Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Somehow this trailer looks like it was made with less of a budget then the Stalone Dredd movie..

This trailer is just like "gently caress yeah I wanna see this movie!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

The people who do remember the Stallone movie mostly loving hate it.

I like the Stallone movie over all it's a good 90s action movie, it's no Commando but then again few things are. Also I don't really know anything about Judge Dredd beyond he is a judge who is a hard rear end for the letter of the law and shoots people so I think it explained everything it needed to for people who aren't familiar. I did always think it was weird that for the first half of the movie everyone talks about how Dredd has no emotions and is a hardcore bad rear end who barely speaks but the second he stops being a judge he busts out one liners and stuff.

I can see how it doesn't really fit the source material but at least it was an interesting movie to look at. This one just seems kind of boring.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I can't believe there is so much hate for the Stallone Dredd movie. It was great!

poo poo for a comic book movie made in the 90s? It was practically the Avengers of it's time. People should be glad it wasn't Tank Girl or the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

You guys are forgetting that Dredd is NOT a faceless character. You can see his face just not his eyes that is plenty enough to characterize Dredd. Both in the Stallone movie and the new movie his head tells you plenty.

Everything about the Stallone Dredd reflects him in the movie. He's in control and his light helmet is more a symbol then new Dredd's tough battle armor looking helmet.

New Dredd you can tell this dude is busy and sees a lot of poo poo. Probably barely has time to sleep let alone be a super clean shaven dude with a nice wrinkle free suit.

The characterization thing has to do with seeing enough of the face so you can visualize a human as that character not just so you can see the expressions in the eyes. It's not like Morpheus is a faceless character in the Matrix just cause you don't see his eyes for most of the movie.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

marktheando posted:

It's not that they messed with the source material- that's something anyone adapting something into a film is going to do. It's that they seemed to not understand it, and then they kept adding random things from the comic cluttering up the movie. Mean Machine, Fergie, The Cursed Earth, etc etc. On the one hand it's a really unfaithful adaptation, on the other it's full of random things and characters from the comics, so much so that the main plot is neglected. It's the worst of both worlds when it comes to adaptations.

I don't think you will ever see a Dredd movie that is straight from the comics. It's such a weird series that I just don't think can translate to a major motion picture. Sort of like Aeon Flux that movie had literally nothing to do with it's namesake because they realized that they just couldn't do it.

I just can't see any company making a huge movie with a character like Dredd from the comics full of crazy fat guys with belly wheels. I think that hits it more on the head for the movie writers and stuff. It's really not that they didn't understand Dredd because in all honesty it's not a complicated character and story. The comics literally beat you over the head with the message over and over it's really hard to miss it. Seems more like they just didn't want to make that kind of character be the lead of a major movie and I can't really blame them.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 10, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I just got back from seeing this and man what an enjoyable movie. It's like the Avengers where it knows what it wants to do and does it. It wont rewrite the rulebook on action movies and it isn't amazingly innovative but it is one thing and that's super enjoyable.

That being said it wasn't playing at either of the large theaters in my city. Now I don't live out in the middle of nowhere poo poo I'm like 15 minutes north of downtown Seattle and it blew my mind that I had to go to the tiny 6 screen theater to see this when there is a huge rear end IMAX 19 something theater in the mall. I'm guessing it's probably like that a lot of places which isn't helping the numbers I'd bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I just saw it as Dredd knowing that she was full of poo poo and her plan wouldn't have worked. It's like in the 90s Dredd movie in the very beginning where he pulls up and is like "Pssh their guns don't shoot this far." Dredd should know all about bombs and detonators' effective ranges and whatnot.

• Locked thread