Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I am so pissed that this isn't out until October 25th in Australia. Especially since Karl Urban will be at a local convention I'm attending on October 12-14. Why the hell do we have to wait this long, I want to see this 5 goddamn times now, not later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

This movie's not coming to Australia for over a month for some reason. This sucks.

I wish they would just let us know WHY we have to wait. Even the Kiwis get it 3 weeks before us.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

God damned it. This doesnt come out untill Oct25th in Australia.

They dropped the ball a bit on distribution here as with such a wait a lot of people are far more likely to simply pirate it rather then wait that long.

Im still going to wait it out for JUDGMENT IN THREE DEE but its going to be irritating as this thread grows with more and more praise.

Also because it is the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U&t=1s

Germany and Switzerland actually have it even worse - they don't get JUDGED until November 15. Apart from them though, we literally are third last on the globe. Of course, when this kind of delay happened it just had to be on the movie whose big star is coming down to Melbourne on the 13th.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So people have said how the “blood flying out of the frame" effect is only done once, by quickly switching to a 2.40:1 aspect ratio for that one shot? I was thinking - wouldn't it be cool if, for the Blu-ray release, they actually went back and added a similar blood effect to multiple scenes in the film that covered the whole 16:9 ratio that the Blu-ray would naturally have at all times? I would love the hell out of that, and it would be a great way to take advantage of that particular difference between theater projection and digital presentation.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

For any fellow Aussies planning on seeing this when it hits in a month, Village Cinemas is selling the MAN PASS:

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Offers/Man-Pass.htm

$27, for use on 3 movies out of Taken 2, Lawless, Savages, PA4 and Dredd. I have no interest in Savages or PA4, but the rest should be worth $9 a screening.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

High-Def Digest has their DREDD Blu-ray review up.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8071/dredd_3d.html

Movie: 5/5
PQ: 4/5
AQ: 5/5
Special Features: 1.5/5 :smith:
Blu-ray-exclusive features: None
Bottom Line: Highly Recommended

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

marktheando posted:

It's not a reference to something. I forget the exact line but it was something like "I sense anger, and control, and something else..." The Chief Judge cuts Anderson off because we don't need to know any more about Dredd.

Yeah. It's almost like the writer is saying, though the Chief, that if you expect some in-depth look into Dredd's psyche then you're in the wrong movie, because that's not considered important compared to his portrayal as an extension of the law.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I wanna know who's loving brilliant idea it was to have the combo packs be the following:

DVD+Digital Copy

3D Blu-Ray+Blu-Ray+Digital Copy

Why not make it like every other combo-pack in existence, Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital copy?

Well, it is 'Dredd 3D'. And hey, even the 3D Blu-ray seems to be prices similarly to non-3D release titles. I already got it despite not owning a 3DTV and I'm happy with it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Arent most HD tvs sold with 3D included for the hell of it?

Nowadays they are, but someone who doesn't want it can still save money with a cheaper 2D-only model, so actual 3D TV home penetration might not be that great (I've heard consumer response to 3D has been a resounding "meh", and a lot of the 3D penetration would just be down to all really high-end models one would get for the best PQ having 3D anyway). I'm sure in a few years virtually every display sold will have 3D just because, but we're not there yet.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CronnySockett posted:

I'm usually not into blondes but yeah :swoon: x 100.

The blonde hair was just for Dredd. Case in point:

:allears:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I never realized this until a friend pointed it out, but Anderson is probably one of the kickassist chicks in movies ever. Yes she gets captured, but she does not need to wait for Dredd to rescue her. She is completely in control of her situation, and escapes completely on her own, and even saves Dredd.

Anderson is loving awesome. Lesser badasses have to use their hands/arms and visible physical effort to break a dude's neck. She just kicks them really hard in the face. Now THAT'S a snap kick.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait, was that big, unfinished CGI looking grey block on the right on all the Daredevil posters?

Not unseeing this. Ever.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It seems to me to be completely ambiguous - maybe Dredd decided to consider her mind-reading to be her primary weapon, maybe he just decided to break the rules in this case because he believed it was worth it. Personally I hope the former was the intent - isn't Dredd essentially supposed to be a pure tool of the law, and that's his fundamental character? Having him decide to ignore the rules in this case feels a bit like a ham-handed “we need to make the protagonist more likeable" thing. Or is he actually more morally fluid than I've heard?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, as he shows with the homeless junkie in the beginning, he's perfectly willing to give certain things priority over others, even if it means bending the rules a bit.

Yeah, but that's a part of the rules too - it's not much different to how they went to Peach Trees rather than any one of the crimes that were occurring. Dredd says they can only respond to 6% of crimes, and some are worse than others. He was limited and had to spend his time effectively. There wasn't a similar limitation here - the law says Anderson failed if she lost her primary weapon. If that's her Lawgiver, she failed, and Dredd broke the rules.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

massive spider posted:

Remember dredd is literally a Judge, judges get to decide how the law is interpreted. Law isnt applied immutably in real life.

At what point did you get the impression that Mega-City One's laws are applied as in real life? Also, even in reality, not all laws are 'interpreted' - some are very, very cut-and-dry. My point was that the primary weapon rule may be one of those, or it may not. The scene is ambiguous.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

massive spider posted:

Yes, its ambiguous. But its not even possible for every law to be cut and dried, even if the judges are ostensibly supposed to be arbitratrary enforcers of The Law there's still going to be times when they have to rely on their own judgement as to what that means. Passing Anderson for whatever reason is bending the rules, even if you decided that her "primary weapon" was her mind that's still some pretty creative interpretation of a law which is obviously as written intended to mean gun.

It is creative interpretation, but it also borders on being objectively true. Anderson's psychic abilities absolutely were more useful (and maybe more commonly used) than her Lawgiver. And I don't agree that he was bending the rules either way - either he reinterpreted her 'primary weapon' as her mind, in which case he was bending the rules, or the law actually does specifically refer to her gun, in which case he outright broke the rules by passing her.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

For some reason, this is a film no one saw at the cinema, but are all buying on dvd /blu ray. Weird. Maybe its a Brit thing and everyone knows of dredd in one form or another.

Maybe the good word of mouth didn't travel fast enough during the cinema run, but now after months it's grown to a greater extent?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

My copy of Dredd arrived today!

I was out until 2AM. The postman left a note to pick it up at the post office.

It's Friday.

:negative:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

CeeJee posted:

From the movie it seems strange she failed the test. She knows The Law and proves she's got good instincts for enforcing them. Her failure means the bar on becoming a Judge is insanely high which makes the appearance of no less then four corrupt Judges later on seem strange

4 out of what's probably a shitload of Judges isn't that much. Not to mention that Lex mentions having been on the streets of Mega-City One for 20 years, which would likely wear down even most highly-trained, trustworthy Judges to the point that they just don't give a poo poo. And maybe Ma-Ma just has good connections. We really don't know how common Judge corruption is. Just another thing I would have liked to see explored in a sequel. :( Or a TV series - does the movie feel like a really awesome, high-budget pilot to anyone else?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

He had Oscar quality frowning in the movie and also seemed to get the nuances of the character all the way down to not taking off the helmet even between takes.

The best way I've heard it put was that his chin out-acts Stallone's entire face.

And SyRauk, yes, sadly the movie had awful box office. Though it's done well on Blu-ray/DVD/VOD. I guess word-of-mouth did work - slowly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is it uncommon for films that recoup their expenses in DVD/Blu-Ray to get sequels? I hope that the guys that made this realize that the Stallone movie, despite being nearly a decade old, came out of the grave and hosed them, and that word of mouth for their awesome movie is positive. I know I've been telling everyone who's asked me that it's great.

I hope they see that too. I could see us getting a sequel after the good home format sales, but the sheer awfulness of the box office keeps me concerned.

Also, 'nearly a decade old'? The Stallone Dredd came out in 1995. More like nearly 2 decades.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

From a production point of view it was driven mainly by the budget constraints, overall I liked the look of the film for how it mixed into run down modern buildings in with the towering futuristic megablocks.

The cheesy Stallone version is more accurate to the original comics in terms of the overall scale for all the buildings since it had the luxury of a much bigger production budget.

Which makes it sound rather like Jedit's description of Mega-City One. Fitting.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Satire 1 Goons 0

Unless he's taking the piss, in which case... well, your post would still work!

Seriously though, yes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hewlett posted:

Seriously; I love smaller genre films like this, where the fate of the world isn't in the hands of the protagonist. Dredd's decision to be "day in the life" film was one of its greatest assets, I think, as it managed to say more about the world it inhabited than a movie where Dredd would have to save ALL OF MEGA CITY ONE from some crime boss.

This was definitely a major asset to the film ("Drug bust", what a perfect response), but it also made it feel (to me) rather like a double-length, super-high-budget pilot for a series. This is NOT a bad thing - I would watch the poo poo out of a nicely-budgeted, hyper-violent Dredd show.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

EDIT: I'd like to think that 'isocubes' is a portmanteau that anyone could parse and probably figure out what they mean from the implication.

I'd really like to as well.

:smith:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Because then she wouldn't get a cool action scene, and instead would just escape by doing the exact same thing she did earlier and it would be super boring and uninteresting.

Plus, the fact that Kay was in handcuffs and in the same room as Dredd the first time likely made him feel more overwhelmed, making it easier for Anderson to win a mental battle with him. In the case we're discussing, he was perfectly safe while Anderson had a gun to her head, not to mention he had already experienced her powers and would have known what was coming. It's just speculation, but that would likely make her unable to properly focus.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hewlett posted:

She could have also been spooked and panicked from having a gun to her head, not to mention how quickly the whole situation happened anyway. There are all number of reasons.

That's what I was saying - a gun to your head panics you and makes you unable to focus, likely weakening your mental state. The point above about her powers causing Kay to tense up and pull the trigger are another good point.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Has there been any mention on how the blu-ray sales have done? My hope was that they blu-ray sales would be good enough to push the film into getting a sequel.

They've been mentioned as very good - in the first 2 weeks on sale, the movie held the #1 spot in Blu-ray, DVD and VOD sales, and sold a total of 650,000 units in those two weeks. So yeah, a hell of a lot better than the box office, which I think may be due to the good word-of-mouth finally spreading after being given a few months.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Would they make a direct-to-DVD sequel?

Could they really do that? This was already a 'budget' Dredd, only $40mil, and set mostly in a single building. Dropping the budget to $5-10mil would be worrying.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Just me wondering and wanting some thoughts - who here would like to see the movie's Dredd continuity continue in the form of video games alongside the comics? Preferably with Karl and Olivia doing the mo-cap and voice acting? And please, no jokes about a certain game with Karl's voice and likeness that just came out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I think both of them are good and would serve as pretty good models for a Dredd game.

Given the sheer size of Mega-City One, I was thinking of a Dredd open-world game where you get sent out on cases. There could also be a portable game, designed with bite-sized missions.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It would be so great to have a sequel. I really do think the bad box office was due to a mix of not just crappy marketing, but the public being initially put off due to the Stallone film - many likely thought it was a sequel to that piece of poo poo. The exceptional Blu-ray/DVD/VOD performance could easily be pointed to as evidence that these initial misconceptions have been largely fixed due to the positive word-of-mouth the film has received, suggesting that a sequel would fare far better.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Why didn't the bomb explode in the end? Was it a bluff?

As Dredd correctly guessed, the signal wasn't strong enough to make it all the way to the top floor of a kilometre-high concrete building.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Well, it's not like making the movie more grounded made more people see it. It don't see why it could hurt to go full retard in the sequel.

The disc sales were great though. I would not be shocked if the box office was pretty much all due to people thinking it was a sequel to the Stallone movie - maybe that association had been partly eroded by the time of the disc release?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Devour posted:

I still can't believe that Judge Dredd made more money at the box office than Dredd. Dredd also had the 3.00$+ 3D surcharge too.

:negative:

The fact that so many people went to see Judge Dredd is probably WHY so many people didn't go to see Dredd 3D. :v:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

massive spider posted:

I don't think people necessarily thought Dredd was a sequal/remake of Dredd 95' though, so much as they thought "well they tried to do this before, and it sucked so obviously its a waste of time and the character is just bad and dumb".

Imagine if a new Tank Girl movie or something came out and it was a actually good.

It's just anecdotal but my friend, when I first mentioned the title, did in fact immediately assume it was 'a sequel to the lovely Stallone movie'.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

He specifically selects the hotshot for two purposes. One, it serves as an added punishment by excruciatingly painful death (opposed to just death) for the criminal having rejected his offer. Two, it serves as intimidation, reinforcing control and dominance by the Ministry of Justice.

Is it theoretically possible that a traditional headshot could have harmed the hostage by sending fragments of the guy's skull flying into her head at high speed?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

peer posted:

Here's a somewhat related question for the comic book dudes: does Dredd ever question the system, or does he think it's perfectly fine the way it is?

I haven't read them, but I've heard it mentioned in this thread that Dredd has in fact been a force for (very slow) progressive change over the course of the comics.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Danger posted:

"There was an area of about 200-300 square meters of glazed sand.... We understood this resulted from white phosphorus, and it was upsetting… in training you learn that white phosphorus is not used, and you're taught that it's not humane. You watch films and see what it does to people who are hit, and you say, 'There, we're doing it too.' That's not what I expected to see. Until that moment I had thought I belonged to the most humane army in the world."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8151611.stm

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_phosphorus_use_in_Iraq

I'm not sure if the comparison is quite accurate. Dredd is locked in a building with hundreds of armed gangsters gunning for him, and running low on ammo. Can we say the same for the ones who dropped the WP in that image? Of course, there's also the element of Dredd representing the system that causes situations like Peach Trees to occur, so yeah.

That said, there was something I was curious about. Dredd ends up running out of ammo, resulting in him using his last Hi-Ex round on a single human target, and getting shot by the armed Lex. What I'm confused about is, why doesn't he just grab one of the guns the dead Ma-Ma clan members were using? Anderson does, though that's admittedly only after her Lawgiver is entirely destroyed. Are Judges disallowed from using any weapons other than the Lawgiver unless said Lawgiver is lost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Nah, it's because the flow of the action in the movie demands that Dredd and Anderson start off well armed and gradually run lower on ammo and have to result to increasingly innovative tactics to survive. If they just kept picking up guns off the ground, the entire movie would've been "And then Dredd and Anderson fired thousands of machine gun rounds at the bad guys and faced no problems".

Well, yes, obviously that's the reason it was written that way - I was just wondering if there's any rule in the comic about Judges having to use their Lawgivers only, especially since I remember hearing something about Lawgiver bullets being DNA-tagged and thus needed for investigations and such. Or was that just in the Stallone movie?

• Locked thread