Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

particle409 posted:

I can't help but be annoyed that everyone is so pretty. In a world of mutant and junky criminals, the occasional average to ugly person might be present. I kind of liked that they had a mutant/cyborg guy in the Stallone version. Mean Machine if I recall correctly.

All the mooks they showed were really ugly and Lena Headey has some serious scars on her face (though any ugly-person makeup they give her is offset by the fact that she's Lena Headey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Am I the only person who really isn't bothered by the fact that this looks like a generic action film? At this point, a "generic action film" along these lines (stone-faced gravel-voiced protagonist shoots lots and lots of bad guys) is kind of a breath of fresh air; we haven't really had any good ones other than The Raid (which this pretty much looks like a cyberpunk version of, as I said in the Who Greenlit thread) in probably close to a decade.

I love the Dredd comics but if this forgoes being a perfect adaptation in favor of just being a really fun to watch action film I'll be satisfied.

Xenomrph posted:

But since this is meant to be an introductory "reboot" and isn't connected to the Stallone movie (which came out 15+ years ago and people probably don't remember too well anyway) why would it matter if they re-used some of the more straightforward Dredd villains?

The people who do remember the Stallone movie mostly loving hate it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

echoplex posted:

But not everyone. Probably helps that I have no interest in comics, though.

Yeah, I pretty much figured you would be one of the ones who liked it. For all its faults it has amazing production design and art direction. :)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It bears mentioning that this song owns by the way.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
With a lot of that, you really have to consider that a lot of Dredd stuff is very satirical. Just because there's an element present in it doesn't mean it's remotely sincere.

e: Also Lena Headey being cast as Ma-Ma removes a lot of the problematic elements with her appearance. Lena Headey is neither fat nor ugly, even with the scars.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jonny Angel posted:

p.s. hi Sean how's SotF holding up

Oh hell, dude, I didn't even know you got an account here. And a red title too, no less. :haw: I haven't been on in a while outside of chat, but everyone's doing okay by the looks of things.

But yeah, what bobkatt (clumsily) said as far as the violence goes. The "100% certainty" thing only matters for people that aren't trying to kill Dredd and Anderson.

Truthfully I'm gonna wait and see, anyhow. Worst case scenario, the fact that it looks like basically a cyberpunk version of The Raid means it'll be a drat fun action movie.

eta: I will poo poo with happiness if the unknown movie is Slaine.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So apparently a lot of people are angry that violent movies are still coming out after the Aurora shooting. This and Expendables 2 are the main targets of that.

Granted, this is on IMDB which is a loving cesspool, but if it reflects the general opinion in any way... :ohdear:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dickeye posted:

e: I'm not doing a comic book rant in here, but seriously what the poo poo? Frank Miller? Style? What was the last thing you read by the guy?

Everything he did up to Dark Knight Strikes Again is plenty stylish, even if he did go insane after 9/11. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Sin City may be mostly garbage but you can't exactly call it ugly garbage. Like I said, he didn't start getting lazy on the visual aspects until DKSA and post-9/11.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Perhaps I'm thinking of "style" in a different sense than what either of you are, then, in which case disregard that I'm dumb.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jose Mengelez posted:

Holy crap, remember how in the old 2000ad comics before poo poo was glossy as hell, how everything was black and white and then near the spine there would be a couple of "COLOUR PAGES gently caress yeah!"]....?

Megacity one looks grey as hell and huffing 'slo mo' makes all the colours super saturated.

:aaaaa:

...:aaaaa::fh:

That is amazing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's just a cool image that gets across the general aesthetic and feel of the movie, nothing more and nothing less.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Holy gently caress. It's literally The Raid.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CheechLizard posted:

Dredd began development before The Raid and post production meant it ended up released afterwards.
The Raid is literally Dredd.

Given that The Raid was loving awesome and I meant that as a compliment to Dredd, I'd say it barely matters. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Fuuuuck I want to see this movie so badly. They keep playing ads for it on Comedy Central during Always Sunny and Futurama reruns and it just makes me want to see it even more.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

henpod posted:

This movie was great. The only thing which was odd was when Dredd and Anderson come out of the building. No one gives a poo poo, says anything to them, Anderson walks off and the chief lady comes up and asks if she passed. Are they unwaware that these two just killed about 100 people and took down a huge gang and drug manufacturing plant?

It's less that they're not aware and more that that's really not out of the ordinary.

e;fb

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Dredd actually went up a couple places from the weekend to Monday. It opened at 6th and was pulling 4th. While that's still not great, it shows that the movie has loving awesome word of mouth.

It's also not dropping many theaters, so that's a good sign.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did anyone else find the back-and-forth between Anderson and Kay absolutely hilarious? Olivia Thirlby and Wood Harris are outstanding comedic actors.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

James Polk posted:

I don't understand why Dredd didn't cuff her and take her out of the building instead of risking the whole place exploding.

Is it "because Dredd."?

He explains his reasoning right before he does it. :psyduck:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also because Dredd knows that wireless signals tend to not really do a whole lot through poo poo-tons of solid concrete, which holy poo poo people he literally says right before he kills her how did you all miss this. Like, that's very explicitly why he tosses her over the edge instead of just shooting her in the face like every other perp in the movie.

NESguerilla posted:

There's one thing I have wondered about since I saw it. What tactical reason did Dredd have to use the Hotshot? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just shoot the guy? I know it was an excuse to melt a dudes head but still

The perp was an rear end in a top hat and caught Dredd in a bad mood.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 3, 2012

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, while Dredd is an awesome movie and is pretty much guaranteed to be a cult hit on DVD and whatnot, it was probably doomed from the start as far as its theatrical release goes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Sounds like Urban and Garland really want to make more of them. I'd love to see it happen but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

You know, I have a feeling this movie's gonna pull a Fight Club.

Fight Club, for all it's known as a 2000s (well, late 90s, but it defined 2000s culture more) pop culture cornerstone, loving bombed at the box office. It didn't become well known until it hit VHS and DVD, where it turned a surprisingly big profit. I'm getting the impression that Dredd is gonna be the same way, and if it is, Urban and Garland (and presumably Thirlby and everyone else involved) are probably gonna get tapped for sequels.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

I always assumed Fight Club was big in the box office. I still remember seeing it in a loving packed theater. I also remember not wanting to see it because of the name. I'm glad my buddies dragged me to see that one.

It was made on a budget of 60 million and only made back 30 million. Total.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
(crosspost from the general chat thread)

So I'm watching a new anime called Psycho-Pass, and, uh, it's pretty much Dredd: The Series.

Like, the main characters are almost literally Anderson and Dredd, with the main difference being that Not-Dredd is technically Not-Anderson's subordinate, and a lot of the visuals and even some of the music are pretty much lifted straight from Dredd.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To be honest, Bifford does sorta have a point. In the context of other works about police, Dredd is actually really, really close to a lot of straight depictions (Lethal Weapon and Dirty Harry come to mind). It also marks a key difference between comic and movie; the movie takes it for granted that such a character as Judge Dredd would be absolutely ridiculous, whereas the comic kinda beats you over the head with its satire.

While I like the movie's approach better, and I feel that the comic's approach would have given the movie some serious tone problems, Bifford's reaction does somewhat illustrate the problem.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

marktheando posted:

Yes this is my understanding as well. I'm thinking it's just some homophobic fans who hear the words "Dredd" and "gay" in the same sentence and have an aneurism and don't bother reading the rest of the article. The writer of the story has said in an interview that Dredd's sexuality is extremely repressed and he could be gay or straight, who knows.

If you read the actual article, there's exactly two homophobic fans and one of them doesn't even read the comic (he mentions "not seeing that film").

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I have hope. How else can you explain the Riddick trilogy?

It was Vin Diesel's pet project and he threw a lot of money at it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, uh, on what planet is Punisher War Zone brown and flat? It's a loving beautiful movie, for any flaws it may have.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, having the majority of the world be like in the first movie but having Judge Death be exactly the same as he is in the comics would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I wish there was a good Punisher MAX adaptation, but at the same time I'm pretty okay with War Zone the way it is. It feels like a spiritual predecessor to Hobo with a Shotgun.

• Locked thread