Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hob_Gadling posted:

Dredd 2, Presenting The Rock as Mean Machine Angel

Yeah okay I like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah okay I like this.

Yeah but then the final fight scene would play out like the one Karl Urban and The Rock did in Doom, but with different costumes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Doom was fun, though! It catches undeserved amounts of poo poo just for not being faithful to the game, I think.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Doom was fun, though! It catches undeserved amounts of poo poo just for not being faithful to the game, I think.

It was fun, but also terrible (a big part of the reason it was fun to watch).

Also how could it be more faithful to the game? Have Urban walk through a door to see a giant human head from some software company or something and shoot it? We got that stupid first-person sequence out of it that was just about as close as you'd get to how horrible the games were.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wade Wilson posted:

Also how could it be more faithful to the game? Have Urban walk through a door to see a giant human head from some software company or something and shoot it? We got that stupid first-person sequence out of it that was just about as close as you'd get to how horrible the games were.

...it kinda did ditch a very large amount of the games' premise.

In the game, the basic idea is that a lab on Mars was working on FTL tech or something like that and accidentally opened a portal to Hell, causing demons to spill out and kill the poo poo out of everybody. Your marine lives somehow, and as the sole survivor, it's his job to clean the place out and close the portal. A "real" Doom movie would play out pretty much like The Raid as done by Clive Barker, instead of what we got (which ditched the religious horror angle entirely and played out like a decentish Aliens clone).

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's been a while since I saw Doom but I remember the movie having a very low opinion of the military people that were sent in to investigate. Weren't they all either evil, cowards, drug addicts, or a combination of those? That's a hell of an elite team they got there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Raid as done by Clive Barker,

I'll put that on my list of things I want to see that will never happen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doom more like the game would've been an effective horror film and man was I loving let down seeing what they put on screen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It would have literally been Clive Barker's The Raid. Just 90 minutes of a beefy dude wrecking the gently caress out of abominations from Hell.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

100% faithful Doom/Metroid movies would be avant garde as all getout. No dialogue, no supporting cast, quite possibly no direct transfer of information to the viewer of any kind (scroll text, interstitials, etc.), and for Metroid no seeing the only protagonist's face until perhaps the last 10-30 seconds of the film. Everything communicated through body language, cinematography, music, and hella loving explosions.

Are you a bad enough director to make this insanity work?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It'd be like Ridley Scott's I Am Legend where Arnie doesn't utter a word for the first hour.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

McSpanky posted:

100% faithful Doom/Metroid movies would be avant garde as all getout. No dialogue, no supporting cast, quite possibly no direct transfer of information to the viewer of any kind (scroll text, interstitials, etc.), and for Metroid no seeing the only protagonist's face until perhaps the last 10-30 seconds of the film. Everything communicated through body language, cinematography, music, and hella loving explosions.

Are you a bad enough director to make this insanity work?

So in other words the later Resident Evil movies

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GORDON posted:

It's been a while since I saw Doom but I remember the movie having a very low opinion of the military people that were sent in to investigate. Weren't they all either evil, cowards, drug addicts, or a combination of those? That's a hell of an elite team they got there.

It struck me as a failed attempt to establish them in a similar manner to the team from Predator, just that the result was more like Predators.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...it kinda did ditch a very large amount of the games' premise.

In the game, the basic idea is that a lab on Mars was working on FTL tech or something like that and accidentally opened a portal to Hell, causing demons to spill out and kill the poo poo out of everybody. Your marine lives somehow, and as the sole survivor, it's his job to clean the place out and close the portal. A "real" Doom movie would play out pretty much like The Raid as done by Clive Barker, instead of what we got (which ditched the religious horror angle entirely and played out like a decentish Aliens clone).

Or Event Horizon, but halfway through Laurence Fishburne goes "I've had it with these motherfucking demons on this motherfucking ship" and then he shoots everything.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I thought Doom was pretty awful and not the good kind.
I didn't really have any fun watching it cause even the action was bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah it was pretty bad

I like the Doom games premise more as well. I've always been fond of the idea of humans managing to create technology so advanced that they pierce the veil and encounter the theological realms, like hell. It could be such a wonderful mindfuck

It was the coolest part of Event Horizon as well

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Deakul posted:

I thought Doom was pretty awful and not the good kind.
I didn't really have any fun watching it cause even the action was bad.

The first person shooter part was pretty cool. That's about all I really took from it though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Doom has a loving sewer section scene.
On a space station.

Edit: Went back and watched it to see any mention of total number of staff.
A PR person mentions there are only 85 people total there.
So 85 people produce a whole lot of piss and poo poo to make their sewer system knee high for the Rock to walk though later.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 24, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

happyhippy posted:

Doom has a loving sewer section scene.
On a space station.

Edit: Went back and watched it to see any mention of total number of staff.
A PR person mentions there are only 85 people total there.
So 85 people produce a whole lot of piss and poo poo to make their sewer system knee high for the Rock to walk though later.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What if everyone has explosive diarrhoea on the same day? Then what? Hmm?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

yeah it was pretty bad

I like the Doom games premise more as well. I've always been fond of the idea of humans managing to create technology so advanced that they pierce the veil and encounter the theological realms, like hell. It could be such a wonderful mindfuck

It was the coolest part of Event Horizon as well

Or that some sort of Lovecraftian "atheistic theology", that gods exist but we now recognize that they're really just a reality-shaping lifeform with their own goals, operating on a higher order and plane of existence than us mere mortals. They may have created us or even the universe, but it's probably elephants all the way down at this point.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I think in this case you could make a pretty good case that 3D barely helped the original.

I'd actually say that the 3D severely hurt the movie. Don't forget that at its release, the few ads/commercials that existed called it "DR3DD". This was during that peak of low budget shovel crap with the word "3D" tacked on as their only gimmick, so my only reaction to the ads that I saw about it were "Ha, gently caress that trash"...

How wrong I was to pass up my only chance to see it on the big screen :smith:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There were a lot of commercials

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
I'd like to counter this 3D naysaying by adding that Dredd's 3D is FAR from a tacked on gimmick and enhances the film (particularly the slo-mo sequences) a lot. The reason I own a 3D TV is because I wanted to see it like that again.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tripwyre posted:

I'd like to counter this 3D naysaying by adding that Dredd's 3D is FAR from a tacked on gimmick and enhances the film (particularly the slo-mo sequences) a lot. The reason I own a 3D TV is because I wanted to see it like that again.

Yeah, they even went into detail in the special features about how they used these new, smaller 3D cameras to give depth to close-up shots of the characters' faces, which I thought worked nicely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tripwyre posted:

It's something that enhanced the film, but I don't think it's essential enough that I would say "no deal" to Dredd 2 in 2D.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And to be clear, my problem was with the advertising and the rest of the crowd that the 3d stigma threw it into. As an aside, I'm a fan of 3d as long as it was either shot or rendered in 3d originally, but I can't stand the 2d->3d post cardboard cutout cash-ins

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sentient Data posted:

And to be clear, my problem was with the advertising and the rest of the crowd that the 3d stigma threw it into.

Yep. The voiceover in every commercial referred to it as "Dredd 3D," which I'm sure didn't help (going along with the stigma of a September release). I seem to recall that the distributors also limited release of the 2D prints and strong-armed theaters into getting the 3D prints, which probably did some damage to the box office, as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The 3d part left me to think it was an upscaling of the stallone version, or just a bad re-incarnation. I couldn't tell. But the fastest way to get me to stop giving a gently caress is plastering "3D" on your movie.

To be fair, this was right after I got bruned by prometheausus and like one other imax 3d movie around that time so I was already hip to the 3d scam. Because I had been scammed like 4 times already.

Knowing what I know now, I would have seen this movie in 3d.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

KoRMaK posted:

The 3d part left me to think it was an upscaling of the stallone version, or just a bad re-incarnation. I couldn't tell. But the fastest way to get me to stop giving a gently caress is plastering "3D" on your movie.

To be fair, this was right after I got bruned by prometheausus and like one other imax 3d movie around that time so I was already hip to the 3d scam. Because I had been scammed like 4 times already.

Prometheus's 3D was fantastic, though?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Prometheus's 3D was fantastic, though?
3d is dumb and wears off after like 5 minutes.

Promethsus just had that one part where he was peepin people's dreams. That was the only time the 3D effect was worth it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really, that and not the opening?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I felt that the 3D really made Tron Legacy. When he switched to upside-down fighting in the arena, the 3D made me feel the same nausea and disorientation that Sam was feeling at that moment, really added to the picture.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I saw Dredd in theatres and loved it. The 3d was a pain in the rear end (it gives me a headache). Watching the 2d blu-ray (Eurogoons, the French version looks MUCH better) the slo-mo scenes look incredible so I don't think the effect added that much.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I quite liked the 3D in Dredd and I usually hate 3D. I managed to see it twice before it disappeared from the cinema, once on the main screen which was big, bright and beautiful and really looked fantastic. The other time was on a side screen which has dimmer projectors and made the 3D fairly shite.

Watched it again at home on blu ray, the second copy due to the first not having any audio and it looked great but it was just missing that little bit extra the 3D gave it to pop.

It's not essential for the film to work but that dude's cheek exploding in slow motion and the trick with it moving over the letterboxing was real nice... The violence in this film looked almost beautiful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

It's not essential for the film to work but that dude's cheek exploding in slow motion and the trick with it moving over the letterboxing was real nice... The violence in this film looked almost beautiful.

That trick is actually in the 2D version too, I'm fairly sure. I know I saw it once in 2D in theaters and I definitely still noticed it, and I remember the original Youtube clip of that scene having the effect too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Did John Wick make its money back?

Fake Edit: Yeah, more than double on a $20 million budget. Dredd did $18 million on a $50 million budget. And even worldwide didnt get that high either. I thought word got out that the movie was awesome but I guess too many waited for the home release.

I read somewhere that it was a pretty decent seller on dvd/bluray and was very good for Netflix.

moths posted:

There was next to no promotion for it, either. I'd been looking forward to Dredd for ages and was surprised to hear it was in theaters.

It had billboards and ads on tram and bus stops here in Australia, although it dended to be mainly the logo of the film and 'IN 3d!' rather than Karl Urbans scowl.

Edit: From the comments in one of those behind the scenes photos linked earlier:

"Bawzprops It didn't. In the original, Dredd shoots through a small girl and takes down the van guy before he makes it into the block, the executes him for attempted murder of a Judge. On his way past the winged but alive girl, he said 'you'll live' and carries on. The version we got in the final film was shot in the UK in a now demolished Chinese hyper market in London"
In regards to the end of the opening chase scene.

Brutal.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

drunkill posted:

Edit: From the comments in one of those behind the scenes photos linked earlier:

"Bawzprops It didn't. In the original, Dredd shoots through a small girl and takes down the van guy before he makes it into the block, the executes him for attempted murder of a Judge. On his way past the winged but alive girl, he said 'you'll live' and carries on. The version we got in the final film was shot in the UK in a now demolished Chinese hyper market in London"
In regards to the end of the opening chase scene.

Brutal.

FYI the artbook includes the cut storyboard draft of that scene and many others.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I watched it again tonight and noticed the brief shot of the copper wire sculpture on Ma-Ma's bedroom floor at the end of the movie. I interpret that as her sexually abusing the network guy, in addition to the physical and psychological abuse she heaps on him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

It was fun, but also terrible (a big part of the reason it was fun to watch).

1: No hell.
2: No mars, not really. Mars was post-production shoved in due to backlash.
2A: Certainly no moons of mars, because people who remember the old Doom games know you never actually go to Mars.
3: No demons.
4: No space travel-era sci-fi setting. We got a stargate instead because... uh..
5: Did we really need the crew of Predator badasses to instead include a greasy child molester and a rookie as dumb as "the kid?"

Doom is a movie that I'd hate more if it wasn't so entertainingly stupid. I'm glad both Urban went on to other things, and also, Clint Mansell didn't get his career hurt by it, they tried their best. But what should have been a fun sci-fi horror action gorefest was instead a PG-13 attempt to make a watered down Resident Evil knock-off.

Hell, there was a ton of room for a plot right in the original game's text file bundled with the shareware release, certainly enough to make a very entertaining film anyway. As it stands, Ghost of Mars is a more faithful Doom movie than the Doom movie on every level. It's a shame the studio decided Jason Statham wasn't "bankable as an action star" and made Carpenter recast loving Ice Cube in the lead, though.

KoRMaK posted:

99% of the time conversions are freaking awful. There's a few exceptions to this, in particular in movies with lots of CGI and blue screen, but for the most part.. look it up. If it's shot in 3D, it might be worth seeing in 3D. If it's not shot in 3D, see it in 2D. Doubly so when the director is highly adamant about which one was intended.

This goes beyond just lovely 3D effects though: A director shooting for 2D in mind might do lots of tight-shots and rapid scenes, and that plays like hell in 3D. Honestly the amusing upside to 3D is it forces some notoriously ADD directors to slow down and take longer shots, though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

1: No hell.
2: No mars, not really. Mars was post-production shoved in due to backlash.
2A: Certainly no moons of mars, because people who remember the old Doom games know you never actually go to Mars.
3: No demons.
4: No space travel-era sci-fi setting. We got a stargate instead because... uh..
5: Did we really need the crew of Predator badasses to instead include a greasy child molester and a rookie as dumb as "the kid?"

Doom is a movie that I'd hate more if it wasn't so entertainingly stupid. I'm glad both Urban went on to other things, and also, Clint Mansell didn't get his career hurt by it, they tried their best. But what should have been a fun sci-fi horror action gorefest was instead a PG-13 attempt to make a watered down Resident Evil knock-off.

Hell, there was a ton of room for a plot right in the original game's text file bundled with the shareware release, certainly enough to make a very entertaining film anyway. As it stands, Ghost of Mars is a more faithful Doom movie than the Doom movie on every level. It's a shame the studio decided Jason Statham wasn't "bankable as an action star" and made Carpenter recast loving Ice Cube in the lead, though.

Yeah, the original game idea is literally something like Aliens meets Evil Dead 2, although the closest similarity would be with Event Horizon, even if that movie would come out until 4 years after the game.

• Locked thread