Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean Sarah Conner.
I frequently call her this, because SCC is my favorite thing she's been in, but I feel bad about it because Sarah Connor is Linda Hamilton. Period.

Is there anything I could watch that would make me NOT hate Lena Heady as an actress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

It's never explicitly stated that the lawgiver is her primary weapon. The implication is that the judge's primary weapon is something intangible like judicial bearing, self-control, intimidation, discipline, or something along those lines.

It's also possible Judge Dredd passed her anyway because of "...something else"

It's pretty obvious that Anderson's primary weapon is her mind...

It's almost certainly the reason they used the word "primary" and didn't just say "losing your weapon is an automatic fail".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tripwyre posted:

She says that it is when questioned as to why she lets the tech guy go. "I already failed when..." It's implicit that he decides otherwise in the end, but she does explicitly refer to the lawgiver as her primary weapon.

Yes, because either she doesn't realize that her mind is her primary weapon or she doesn't think that the Judges will recognize that it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It seemed like a bit of a nod to Blade Runner, but also it's one of the "clues" that humanize him. All of the bad guys in the movie are more or less portrayed "as Dredd sees them", but when Anderson is by herself (in fact, every scene where she's by herself) we are shown things that humanize the bad guys. It's one of the neat ways the movie explores the idea that fascist, un-compromising preconceptions about social and criminal problems are like blinders. Dredd sees most things as black and white issues, and that's the way they are shown to the audience when Dredd is on the screen. When Anderson is by herself, things aren't shown as so black and white. The film is tempting us to buy into Dredd's fascism and brutality with conformation bias.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
At the risk of being redundant, I really liked when Dredd threw Ma-Ma's top lieutenant of the balcony. People have talked about how badass it looked, and people have talked about how Dredd killed Ma-Ma the same way she killed the original three guys, but when Dredd kills the lieutenant it's even more parallel. It's a punishment killing, and it's designed to send a message. He could have just shot the guy in the face, but he wanted to show Ma-Ma "This is what happens when you gently caress with methe law." When he does eventually kill Ma-Ma in the same way, he's making good on his threat.

(are we still spoiler tagging stuff in this thread?)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tripwyre posted:

A bullet to the head is painless? Really?

If it's through the brain, I would imagine so. Through the jaw/cheek, no so much...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just like that, in stereotypical movie fashion, there were was a female bad Judge sent to fight the female good judge, but then they totally subverted the expectation of a cat fight with Anderson shooting and killing her immediately.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

How powerful are most telepaths in the Dredd setting? It seems that Kay didn't realize just how powerful Anderson was.

Well, going just from what they say in the movie:

1) they straight up say that Anderson is the most powerful telepath they have ever seen, it's why she's in the Judge program at all....
2) Because telepaths are selected by the Hall of Justice for their unique powers AND we know there hasn't been a Judge in Peach Trees in a long time, it's unlikely that average people have any contact with telepaths above a certain power threshold.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

In the comics, Anderson is pretty much the only one you ever see. There is a dedicated Psi Division, but they're not heavily portrayed. Anderson is powerful, as the Dark Judge storylines show, but the movie version is probably more on a level of the standard Psi Division Judge.

And Snak is correct with his observation - normal Judges are rarely seen in Peachtree, so that would make a Psi Judge even more rare. There is a pretty heavily anti-mutant sentiment in Mega-City one anyway, so anyone with a psychic gift would likely keep it hidden (and possibly become a gateway for the Dark Judges.)

Just like the self-destructing Lawgiver, just because something is an established part of the Judge Dredd universe, that doesn't mean that every person in that universe is aware of it. It's easy to say "A criminal should know that only a Judge can fire their lawgiver, everyone knows that" but really we only know that because it comes up several times in Judge Dredd stories. We know it because we are privvy to the stories, but the average thug in Mega-City 1 isn't. The number of witnesses to such things are also probably limited because they're either dead or in the iso-cubes.

Kay thinks he hot poo poo because he's given some thought to how to mess with a psychic's head, but like the audience he didn't expect a strong female character. Guys like him are used to threats of sexual violence being very effective, because they're very scary. He, like the audience, didn't count on Anderson being just as tough as a male character in this situation. It's one of the reason's I like that even though they hint at something Anderson is afraid of that Kay could use against her, it's never revealed. For one thing, this leaves it up to our imagination, and considering what the movie doesn't leave to our imagination, whatever we come up with in our head is going to be pretty bad. Almost more importantly, it doesn't give people an easy "There's her woman-weakness" moment. Almost no matter what they put there as her fear, some people would read it as related to her gender, simply because it's in contrast to Dredd who has now fear. It could be fear of being alone, it could be fear of death, it could be fear of reading her own mind it could be literally anything, and people would say "Anderson brings the feminine element to being a judge, with both it's strengths and it's weaknesses and blah blah blah" or they would say "The writers of this film apparently think it's important to imply that women police officers have a weakness that their male counter-parts don't and blah blah blah"

I think the gender-politics of this film are much stronger than they appear on the surface, and that's still a rarity, even in todays "progressive" atmosphere. By not showing what her fear is, and explicitly telling us that it's NOT rape, it takes away a lot of ammunition that critics would use but in a way that doesn't weaken the film. Lots of films try to "play it safe" and the film suffers as a result, this film "plays it safe" in a way that is also a genuinely good storytelling technique.

edit: Also, while Anderson is a female Judge, and she shows more empathy than her male counter-part, this is almost entirely because she's a psychic and not because she's a woman. There are any number of cinematic partnerships where a female character teams up with a male character and lends "a woman's touch" with similar results as in this film, except in all of those films they don't have psychic powers, it's just because they're a woman.

I'm not saying that this film gets gender-politics right, but it definitely offers some things to think about.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 22, 2013

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I thought Robocop was inspired by Jesus.

...now I really want to see Paul Verhoeven's "Passion of the Christ"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

I hope we get the proper Judges uniform in the sequel (if it ever happens). Even if it is too corny for the screen, it would work as some sort of Judges dress uniform.

That would be pretty sweet. Even if there was just like, a statue of a Judge that was in comics-style attire that would be awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Now when they say "of the year," do they mean "of the past three weeks?"

Undoubtedly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Yeah it was hilarious recognizing the same sets and infantry body armor in the Firefly movie.

I didn't see them used in Serenity, but they were used in the episode "The Train Job"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

He was innocent because Dredd wasn't arresting him.

yeah, isn't it true that Dredd doesn't care if the victims of other crimes are criminals? It could still be manslaughter. Dredd would prosecute the jaywalker also if he was still alive. "innocent" is a very strange word choice, but I thought it referred to people who got hit by stray gunfire. I really need to watch this again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, Groundhog Day was a good movie

Yeah, I'm not really sure how "Inexplicable time loops" is remotely comparable to slow motion. Slow motion is a stylistic, cinematic effect that has recently been overused quite a bit in action films. "Time loops" are a narative device that has been used maybe a dozen times as method of exploring characters and their stories. It's not like there are films that are normal genre films EXCEPT they overuse time loops during certain scenes... And there are almost no films that use slow motion as a narrative device.

Furthermore, every I have enjoyed every inexplicable time loop story I have seen. Daybreak was a particularly well executed example.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that Punisher: War Zone is the cinematic equivalent to the architectural brutalism movement... Not everyone is going to like it, but it is purposely the way it is. And not in some lovely "trolling the audience, supposed to be bad" sort of way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
plus, if you report a crime in MC1, you're doing it knowing that if the person is actually caught by a judge they will face years in the isocubes or be killed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm so happy that Karl Urban is doing a tv show where he is a future cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwxg534yAw

Yes, but it's on Fox, so it will be canceled by the end of the first season...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

What, really? I was just thinking how light on effects they can make it. You're never going to see Urban's roboleg in "action" (and it looks like he's wearing one grey legging anyway) and his robot partner just looks like a regular dude, even on the assembly line.

But compared to any non-scifi show, it's and extra expense every episode. Anytime they have to show a CGI skyline they either have to reuse footage or spend more money. If it goes the super procedural route, like CSI, they might be able to pull it off, because you save a bunch of money by having 95% of scenes take place on the same set. Combine this with Fox, the geniuses who think that shows need to be action and special-effects heavy to get viewers, and you have a recipe for "this show was not an amazing hit and cost too much money" within half a season.

For example, Joss Whedon's Dollhouse was scifi but had a premise that kept the show very light on special effects. Fox made them add a motorcycle chase to the pilot. That's just one example I know of, but that's a huge chunk of money, that, contrary to Fox exec's opinions probably didn't have any effect on viewership or ratings. Whether the show was poo poo is irrelevent when Fox thinks that viewership and ratings are purely a result of putting money on the screen. See also Terra Nova, a show about people from the future trying to survive in dinosaur times, which cost FOUR MILLION DOLLARS PER EPISODE but was horribly stupid/generic and uninteresting.

The problem is that scifi,in general, appeals to people who enjoy "what if?" type ideas, while many executives, not just at Fox, think that it appeals to people who like special effects. This actually a made up demographic that does not exist. When you spend a bunch of money on special effects and leave the story and characters bare-bones and mediocre, you bore everyone.

Successful scifi shows often have built-in ways to mitigate the costs of showing scifi concepts on screen AND decent to well-written characters WITH GOOD CHEMISTY. Stargate SG-1 and X-Files, which are the two longest running scifi shows ever, both suffer from tromping through the same forests outside of vancouver for 10 seasons, but it isn't a big deal because the quality of the stories and characters makes up for it.

All of that said, Almost Human reminds me of my favorite scifi cop show Total Recall 2070, in that it has an almost identical premise. I can't wait.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I think you're underestimating the extensive use of green screened sets on tv and over estimating the cost. To use your own example, any time they're outside in CSI New York or Law and Order there's extensive green screening used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

Also note all the usual tricks are used to keep the action scenes shown in the trailer inexpensive: Only two or three people actually on screen at once so they don't have to make as many costumes, lots of "let's move away from or talk about that huge battle instead of showing it," etc. I mean yeah obviously there's a bigger budget to initially make all the fancy pants outfits, future technology stuff, etc. but it's definitely doable.

Other than that though, agreed, this looks awesome.

I never said that non scifi shows don't have a lot of S/VFX, and I am aware of how much green screening is used. The issue is that a scifi show often has significantly more art assets and VFX in addition to all the ones they would normally have. With few exceptions, scifi is always more expensive because it require more original art assets and sometimes more makeup.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

Anderson grew up in a slum too and drew a different lesson.

Yes, but she was born with special abilities that give her a huge advantage. You could say that MaMa was born with the capacity for ruthlessness, and that allowed her to survive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

I think Robocop was inspired by Dredd.

Even if it the character of Robocop wasn't inspired by Dredd, both are thematically similar. They are both satirical commentaries on society through the lens of law enforcement, and both us a dystopian setting for added contrast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that they are both satirizing a lot of the same things in similar ways, which means there is going to be a lot of overlap. Some of that overlap may be a direct result of inspiration, but not all of it is necessarily, i.e. just because Robocop was inspired by Judge Dredd, not all similarities are homages...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people have trouble when something is multiple "things" at once. Dredd IS a complete and utter badass, but he is also a caricature. They are not exclusive. A lot of people want to pick a side and call the other side wrong, and, surprisingly enough, interpretation of art does not often work that way...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I keep coming back to the forums because I'm stalling on my huge coding homework assignment. I just came back to read the new post in this thread while I was trying to pick music to listen to while coding. Duh, Dredd soundtrack...

fake edit: I apparently never clicked post. But 3 hours later, my homework is done.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched this on netflix, having only seen it once before on DVD. It is even better than I remember. I can also confirm that the Netflix cut is cropped a little narrower.

I found it interesting that, despite the claim that losing your primary weapon is an automatic fail, Dredd's retention of his weapon did not save him; He ran out of ammo and would have died if Anderson had not come to save him. It feels like a very clear illustration that the law alone, no matter how well enforced, has practical limitations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of took it as he was making sure she was letting him go for the "right" reason. She let him go because he was a victim, not because she was going easy on a criminal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Punisher: War Zone is loving amazing. All of that over-the-top, teenage-testorone-fueled "gritty brutality" that permeates the concept of The Punisher is captured beautifully in this film.

If the opening scene of the movie doesn't sell you on the film, I don't know what to say...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Except Michael Jai White is a badass and has charisma... Katee Sackhoff just happened to exactly fit the character she played in BSG. Everything else I've seen her in, she's been... mediocre.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone say "Rip and tear!" in the movie?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I just imagined Karl Urban's Doctor McCoy...

"He's got HUGE GUTS, Jim! You've got to RIP and TEAR his GUTS! Don't look at me, I'm a Doctor not a Rototiller!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

This movie is never coming to a streaming service or HBO/Showtime/etc is it?

Still wanna see this.

It was on Netflix for a long time... (in the USA at least)

edit: canistreamit lists it as being available for rental on itunes, google play, youtube, vudu, and sony something or other.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

Welp, apparently it's in every modern movie but I've never noticed it as a negative.

as far as I know, people hate it because it's common. It's common because it's a good style. Like anything, it can be done poorly. Fury Road is great and it's visual style is not in any way a negative.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The Keanu factor was the decider on that one. I don't know the numbers but John Wick was in every Red Box and at the counter of every grocery store and all that. It had a lot more exposure.

Also, while Dredd is a great film, John Wick is a loving amazing popcorn action movie. John Wick is "turn your brain off" in the sense that they spend the first 20 minutes of the film exactly laying out the character's motivation and backstory so that you can just watch him shoot people for the entire rest of the movie. It's not surprising that it's pretty popular, simply because it's impossibly to be confused by it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Water it's blue because water absorbs all other colours except blue so that's what's reflected. Not the reflection of the sky, that's just moronic.

Not as moronic as the sky being blue because it's reflecting the oceans... where did that even start? I've heard it from so many people and I can't imagine who is teaching people this. It's probably our schools, to be honest...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just think it's half-remembered to be honest.

Half-remembered from where? There is no relation between the sky being blue and the ocean being blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People just hear "refraction" and its a short leap I guess.

I doubt most of the people who think the sky is blue because it's reflecting the oceans know what refraction is. I get what you're saying, and for the small subset of people that are thinking up this explanation based on half-remembered things they learned, you might be right. I'm talking about people who straight-up think that the sky is reflecting the oceans, that's why it's blue. Out here in podunk missouri/illinois, I've encountered a bunch of people that think this. Someone is teaching it to them.

• Locked thread