Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone ever figure out why a few bits of the movie look more grainy? Is it intentional but the pattern is subtle, or did the DP mess up with the film in a few spots, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should've just adapted the first Doom novel as the movie.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, the original game idea is literally something like Aliens meets Evil Dead 2, although the closest similarity would be with Event Horizon, even if that movie would come out until 4 years after the game.

Galaxy of Terror (1981) was, while incomprehensible, pretty close to "hell in space".

Also, where is my NARC movie?!?

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 3, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

effectual posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why a few bits of the movie look more grainy? Is it intentional but the pattern is subtle, or did the DP mess up with the film in a few spots, or what?

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but Dredd was shot digitally, so they may have had to push the ISO on some shots higher to compensate for poor lighting.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Now that GTAV is on pc I'm hoping someone out there makes a Megacity one mod where you get to play as a Judge.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

They should've just adapted the first Doom comic as the movie.

FTFY

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That would have been... special

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone say "Rip and tear!" in the movie?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

david_a posted:

That would have been... special

Don't act like you wouldn't want to see Karl Urban go to town with this material.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I just imagined Karl Urban's Doctor McCoy...

"He's got HUGE GUTS, Jim! You've got to RIP and TEAR his GUTS! Don't look at me, I'm a Doctor not a Rototiller!"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Snak posted:

For some reason I just imagined Karl Urban's Doctor McCoy...

"He's got HUGE GUTS, Jim! You've got to RIP and TEAR his GUTS! Don't look at me, I'm a Doctor not a Rototiller!"
I could see it.

(I just noticed the insane bowleg in this pose - might want to pop your right hip back into its socket there, chief)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This movie is never coming to a streaming service or HBO/Showtime/etc is it?

Still wanna see this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Still wanna see this.

It was on Netflix for a long time... (in the USA at least)

edit: canistreamit lists it as being available for rental on itunes, google play, youtube, vudu, and sony something or other.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Philthy posted:

Still wanna see this.

I've been wondering about this as well. It's a tragedy it hasn't been on any of the movie channels :(

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I watched Dredd like 5 times on Netflix

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Honestly Netflix has been really crap with its encoding of HD content lately (REALLY noticeable on Planet Earth) - with a movie like this, you're much better off either renting or buying the Blu Ray to get it in full quality

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I just picked up the 3D/Blu-Ray combo pack for $7.88 with Prime shipping on Amazon, thought I'd mention it for those having withdrawal.
I'm slowly making my way through the comics, some of them are actually really good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When you get the US release of the blu-ray does it have both cuts of the movie on it? I kind of think the mind reading scene is a lot cooler in the not US version.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Neo Rasa posted:

When you get the US release of the blu-ray does it have both cuts of the movie on it? I kind of think the mind reading scene is a lot cooler in the not US version.

How so? Is that the only difference in cuts?

I just saw Mad Max Fury Road and I think I like Dredd more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'm kind of curious, what changed?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DREDD is a better movie just on colour pallet alone because gently caress orange and blue. Fury Road abuses those colours almost to the point it almost killed the movie for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I loved that Fury Road completely owns the ridiculousness of orange and blue. It works great, the best is the night scene where the brides in the back seat have a solid orange field of light around them, I love it. :)

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah I'm kind of curious, what changed?

Basically these scenes (NSFW obviously) don't have the actual shots of Anderson naked and being raped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJjcJKEtqwc
The movie's better without them because the actors deliver the information fine. Plus the "That ought to shut you up" part followed by her appearing behind him is intact every version anyway.

There's actually a third version of the interrogation scene too, where Kay rips her jacket off but there's just an empty void where her body would be and her head continues to talk but I don't think it was actually used in any released version of the movie.

The violence is unchanged in any version of the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched this today for the first time in far too long. Goddamn what a movie.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

poonchasta posted:

How so? Is that the only difference in cuts?

I just saw Mad Max Fury Road and I think I like Dredd more.

Dredd is one of the best shooty punchy action movies of all time, Fury Road is the undisputed drivey smashy action movie king though. I love them both, but while I left Dredd thinking "that was an awesome 3D movie," I left Mad Max immediately wanting to go back in and experience it all over again. At 3am.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I think I'm cool with the US cut.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Huh, didn't know it was censored in the US. Gotta love how extreme violence is a-ok for a rating but naughty bits are not.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VincentPrice posted:

Huh, didn't know it was censored in the US. Gotta love how extreme violence is a-ok for a rating but naughty bits are not.

if what neo rasa's saying is accurate, then it's the international version that was censored, not the US.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if what neo rasa's saying is accurate, then it's the international version that was censored, not the US.

This is how they're in the European cut (both theatrical and blu-ray) and you do see her double naked, albeit blurred. I think he meant that the US cut doesn't have that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the Canadian cut does! haha. Doubt it tho since we just get US anything. I hate knowing I have a lesser version tho because of stupid loving censors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sorry to be more clear, the US THEATRICAL release is edited the way I describe, which some folks prefer to the cut made available in Europe and everywhere on home video. There's some more talk about it maybe 1/3 of the way into this thread.

Anyways I ask because the US blu-ray was touted as being an "unrated" cut (which in the US for newer movies is typically marketing crap, barely any difference), but when I looked at it now that it's on sale at Amazon it's listed as rated R.

This scene also (again NSFW of course) uses the same footage, and again it's stupid here too because she like immediately answers his question anyway. Her doing that and then acting mentally shocked instead of it being so redundant is better to me, and it's stupid that they use the exact same clip three times throughout the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 20, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I know the version on Netflix at least was the same as we got in theaters, though I can't comment on the bluray.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oohhboy posted:

DREDD is a better movie just on colour pallet alone because gently caress orange and blue. Fury Road abuses those colours almost to the point it almost killed the movie for me.

they are both good films

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I was going to say that, neither film does anything particularly better or worse than the other, both are among my favorites easily. And while both are explorations of different facets of societal collapse their delivery is totally different. I wouldn't pit them against each other for comparison any more than I would Seven Samurai and Terminator 2.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fury Road is kinda locked into that color palette, to be fair, because the desert is orange-ish and the desert is very large parts of the movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fury Road is kinda locked into that color palette, to be fair, because the desert is orange-ish and the desert is very large parts of the movie.

Yeah I didn't notice the orange/blue thing at all while watching it 3 times because it's pretty natural. It's not like so many other movies that are in cities but still post-tint everything O/B.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem with the O/B in FR is that they crank up the O/B saturation well over what is naturally there. It's beyond obnoxious, its abusive. Take a quick google image search on Mad Max and you will see how asinine the colour pallet is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I've seen the movie. It's a deliberate stylistic effect that goes with what the movie's going for, it's not clashing with anything; Mad Max is more of a sensory assault than a movie, and that's entirely deliberate and loving awesome.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

oohhboy posted:

The problem with the O/B in FR is that they crank up the O/B saturation well over what is naturally there. It's beyond obnoxious, its abusive. Take a quick google image search on Mad Max and you will see how asinine the colour pallet is.

It's beautiful.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I really don't get the orange/blue hatred thing. Is it entirely spawned from the movie poster thread mocking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I really don't get the orange/blue hatred thing. Is it entirely spawned from the movie poster thread mocking it?

It's a much broader internet thing.

• Locked thread