Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Eararaldor posted:

Thought this might be interesting for this thread....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWP88WKVBKs

This honestly makes it sound like it's not that daunting of a task. Urban and Thirlby are the only semi-recognizable actors who didn't die in the first one, and they're not exactly A-listers, so lowering the budget sounds totally plausible, and poo poo, I'd watch Dredd 2 with The Rock if that was the other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
poo poo, I'm pretty sure just making a sequel in 2D would knock down the budget pretty significantly, actually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think in this case you could make a pretty good case that 3D barely helped the original. It's also only like a dollar extra now here in Houston.

e: did it even come out in 3D in a lot of territories?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hob_Gadling posted:

Dredd 2, Presenting The Rock as Mean Machine Angel

Yeah okay I like this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Doom was fun, though! It catches undeserved amounts of poo poo just for not being faithful to the game, I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wade Wilson posted:

Also how could it be more faithful to the game? Have Urban walk through a door to see a giant human head from some software company or something and shoot it? We got that stupid first-person sequence out of it that was just about as close as you'd get to how horrible the games were.

...it kinda did ditch a very large amount of the games' premise.

In the game, the basic idea is that a lab on Mars was working on FTL tech or something like that and accidentally opened a portal to Hell, causing demons to spill out and kill the poo poo out of everybody. Your marine lives somehow, and as the sole survivor, it's his job to clean the place out and close the portal. A "real" Doom movie would play out pretty much like The Raid as done by Clive Barker, instead of what we got (which ditched the religious horror angle entirely and played out like a decentish Aliens clone).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It would have literally been Clive Barker's The Raid. Just 90 minutes of a beefy dude wrecking the gently caress out of abominations from Hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tripwyre posted:

I'd like to counter this 3D naysaying by adding that Dredd's 3D is FAR from a tacked on gimmick and enhances the film (particularly the slo-mo sequences) a lot. The reason I own a 3D TV is because I wanted to see it like that again.

It's something that enhanced the film, but I don't think it's essential enough that I would say "no deal" to Dredd 2 in 2D.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really, that and not the opening?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

It's not essential for the film to work but that dude's cheek exploding in slow motion and the trick with it moving over the letterboxing was real nice... The violence in this film looked almost beautiful.

That trick is actually in the 2D version too, I'm fairly sure. I know I saw it once in 2D in theaters and I definitely still noticed it, and I remember the original Youtube clip of that scene having the effect too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'm kind of curious, what changed?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I think I'm cool with the US cut.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I know the version on Netflix at least was the same as we got in theaters, though I can't comment on the bluray.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fury Road is kinda locked into that color palette, to be fair, because the desert is orange-ish and the desert is very large parts of the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I've seen the movie. It's a deliberate stylistic effect that goes with what the movie's going for, it's not clashing with anything; Mad Max is more of a sensory assault than a movie, and that's entirely deliberate and loving awesome.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Again: Fury Road is O/B because the desert is orange. The entire landscape that the film is shot in is as orange as your mother's pussy. They had no other options for color palette, regardless of the film's visual style otherwise, and the exaggeration of it gels perfectly with the rest of the movie. What part of this is not clear to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be fair, I'm the only one posting about my theory that the tanker was actually full of Max's milk, not the wives.

and i'm really blatantly not being serious

• Locked thread