Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I saw it the other night and loved it. I wish the later gunfights were a little more creative but the violence of the minigun scene made up for it.

regarding passing Anderson, I got the sense that, while outwardly he reduces everything to binary (guily/not-guilty, pass/fail) inwardly he does understand that the world is a more complex place, he just doesn't let on. He weighed up the complexity of Anderson's actions, motivations and what the city needs, and reduced it to a binary choice. I noticed that he in no way qualified his answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Going back to the wonderfully distinct henchman, on first viewing I didn't really like the gunfights. None of them had that much flair or anything. But it does tie in wonderfully with the idea of Dredd taking their identities. Mama's personal bodyguard gets dropped just as routinely as everyone else Dredd kills.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DieLaughing posted:

This is the kind of thing that you Dredd comic fans need to be saying if you want to convince people that a Dredd vs. Death movie could work. All the pictures of Death make him look like a dweebie zombie wearing bat wings that hisses like Cobra Commander and I mentally check out whenever I see them. But a psionic rot in the population and inexplicable death cults? That I'd watch.

Basically End of Days, but not awful. Vincent Cassel as Judge Death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ennis is so goddamn good at coming up with really hateable villains its unfair. Whatever flaws he has as a writer, his villains are always amazing. I like that with "The Boys," he went in the opposite direction, and wrote a cold, distant villain instead. Its his real talent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

The Boys is still pretty great as a whole though. Sure it has some that's a little far ,but honestly it's believable in context of the world. It's got a pretty strong relationship story which Ennis is really drat good at knocking it out of the park with, for all his cynism he's actually a romantic.

Same as how the marriage in the very, very bleak arc "Widowmaker" is shown to be the source of the cop's strength.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still think the best thing about the Stallone movie is that Rico violently, bombastically escapes from prison and no one gives a poo poo.

It's more that they cover how he gets out of his cell (or, at least, how he kills the first two guys) and then skips the other 99% of the escape.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Syncopated posted:

Constantine has Keanu Reeves falling through a glass roof and landing in a fountain or something iirc.

It's not Keanu, it's Rachel Weiz. And it's done as one long shot, filmed through the glass rood she falls through. It's pretty impressive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Raid as done by Clive Barker,

I'll put that on my list of things I want to see that will never happen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched this today for the first time in far too long. Goddamn what a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Also, while Dredd is a great film, John Wick is a loving amazing popcorn action movie. John Wick is "turn your brain off" in the sense that they spend the first 20 minutes of the film exactly laying out the character's motivation and backstory so that you can just watch him shoot people for the entire rest of the movie. It's not surprising that it's pretty popular, simply because it's impossibly to be confused by it.

Especially when they picked a dog that you totally believe someone would kill most of a city to avenge.

• Locked thread