Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Armani posted:

His helmet is too big. Stallone's actually fits around his face and was molded for him, it looks like. Urban looks like he is wearing something made for Stallone. Like a kid in a Space Marine helmet.

It's really bothersome, and I like Urban enough for the role otherwise. Christ, it seems like such an easy fix, too!

That's been my biggest issue -- the helmet and costume in general is just so loving bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kush posted:

It's brutal all right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lMmRe6Z44

I hope they don't overuse the slowmo-gimmick too much, even if it looks quite nice.

I don't mind this clip but im with ya on that I hope they don't overuse the 3D gimmick too much. I did like the oversaturation of color -- it actually made the helmet look nicer to me. You can even see it in the still before playing -- that helmet looks loving AWESOME. Doesn't look too big or anything. Now, maybe at the end he'll get bigger shoulder pads. :3:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll still be wary as people were jerking off the Expendables as the greatest action movie in forever and what we got was boring and forgettable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While I have some Dredd superfans here I was wondering if you could point me towards this collection/book. I remember back in say, 1990/1991 my friend in grade 2 or 3 had a copy of a book where Dredd has a sign that says, "The buck stops here!" and also included in the book was a story with nuns who had giant claws and Dredd had to stop em. That is about all I can remember.

Any idea where this story is or what story it was?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Without looking it up, what is Dredd going up against? I think it could easily do $50 million over a couple weeks if it's a decent enough movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So far, so good. Excited for this now! :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sometimes movies just won't make the money, can't really predict success. It just happens, even for good movies that make no money.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

$27 up here in Canada but that is nothing for one movie. Cannot wait to own this and hopefully join with others in maybe getting this a sequel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, I thought I saw I saw it at Best Buy & Future Shop but they now have it as $24.99.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arent most HD tvs sold with 3D included for the hell of it?

Also: "C'est de la Bombe" :canada:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 8, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Most likely talking about certain tvs where they "smooth motion" which means it was your friends TV as this looks absolutely gorgeous on my setup (60" 3D Panasonic plasma).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The guy who did the soundtrack for Dredd, Paul Leonard-Morgan, put up a new unreleased track yesterday in celebration of it coming out.

quote:

Hey DREDDheads! To celebrate the release of DREDD on DVD and Blu-ray, an exclusive and unreleased track has been mastered for your ears only! Head over to my website http://www.paulleonardmorgan.com/downloads to not only hear the track, but download it for FREE! Enjoy!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're going to slag a movie at least pick the right loving image.

I wrote the guy as he's a local and hopefully he responds. Such a shame some newspapers didn't get this movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, my wording was poorly picked there as he's not really slagging it. Just that between the image of the Stallone flick and the low score, it's like no matter what is said no good luck can come for this movie.

I am not sure why I care so much as at least I am entertained but I feel like it's no fair to the people who put the effort into this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He just got back to me actually and said he felt The Raid took the premise in a better direction. Not sure I agree even though The Raid was great on it's own terms - I personally do not compare them to each other.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Things that are memorable to me are stuff like:

-the intro bike chase
-Your move hotshot
-the flare scene
-the gattling gun
-the kids
-the judges dueling

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She can still read minds if I remember right but the helmet just makes it more difficult.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Messed up - it's obviously not the discs and something in your setup is borked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Dredd page today was saying it was #1 on iTunes and something else that escapes me but it's doing really well it seems.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was my initial problem when shots first came out. The ones they selected looked so loving goofy. As you said, at certain angles it just looks way to big and goofy. Straight on its really good though.

Regarding the grain, did anyone notice that it sometimes just disappears? It seems it's in the hallway shots but there will be grain, then a cut and it's crystal clear out of nowhere.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some good news - inching closer to a sequel? :)

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20130122&ID=16019857&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

quote:

The verdict is in and Lionsgate LGF, a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd, was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.

Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's legendary comic book and released in a stunning 3-D Blu-ray, DREDD adds to Lionsgate's long history of theatrical titles that have overconverted their box office performance on Blu-ray, DVD and digital. Lionsgate continues to lead the industry in DVD-to-box office conversion rates.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would kill to get a Judge helmet but I just know they'll be at least $500. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

US only, blah. :canada:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bummed about the no sequel but at least we have a film of such good quality that it will hopefully explode as a cult-classic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dredd COMIC sequel in the works.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I still like it and it's a well made movie - maybe not as close to the comics as this Dredd but there is room for both.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress Karl Urban needs to get back into this role.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish I had the talent to make such a thing or even just the money to get someone to do it. :smith:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:siren::siren: SEQUEL NEWS :siren::siren:

http://whatculture.com/tv/destination-star-trek-frankfurt-press-conference-report-2.php

quote:

Karl Urban came on last and one of the first questions asked was if there is any chance of a Dredd sequel. In what should be music to fans ears, he said "conversations’’ are taking place between the studio, the director and writer Alex Garland. He commented that the cinema release of Dredd was badly handled but the film had found its audience on DVD and it has been noticed by the studio.

It feels like, inch by inch, SOMETHING is gonna happen theatrically.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These guys: http://www.idwpublishing.com/

They are doing a lot of cool stuff (minus the MLP bullshit - but might as well milk the pedos) and rebooted Dredd recently.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did John Wick make its money back?

Fake Edit: Yeah, more than double on a $20 million budget. Dredd did $18 million on a $50 million budget. And even worldwide didnt get that high either. I thought word got out that the movie was awesome but I guess too many waited for the home release.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, I'm thinkin' it's made it's money back!

Close this thread right here. :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plus the stills released look like poo poo. I was guilty of saying it looked bad as they were in some bare rear end room.

Such a great movie marred by poo poo promotion.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hope the Canadian cut does! haha. Doubt it tho since we just get US anything. I hate knowing I have a lesser version tho because of stupid loving censors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Both movies can be good - dont have to have them ranked.

• Locked thread