Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
This looks awful. I won't bother with how wrong Karl Urban looks because there are more grating problems.
Mega City One looks like Houston. It's supposed to be a dystopia, like Blade Runner but even shittier to live in. That's something the first movie got right. This looks clean and spacious. Mega City One is supposed to have apartment complexes that house tens of thousands of people with everything built really close together. This is a very important factor in the setting and atmosphere, it's one of the (unavoidable) causes of the high crime rate.

The Lawmaster looks like the bike from Megaforce.

Most importantly: Judge Dredd is supposed to be the face of a ruthless, totalitarian regime. He's the bad guy because the comic is a satire. In this movie he's a total badass because the death penalty is super awesome and if people didn't want to get shot they shouldn't have committed a crime USA NUMBER ONE! How could they not get that? Someone over in the "Who greenlighted this poo poo" thread's read the script and liked it even though there's no satirical bent on the fascism at all.
What's this slo-mo drug anyway? In the comics sugar is treated as a drug since that's one of the many, many things banned. 20 years for possession, they do sugar raids too. Totalitarian regime, remember?

What we have here is two tough cops making their way up a building, shooting drug dealers. That's all there is to the story. Even as a straight-up action movie it looks dull because the whole thing is CG. I get that they didn't have the budget to do it with practical effects, but then what was the point in making this movie? It's the complete opposite of the comics, philosophy-wise, and as an action movie it looks forgettable at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
All this mention of the OST to Dredd, you people should check out Drokk. Two guys on synthesizers (one of whom is in Portishead) scored the movie but it got rejected. Rebellion, who own Judge Dredd, then released the album separately.
https://www.drokk.bandcamp.com
I bought it on vinyl and it rules, fans of John Carpenter will appreciate it. I think it would have brought the movie to a whole new level because people don't do scores like this anymore.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Christ, what's wrong with you people wanting Judge Death in a movie? Don't you understand how tone and narrative work? Cream_Filling is right on the money.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

HTJ posted:

When the source material is a comic (or any other form of media) that has had to meet a regular publication schedule for decades, a lot of it will naturally be complete poo poo and any sane film-maker or fan should disregard huge swathes of it.

Dredd is an interpretation of the character; it is not the comic book blown up on to the big screen and, in an age of creeping police militarisation and a growing culture of assigning blame immediately for any perceived wrong (enabled by social media and 24/7 news), there are much more interesting and relevant things that a future film could focus on than an actual demon that wants to exterminate humanity.

This. I love the comic books, they're one of my favorite series but aside from a select few storylines (Democracy, America and Apocalypse War MAYBE) it's a completely different tone from Dredd. The stories aren't necessarily bad, Necropolis is fantastic but you wanting to have a comic book you like on a big screen does not mean it will work.

Also, Death was not planned for any sequels. No sequels were planned. Democracy and then Death were considered for possible sequels. Big difference.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

While Anderson has the most of an arc, Dredd's is important too - even though Anderson doesn't measure up to his personal standards she's nevertheless good enough to be a Judge. This is a pretty important moment for Dredd the character and Dredd the concept. He's normally a pretty unflinching guy who would basically never compromise The Law as he sees it, no matter what. But after a day of being very-almost overwhelmed and killed by the muck of society and the corruption of the very system he believes in (and the interrelationship between the two), he realises he can't actually fight that battle completely alone. You have to relax your principles enough that you don't make the perfect the enemy of the good - without Anderson, Dredd would literally have died. The Law itself is not enough. Even if an idea is perfect, you need people to believe in it and have your back for it to ever survive.

Whether or not this is a bad thing (Dredd ignores how the system he supports produces corrupt Judges and must be itself altered) is up to your interpretation.

I disagree. Dredd passed her because he saw her as a full Judge when she let the hacker guy go. She realizes there's more to judging than just executing perps, it's also about protecting the innocent. She takes charge as a Judge for the first time in that scene, and that's also when he starts calling her Anderson instead of rookie.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

That's how I see it too, she's being a real Judge rather than just saying what she thinks Dredd wants her to say.

That's my take on it too, though HBomberguy makes a great point.

blackguy32 posted:

Anderson didn't care at that point what Dredd thought because she had already failed (by losing her weapon )
To a point, but she still asserts her authority as a judge. She literally says she wants to do at least one good thing by letting him go.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I saw Dredd in theatres and loved it. The 3d was a pain in the rear end (it gives me a headache). Watching the 2d blu-ray (Eurogoons, the French version looks MUCH better) the slo-mo scenes look incredible so I don't think the effect added that much.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
I watched it again tonight and noticed the brief shot of the copper wire sculpture on Ma-Ma's bedroom floor at the end of the movie. I interpret that as her sexually abusing the network guy, in addition to the physical and psychological abuse she heaps on him.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
Huh, didn't know it was censored in the US. Gotta love how extreme violence is a-ok for a rating but naughty bits are not.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if what neo rasa's saying is accurate, then it's the international version that was censored, not the US.

This is how they're in the European cut (both theatrical and blu-ray) and you do see her double naked, albeit blurred. I think he meant that the US cut doesn't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
The best story is America, nothing's topped that. If you want to really get into Dredd, take the advice posted before.

• Locked thread