Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

For some reason I didn't expect them to change old items that much until I read the latest post on the website. Anyway, the game comes out really soon, can't believe the journey's almost over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I realize we don't actually know the answer, but is there any reason to be concerned about the new version's performance on a Mac? Just booted up the old one via Steam and forgot how crazy slow it plays on Mac.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

I realize we don't actually know the answer, but is there any reason to be concerned about the new version's performance on a Mac? Just booted up the old one via Steam and forgot how crazy slow it plays on Mac.

I'd be really surprised if it ran worse than the original. Binding of Isaac runs worse than it should on every platform and is basically held up together by glue and duct tape.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cobalt60 posted:

The original game is made in Flash, which is why it runs like crap and has all sorts of issues/problems that can't and thus weren't fixed.

Rebirth is being developed in an actual game engine that, besides letting Edmund design the actual game he wants to make, means that performance shouldn't be an issue.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

And in addition to what Andrast said, Rebirth has apparently been remade from the ground up, with a new custom-made engine. So it hopefully won't have all of the lovely sucky problems of lovely sucky Flash.

EDIT: Er, yeah, what VDay said.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Also, are you on a Retina screen? If so, find the program itself in your user folder, and turn on "Run in Low Resolution". It runs so much faster that way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, finally beat The Purist! Thanks, Epic Fetus!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

VDay posted:

The original game is made in Flash, which is why it runs like crap and has all sorts of issues/problems that can't and thus weren't fixed.
Everyone always says this but it's actually not true at all. There's thousands of flash games all around the web that perform just fine and are not filled with crippling bugs. The problems in Isaac are because the code is so badly written. (sorry florian)

If you're a programmer and you read through the code and look at how it's structured, it's very obvious that its writer did not have a lot of experience designing programs this big. For example, global state is everywhere, many functions are very very long, and there are lots of variables that are sometimes strings, sometimes floats, and sometimes bools. It's impressive that it works as well as it does.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Is there gonna be a new thread for Rebirth next week? We'll need stuff to cram into the OP for links to new combinations and poo poo.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Hyphen-ated posted:

Everyone always says this but it's actually not true at all. There's thousands of flash games all around the web that perform just fine and are not filled with crippling bugs. The problems in Isaac are because the code is so badly written. (sorry florian)

If you're a programmer and you read through the code and look at how it's structured, it's very obvious that its writer did not have a lot of experience designing programs this big. For example, global state is everywhere, many functions are very very long, and there are lots of variables that are sometimes strings, sometimes floats, and sometimes bools. It's impressive that it works as well as it does.

It was never meant to be this big. It was a lovely little joke game that was meant to be offensive and risky. Ed was going to sell it to Adult Swim before he decided to put it on Steam as a stand-alone game. And then it got out of hand.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

IMJack posted:

It was never meant to be this big. It was a lovely little joke game that was meant to be offensive and risky. Ed was going to sell it to Adult Swim before he decided to put it on Steam as a stand-alone game. And then it got out of hand.

With the update that added the Chest didn't the game basically hit the size limit for a flash game too?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
The way I understand it, you can make bigger flash games but they would have to be built cleaner and more robustly from the ground up. Like previous posts said, the code is more or less constructed from belly button lint and glued together through voodoo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It just got to the point where it took literal days to compile.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Well, obviously as can be seen from spidermod + community remix the code was salvageable, but flash still has limitations and bad interactions that make it really undesirable for a game that's going to be as big as rebirth.

I'm wondering if we'll be looking at a midnight release or a daytime release on the 4th, I'm hoping the former, because I'm gonna be busy most of the evening and it will be torture the whole time if I don't get to play till I get home.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AndroidHub posted:

I'm wondering if we'll be looking at a midnight release or a daytime release on the 4th, I'm hoping the former, because I'm gonna be busy most of the evening and it will be torture the whole time if I don't get to play till I get home.

10am PST.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, finally beat The Purist! Thanks, Epic Fetus!

gently caress yeah, bombing into the secret room in the hopes of a good start and directly finding Epic Fetus is the best way to beat that challenge.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Does anyone know if it would be worthwhile to use a VPN? Would that allow me to get the game earlier, or does it unlock everywhere at the same time, which happens to be 10am PST?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Waffleopolis posted:

Is there gonna be a new thread for Rebirth next week? We'll need stuff to cram into the OP for links to new combinations and poo poo.

i think it was already mentioned that a new thread is planned and that someone is on the case

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, the guy with the Isaac avatar.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Chernabog posted:

Yeah, the guy with the Isaac avatar.

Color Printer is pretty much the best guy for the job, considering he decompiled the code and read through most of it, and he's why we know the wiki is full of crap.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The wiki is full of crap?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's full of misinformation.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

PostNouveau posted:

The wiki is full of crap?

http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Poop
http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/The_Poop

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Steam Halloween sale has this game for just under a dollar.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Steam Halloween sale has this game for just under a dollar.

Probably more relevant to this thread, since everyone here probably already has the base game, you can recommend Rebirth to people and have them get it cheaper. If they buy the original Isaac for less than a dollar, they get more than a dollar off of Rebirth! As long as they buy it before Tuesday.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Will this thread be used for Rebirth as well or will there be a new one?

E: poo poo. my bad.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 31, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This question has been asked twice in the last 20 posts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

I have the thread OP for Rebirth ready for whenever.

I may not be able to post it right when Rebirth comes out as I may be working because I am a dumbfuck idiot who forgot to take the day off enjoy not spiraling into debt.

Ah, just post it now before someone posts a lovely one.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Alright, if you insist I guess.

Happy Halloween.

(let me know in there if there's anything i need to throw into the OP. Think I got most of it, though)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Man, if I was gonna finally get Mama's Boy and Platinum God, it was gonna be today. Stupid Chub/Larry Jr combo room.

But today I learned that fly spawning from Guppy Mode procs when the Demon Baby hits. I just pasted Boss Isaac in five seconds without actually firing a shot. Between Polyphemus, the Pact, the Mark, the Pentagram, and Jesus Juice each of those flies is doing ridiculous damage. I have Epic Fetus and I don't really need to use it.

Edit: Actually counted, 27 seconds to kill ??? without actively shooting.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 1, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Got Dark Boy+Platinum God just now, just in time for Rebirth! :) Thank you very much, Doctor's Revenge+The Bible! (As well as a first level cube of meat I got by using Book Of Revelations in a shop, which saved my bacon on the room before Mom.) Went on to defeat It Lives and Satan for no particular reason, for good measure.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Got Dark Boy+Platinum God just now, just in time for Rebirth! :) Thank you very much, Doctor's Revenge+The Bible! (As well as a first level cube of meat I got by using Book Of Revelations in a shop, which saved my bacon on the room before Mom.) Went on to defeat It Lives and Satan for no particular reason, for good measure.

I just got Dark Boy as well! Just in time to start all over again in Rebirth!

I need to fix my secrets to get Plat God though. The game has reset me to 93/97, so I gotta figure out what went missings and re-unlock them. :sigh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New thread is here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, so for many, many, many people in the steam forums, the new game won't load at all. I'm one of them.

Those that can play it are noticing lots of bugs. Some are small, similar to the Flash game, but a lot of them simply crash the game. Others make it so that no progress (unlocked items and secrets) get saved.

It would be funny if they could be creatively used to abuse the system, as was the case in the original, but this seems just horrible programming.

I wouldn't mind, were it not that it was repeatedly said that everyone that could run the original could run Rebirth. That it would go a long way removing all the problems with the Flash version. The opposite happened, the game doesn't run for a lot of people and there's a lot of bad bugs. Apparently I paid for some shabby alpha version of the game.

Everything is Terrible.

And that's why I'm posting here. If Rebirth doesn't work, I'm just going to continue completing my WotL achievements. At this moment, it's the more stable of the two games. So, it might be a good idea to keep this thread going.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Games on launch day, especially indie games, have bugs. When they said "everyone that could run the original could run Rebirth", they didn't mean "It will be completely bug free on day one" (although obviously they'd like that), it meant "The computer power required to run Rebirth will be the same as the computer power it takes to run the original flash version", and I'm fairly sure you know that.

And there will be plenty of people who are noticing no bugs, myself included. But people without bugs don't post about them so much on the internet, do they? As you post in the science threads you really should understand selection bias.

In short: it sucks you can't play the game yet. They're not going to just ignore that people can't play it, though, and there's approximately 0% chance they haven't been working on a patch. Software is occasionally buggy, even on fairly closed environments; it doesn't mean you have to start complaining about "paying for a shabby alpha version".

Hell, you're talking about the pseudo-sequel to the Binding of Isaac. That game crashed fairly frequently and had a huge number of bugs.

It sounds like you've never used a piece of launch software before. This is what it's like all the time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm glad I must have some kind of reverse curse then because I've been playing it since it unlocked and have not encountered any kind of negative bug yet.

E: Spoilers for new room types: I encountered a bedroom that I had to bomb two planks off of the door to get to, there was a nickle on the floor and a bed in the corner. You can get in the bed and the screen fades and "Zzz..." shows up on the screen. But nothing else happened that I could tell and you can only do that once. Anyone know what that was about?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Carbon dioxide posted:

It would be funny if they could be creatively used to abuse the system, as was the case in the original, but this seems just horrible programming.

Programming is never, ever, ever easy. Yes, horrible programming is a thing, but this is not it. Even the most accomplished and well designed pieces of software out there have issues that are remarkably difficult to fix.

Just breathe for a few days and let them work on it, and give the programmers the benefit of the doubt, it's not anywhere near an easy job.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I know you guys are right. It's just that I've been excited for the new game for a while and then encountering this sucks a lot. Especially if a lot of people are going "haha it works for me, too bad for you". Anyway, as I said there's other bugs too. People are complaining about deleted save games, as an example. I feel all of this reeks of incomplete playtesting (on several set-ups and all that).

Well, I'll try to calm down, getting angry about videogames is silly, anyway.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
As a former software engineer, this reeks of it being a piece of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
As a software engineer and former test engineer, it reeks of really pretty poor QA. The controller support is abysmal. In menus, B sometimes goes back a screen, sometimes alters the selected setting and sometimes, just for a laugh, does both. The back button is by default supposedly bound to the map, but it actually toggles full screen, and binding it to another button doesn't work so you have to use the keyboard for that. Starting a game with the A button also causes the difficulty to change. This is all stuff that 5 minutes testing with a pad should have turned up.

On top of that, failing to save progress seems pretty common, which is a pretty critical bug, as is not running at all.

Yeah launch software has bugs, but Rebirth has obviously has very scant testing. A lot of this should have been caught.

• Locked thread