Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw this yesterday afternoon and goddamn that was amazing.

Fatkraken posted:

I just assumed there were different rules for minors.

There are, he specifically mentions the Juve-Cubes.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also I found it annoying in the film when we first see Anderson and she is sensing Dredd and the other officer behind the window screen. She starts describing Dredd as cold and hard but then is about to say that he's cute and fuzzy in the inside, but got cut off. Man that was cheesy in a bad way.

I'm got the exact opposite impression, she'd somehow sensed his origin (a big secret!) and that's why the other judge cut her off. If the sequel rumors involving the dark judges ever pan out it would matter that Dredd was created in a lab to be the best judge ever, but the scientist responsible went on to make more clones (the Judda) including Judge Kraken who goes on to be a key player in Necropolis (Comics spoilers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also if that was a normal day for them, I'd hate to know what I bad day would be.

Bad* days in Mega City One:

Block Mania/The Apocalypse War - War! And then MORE WAR!
The Day the Law Died - Chief Judge Cal(igula)'s reign (RIP Aaron A Aardvark)
Necropolis - Dark Judges
Day of Chaos - Most recent arc

*Bad defined as at least 25% of Mega City One residents die horribly. (comics spoiler)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tripwyre posted:

Except there was tons of prime-time advertising for this movie? You couldn't watch a prime-time network sitcom, or a Sunday football game, without seeing an ad for Dredd during nearly every commercial break in the week leading up to release. How much advertising it had in the long lead-up I have no idea, but it was completely unavoidable last week.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but I didn't even know there was a Dredd TV spot until I read your post. Different markets, I guess. The first poster I saw for it was at the theater when I went. I wouldn't have known it was even opening except the guy at the comics store told me about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

How many props usually go up on these auctions? There's no way I could justify dropping big money on a signature prop, but if there's minor stuff that goes cheap(er) I'd be cool with that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dredd was still #1 on Amazon last night when I ordered it. Has there been any talk about even a direct to video sequel? Those are usually awful, but if it goes campy low budget that may be the best treatment for the Cursed Earth and Judge Death. Like Starship Troopers IV or whatever they're up to now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My DVD finally got here, and WOW there are a lot more nods to comics than I realized in theaters. I'm only SIX MINUTES IN and I've already caught:
-One rioter dressed like Kick rear end (They'd frequently parody other comics in crowd scenes)
-A Joe Soap billboard (Eagle's indirectly related to 2000AD)
-DROKK written on a jackets in the van

-THIS:

I mean, the Kickass thing is a little iffy, but yes - that's a dead fat man and his belly wheel.

Also, the announcement to avoid the level one food courts also advises shoppers of alternate refreshment locations. This is a densely packed and lovingly crafted comic book movie, and none of the nerd easter-eggs detract from the film. I saw the Chopper graffiti in the theater, and I thought that was clever, but now I feel like I missed more than I saw.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Watching those scenes again, it's worth noting that Dredd doesn't even crack a smile. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to paint him as a sadist who enjoys this brutality, but the complete lack of it is significant.

"Hotshot" seems like an effort to work the gun's voice command into the negotiation. Instead of High ex our whatever he leaves it on.

The same for "yeah." Any other action hero would have at least smiled or said anything other than that.

moths fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 16, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was no reveling, god drat I'm posting into the wind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Judge Kraken was a Dredd clone that probably had the most mixed results.

...So are we getting that BSS thread or should I start working on one?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Death also spends a lot of time as an incoporeal ghost trying to find a way to break into reality. This would probably be the most "realistic" way to treat him, focusing on someone he's tormenting, using, or possessing. You still get Judge Death, but maybe he's just a manifestation of the guy's psychosis.

Of course the guy would be trying to kill every person in Mega City One because he's complying with the law.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

How did she pass. Loss of primary weapon is automatic failure.

It's never explicitly stated that the lawgiver is her primary weapon. The implication is that the judge's primary weapon is something intangible like judicial bearing, self-control, intimidation, discipline, or something along those lines.

It's also possible Judge Dredd passed her anyway because of "...something else"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

I've started work on the Dredd comics OP. I'll be starting with a bit about Dredd and the basics of the justice system, adding more as it goes along. Is there anything particular anyone would like to know or think should be included?

I'd echo the "Where do I start reading?" advice that's come up in here a few times of Complete Case Files 2 or 3. Also maybe also pointing out some of the shorter (cheaper) trades that are out now (Day the Law Died, Dark Judges, and Cursed Earth Saga) if you don't want to make as steep an investment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

e: Fuuuuck wrong thread

moths fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 23, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They do establish that helmet HUD technology exists, as evidenced by that kid playing a video game. I wonder if we were going to get a Dredd's eye view shot and then they decided against it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone have a link to the right auction? Google keeps directing me to a Dredd prop auction with no items.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, of course it's UK ebay. Thanks guys!

Also I am way underwhelmed by these items. I mean, some of them are cool as hell but way out of my price range - and the rest are just out of my price range for how uninteresting they are.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He was innocent because Dredd wasn't arresting him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You may not have realized this, but Karl Urban (who played Dredd) is also Dr McCoy in the new Star Trek movies. He definitely has some range on top of the talent.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Until they come up with a 3ds style screen with a bigger "sweet spot," home 3d going to be a really tough sell for people who already wear corrective vision glasses.

I completely love the effect, but gently caress wearing glasses on top of my glasses.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh poo poo, I did not know this but am exited to look into it!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm really optimistic about that short. With comics, sometimes less is definitely more. I mean, Dirty Laundry was probably one of the better Punisher movies - and it's not like there's a shortage of quick Dredd vignettes that would be amazing to see on-screen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Vin Diesel as Judge Kraken. The contortionist from Mama as Judge Death. This thing writes itself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jeez, how is music piracy is even a thing when artists only want $75USD extra for a bonus track and a shirt. I'm a massive fan of everyone involved, but that's goofy-stupid.

I bought the album anyway. But not the SUPAR ULTRAFAN LIMITED OK?! edition. gently caress that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The special edition is totally worth people's money. If only for 'Dark Judges' which is an amazing song.

There's no Dark Judges track on either iTunes or Bandcamp. It (and others) are listed on the overpriced one but it's not in the digital version.

I wish I'd realized before I bought it. I'd rather not support a model where they sell an album with tracks missing.

e: grammar

moths fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 17, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You could do a plausible Death story if you focus on the time he spends possesing people, or the suicide cults trying to bring him into the world. A series of apparently unrelated killings, Anderson seeing the skeletal Death himself, or depicting the whole incident as mass psychic phenomenon. I mean, it doesn't have to be a wisecracking lich judge, he could just be a personification of block madness.

Basically a sector goes to bedlam, and the craziest offenders all tell the same story, describing Judge Death and how he made them do it. You could even throw some Candyman in there introducing Judge Death as an urban legend.

It can be done straight without inter-dimensional silliness, and it can be good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you do a Cursed Earth movie, you can do the Judge Child quest. And then have his GRIM PROPHECY relate directly to the Dark Judge incursion (movie 3) instead of how it actually turned out. Although that's way too fan-servicing to actually work.

Judge Death can be done with the same tone as the first if he's presented as both Jungian nightmare and alien superfiend, but never defined concretely as either. Only Psi Judges see him personified, but everybody sees and suffers his influence. Goddamnit, I really want that movie. It would be Judge Dredd vs a more subtle John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't the acknowledged problem that they filmed a bunch of cool scenes with little regard for how they fit together? I seem to remember reading an article to that effect, but it was a long time ago.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

And would get nitpicked to death, as well. The cinema in Peach Trees was showing a film about the Judge Child, so it was fictional or had already happened.

I've been thinking about this, and that poster was brilliant. Now they could film Judge Child however they want, and frame it as an in-universe retelling of Dredd's Cursed Earth adventure. Even if they couldn't get Urban, it would still make internal sense and not break continuity as a work of "fiction" in a fictional universe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

He doesn't learn anything or change at all, which is perfect because he's a giant goofy symbol and that would ruin him.

Some of Dredd's positions have evolved gradually over time, which is great because it calls attention to his ones that haven't.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

It was 17 years since the Stallone film. It's ancient history.

It's adorable that anyone thinks this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The humor wasn't Adam Sandler telegraphed, but if you're taking stuff like the corpse zamboni at face value then I don't know what to tell you man.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There were probably issues with that one scene where the blood spills into the aspect ratio bars.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Rodney Grosskopff is the most Mega City One name that a real-life person can have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was next to no promotion for it, either. I'd been looking forward to Dredd for ages and was surprised to hear it was in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Why don't you take this to the Mad Max thread and make some friends?

• Locked thread