Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Payndz posted:

, or doing a huge and insanely expensive epic like The Cursed Earth, The Judge Child or Block Mania/The Apocalypse War. I guess if you've only got a $40m budget, keeping it in one location with a new villain who fits it is about all you can do.

Will we get Ronald McDonald shooting a guy for spilling a milkshake? Also another storyline that would be hard to do with setup and to be honest content is Necropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also there is no way that they are not setting up Judge Death since they have Judge Anderson

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Timby posted:

Given all the weirdness that went on with this film's production and post-production, I have a hard time believing that the thinking is, "OK, we've got our sequel hook," but rather, "OK, let's hope and pray we make our money back."

I mean out of all the Judges they chose her and she is important when it comes to Judge Death. So I assume she was chosen so she is known to the viewer if there is a sequel and it has Judge Death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

They'd shoot it, but the film would mysteriously become shorter and have a hastily-done new scene with Dredd eating delicious tinned peas within a few days of its initial release.

(This really happened in the comic. :ssh: )

How amazing would this be

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

Btw, if anyone should be interested in reading the comics 2000AD have been putting out these great "Judge Dredd Complete Case File" books which compiles the comics strips. I think they're up to vol 19 now and they're ~300 pages each iirc. Pricepoint is ~$15-20.

The only issues missing are the ones with the fast food war and that is case file 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vaerai Archon posted:

The European releases are on that number, but the North American releases are only at volume 5.

You can do what I did and just get them from amazon.co.uk

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

massive spider posted:

I actually prefer Dredd as an unthinking fascist to be honest, the whole "well shucks maybe I'm in the wrong after all" thing doesn't really work for me.

To me its a lot more interesting and braver to have a protagonist who's just an out and out dick rather than try to humanise him.

I said earlier that in the trailer Urban seems like he's a little more gleeful in what he does than I would have pictured, but Dredd as a total sociopath is still an interpretation that could work for me.

If that was the case then you would miss out on some awesome stories like Tale of the Dead Man and Letter to Dredd

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

etalian posted:

Yeah the sets and practical effects were really neat but it was a hilarious poo poo movie overall that missed the interesting parts of the source material.

Like the first rule of Dredd. Do not show his face.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Wow, I cant believe you do not see the main characters eyes ONCE in this trailer.

Its one of the most basic ways you connect with a character and all we have is a jaw and a helmet. I understand thats Dredd, but it worked for Stallone because everybody knew who Stallone was.

Karl Urban is NOT a recognizable face/name, so the whole not showing his eyes thing is pretty dumb.

That is part of the character. He is just a faceless judge. In the movie he is not taking off his helmet so you will not be seeing his face.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Thats why I said I know its part of his character, but for Stallone it worked because Stallone is Stallone and an audience can connect with that.

I just dont think it works with Karl Urban. Sorry but I think its a poor decision to cast somebody like Urban for a role that requires you to not see the main characters face.

Yes but if they cast a big name viewers will expect to see their face which is something that you can not do with Dredd

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I feel like you are completely disregarding that there will be other characters interacting with Dredd and thus enabling us to get a better feel for him. That female Judge in the trailer seems to lose her helmet early on and I find it likely that we will see and connect to Dredd through her, so having him remove his helmet wont be necessary.

She does not wear a helmet. She is a physic and the helmet interferes with her ability.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

Yes Anderson is much more human and relatable than Dredd is, despite her powerful abilities (I'm interested to see how her powers are handled, there wasn't a hint of them in the trailer). Also in this movie she is a rookie meeting Dredd for the first time, so yeah we will be seeing Dredd through her eyes.

I'm actually pretty amazed that Anderson wasn't in the Stallone film, she's easily the most popular non-Dredd Judge character.

Also introducing her is important as she is a major part of Judge Death storyline

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Yep. And We've actually seen him helmetless too :ssh: (Various clones of him/ Judge Fargo have taken off their helmets at one point or another)

Ya then Dredd has got to kill them. This is especially true if they helped slaughter over 10 thousand citizens

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DocHorror posted:

He spends a lot of the Necropolis storyline helmetless, but since he is so horribly burnt he just looks like he's made of bark.

What I would give to see that story made into a movie. Holy poo poo it would be incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

speaking of that piece of poo poo on next weeks How did that get made it is the subject.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They also need to have his sterotypical Italian maid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sammyv posted:

And Walter.

Of course, but that would require the Robot War and that would be awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That is not really a spoiler since that is her character from the comic and she is the second most famous Judge. That is also important set up if the Dark Judges are in a sequel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jonny Angel posted:

No, no, I completely get that the original Dredd comics were very much satirical, and it's absolutely possible to take a script that reads as sincere in its vaguely fascist misogyny and turn it into a wicked, witty, insightful satire. Of course, the trailer seems like it's playing it completely straight, but even that's not an indication - marketing misrepresents movies all the time.

But there's a lot of stuff that, unless the script gets subtly changed or direction/acting plays a big part in recontextualizing it, is pretty troubling in ways that probably aren't even intentional. As an example, all the punishments Dredd metes out are execution, but when he's captured one of Ma-Ma's henchmen and Anderson does a quick psychic scan to assess his guilt, she can only say he's guilty with 99% certainty. He's like "Well, can't convict with 99%, we need to be sure". Which is theoretically cool, showing he's not just blindly executing people on hunches and suspicions, but he and Anderson still rack up an impressive action movie body count.

So it's like, woo, all the dudes Dredd massacres totally deserved it because he doesn't execute people unless there's 100% certainty of their guilt, but it just so happens that there were enough people with 100% certainty of guilt to furnish all the firefights.

Like, I'm sure the conscious goal on Garland's part wasn't to say "yeah, everyone gunned down by a cop or convicted or a crime has deserved it because the law doesn't strike unless there's a guarantee of guilt", but it's an implication that really makes its way into the script.

Granted, it's absolutely true that this level of speculation can only go so far given the script I'm looking at two years old and we have direct evidence of some changes to it, e.g. Heady's casting. So yeah, grains of salt all around.

p.s. hi Sean how's SotF holding up

If he is able to judge them then he will not executed them unless he is sure they are guilty but if you shot at him he will kill you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Handsome Dead posted:

I saw the trailer for this today and, if I hadn't read tis thread, I'd have never guessed that there was anything vaguely satirical about it. It looks like a sci fi version of The Raid only more tedious looking as there's no Kung fu. Is there a reason Dredd's sidekick doesn't have a helmet? I mean, other than to see her totally :3: haircut.

She is a psychic and they can not use their abilities if they wear a helmet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mouser.. posted:

I would much rather see less death in a Judge Dredd film. Maybe he can take the helmet off. Have a love interest. Hey! Let's get some comic relief in this movie, I know the perfect guy. This movie is going to be a hit and with all that psychopathic murder gone, we'll get our target audience. Teenagers and people who have never read the comic.

They should also hire someone with barely speaks english.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Martin Van Buren posted:

Based on the trailer, what with Urban's Batman/Rorschach voice, and the idea of slow-motion plaguing society as an addictive narcotic, and from what people are saying about the violence, I don't see how this can't be hugely satirical of the current state of comic book movies. However, though I don't know the comics well at all, I always assumed Dredd was more political commentary rather than weird self-satire like what I'm seeing. So I don't know how that shift or whatever is gonna translate.

It is satire in all forms

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm sad that 2000 AD had to omit this storyline from the Judge Dredd Case Files collection. :(

They can never reprint it again since if they do they will be sued.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

When 2000AD did their first round of Dredd reprints (The Law In Order, back in the 90s), they did text recaps of 'Burger Wars' and 'Giants Aren't Gentlemen' to explain why there were missing episodes - and they changed the name Ronald MacDonald to Donald MacRonald to make sure they didn't have McDonald's leaning on them again, even 15 years after the fact. (They also avoided naming any of the corporate mascots directly.)

Those are also in the case files. One of these days I am going to drop the cash to get those issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

I'll be the judge of that

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

Yup. The strip's been running for 35 years, and Dredd is 35 years older than in 1977/2099. So he's now in his early seventies. (Future tech and medicine caveat, obviously, but he's still getting old even by 22nd century standards. For that matter, both Anderson and Hershey are now well into their 50s.)

I am going to assume that Anderson is going to die first since she can not take any anti-aging drugs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I never read the comics but by going by that it seems like Dredd could be used as a title along the lines of "Dread Pirate Roberts" instead of being clones and whatnot. Seems like it'd be a way to have there be a Dredd but allow for some growth or something.

No there are many who try to take his name but there is only one Judge Dredd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The already said that if this one does okay the next one would be Cursed Earth then the third and last one would be Judge Death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

I guess Cursed Earth is pretty easy to turn into a movie, since it's a bunch of different stories tied together, so they can just drop any of the really stupid stuff.

I'm going to guess that if they get to make the movie, there won't be any dinosaurs.

Or Ronald McDonald :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

Incidentally, the full score can be heard here. Some of the track names are probably spoilers, mind.

Oh poo poo the last one looks like it is set up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

I have a horrible feeling it's going to tank but if we do just get one Dredd film then I'm glad it's this because it was great. No saving the city/world bobbins, just a monstrous fascist bad motherfucker out on patrol, showing a rookie the ropes and cleaning house.

I loved how it combined a grimy, miserable 80s feel with moments of euphoric beauty in the gorgeous SlowMo shots, especially (ending spoiler) Ma-Ma's demise, which managed to somehow be the most wonderful shot I've seen in a film this year, just floating through the air, parting the smoke, spinning around while some the score plays along before...smashing head first into the ground and sending blood all over the screen. It's obscene how lovely that looked considering what actually occurred.

Urban was perfect, never letting up for a minute and the part at the end which could/should have posed a moral quandary regarding his need to rigidly apply the law against the human cost of doing so was pure Dredd in the awful yet practical simplicity of his solution to it.

Thirlby was great as Anderson, giving the film the character arc and moral centre Dredd never can. Headey's Ma-Ma was also very good and surprisingly menacing whenever she was on-screen (if anything, the film could have done with more of her).

I know some have complained how Mega City One doesn't look particularly futuristic and while they have a point, you just have to accept they had a much lower budget than the '95 film and what they did portray managed to look all too depressingly more believable for it.

So yeah, really enjoyed it, it was the kind of film that's been sorely absent of late (well, apart from The Raid, obviously *boomtish*), hope it does well enough to get that follow-up. I'd implore that people go see this instead of the usual $200m Michael Bay shitfests but in all honesty, I'm not hopeful for its chances.

Obligatory Retarded Possible Sequel Hook:

Dredd killed four bad judges in this, right? Maybe if they aren't prepared to go all out crazy down the parallel dimension route, they've got an 'in' there!!!11 (I know, I know, couldn't resist)

They already said if it makes 50 in America then they will do the Cursed Earth and if that does well then they will do a third and last movie which involves Judge Death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Thing is, $50m doesn't sound so bad when some films do triple that in an opening weekend but something like this, violent, low budget, limited awareness/familiarity with the material, restricted certificate, etc, all the odds are kind of stacked against it.

I really hope it makes it, though, I'd love to see more stories with these guys on the big screen. Plus, y'know, gotta love that 80s ultraviolence.

I know for a fact that I will be going on opening weekend. I love Dredd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leyburn posted:

I've never read any Judge Dredd comics and I loved the film, what books would people recommend picking up?

Start with Case File 2, and just keep on going.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Leyburn posted:

So just read the whole thing? That could and up being quite expensive... :) Is Case File 1 not worth bothering at all?

It is pretty chessy and they have not discovered what they wanted Dredd to be. Case File 2 is a good start as it has almost all the Cursed Earth (lousy McDonald) and also Judge Cal. If you like it you can go on to Case File 3 and that has Judge Death.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's been tried. About 20 years ago Dredd was having doubts as well as getting older and he began planning to take the Long Walk, where a Judge who feels he can't cope with the streets any more goes into the Cursed Earth to bring law to the mutant territories. The Justice Department felt that they needed Dredd on the streets as he was known city-wide as a symbol of the Law, so began grooming a clone to take his name. Needless to say, it all went horribly wrong.

Just got back from the movie. It isn't perfectly Dredd-like, but it's as close as a movie can ever come. I recommend that you all go to see it, if only because you will want there to be sequels. If there are no sequels, you will never see this on-screen:

http://i.imgur.com/SqjI3.jpg

Come on how bad could it be with the clone? It is not like horrible murderous creatures take over and start murdering thousand of people daily while taking over the Judge Dredd replacement and making him like them.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 10, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

The Stallone movie it's closest to is 2007's Rambo (in terms of the violence, anyway). Tone-wise it's nearer early John Carpenter films like Assault On Precinct 13 or Escape From New York. The only thing it has in common with the 1995 movie is that it's based on the same source material. Other than that, they're worlds apart.

Wait the 95 movie was based on Judge Dredd from 2000 AD? I thought it was just unrelated characters with the same names.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Why would they have the helmet on the cover when he did not even wear it most of the movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

That's true I suppose, it is a more honest cover. It's still sacrilege though.

So was that god forsaken movie

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teek posted:

The Case Files are in black and white from my understanding, is that how the comics original were, or is that just a budgetary thing for the collections?

They were in Black and White until casefile 12 in which they are in color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Look at these glorious comics I got off Ebay

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 18, 2012

• Locked thread