Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm a little bugged that they give away the main villain's death right in the loving trailer.

I mean, not like the movie was going to end with Judge Dredd not killing the bad guy, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Caught this the other night, it was def great, best comic book movie of the year pretty easily (even though I enjoyed Avengers, Batman and Ghost Rider) and one of the best action movies too. Hell, I liked it better than The Raid.

I think my favorite thing about it is how real Megacity One looked. Like, I'm having a hard time thinking of another movie that was enhanced so much by budgetary limitations. The lack of tons of CGI gussying it up made it incredibly tactile - it's the most scarily plausible looking dystopia since Children of Men.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

henpod posted:

The only thing which was odd was when Dredd and Anderson come out of the building. No one gives a poo poo, says anything to them, Anderson walks off and the chief lady comes up and asks if she passed. Are they unwaware that these two just killed about 100 people and took down a huge gang and drug manufacturing plant?

I think that was intentional. It seems like a lot to the audience, but to the judges, this is just another day on the beat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Another thing about this movie that John Layman pointed out on Twitter: the end credits put John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's credit right front and center, in contrast to, oh, every other comic book movie to come out this year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Come to think of it, I think the biggest laugh the movie got was at the end.

"What happened?"
"Drug bust."

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 24, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, thanks for giving away the punchline of the film, jerk :mad:

My bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be. Also if it was a normal day than why did Dredd give Anderson a pass if she lost her primary weapon?

The answer to this question is, I think, the same as the answer to "Why does Dredd let the kids off with a stunning?" and "Why does Dredd let the homeless guy off with a warning (at first)?" It's to show that while Dredd is THE LAW, THE LAW is still a human construct and thus flexible/fallible, even if it doesn't present - or even believe - itself as such.

Clumsy was right, this is a movie that gets better and better the more I think about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ersatz posted:

I haven't read the comics, but I'd like to think that the point is that it doesn't make sense.

I've only read a couple of the comics and none of the extended storylines, but yeah, that's what I think too. The Judges and the people of Megacity One are conditioned to believe that THE LAW is an infallible part of nature, but of course it's not. Contradictions and hypocrisy are inevitable, and THE LAW is frankly not equipped to deal with all situations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

The application of law isn't some ironclad thing that must be followed to the letter.

Of course it isn't in the real world, but in Megacity One, everyone's told it is.

Again though, I'm basing this on the two Judge Dredd movies and the 11 or 12 issues I've read of the comic. I could be wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Modus Operandi posted:

If this is the case they probably have different degrees of punishment based on age or situation. Gunning down kids would be a reprehensible application of "law" and devoid of any common sense anyways. People complaining that the movie Dredd didn't just plug the kids have some serious issues. The movie would have just been stupid at that point onward.

I agree with you about the second point, but I also think the whole point of Judge Dredd as a character is to point out that the way the Judge system applies the law is reprehensible.

Edit: also, what the guy above me said.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's possible Dredd was stalling in the hope she would show up.

There's no "possible" about it, he literally states this for the audience.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

marktheando posted:

Alex Garland has said that since they started trying to get the money together for Dredd right after Avatar, they pretty much had to make it in 3D or they wouldn't have been able to get it made.

God, gently caress James Cameron so hard.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for this explanation, I wasn't aware of this and it did strike me as odd that Dredd made a point of stunning rather than killing them. Like Affi I didn't have any desire to see children being killed, but it just struck me as odd that Dredd would relax his stringent adherence to the law in any situation, particularly in the context of this movie where he was otherwise unmovable. Now I know that killing them would have been against the law that he serves, it makes perfect sense.

I think Professor Clumsy answered this question pretty elegantly in his frontpage review:

Professor Clumsy posted:

Dredd is a character who could easily be the villain, because he performs acts of despicable violence without hesitation or remorse, but his conviction and belief in the law are what save him. Yeah, he melted a guy's head, but it was the law. Sure he didn't need to throw that guy to his death, but he was trying to prove a point about the law. He is the law, after all. The law doesn't discriminate (it does), and neither does he (he does).

Dredd reflects the law accurately, but the law itself is imperfect, unfair, and open to interpretation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah but we don't really know why he passed Anderson, do we? Maybe his reason was just "she tortures people real good."

Judge Dredd's mask is a lot like a Rorschach test. You can speculate a lot about the motivation of the man behind it. It's why I liked Urban's relatively subtle performance a lot. He didn't allow the character to fall too neatly into "sometimes cruel lawman with his heart in the right place" or "fascist with a boner for violence."

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 18, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This seems like a given, should I end every sentence with "imo?" That said, do Dredd's motivations even matter? In the end he did the right thing.

To answer your first question, um, no I guess? I'm not sure what you're getting at there. You do not have to state "this is my opinion" every time you state an opinion. I am still, however, allowed to disagree with your opinion.

To the second, that depends heavily on your definition of "the right thing." To my eyes, Anderson quitting the force was the right thing and Dredd yanking her back in is very wrong indeed.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 18, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

And furthermore, none of the three people I know who were aware of that movie were able to see it because it barely had any theaters/showtimes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

(do we even see Slo-Mo having any side effects?)

It fucks up your teeth something fierce, which I took as an attempt to equate it to meth, one of the more dangerous illicit drugs of the world we live in today.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Apart from Anderson giving a three week sentence to that vagrant, how much of that do we see in the movie?

Even cops aren't allowed to summarily execute or torture people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's funny because I feel like Dredd is the best Paul Verhoeven movie not actually by Paul Verhoeven.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

This is really grasping at threads here.

The real grasping at straws is insisting this movie has such a simple "good guy/bad guy" framework when the movie goes way the hell out of the way to demonstrate that this is not the case, but really that's what everyone's been telling you for pages now and you still don't get it so maybe we should all just let this discussion go at this point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

I'd argue this based on the fact that every time the drug is used by anyone other than its creator/main distributor, death immediately follows. There's a correlation there. I'd say if anything it reflects Ma Ma's corruption of the block/city.

Not to mention the emphasis on how bad it fucks up your teeth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

...uh...that's a mighty weird leap to make, dude. Early on they both show and tell you that slomo fucks up your teeth (the dudes Ma-Ma tossed off the building). Ma-Ma is shown to do lots of slomo, and she also has hosed up teeth.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

He already ignored the rules when he decided to stun the kids instead of killing them.

Also, as he shows with the homeless junkie in the beginning, he's perfectly willing to give certain things priority over others, even if it means bending the rules a bit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

Now when they say "of the year," do they mean "of the past three weeks?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Four corrupt judges who repeatedly mention that Dredd is one of the best and has higher standards of quality than most judges. Plus the two we see down at the base of Peachtrees, who aren't corrupt, are pretty gullible and incompetent. The Judge system isn't nearly as inviolate as Dredd says it is. He's the Serpico of the Judges.

Plus the fact that Dredd immediately sniffs these guys out as being corrupt seems to show that it's not a particularly unique occurrence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Well, I somehow doubt that Dredd has the time to evaluate all the rookies and make sure they are up to his standards. Not everyone can be as perfect as Chief Judge Fargo.

Yes, that's correct. Him evaluating Anderson is obviously a special case. I'm not saying he's not a total hardass, I'm just saying that from the looks of things, this is something he's dealt with before.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HTJ posted:

When the source material is a comic (or any other form of media) that has had to meet a regular publication schedule for decades, a lot of it will naturally be complete poo poo and any sane film-maker or fan should disregard huge swathes of it.

Dredd is an interpretation of the character; it is not the comic book blown up on to the big screen and, in an age of creeping police militarisation and a growing culture of assigning blame immediately for any perceived wrong (enabled by social media and 24/7 news), there are much more interesting and relevant things that a future film could focus on than an actual demon that wants to exterminate humanity.

Have you actually read the Judge Death stories or are you just assuming they're complete poo poo? Because they're actually some of the best Dredd stories ever told.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That being said, the likelihood of us getting a sequel with Judge Death - or any sequel at all - is so slim as to make this a moot point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I just saw the movie the other day, and me and my girlfriend found The Scowl comical, not intimidating.

Congratulations, you got the point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The ultra-scowl when Dredd's been shot through the stomach is one of the funniest parts of the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

A lot of people have trouble when something is multiple "things" at once. Dredd IS a complete and utter badass, but he is also a caricature. They are not exclusive.

This is 100% accurate and people really have trouble accepting that both are often the case (see also: Robocop, Batman, etc.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is he also the silly-haired henchman who gets napalmed in the movie? I think he might be.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Punisher MAX is excellent.

Seconded. It's both kinda neat and really frustrating that War Zone took the actual content of Punisher MAX and filmed it with the tone of Batman Forever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it might shock you to hear it but to some a woman being punched repeatedly in the face by a large man is something of a touchy subject

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even if he did it to a man, it is qualitatively different.

Sure, although in that case it's worth noting that Dredd does lay a pretty vicious beating on Avon Barksdale.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He does, but he's not like breaking his fingers and poo poo and getting off on killing the bad guy.

Yeah Dredd's "judgment" there is all the more brutal for how cold and simple it is. Plus I wouldn't trade that one shot of Ma-Ma willingly inhaling the slo-mo for the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VincentPrice posted:

Huh, didn't know it was censored in the US. Gotta love how extreme violence is a-ok for a rating but naughty bits are not.

if what neo rasa's saying is accurate, then it's the international version that was censored, not the US.

• Locked thread