Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
Welp, will be rewatching Stallone's Dredd tonight in defiance of these scathing attacks. The trailer for new Dredd isn't lighting my world on fire, but fully expect Karl Urban to own bones even if the film is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I've always been a bit puzzled by people calling the '95 Dredd a terrible film. It sits uncannily between two of my favourite films in visuals, story, and years. It's largely a remake of Demolition Man, and leads the Fifth Element in costume design. Both films have famous fashion designers producing uniforms that are quite fabulous. Dredd's signals the camp tone with golden codpieces and lycra bodysuits, the silliness of which is played to the hilt in a film I imagine a lot of Dredd comic fans were expected to have a darker or grittier tone. It also cops of flak for being a Stallone film; I've never felt his speech impediment detracted from any of his performances, but everyone I know who it annoys has never really explained the problem with it.

Compare Versace

and Gaultier

The judges' HQ is also one of my favourite pieces of sci-fi architecture, which wouldn't look out of place in Starship Troopers.

As a darker, camper re-imagining of Demolition Man I've always liked it, although fewer lines from Rob Schneider would improve the pacing in the film's last third, and the fight between Rico and Dredd felt like a throwaway scene, although their conversation beforehand really outlines the core conflict between the two, and makes Rico far more sympathetic than he's supposedly written as. That he is played as a standard insane villain I think is a missed trick that Wesley Snipes did a much better job of.

Real UK Grime
Jun 16, 2009
I can understand how Dredd '95 may have been a wild departure from the images and themes of the comics, and how Dredd fans who wanted that would be disappointed at the lost potential - I have similar feelings about the Transformers films. However, I don't see that as a criticism of the film rather than viewers' expectations. Admittedly this discussion pops up in every thread where the existing source material has a fan base so I'm not looking to repeat it. I'm glad the film was made, stylish camp and all, and at the same time am looking forward to a more grounded effort in the new Dredd film.

• Locked thread