Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

VincentPrice posted:

Most importantly: Judge Dredd is supposed to be the face of a ruthless, totalitarian regime. He's the bad guy because the comic is a satire.

He's not the bad guy. He's not exactly the good guy either, although he has moments. It's 2000 AD, he's mostly just the guy. I mean he's currently fighting for mutant rights and poo poo, he's killed his bosses a few times, he's quit when he thinks he can't uphold the law anymore. He's not a totally brainwashed fascist monster....he's just nearly completely unemotional and lacking almost all empathy in the face of justice. He is the law as they say, and sometimes that's good and sometimes that's almost hilariously out of touch....and sometimes that's brutally cruel to innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
But he thanked him!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I love how they always try to sell Dredd as a cliche action hero, when some of the bigger and more popular stories are more personal in scale, and the rest are generally way the gently caress more out there than most blockbusters. Like they'd never think to do a movie about "America" or "Necropolis", but they'll have him just kill some random criminals for an hour forty. A lot of the better Dredd stories actually have him introspective and critical of the law and it's place in Mega-City One. It's not all "Pull out the Lawgiver and lets fire off some explosive bullets!" and Dredd as an unthinking fascist monster with a boner for the law.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

massive spider posted:

I actually prefer Dredd as an unthinking fascist to be honest, the whole "well shucks maybe I'm in the wrong after all" thing doesn't really work for me.

To me its a lot more interesting and braver to have a protagonist who's just an out and out dick rather than try to humanise him.

The thing is, he's still a fascist. He's still fine with the draconian laws, the near total rule of the Judges, all of that. He's just not a total cliche. Why shouldn't mutants that can follow the law be allowed to suffer under it like everyone else? Why shouldn't we put the system to a vote if we have the support of the people? Dredd is a fascist that thinks their brand of fascism is the best thing people have going, he's not a fascist because WHOOO SHOOT PEOPLE IN THE FACE DIE CRIMINAL SCUM! He's not all that much of speciesist or classist or racist. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. That is to say, everyone is found wanting.

One of the better things they've done is actually build a narrative and a history. Dredd has aged exactly as much as years that have passed since the first story. He's old as balls now, and he has a lot of story behind him. And that history is referenced, it has a real impact on the city and the stories. Dredd as an actual figure with growth and emotions is better than a joke Dredd. It gives weight to the brutality that does happen. An unthinking oppression machine gets boring. Dredd still tells interesting stories after all these years because they avoid that.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 24, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Spalec posted:

That bugged me too. Judge Dredd loves only one thing.

The law.

That's not entirely true. He loved his brother, he has family, there are people and things he cares about....they just probably shouldn't expect any hugs or positive statements or him not to brutally murder them in the face of the law.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Joseph. Because when you are designing the perfect judge to inspire fear and obedience, you call him "Dredd". But you also want him to be someone the common man would want to have a drink with, so you make him a "Joe". Good ol' Joe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Dude has robo-eyes, he gives no fucks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Handsome Dead posted:

So, is he going to die?

They've done every conceivable thing to ensure there will be a Dredd, be it him or a clone of him that they will tell people is Dredd. For good or for ill, he's become the personification of the idea of Law. It'd be devastating to social stability for there to be no Dredd. It's like they are self-aware enough to recognize that he is, in fact, the protagonist of their little storybook world. Their technology can ensure he goes on for a long time [Conceivably brain in a robot body Dredd could be lighting up the pages of British comics in a thousand years, still aging in real time], but the reality is he's lost a step. He's not quite as tough, not quite as quick on the draw. People are worried about Dredd getting older and what it means.

They have a lot more continuity and 'realism' than most comics out there. Still comics, but they at least pretend it's a real world a bit harder than they might strictly have two. Of course they aren't too stuck up to keep from introducing undead psychic cops from an alternate dimension to get a bit of the old ultra-horror going.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Of course it isn't in the real world, but in Megacity One, everyone's told it is.

Again though, I'm basing this on the two Judge Dredd movies and the 11 or 12 issues I've read of the comic. I could be wrong.

You are. Very few crimes carry a mandatory sentence. Judge Dredd has even proscribed mental health care to people who were clearly insane when they killed others. People with future shock for instance aren't generally bad, they are sick. They get treatment.

It's not so simple as "This is a satire in which the fascist law system of the Judges is always wrong". Well no, you don't get it that easy. Sometimes it isn't wrong. Sometimes it's fair, or compassionate. It's why people let all the terrible poo poo that goes on get a pass. Because of those moments where it is clearly in the right.

It wouldn't be compelling satire that lasted decades if it was always so obvious. Dredd is both the most fascist of all Judges and the greatest force for social change in his setting. He is humanized, but only to the extent where we see how terribly broken a human being he is [He tries to have social interactions with people he cares about, but he just...is not in any sense equipped for them. He is the Law, and outside it is almost nothing.]. He is the hero and the cautionary tale all in one.

That's why it's a compelling comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

His biggest nemesis is democracy.

Which he kills with democracy.

• Locked thread