Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

WickedIcon posted:

The people who do remember the Stallone movie mostly loving hate it.

I like the Stallone movie over all it's a good 90s action movie, it's no Commando but then again few things are. Also I don't really know anything about Judge Dredd beyond he is a judge who is a hard rear end for the letter of the law and shoots people so I think it explained everything it needed to for people who aren't familiar. I did always think it was weird that for the first half of the movie everyone talks about how Dredd has no emotions and is a hardcore bad rear end who barely speaks but the second he stops being a judge he busts out one liners and stuff.

I can see how it doesn't really fit the source material but at least it was an interesting movie to look at. This one just seems kind of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Sometimes I think the baggage and unreasonable expectations a franchise carries with it offsets the benefits of brand name recognition.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really like Karl Urban, so I am probably going to see this in the theater. The trailer did not excite me though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I honestly cannot believe some people got genuine enjoyment from the Stallone Judge Dredd film. That poo poo was loving terrible.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

I honestly cannot believe some people got genuine enjoyment from the Stallone Judge Dredd film. That poo poo was loving terrible.

Yes, but it's terrible poo poo with very nice sets and costumes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
You guys, slow-motion is a drug, and the future is a return to the Middle Ages. This is going to own!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

It's a guilty pleasure sort of film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

etalian posted:

It's a guilty pleasure sort of film.

If we're talking guilty pleasure Stallone films, Demolition Man at least has something going for it. The Judge Dredd movie with him in it is a piece of poo poo.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

doctor 7 posted:

It did have some marvelous production design, it was made right at that mid-90s point where practical effects were at their apex before being replaced with CGI, there will likely never be anything that looks quite like it ever again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

If we're talking guilty pleasure Stallone films, Demolition Man at least has something going for it. The Judge Dredd movie with him in it is a piece of poo poo.

And Judge Dredd doesn't have the mystery of the three seashells.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Farbtoner posted:

It did have some marvelous production design, it was made right at that mid-90s point where practical effects were at their apex before being replaced with CGI, there will likely never be anything that looks quite like it ever again.
Plus didn't it have a great score?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

doctor 7 posted:

The most hilarious thing about it has to be the ending, where Dredd is given a hero's welcome back into the fold and offered the position of Chief Judge, despite having broken a shitload of laws, caused a shitload of damage, and killed a shitload of judges while trying to prove his innocence. All those judges doing the guns in the air salute thing while he rides off...awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also the fact that instead of accepting this position, he decides he's better off riding around, shooting people on the street just as before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus didn't it have a great score?
It totally did.

The effects were pretty great, too - the ABC Warbot was loving righteous, the make-up effects on the Angel Gang were nuts, and Mega City One looked like an even more dystopian, overcrowded, and hosed-up 'Blade Runner' and it looked great. The movie had lots and lots of problems, but the production values and visuals were not among them.
Also when Stallone was in full costume and kept the helmet on, he absolutely nailed the look of Judge Dredd.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I loved the 90's Judge Dredd because I saw it in the largest screen possible in the day.

The movie just sounded amazing and the special effects were great. Storyline was pretty much poo poo but overall it was a fun movie that didnt leave me feeling like i didnt get my moneys worth.

I was always dissapointed that they didnt make the 3 planned sequels but seeing how the movie didnt make that much I wasnt surprised.

This movie however looks kinda ... bleh. Maybe if they would have made the city seem larger than what they have shown us I would be a little more excited for it. Also while I love Karl Urban as an actor he does seem too small for the role.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

etalian posted:

Yeah but capturing the the acidic satirical natural of the series would be much more challenging than going the interesting setting for a action movie route.

They could always pay lip-service to the comic's satire by having it revealed at the end that Slo-Mo is something banal like caffeine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vagabundo posted:

Iso-Cubes and all, the best thing about Demolition Man is that between the ham-fisted satire it felt more like a Judge Dredd movie than the actual Judge Dredd movie. I was going to mention it but someone already posted the fast food wars page. Remember the franchise wars Taco Bell won in Demolition Man? We get this fast food brand name warfare juxtaposed with the lower classes needing to riot and break and enter just to get food. The movie is less about the characters and more about the setting and how politicians try to find the exact right amount of compensation and comfort to keep people complacent and spending money. In the Dredd comics we have countries warring over territory via a lethal Olympic event for which you buy tickets to watch squadrons kill each other.

What does this have to do with the movie? Not a whole lot, which is kind of a shame. I'm a fan of the RoboCop/Demolition Man-esque satirical Dredd stories, but I feel like they require completely ridiculous antagonists on some level. Otherwise you just have Sledge Hammer, which is awesome, but only gives us one side of the farce. Judge Dredd's ridiculous villains are kind of interesting in that Dredd often attacks the sympton rather than the cause (Why is McDonald's at a point where it needs to literally have open military warfare?).

However, unlike something like popular reading of Batman where Batman himself gives rise to the villains and draws them to Gotham, most of the Dredd situations would have happened regardless of Dredd's existence. The best Dredd comics take the piss out of society at large and the corporations and politicians who run it into the ground at every chance for an extra buck instead of trying to psychoanalyze just the characters like most vigilante/renegade cop comics do.

So while this upcoming Dredd film will hopefully be fun in a "The Raid: Cyberpunk Edition" way as someone posted earlier, it is a slight disappointment that neither this nor the earlier Stallone movie really went all out with making a mockery of our own condition, especially, and I never thought I'd ever write this, in a post Demolition Man world.

Interestingly I read in one interview that First Blood and Judge Dredd were the two biggest surprises for Stallone. The latter because such a terrible movie resulted from so much work from so many talented people, that during production the individual pieces were incredible but the movie was so much less than the sum of its parts. The opposite happened with First Blood, which he almost tried to buy the rights to to keep it from being released because he felt it was coming along horribly.

blackguy32 : That Dredd vs. Death game does follow the comics a bit more (it better, it was made by Rebellion, the owners of 2000 AD Comics!). I liked that again, unlike the movie it had mutants, zombies, incineration for minor crimes like "illegal possession of a goldfish," liberals, vampires, internal affairs judges that would completely destroy you if you messed around too much with the civilian populace, etc. You couldn't go around slaughtering them, but you COULD incapacitate and arrest just about anyone for the most minor thing. Also the immortal moment where I shot someone with an incendiary round and while they were flailing around on fire punched them which caused the upper half of their body to fly off their legs and splatter against a wall. Five seconds later the "Actually Dredd, that may have been a bit harsh." voice over from your boss plays. Also that game is notable for having Left 4 Dead in it as one of its mini-games. Zombie Holocaust coop owned.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 25, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sentinel Red posted:

The most hilarious thing about it has to be the ending, where Dredd is given a hero's welcome back into the fold and offered the position of Chief Judge, despite having broken a shitload of laws, caused a shitload of damage, and killed a shitload of judges while trying to prove his innocence. All those judges doing the guns in the air salute thing while he rides off...awesome.

That's actually something I really like about the movie - Judge Dredd doesn't learn a god damned thing after everything that happens to him. That, its brief runtime, and the fact that it also functions as a dark follow-up to the "hooray we're destroying a utopia where everyone is nice" ending of Demolition Man gives me a soft spot for this movie. The villain's whole caper never really works, but the world building is great and the movie has the good sense to be less than two hours long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheScott2K posted:

That's actually something I really like about the movie - Judge Dredd doesn't learn a god damned thing after everything that happens to him.

It really is one of the jokes in the movie that's actually clever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It is the one bright spot of the movie, because Dredd is put into a position where he actually could have a major effect on Mega City One but chooses to just ride around shooting folks for jaywalking instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It really is one of the jokes in the movie that's actually clever.

I knew you'd say that!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

blackguy32 : That Dredd vs. Death game does follow the comics a bit more (it better, it was made by Rebellion, the owners of 2000 AD Comics!). I liked that again, unlike the movie it had mutants, zombies, incineration for minor crimes like "illegal possession of a goldfish," liberals, vampires, internal affairs judges that would completely destroy you if you messed around too much with the civilian populace, etc. You couldn't go around slaughtering them, but you COULD incapacitate and arrest just about anyone for the most minor thing. Also the immortal moment where I shot someone with an incendiary round and while they were flailing around on fire punched them which caused the upper half of their body to fly off their legs and splatter against a wall. Five seconds later the "Actually Dredd, that may have been a bit harsh." voice over from your boss plays. Also that game is notable for having Left 4 Dead in it as one of its mini-games. Zombie Holocaust coop owned.
The best part was how every time you arrested someone, it would pop up on your HUD with what their offense was and how much time they were going to serve, and they were usually context-appropriate. It was pretty entertaining.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TheScott2K posted:

That's actually something I really like about the movie - Judge Dredd doesn't learn a god damned thing after everything that happens to him. That, its brief runtime, and the fact that it also functions as a dark follow-up to the "hooray we're destroying a utopia where everyone is nice" ending of Demolition Man gives me a soft spot for this movie. The villain's whole caper never really works, but the world building is great and the movie has the good sense to be less than two hours long.
The movie would have been longer (and probably made a bit more sense) if they hadn't cut out a big chunk of the 'let's make some new evil clones!' plot. As it is, Rico makes a good-bad one-liner, half-formed clones start waking up, then EVERYTHING EXPLODES!!! for no particular reason.

I feel a bit sorry for Danny Cannon, though. He was a huge fan of the comic, so it was probably his dream job - then he's thrown in at the deep end on a set where he is very much not the one calling the shots. Some kid on only his second movie, versus one of the biggest stars in the world who's previously had directors fired for not doing things how he wanted? Cannon didn't stand a chance.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

doctor 7 posted:

Man, with a sense of disbelief like that, you must really struggle with day to day life.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I can't believe there is so much hate for the Stallone Dredd movie. It was great!

poo poo for a comic book movie made in the 90s? It was practically the Avengers of it's time. People should be glad it wasn't Tank Girl or the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I was never bored during Judge Dredd and it was fairly entertaining despite being schlock. So I can't really call it a bad movie per se

Like so many others, it was many years since I saw it so maybe I'd have a different opinion today though

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

randombattle posted:

I can't believe there is so much hate for the Stallone Dredd movie. It was great!

poo poo for a comic book movie made in the 90s? It was practically the Avengers of it's time. People should be glad it wasn't Tank Girl or the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie.

I really really want to see Tank Girl.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
Welp, will be rewatching Stallone's Dredd tonight in defiance of these scathing attacks. The trailer for new Dredd isn't lighting my world on fire, but fully expect Karl Urban to own bones even if the film is terrible.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

I later regretted it, but I remember convincing a friend to go see the '95 Dredd purely based on some behind-the-scenes piece I saw that showed the creation of the ABC Warrior. I just thought it was so cool that they built a big "actual" robot and not a stop motion model. I would like to see that production footage but I can't seem to find it in a youtube search.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

randombattle posted:

This is nuts to me, Tank Girl is more 90's than The Fifth Element and just as entertaining. And the Lundgren Punisher is like, the definition of a crazy 80's action movie. It's like Cobra starring Dolph Lundgren.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tank Girl is more 90's than The Fifth Element

Tank Girl is more 90s than Empire Records. Tank Girl is drinking Surge while watching the X-Games and playing Road Rash on your Sega CD. If you are at all interested in the predigested corporatized cultural detritus of the end of history, watch Tank Girl.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

...I really need to find a copy of Tank Girl.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'll be honest, for the longest time until I watched them again for the second time since I saw them originally in theaters, I thought Stallone's Judge Dredd and Demolition Man were the same movie (the both have Stallone and Bullock in them, both are 90's "future" movies, etc.).

If Rob Schneider shows up again in this one and Dredd just shoots him was soon as he opens his mouth and starts whining, I'm sold.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

I'll be honest, for the longest time until I watched them again for the second time since I saw them originally in theaters, I thought Stallone's Judge Dredd and Demolition Man were the same movie (the both have Stallone and Bullock in them, both are 90's "future" movies, etc.).

If Rob Schneider shows up again in this one and Dredd just shoots him was soon as he opens his mouth and starts whining, I'm sold.

Sandra Bullock is not in Judge Dredd. You're probably thinking of Diane Lane.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
drat, how the hell did I confuse Diane Lane with Sandra Bullock?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gooble Rampling posted:

I later regretted it, but I remember convincing a friend to go see the '95 Dredd purely based on some behind-the-scenes piece I saw that showed the creation of the ABC Warrior. I just thought it was so cool that they built a big "actual" robot and not a stop motion model. I would like to see that production footage but I can't seem to find it in a youtube search.

Yeah the sets and practical effects were really neat but it was a hilarious poo poo movie overall that missed the interesting parts of the source material.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

etalian posted:

Yeah the sets and practical effects were really neat but it was a hilarious poo poo movie overall that missed the interesting parts of the source material.

Like the first rule of Dredd. Do not show his face.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bugblatter posted:

...I really need to find a copy of Tank Girl.
Just to go full circle, Tank Girl creator Jamie Hewlett has also drawn Judge Dredd! So he's had two strips he's worked on have their points completely missed by Hollywood in the mid-1990s.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Like the first rule of Dredd. Do not show his face.

Karl Urban brought that up in a very early interview. I found it pretty funny considering he didn't want anything to do with helmets after filming Lord of the Rings (according to the Chronicles of Riddick commentary).

Poor guy just can't escape them drat helmets!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't know either, but maybe you were thinking of Rob Schneider because he IS in both movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Good question.

As an aside, I really wish Diane Lane had had a bigger career. She got stuck doing rom coms way too quickly, despite having some real acting chops and being gorgeous. What gives?

• Locked thread