Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I hate to be That Guy, but can I ask for some good Dredd comics to read? Some good self contained stories or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Black Bones posted:

The democracy-as-illegal idea is the only one that would make an interesting sequel anyways. Judge Death sounds dumb.

Thats 10 years in the Iso-cubes for you, perp :colbert:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is it ever explained why, of all places, the most densely populated areas are relatively fine but the much emptier areas are all nuclear wastelands? Megacity 1 should be like, Idaho or something really.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The literal and most basic view of a film is always the correct and most rewarding one, after all.

Everything about Anderson is showing that she's the new kind of Judge that the city needs. She doesn't beat the poo poo out of people for confessions, she just pulls it right out of their heads. She doesn't Kill, Arrest and Destroy everyone regardless of their crimes, she judges in all sense of the word, deciding her actions based not on the letter but the spirit of the law. She's diametrically opposed to Dredd who represents The Old Way. In the end, after seeing her in action, Dredd realizes this and realizes that the reason she failed the previous tests and such was because she isn't the kind of judge those tests exist for, she would need a whole new method of examination. One where the Law isn't an unchangeable brick to be hurled at someones head, one where morals can change depending on context and one where the primary tool of the justice department is the mind, not a box that shoots rockets or whatever.

Just because Anderson doesn't realize that her Gun isn't her primary weapon, doesn't mean it isn't. Her Mind Powers save her skin a ton of times, and her quick thinking saves her a ton more. She barely shoots anyone and when she does, she usually uses her mind powers to pick out when and who to shoot. Dredd obviously means the Gun when he first says 'Don't lose your dude' but at the end when he's all staring off in the distance, that's when he realizes 'drat she didn't even need a gun to oh wait that wasn't her primary weapon at all its like a metaphor or some poo poo dang'

Compare how they both deal with the other judges that arrive near the end Dredd sees another Morally Untouchable Representative Of THE LAW and treats them as such, almost getting killed because of it. Anderson sees a Person, Reads them, Judges Them, and moves on unhindered.

I mean it's either that or her primary weapon is literally her gun and every reference to that is a one dimension simple and literal reference. Either or.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Tripwyre posted:

I don't know if this is aimed at me, but I don't disagree with this. I was disagreeing with someone who said "it is never explicitly stated that the Lawgiver is her primary weapon". It is, several times. It is implicit that this is not actually true however.

Not at all. Not really aimed at anyone specific. I agree that basically whenever anyone actually says 'Primary Weapon' they are referring to the Lawgiver. There's probably something in that, actually.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

A theater not far from me is doing a screening of Dredd soon: http://drafthouse.com/movies/dredd_2d/northern_virginia

I expect to see all you goons there.

Yuuuup

• Locked thread