Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My only experiences with Judge Dredd was the SNES game first, and drat was that game long as hell. It follows the plot of the movie but even after that it keeps going and as someone mentioned it includes the Judge Death stuff, so imagine my young self asking, "Who the gently caress are these people and where the hell am I?" I also have the Judge Vs. Death game that came out a little while back. I think it follows the comics more, but I am not sure since I never read them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the movie to see how they make the character play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I'm sorry, this just got passed over. Is this what I think it is?

Now that you bring it up, I can't really unsee it either. I never really noticed it the first time in the trailer.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shanty posted:

e: I guess it could be a warning. Like a Mega-City hobo-sign, "Judges patrol here".

This was my initial conclusion. Something like this isn't a good spot to commit crimes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Do they ever show what the cubes look like in the comics? I have always wondered that ever since I played the Dredd vs. Death game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

This is sort of semi related, but did anyone see the trailer for the RZA movie called "The Man with the Iron Hands?" :stare:

I didn't really know what to think of it, but the way that it looked was reminded me of Sucker Punch for some reason.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I was more annoyed that the actually showed how she dies in the trailer for the movie.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The most cringe worthy part of this movie was the part where Dredd gets shot, and he just says wait. Its so goofy and felt so out of place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So does Judge Dredd have an arch nemesis? The closest one I can think of is Judge Death judging by the video games I have played. One had him as the final boss, the other actually had him in the title. But you really don't hear about any kind of rogues gallery for Dredd, I'm guessing because Dredd just kills them

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Payndz posted:

The iso-cubes look different depending on the artist (just like the Lawmaster bike, H-wagons, the Lawgiver Mk 1, the Judges' helmets... The Lawgiver 2 and the Manta prowl tank are the only things that seem to have a set model). Ron Smith drew them as a blank box containing a bench and nothing else with a (one-way?) glass wall, Carlos Ezquerra's cubes were literal cubes stacked like lockers with a door so low you had to crouch to go through ('Destiny's Angels'), and the more recent ones have 1984-style telescreens constantly spouting computerised rehabilitation programs.

They don't sound pleasant, but they're probably preferable to a US supermax prison. It's one of the rare times when something in Mega-City One is less horrible than its present-day counterpart.

I was just about to say that. In fact, it looks like it is much safer than probably living out in MegaCity one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

People always blame marketing for their favorite thing not selling. I think this was a case where a movie was marketed decently, it was just that no one was interested. It reminds me of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in that aspect.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

As lovely as people think the first movie was, I still love the line where Dredd is telling Rob Schneider's character that he could have jumped out the window. Then Rob says something about it being too high up, and Dredd responds, "True, but it's legal!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NovemberMike posted:

The old movie was weird because the individual scenes often work and there was a lot of effort put into the acting and the visuals, but the scenes don't flow together into an intelligent movie. You can actually find quite a few scenes IIRC that are fitting to the character and well acted.

Yeah, I agree. I was watching a scene earlier where the Judge council is trying to decide what to do about the growing population. It is pretty funny to hear them say to have more executions for lesser crimes to keep the population in check.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I can't get this until payday, which is next friday :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The problem with this poster is that it depicts Dredd as left-handed, he's right-handed. :spergin:

The scales of justice are equally balanced, citizen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

It seems to me to be completely ambiguous - maybe Dredd decided to consider her mind-reading to be her primary weapon, maybe he just decided to break the rules in this case because he believed it was worth it. Personally I hope the former was the intent - isn't Dredd essentially supposed to be a pure tool of the law, and that's his fundamental character? Having him decide to ignore the rules in this case feels a bit like a ham-handed “we need to make the protagonist more likeable" thing. Or is he actually more morally fluid than I've heard?

He already ignored the rules when he decided to stun the kids instead of killing them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

jabby posted:

Yeah that scene kind of ruins it. I tell myself they ran out of the 'good' ammo while Dredd was on the way.

But it does lead to the fantastic line of "40 floors! That would be suicide!" "Maybe, but it's legal."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anderson didn't care at that point what Dredd thought because she had already failed (by losing her weapon )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well, there goes that. Almost Human has been canceled.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/almost-human-cancelled-by-fox?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

• Locked thread