Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nickmeister posted:

Edit: For some reason, I'm reminded of the latest Rainbow Six project (that I think fell through a few months back)

I think Patriots is still going, but they axed the creative director and a half-dozen other creative / narrative types, so it sounds like they're keeping the assets but redoing the story. (I'd guess Ubisoft got cold feet about having the player shift from being on Rainbow to being part of the terrorist group.) The new creative director was a designer on Heavy Rain. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also there is no way that they are not setting up Judge Death since they have Judge Anderson

Given all the weirdness that went on with this film's production and post-production, I have a hard time believing that the thinking is, "OK, we've got our sequel hook," but rather, "OK, let's hope and pray we make our money back."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

And Alan Silvestri's soundtrack is pretty kickass, too. The main Dredd theme rules.

Much like everything else besides the look of Mega-City One, though, it's completely inappropriate for Judge Dredd. It's "action hero suite 101."

I said it in another thread, but Silvestri's Dredd theme would have been nearly perfect for Captain America, instead of the bland junk ("Star Spangled Man" aside) that Silvestri turned out for that film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Batman Returns. Not climactic but still.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, the early promotion really didn't help -- the helmet looked goofy as hell in the first photos and I don't think anyone had any idea of how to sell the movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

poonchasta posted:

Someone call Joss Whedon and find out the exact wording of the contract he signed in blood with Satan to get Serenity made. It's our only chance.

He had a perfect storm: Fox was willing to sell the film rights for next to nothing, and Universal's president of production was a huge fan.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sentient Data posted:

And to be clear, my problem was with the advertising and the rest of the crowd that the 3d stigma threw it into.

Yep. The voiceover in every commercial referred to it as "Dredd 3D," which I'm sure didn't help (going along with the stigma of a September release). I seem to recall that the distributors also limited release of the 2D prints and strong-armed theaters into getting the 3D prints, which probably did some damage to the box office, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

effectual posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why a few bits of the movie look more grainy? Is it intentional but the pattern is subtle, or did the DP mess up with the film in a few spots, or what?

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but Dredd was shot digitally, so they may have had to push the ISO on some shots higher to compensate for poor lighting.

• Locked thread