Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
You guys, slow-motion is a drug, and the future is a return to the Middle Ages. This is going to own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, I haven't read more than a handful of arcs in this particular series. It sounds like I would find Garth Ennis' take on the franchise rather reprehensible.

Ennis is pretty much a low-rent Frank Miller. They are both teenage boys, but at least Miller has style. People rave about Preacher, but it reminded me of Kevin Smiths Dogma; some fun ideas drowned in dick-and-fart jokes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I don't understand what peoples aversion to seeing this movie is.

Most of my friends sadly seem to struggle with 'satire'. Like their reactions to Robocop, they think the movie is condoning authoritarian violence.

quote:

Dredd is not a figure of terror.

Really? What does his very name imply?

quote:

Dredd believes he is doing what is right and his actions are justified by the machine that he serves.

That's a big part of what makes him terrifying.

quote:

People claiming he's no different than Ma-Ma are wrong. Case in point, the scene where Ma-Ma sets up chain guns and levels an entire apartment block, possibly killing dozens or hundreds of civilians needlessly is far more telling of the kind of person Ma-Ma is versus Dredd. They're not opposite sides of the same coin. While Dredd does oftentimes put civilians at risk by shooting vehicles in traffic to stop them he's not doing it as needlessly or recklessly as Ma-Ma does

The movie presents them as almost identical; their body-counts and the brutality of them. The only real difference is that one is motivated out of selfishness (her drug empire and power) and the other out of selflessness (upholding The Law). so yes, Dredd won't fire directly on people who haven't committed any crimes, but that's only because of that technicality, not because of any real concern for them.

A poster earlier in the thread astutely pointed out that Dredd defeats Ma-Ma because the Judge is a superior monster. While both are willing to risk every one else in Peach Trees via the bomb, only Dredd is willing to risk himself as well. In a way, Dredd is scarier than any "bad guy" precisely because his instinct to survive is only as strong as his desire to enact The Law (which is so severe and ridiculous as to be only slightly less bad than the rule of criminals).

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 23, 2012

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

No one fears the judges in Dredd, so I don't see him as a figure of terror.

I don't know anything about the comics, just commenting on my perspective from the film.With the new film, I get the impression that no one could possibly know who Dredd is (so few of them in an overpopulated city).

Yeah I haven't read the comics, although I know of them and their influence. Never seen the Stallone film either.

But the film doesn't present Dredd as a unknown; he's famous enough that the corrupt Judges know of him, and the Chief doesn't pair Anderson with him at random but precisely because of his reputation. The film contrasts Dredd with other Judges like Anderson, the one guarding Peach Trees, the corrupt ones, and the Chief - creating the sense that Dredd isn't like the others; he doesn't care about helping others, he would never just stand around on the job, he doesn't care about money or himself really. And even though he does come around to the Chief's point of view, and incremently relaxes his adherence to the exact letter of the law, it's hard to picture the film's character ever adopting her nuanced approach.

"I sense rage, and . . something else."

The criminals reactions alone to Judges should be enough to portray they are very much to be feared, as if witnessing their enforcement wasn't enough.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sure, they fear Ma-Ma more than anyone else, because they live in her territory. And while the captains are certainly hardened gangsters, most soldiers are not portrayed as "any nut with a gun", but as nervous and desperate men quite aware of what they're going up against (especially as the film progresses). Anderson's big scene with the wife of one of her kills hints that for many in the block the game isn't just for gold, guns and girls; but rather basic employment (ie: survival).

The gang was freaked out about the Judges, I felt it was obvious they'd never shut down the building before - otherwise the computer-kid would have already been in control of everything. they certainly had planned for the occasion, but it's a mistake to assume that Ma-Ma's precuations (the railguns, having a line out to corrupt cops, the bomb) are underestimations of what Judges can do. She was afraid of Dredd, that's why she trapped him and his rookie in the first place, it was her best option to take care of them!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

She trapped them in so word of her operation didn't get out, not because she was afraid of him. She completely underestimated them, that was obvious. She had no worries at all over the Judges inside the building until the possibility of them interrogating one of her operatives became apparent.

Right, that is why she trapped them, but it doesn't mean she underestimated them, in the sense that she doesn't take the threat seriously. She tries every method at her disposal, but simply does not have enough power to (I wouldn't be surprised if the comics make a point of portraying that no force, legal or illegal, can) stop Dredd. He is utterly inexorable. Ma-Ma is only as mean as Dredd's world allows her to be, which in the end is not quite mean enough.

But you might be onto something, fear-wise. Ma-Ma doesn't act as agitated or afraid as her men, in fact doesn't seem to be overly disturbed by anything. She obviously doesn't want to lose the kingdom she's carved out for herself and pulls out all the stops to protect it and herself, but if she feels desperate it is subtle.

I think it's a combination of her being jaded by brutality, and the slo-mo addiction. Like any addiction, it's the only sense of peace she can enjoy. When she goes through the window, she ain't upset, but rather enjoys the tinkling glass and majestic swan dive.

I came for Karl Urban's Dredd, but stayed (and will revisit) for Lena Heady's Ma-Ma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Man, this is a mopey thread sometimes! Who cares about the box office? "Oh no there won't be a sequel" There are hundreds of sequels to films that didn't make money.

The democracy-as-illegal idea is the only one that would make an interesting sequel anyways. Judge Death sounds dumb.

• Locked thread