You can not accept if you want to just put the game down and give up, I suppose?)

I was actually googling around about this mission, and uh, some people get way, way too into this game, it seems.

Guy who takes videogames just a bit too seriously posted:

So, there I was, standing in Radha Hall, being told, basically, to commit genocide. I've been to this forum before and I figured I'd post something about this dilemma to the discouraging moments thread, but then I saw this thread started by Pyrosmurfy, expressing the same concern I have.

My guild, too, would have to draw the line there... but there was no way to continue the game without accepting the mission. If only the game gave me some sort choice, or an alternative path through the story! But no, the tablet was the only way, so I (very reluctantly) put down the game. Real life or a video game, I could not accept the mission.

... Today, a couple days later, I felt a piece of me quietly die as the "mission accepted" sound plays on my DS. I caved. The curiosity was too strong. "Just a game... just a game...." I have not read any of the spoiler-containing replies in this thread, but I'm desperately hoping the game provides a chance of avoiding the chieftain's desired resolution.

A general question: since the mission must be accepted to continue past B17, I assume most people here have gone through this little issue. For those of you who did pause, how long did you pause for, and did you consider dropping the game entirely on moral grounds? I suppose I ask this question both from the perspective of you the player, and from the perspective of your characters (which may or may not overlap.)

Emphasis mine. I can't say I've ever run into a situation in a videogame where questionable moral choices have been enough to make me put it down.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Erlkonig posted:

The Radha's marked the labyrinth as theirs, so anything that interferes with their exploration is considered hostile, would be how I'd justify it. Plus, the forest folk showed their opposal to us getting in their territory by siccing a huge fuckoff stingray on us.

And this, of course, can only be answered with Genocide! Don't want to be fantasy Hitler? Too bad, progress grinds to a halt. Ah, video game logic. :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Heh, that's a great overreaction. I'll admit, suddenly being asked to commit genocide was unexpected, but that sort of reaction is just silly.

Besides, anyone who lives in a place that annoying to navigate must be a wrongun. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Heh, that's a great overreaction. I'll admit, suddenly being asked to commit genocide was unexpected, but that sort of reaction is just silly.

Besides, anyone who lives in a place that annoying to navigate must be a wrongun. :v:

To be fair, I would have seriously thought about stopping at that point, too. On the other hand, compiling an overblown post like that to complain about being forced into commiting fantasy genocide is a bit much, that's true. The most amusing thing for me is however: He first puts down the game in disgust (and I can feel with him, there is a more than even chance I would have done the same) but just a few days later he caves in to his curiosity and commits fantasy genocide, anyway.

If it's just a game for him, why is it so hard to stop playing? Something about this thought just makes me smile.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Libluini posted:

To be fair, I would have seriously thought about stopping at that point, too. On the other hand, compiling an overblown post like that to complain about being forced into commiting fantasy genocide is a bit much, that's true. The most amusing thing for me is however: He first puts down the game in disgust (and I can feel with him, there is a more than even chance I would have done the same) but just a few days later he caves in to his curiosity and commits fantasy genocide, anyway.

If it's just a game for him, why is it so hard to stop playing? Something about this thought just makes me smile.

Yeah, I'm not super fond of this not being some kind of choice, and I half wonder if that's been changed in EO Unlimited Untold? (Whatever the remake thing is called), it'd certainly be a nice touch.

I just found the overdramatic "Just a game... just a game..." and the bit about a piece of them 'dying inside' to be kind of hilarious. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Yeah, I'm not super fond of this not being some kind of choice, and I half wonder if that's been changed in EO Unlimited Untold? (Whatever the remake thing is called), it'd certainly be a nice touch.
It's unchanged in Classic mode, though that's to be expected. Someone who played through EOU in Story mode will have to comment on how the characters react to it.

EOU also throws Sabermaws (or whatever they changed the name to) at you in the very first stratum, which surprised the hell out of me before I realized they weren't Fenrir. Fenrir actually has an entirely new look in EOU--I think he's the only enemy who got a serious overhaul.

(apologies for the lovely pic, this is the only GIS result for some reason)

Erlkonig
Dec 7, 2012
Well, these kind of controversial measures taken to advance the story are a returning theme in the EO series, it's just that the first game is considerably unpolished so the twist here is so forced that it feels rude, while in the other games if it happens it generally feels more justifiable.

quote:

EOU also throws Sabermaws (or whatever they changed the name to) at you in the very first stratum

They do? I've never fought one.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's unchanged in Classic mode, though that's to be expected. Someone who played through EOU in Story mode will have to comment on how the characters react to it.
In story mode the characters are all "what the hell, I don't like this, can't we do something" and eventually come to the decision to push forward but try to talk first before resorting to combat. It's not terribly different, just with actual lines.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

theshim posted:

In story mode the characters are all "what the hell, I don't like this, can't we do something" and eventually come to the decision to push forward but try to talk first before resorting to combat. It's not terribly different, just with actual lines.

At least there's the 'option' to try diplomacy. That's not as bad as "Kill everything, no other options".

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Erlkonig posted:

They do? I've never fought one.

You run into them in the area behind the white door that leads to Golem.

Also, holy crap, it lives! Good to see this thread back.

Reco fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 18, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe there's a bill up in the diplomat's guild looking for people to talk through this problem. But as we're with the explorer's guild, we'll never see it.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

I just found the overdramatic "Just a game... just a game..." and the bit about a piece of them 'dying inside' to be kind of hilarious. :v:

To be fair, I died a little inside when I found out Maven Black-Briar was untouchable. Her invincibility was such a huge betrayal of Skyrim's mission statement of sandbox wish fulfillment that I just felt too swindled to keep playing. EO suddenly going from "0% Plot, 20% Anime, 80% Exploration, 100% Masochism" to "Spec Ops: The Line" is just- Oh, wait, he got all "DWAMA" entirely on moral grounds in a game that amounts to Wizardy minus the pop culture jokes. Well now I look like a :spergin: jackass.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Why does a dungeon, which is a forest, lake or desert, have multiple levels? Are the floors on top of tree branches? Why are their doors in the forest? What kind of chests are those weird boxes with saplings growing out? Should one just take this stuff for granted, or are there explanations behind this bizarre take on dungeon delving? :psyduck:

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
A wizard did it.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Ulvirich posted:

Why does a dungeon, which is a forest, lake or desert, have multiple levels? Are the floors on top of tree branches? Why are their doors in the forest? What kind of chests are those weird boxes with saplings growing out? Should one just take this stuff for granted, or are there explanations behind this bizarre take on dungeon delving? :psyduck:

The fifth stratum has all the answers... till you beat the game and unlock the *REAL* answers in the bonus dungeon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ulvirich posted:

This is still EO1, so you essentially wander down an extensive network of caves. Deeper and deeper, until you hit the final stratum.

In E02 it goes up, then in EO3 down again. I've forgotten how it works in EO4, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Libluini posted:

This is still EO1, so you essentially wander down an extensive network of caves. Deeper and deeper, until you hit the final stratum.

In E02 it goes up, then in EO3 down again. I've forgotten how it works in EO4, though.

Instead of a single mega-labyrinth consisting of multiple 5-floor strata, you have an overworld consisting of four lands going north towards the Yggdrasil tree, and each land has its own three-floor labyrinth as will as a number of smaller single floor caves to explore. For the final stratum, there's a single-floor large dungeon that also connects to the unexplored portions of the third floors of the previous four labyrinths, linking them all together.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Instead of a single mega-labyrinth consisting of multiple 5-floor strata, you have an overworld consisting of four lands going north towards the Yggdrasil tree, and each land has its own three-floor labyrinth as will as a number of smaller single floor caves to explore. For the final stratum, there's a single-floor large dungeon that also connects to the unexplored portions of the third floors of the previous four labyrinths, linking them all together.

Neat, that's even better than the ocean in EO3!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 30 - The plot thickens exists

Welcome back everyone! Last time we were...

Uhh, oh. Yeah. That was a thing.

"That doesn't sound fun..."

"Yeah. Adventure is one thing, Genocide... eh. We can just say we agree so we can continue, I guess. We can always try other methods as we progress."

"I'm right here, you know."

"That's nice. Yeah, we accept."

"Glad to hear it. Well then, let me give you the details. The Chieftain has told you most of what you need to know. Your task is to infiltrate the 16th floor where the forest folk dwell, and exterminate them. Honestly, were it up to me, I'd seek a peaceful resolution first, but... The Chieftain insists they are a threat, and that my views are too permissive."

"drat right. Who doesn't want to slaughter an entire race of people? Hippy."

"Serasmus!"

"I see sarcasm's lost on you, too. Fantastic."

"The Chieftain says that we must protect exploration of the Labyrinth, Etria's livelihood. In which case, I have no objections. The Chieftain speaks, and the Radha follows. Members of Runaway, I bid you good luck!"

"AUGH"

"Owwwwww... my eyes..."

"Ugh. At least we've found the way down. Perhaps we'll find what we're looking for if we progress."

"Thou who overcame Cotrangl... I concede thy strength, but for what purpose art thou here? Has Man forgotten the terms of the pact with the forest folk, which forbid entry here?"

Despite the girl's civil words, her expression is one of pure contempt. You ponder several methods of response to her question...

Oddly, the first choice ends the conversation, whereas the other two bring you back to this point, so I'll go through the other responses first.

"So, the Radha wants the lot of you dead. Any fun facts about your race you care to share that might help us convince them to change their mind?"

"Has it been so long for Man to have forgotten us...?"

The girl seems to ponder this.

"Would that thou hast forgotten the forest as well... 'Twould be better for all concerned."

"No, talking like a shakespeare reject won't change anyone's mind."

The girl's voice is rich with wisdom... Eventually, she proceeds, recalling something.

"The forest folk differs from Man in that 'tis our destiny to protect this forest. It is our sacred duty to prevent humans from delving deeper into the forest."

The girl's eyes never leave you during her harsh explanation. You hesitate to ask further...

You ready your weapon as a precaution against the humanoid girl standing before you.

"Huuug!"

Seeing this, the girl laughs spitefully before continuing.

"Oh, so? Is it Man's way to draw arms against a lone girl?"

"I keep telling you, these are my hugging chains!" :mad:

Still laughing, she points a mocking finger at the forest.

Why she's mocking the forest is beyond me.

"Think thou that I can stop you alone? I cannot. But the forest can protect itself... Thy journey from here will be a short one."

The girl gives a cruel smile, her eyes never leaving you. You hesitate to brave the girl's sharp tongue again and ask another question...

"You mentioned a pact. Care to fill us in?"

"Is the ancient pact forgotten?"

The girl sighs crossly, disdain for you evident in her gaze.

"Mayhap thou want reminding. I shall tell thee, if thou agree to quit this place afterward."

She continues in this manner, her strange, harsh speech counter to her innocent appearance.

Yes, when I think innocent, I think terrifying parrot-fish-clowns with a thousand yard stare.

"In ancient times, the forest was born from the World Tree, and we folk were born with it. Mankind, living outside the sacred grounds, was entranced by its beauty and entered here. In the ensuing holy war against Man, we lost many... Thus, our people formed a pact. Man would stay in the Sealed Land, and we would withdraw forever to our sacred ground. Never would our two races again meet, for fair or foul.

...That is the pact of which I speak, that thou violate with thy presence here."

"Wait, so humanity was winning, then agreed to a pact to stop coming into the Labyrinth, which was what the fight was about in the first place? I sorta fail to see what we got out of this."

"Quit poking holes in the plot, now it's finally showing up!"

The girl points at you accusingly.

"Thou will plead ignorance no longer! Proceed further into the forest at thine own peril!"

"Haven't we been proceeding at our own peril since we first stepped in here?"

With this, the girl flees into the forest so quickly that she appears to vanish instantly. You have no way of knowing if the girl spoke truly, but your investigation must continue.

So, a new floor! And with a new floor comes a new enemy. These things loving suck.

"AUGH"

:gibs:

Yeah, this kind of thing happens a lot. Richter's... not super helpful at the moment. Dark Hunters work best when they can dodge a lot of attacks, and seeing as he's a bit underlevelled due to the party swapping shenanigans, he dodges about as well as he takes hits. That is to say, abysmally.

"Oh hey, hidden passages. Great."

Welcome to the gimmick of this floor - invisible paths EVERYWHERE. You cannot get anywhere without going through a bunch of them, most of which are one way. Enjoy rubbing your face up against every wall to figure out where you're going!

For bonus points, unlike Strange Journey, there's no sidestepping. Our intrepid adventurers have to take a step, spin around on the spot, take another, repeat, and so on.

Gameplay!

Despite the name, these things are oddly fond of launching moderately decent physical attacks. I'm sure they have some other tricks up their sleeve, but they're vulnerable to fire, so Serasmus burns them to death before they get a chance. :v:

More sickwoods. They're still not really a threat.

Plus the escape route is right here!

However, we're kind of run down. Even with TP regen, Jill runs low on TP fast, and Serasmus burns through his pretty quickly, too. Back we go! I'm half regretting giving Jill TP regeneration in the first place, it's not helping as much as I hoped it would, and I'm going to regret the lack of status healing later. Oh well! I might need to re-spec again, we'll see.

This floor has some interesting secret passages. It's not very often you see one that goes for more than just one square like that! The gimmick is still irritating, though.

This one's also worth taking, for a different reason:

"More free medicine!"

"Normally I'd complain, but with how you and Serasmus seem to keep exhausting yourselves, this is a godsend."

"Hm. We can either pass through here, and know where we're going... or we can go through the other secret passage behind us. Safe choices versus adventure..."

"Hey, we wouldn't be adventurers if we kept playing it safe."

"Fantastic choice there."

"Again, safety versus..."

"ADVENTURE!"

"For once, I agree with her."

"Great."

This passage is well worth taking, as you wind up able to go through it both ways, making it slightly easier to navigate this floor.

Anyway, again, I had to go heal up after all of this messing around. This was starting to eat into our funds, s oI went on a bit of a mining expedition!

Which lead to this. The sickwoods all respawned while the party were resting. :v: Fighting FOEs with two party members who are basically useless can only go well, right?

Actually, you'd be surprised. We wound up fighting two of them in a row, and still came out just fine. Dietrich is a huge help, and as far as FOEs go, Sickwoods are just kinda pathetic.

In any case, our mining went well, and we made a fair bit of money again! Huzzah.

"Oh! We found the way down. That was... easy."

"Annoying, though."

"Oh, yeah, definitely."

You feel threats all around you within this expansive space in the Labyrinth. Whether it stems from forest folk or other dangers, extreme caution is called for here. You feel you should report to the Radha regarding the forest folk before going any further.

Yup. The game won't let you advance, again. :v: It sure does love forcing you to repeatedly go through some extremely irritating floors.

"Whatever foul thing made this place seems to have an odd sense of humour. No shame in killing adventurers, but there's nowhere you can get stuck."

"Yeah. I'm not complaining, though!"

"Well, that was pointless. We should probably actually go see the Radha."

"What...? You met a girl of the forest folk? A pact between the humans and the forest folk... An ancient promise... I feel that in the Labyrinth's depths lies something that has been lost to antiquity... WIth your help, I hope to find out what that may be. The Cheiftain, though... Honestly, I haven't any notion of what he is thinking."

"Probably trying to think up other species he can have us slaughter."

"He has been calling in his two pet adventurers moer frequently of late... Perhaps we should speak to him about this together."

"I've read your report. It seems your investigation is going smoothly. It says here you've met the forest folk, and they assert that the forest is theirs... By dint of an ancient pact... There seems to be no mistaking their claim.

Regardless... if we accede to this, Etria will have no source of livelihood. The Labyrinth and the explorers it attracts... They are the backbone of this town. We cannot lose that because of a long-forgotten promise to these forest creatures! Adventurers... The terms of the mission stand. Exterminate the forest folk at all costs, for Etria's sake. Their very existence... It is a threat, and must be removed."

"Great. You don't want to move, so the natural thing to do is invade another sentient species home and massacre them. And we're supposed to be the good guys?"

What a lovely chap.

"Have you finished discussing things with the Chieftain? He seems quite insistent on the matter... He won't brook any discussion on what to do. They may look human, but you will have to remember in battle that they are not. I understand your reluctance, but you are the only ones we can rely on. It will be a hard-fought battle... I wish you luck. But I wonder... Why won't the Chieftain send his two favorites to do the job...?"

When we try to leave...

"So, they've reached the forest folk's home. No adventurer has yet entered there... The Runaway Guild... Something must be done about them. If the forest folk destroy them, all to the good. But if the ancient ones fall... We may require... specialists. Even then, Runaway's curiosity may overcome even those warriors... In which case, they would learn the secrets of the Labyrinth... What foolishness. Even if the mystery is solved, nothing will change. None will profit from such a thing..."

So, turns out the guy who wants us to commit genocide is... EVIL.

Unfortunately, he was smart enough to say all this while we were safely off-camera, so no one heard it. :v: So, time to go slaughter some unsuspecting forest folk! Tune in next time for that, I guess.

No status update this time, because I wound up playing enough for two updates at once, and sort of forgot to take screenshots for stats and such. Oops.

New Shop Stuff

The Vine bow is decent, giving slightly more attack than the previous bow, even counting in the strength boost. It doesn't give a TEC boost, but that's kind of irrelevant.

It needs a dried vine, taken from Hexroots, and a tendon from an Immoa.

The tiger hand isn't super interesting. A nice defense boost, though there are some other decent items that can go in the gloves slot. Needs a Dried Vine and 3 White Skins

The tiger boot is pretty excellent. Decent defense, and a drat nice agility boost, for any class that's not a caster. It's great to stick on protectors, so they can get their defensive skills in as quickly as possible.

Requires 7 White Skins.

The steelsword is a fine upgrade for sword users, with a fairly huge attack boost compared to other weapons available at the same time.

It requires a Steel Chip, which you can find by mining in Stratum 4, or by killing an enemy we've not met yet on B18.

Shida needs 5 Steel Chips, and suffers the same problem that all currently available Katanas have, in that it's not Hachi.

Another sweet boot, and this one's good for casters! It requires 3 Fire Tails, and 7 Steel Chips. Fire tails come from flamerats. If Bahamut wore shoes, it'd probably be these!

Seriously though, what is it with Japan and rat tails.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2013

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I recently finished a Story Mode play through in the Etrian Odyssey: Untold remake, currently going through the post-game. Looks like I found this Let's Play at a good time, since I was curious about how the original game handled the plot from the 4th Stratum onwards, as the EO:U Story Mode does things a bit differently from how I remembered the original going. Memories of the original game from years ago do make me appreciate the refinements and improvements that have come from the sequels and the move to a new system, though. Hopefully we can see the post-game in this thread's playthrough, since I didn't have the capabilities to do anything beyond the main game those years ago.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

"So, they've reached the forest folk's home. No adventurer has yet entered there... The Runaway Guild... Something must be done about them. If the forest folk destroy them, all to the good. But if the ancient ones fall... We may require... specialists. Even then, Runaway's curiosity may overcome even those warriors... In which case, they would learn the secrets of the Labyrinth... What foolishness. Even if the mystery is solved, nothing will change. None will profit from such a thing..."

The dialogue is the same in Untold's classic mode, but when the chieftain says his last lines here in the remake, his face gets all shadowy and his eyes glow bright red. Apparently Atlus thought his evilness wasn't obvious enough. :downs:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The dialogue is the same in Untold's classic mode, but when the chieftain says his last lines here in the remake, his face gets all shadowy and his eyes glow bright red. Apparently Atlus thought his evilness wasn't obvious enough. :downs:

Stay tuned for the 2018 remake, in which they change his name to Lived Eht, and sinister orchestral music starts playing whenever he says anything, I guess. :v:

AccidentalHipster posted:

To be fair, I died a little inside when I found out Maven Black-Briar was untouchable. Her invincibility was such a huge betrayal of Skyrim's mission statement of sandbox wish fulfillment that I just felt too swindled to keep playing. EO suddenly going from "0% Plot, 20% Anime, 80% Exploration, 100% Masochism" to "Spec Ops: The Line" is just- Oh, wait, he got all "DWAMA" entirely on moral grounds in a game that amounts to Wizardy minus the pop culture jokes. Well now I look like a :spergin: jackass.

Nah, you're not being a jackass, I might've been being a little harsh. I guess I'm just easily amused by somewhat overdramatic posts :v:

Ulvirich posted:

Pretty much what people have said so far - right now, as far as we know, wizards/fairies/forest folk did it. We may or may not find out a bit more if we progress, though!

The chests are still p. weird, though, especially with how they seem largely full of random junk. :v:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The weirdest part is how that shot is in the intro movie of the game as well, it kind of seems like a huge spoiler to put there
like I am still in the first stratum but I already saw it in the intro even

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nobody ever said your group of fighters diving into a cave to kill wildlife for profit were "good guys" in the first place I guess? v:v:v

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Dr Pepper posted:

Nobody ever said your group of fighters diving into a cave to kill wildlife for profit were "good guys" in the first place I guess? v:v:v

Honestly, considering how Etria's economy is entirely reliant on the labyrinth not being fully explored, you really aren't "good guys".

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.

Dr Pepper posted:

Hey, that wildlife wanted everyone else dead first, starting with the tiniest of rats mauling people. It's just self defense!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

asvodel posted:

The weirdest part is how that shot is in the intro movie of the game as well, it kind of seems like a huge spoiler to put there
like I am still in the first stratum but I already saw it in the intro even

See, this right here is why I never watch intro movies or trailers anymore. Because there are spoilers everywhere. I always watch the intro cinematic after I've beaten the game once because I don't want to chance it. And everytime I've been glad I did.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah it's hardly the only one like that,
though I was already familiar with most of the spoilery plot from classic EO1 at least before seeing it I guess
Other than the one bit it is a really cool intro though, Atlus sure has been throwing a lot of money at animation studios as of late

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Maybe his line of thought goes something twisty like this: we can't allow this Guild to keep on exploring, so we'll tell them that if they want to go on, they have to commit genocide. If they agree, then hey, these are people who just agreed to genocide! We need feel no qualms about trying to kill them later. Never mind that we told them to do it.

100percentjesusfree, this LP is amazing and very well written. I've spent a couple of days reading the whole thing so far.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Van Dine posted:

Maybe his line of thought goes something twisty like this: we can't allow this Guild to keep on exploring, so we'll tell them that if they want to go on, they have to commit genocide. If they agree, then hey, these are people who just agreed to genocide! We need feel no qualms about trying to kill them later. Never mind that we told them to do it.

100percentjesusfree, this LP is amazing and very well written. I've spent a couple of days reading the whole thing so far.

Haha, possibly! It'd be more plausible if the remake didn't apparently give him sinister glowing eyes. :v:

And, thank you! I'm always second-guessing myself when I write things, wondering if some characters get too many/too few lines, musing about whether the character interaction just gets in the way, etc etc, so it's really reassuring to know you're enjoying it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So did your opinion of hexers change or is it too soon to tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SSNeoman posted:

So did your opinion of hexers change or is it too soon to tell?

They still rate as FF. here, have some flashbacks to game genie and savestate 'hacking'

• Locked thread