Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Like the first rule of Dredd. Do not show his face.

Karl Urban brought that up in a very early interview. I found it pretty funny considering he didn't want anything to do with helmets after filming Lord of the Rings (according to the Chronicles of Riddick commentary).

Poor guy just can't escape them drat helmets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Stallone Dredd movie, for me at least, is a guilty pleasure with friends. It's just some trashy shlock to laugh at and poke fun of. On top of that being silly entertaining and, as people said earlier, the practical effects were pretty awesome.

I know nothing about Judge Dredd - never read the comics. The trailer for Dredd looked a bit cheap in some parts but I got a real "80's action" vibe from it. So, if nothing else, that's a reason for me to see it. I just hope it isn't over-saturated with CGI.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I never read the comics but by going by that it seems like Dredd could be used as a title along the lines of "Dread Pirate Roberts" instead of being clones and whatnot. Seems like it'd be a way to have there be a Dredd but allow for some growth or something.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I saw it earlier today. The theater had about 25 people in it, so it was more than I expected. But also keep in mind that it was a nice Sunday so the parking lot wasn't even partially full (Noon time).

I really enjoyed it. It was nice seeing a hard R action flick again. It felt like the film was lost in time from the 80s. It was nice and pretty disturbing to see a hard-boiled cop film where those "out of line" action of said cop was considering the norm and was pretty much a requirement. It probably could have done more to hammer home the fact that Dredd was a terrible entity part of a terrible system to counter-balance the sheer badass moments and lines he had but as an introductory film it would have probably turned general audiences off to sequels (which I hope get made).

It's probably better they slowly add more and more of that stuff in future films. But yeah, film was goddamn glorious. I'll most likely see it again before it is out of theaters, I really did enjoy it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe. Though I remember looking at the rest of the box office for that weekend and it was pretty low across the board. There could be a sequel as one last hurrah to get things moving but if that one doesn't perform it could probably mean the death of the production company and any hope of another for a few decades.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Didn't Call of Duty full on endorse torture a few instalments ago? That game has never been parody.

Not to drag the discussion on too long, but Black Ops 2 is endorsed by a war criminal.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love how Urban is really into it too. Some actors just cut their losses and move on but he seems genuinely enthusiastic about the franchise.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And suddenly, Mama's gang having perfectly styled heads of hair all make sense...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it wrong to pine for more people being punched out of windows of really tall buildings in these kind of movies? It was pretty great in Robocop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It's exactly the kind of movie a 30 year old Power Rangers fan would make. Realistic. Badass. And totally not for kids. The way god intended Power Rangers to be.

The short was alright. But yeah, I thought that too. Except I thought it to be too fatalist. I did like that nice callback to Billy's original actor by making him gay in that short.

• Locked thread