Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's out in Australia! Finally! So I'm probably just repeating what's in the thread already, but anyway:

I was very happy with it, as are most people it seems. I loved Lena Headey in particular; she was a proper Dredd villain, it was like she'd stepped out of an old-school 2000AD. The only way she'd have looked more Ezquerra-ish was if they'd cast Danny Trejo.

I did miss the wackiness of the comic a bit, if only because the insanity of the 2000AD Mega-City One, all the idiotic fads and the Boing and bellywheels and floating surfboards, made such a great contrast with Dredd's stone-faced exasperation as he tried to hold it all together. Here he's just a grim and gritty badass in a city full of grim and gritty badasses. Still, Urban nailed it, I'd thought it'd look silly if he held the scowl all through the movie but by the end I was praying that he wouldn't stop.

It figures it's bombing (we can't have nice things after all) but I can't really see how they'd pull off a Cursed Earth story in this more realistic setting, let alone the Dark Judges. Oh well.

edit: Oh, and the Slo-mo effects were just beautiful, and looked fantastic in 3D, which normally I can't be bothered with. I was a huge fan of that super-slowed-down Justin Bieber song when it came out, and I loved that they used the same music effect here.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I don't know anything about the comics, just commenting on my perspective from the film. At least the 95' Stallone version showed that people knew who Dredd was and some were even afraid of him. With the new film, I get the impression that no one could possibly know who Dredd is (so few of them in an overpopulated city).

I thought it would be neat if DREDD turned out to be set early on in MC1's history and future films (hahaha) showed how Dredd and the Justice Department got the upper hand and turned it into the fascist nightmare we know and love.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Fury Road is unequivocally better than Dredd in pretty much every sense, I'm sorry but it's true.

Dredd is still a really fun film but story-wise it leaves a lot to be desired since it's all just an excuse for a The Raid scenario.

Fury Road atleast has something to say.

Disagree! I think a movie "having something to say" is wildly overrated, but as far as it goes I found Dredd's commentary a lot more pointed than Fury Road's, which is so stylised and abstracted it's not all that useful.

e: VVV this too VVV

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 21, 2015

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I dunno man, Judge Dredd has faired pretty well out there in the Cursed Earth, I'm pretty sure he could take Mad Max

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

During the whole intro (45 minutes) of the movie all I could thing was that this is definitely cursed earth.

It's so 2000AD it's ridiculous.

• Locked thread