Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This looks like Equilibrium but with the judges and government as the good guys. In other words utterly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I did get the impression that Dredd didn't care about the hostage but I'm almost certain that the hotshot thing was supposed to stop her from getting splattered by bits of shrapnel like chunks of skull. He's certainly an evil gently caress though and kills unnecessarily, the bit where he lures a bunch of guys into a trap and burns them all to death is brutal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Problem I'm seeing is that I don't think any theatrical version of Dredd could fit in with what you want Baron because it be sorta impossible to do because comics don't translate well to the cinema. You've seemed to have decided this is a generic action flick and no one is going to convince you otherwise, so where is the discussion ever going to go?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Barlow posted:

Having just seen this film I think it may be the clearest example of Poe's Law in a film that I've ever seen. I honestly can't tell if parts of it are a celebration of a right-wing "law and order" police state or a parody of it as some people here are arguing. My inclination is to say that it's both, though I'm not sure that everyone involved in the writing and production understood it as such.

The film honestly may be too subtle in the parts that are critical of Dredd and the Judges. I remember most critics taking Starship Troopers at face value and that movie is about as obvious in it's satire as a baseball bat to the head. Sadly most of the audiences leaving Dredd are likely to see it as just another lone hero, fighting for the state against an evil racially different other.

I really can't see how someone could watch Dredd and come away thinking it's celeberating Dredd's actions. Everything about it says this system is lovely and it doesn't work. I didn't feel that it ever glorified what Dredd did, when he stunned and executed people it was about as far away from a cool action hero as you could get. His eye for an eye executon of Mama at the end really hammered it home that Dredd is not a good guy.

I did enjoy the action but in the same way as I enjoy Terminator gunning down a bunch of people in a nightclub when chasing down Sarah Connor.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Dredd's actions are not to be celebrated, but they cannot be condemned either. He pretty much does what he has to do.

Why can't they be condemned? Just doing your job isn't considered a very good excuse.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

You want villains who the heroes can slaughter without a second thought and whom the audience will not sympathize with? Use Nazis or drug-dealing gangsters.

Dredd goes out of the way to make you feel bad about the gang members, we get an entire bit with one's family and we can assume most of them are residents and also have family living in the apartment block. They're not nice people but you're not supposed to be cheering while Dredd executes them while they're incapacitated or when he blows them apart in gory slowmo.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, this is a scene that plays out a lot in the modern day. Do you ever watch police chase videos? In America, if a car doesn't pull over on the orders of a cop, the cop will chase it down. Sure, this opening scene was not self-defense, but it's normal procedure. The violence that ensued was extraordinary, though.

That's why Dredd is satire though, it's making fun of what happens in the real world by showing it in an extreme and ridiculous way. It might even be trying to say something about the police!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

But the film is filled with satire and a lot of dark humor. I don't know if it was done unintentionally or not but it doesn't really matter.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I really don't get the orange/blue hatred thing. Is it entirely spawned from the movie poster thread mocking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

It's a much broader internet thing.

Welp, apparently it's in every modern movie but I've never noticed it as a negative.

• Locked thread