Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Habit + Book Of Revelation is my crutch. :smith:

+knife = Isaac the battering ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
For the new page: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/101122037969/its-keeps-going-and-going-and-going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwVw8-L6b98

I was saying to myself, how cool would it be to have something that let you "stock" a second charge in your usable item? And here we are, the updated Battery. The updated 9-volt reduces the charge time of items by 1 room, and turns a 1-room item into a timed-recharge item. Which means I might actually get some use out of some of these crappy attack items.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

God almighty this is gonna be longest week. November 4th can't get here soon enough.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

IMJack posted:

For the new page: http://bindingofisaac.com/post/101122037969/its-keeps-going-and-going-and-going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwVw8-L6b98

I was saying to myself, how cool would it be to have something that let you "stock" a second charge in your usable item? And here we are, the updated Battery. The updated 9-volt reduces the charge time of items by 1 room, and turns a 1-room item into a timed-recharge item. Which means I might actually get some use out of some of these crappy attack items.

I wonder what this means for items that are already timed. Candle shots as fast as tears?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder what this means for items that are already timed. Candle shots as fast as tears?

If this is how it works, I look forward to use of the Bean, as it's already been upgraded to Candle-recharge.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Seems the second secret video is hinting at the 3DS version, the title of the video is from SNES hacking and the resolution is the same as the 3DS top screen.

Also whens the new thread happening?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Rebirth comes out like, really soon so probably then.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
One week :toot:

Had a Cain run today with Mom's Knife end in The Chest. I don't think I'm ever gonna come around to Mom's Knife. I just prefer having tears/knockback.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

One week :toot:

Had a Cain run today with Mom's Knife end in The Chest. I don't think I'm ever gonna come around to Mom's Knife. I just prefer having tears/knockback.

Mom's knife becomes a lot more useful when even a few tears or ranges up.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

Seems the second secret video is hinting at the 3DS version, the title of the video is from SNES hacking and the resolution is the same as the 3DS top screen.

Also whens the new thread happening?

This is gonna be the best drat game for bus rides and crap. I can't wait for 3ds isaac.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vakal posted:

Mom's knife becomes a lot more useful when even a few tears or ranges up.
Range items don't actually affect the range with mom's knife at all. I think they decrease charge time though.

how anyone could still not like mom's "kill endgame bosses in less than 10 seconds" knife in tyool 2014 is beyond me

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Started replaying this with the intention of getting the Left Hand and with that Platinum God and oh god I'm out of practice, only beating Mom twice in the past two days of playing :negative:

Oh well, I can forget about it when Rebirth comes around

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IronicDongz posted:

Range items don't actually affect the range with mom's knife at all. I think they decrease charge time though.

Yes they do. If you get enough range-downs you can barely throw it and are basically melee-only from that point on.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have the thread OP for Rebirth ready for whenever.

I may not be able to post it right when Rebirth comes out as I may be working because I am a dumbfuck idiot who forgot to take the day off enjoy not spiraling into debt.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 28, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Color Printer posted:

I have the thread OP for Rebirth ready for whenever.

I may not be able to post it right when Rebirth comes out as I may be working because I am a dumbfuck idiot who forgot to take the day off enjoy not spiraling into debt.

Just post it on Halloween or something.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RatHat posted:

Yes they do. If you get enough range-downs you can barely throw it and are basically melee-only from that point on.
please don't say things which are. literally just not true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNBP2U9hRpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UabKO6rGJlA
please

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 28, 2014

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Okay so I want to TRY to get Platinum God before rebirth hits on the regular game. Here's my stats:

The secrets say I have 92/97 unlocked. What am I missing? :confused:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That's really weird, I definitely remember range affecting it. Was it changed in a patch or am I apparently crazy?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Waffleopolis posted:

Okay so I want to TRY to get Platinum God before rebirth hits on the regular game. Here's my stats:

The secrets say I have 92/97 unlocked. What am I missing? :confused:

All the no hit achievements and Golden God?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

cryptoclastic posted:

All the no hit achievements and Golden God?

That or a bunch of Chest wins, unless "bosses unbeaten" tracks those individually.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Using a checklist, I found out I'm missing Dark Boy, Mama's Boy, chest wins with Samson and Eve, and The Left Hand

...which is really hosed up because I ALREADY DID THOSE. :mad:

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Check your achievements by hitting "View All Achievements" and then "View global achievement stats" and then "Compare these achievements to your own" and check which ones are greyed out. That might help you figure out what you're missing.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

SecretSquirrel posted:

Check your achievements by hitting "View All Achievements" and then "View global achievement stats" and then "Compare these achievements to your own" and check which ones are greyed out. That might help you figure out what you're missing.

Just did, and all it says I'm missing is Platinum God. :saddowns:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Color Printer posted:

God almighty this is gonna be longest week. November 4th can't get here soon enough.

How long do you think until someone manages to decompile the code?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just realized I'm more excited for this game than I was for 3DS smash :psyduck:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

SecretSquirrel posted:

This won't help if you've ever reset your game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RatHat posted:

That's really weird, I definitely remember range affecting it. Was it changed in a patch or am I apparently crazy?
I don't think it did so I think you might be.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
No, I too remember a time when Mom's knife could be effected by range items. I doubt it's a group hallucination. I'm guessing either there was a patch that fixed and/or broke the functionality or the expansion did. It's been a long time since I've played, since I've been holding off until rebirth, so I don't remember how far back I observed the range effects on Mom's knife.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anchors posted:

No, I too remember a time when Mom's knife could be effected by range items. I doubt it's a group hallucination. I'm guessing either there was a patch that fixed and/or broke the functionality or the expansion did. It's been a long time since I've played, since I've been holding off until rebirth, so I don't remember how far back I observed the range effects on Mom's knife.

Been a long time since I've played, take as an anecdote only, but from memory moms knife sets your damage and range to a set number which could be increased via damage increase and range increase items assuming you collected the knife at an early enough point.

For range, all it really meant is that your maximum range on the knife before it boomeranged back to you was increased.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's confirmation bias rather than hallucinations. The abyssmally low range of the knife leads you to think that range up/down have affected it because you're expecting it to have an effect.

tithin posted:

Been a long time since I've played, take as an anecdote only, but from memory moms knife sets your damage and range to a set number which could be increased via damage increase and range increase items assuming you collected the knife at an early enough point.

For range, all it really meant is that your maximum range on the knife before it boomeranged back to you was increased.

Someone just posted a video that shows range doesn't have an effect on the knife.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
I have read through the code and done extensive testing on how knife range works. Range items and tear rate items both affect the charge rate, either positively or negatively depending on whether the item is positive or negative. The maximum distance the knife can be thrown never changes.

It's pretty reasonable to think about range down items "reducing range" though, because, what, are you going to sit there charging the knife for 10 seconds before each throw?

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 28, 2014

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Do range up and range downs affect brimstone charge rates in a similar fashion?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
No. Brimstone does have unlimited range, even if the visual effect doesn't appear that way. Tears stat doesn't change charge times too, most of the difference comes from other items interacting with Brimstone.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I was asking if the range stat affected the charge time, not the range. But if tears doesn't affect it, then it would be silly for range to affect it. :shrug:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Yeah my saved game is hosed up. I did a run-through and beat ??? with Eve (her Bird foot was missing from the list) and upon competion, nothing happened. It bums me I'll never get Platinum God listed in my steam account. :(

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

Yeah my saved game is hosed up. I did a run-through and beat ??? with Eve (her Bird foot was missing from the list) and upon competion, nothing happened. It bums me I'll never get Platinum God listed in my steam account. :(

The bird foot is glitched, you have to beat ??? with ??? to get it.

I think Eve and ???'s chest achievements are switched.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just realized that Epic Fetus + D6 + Battery means unlimited rerolls so long as I leave a room uncleared.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

pussy riot police posted:

I was asking if the range stat affected the charge time, not the range. But if tears doesn't affect it, then it would be silly for range to affect it. :shrug:

Range stat has no effect on brimstone at all.

Tears stat does have an effect on brimstone charge, but you start out at the maximum charge rate. If you get tears down items like quad shot, poly, or a tears down pill, it will slow your charge. Tears up items can improve it back up again, but never above the starting rate.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dis astranagant posted:

I just realized that Epic Fetus + D6 + Battery means unlimited rerolls so long as I leave a room uncleared.

Ed doesn't mind horribly imbalanced runs and that is just dandy with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And Satan still almost killed me even with 10 hearts.

• Locked thread