Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bilirubin posted:

so no then

I mean my life is mostly trivialities but when I get a call I need for it not to drop out. Thanks for the heads up

check out public mobile:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#ALL

i have a referral code but i recommend it regardless. the service runs on telus and when using 3G/LTE they share a network with bell. anyway the service has been great. vast difference to freedom. prices are cheap even when there isn't a sale, and they do have us plans. more expensive than freedom yes but you get what you're rated for most of the time ime. downside is that support is online only and mostly via forum. but that's fine for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

mediaphage posted:

check out public mobile:

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#ALL

i have a referral code but i recommend it regardless. the service runs on telus and when using 3G/LTE they share a network with bell. anyway the service has been great. vast difference to freedom. prices are cheap even when there isn't a sale, and they do have us plans. more expensive than freedom yes but you get what you're rated for most of the time ime. downside is that support is online only and mostly via forum. but that's fine for me

I recently switched to them and very happy. Note that some of their plans are listed at "4G Speeds", but which apparently seem to use 5G according to my phone's indicator, so they just limit the speed not the tech. If that matters.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I went back to Telus last year on black friday and have worse coverage then I did on Freedom, the 5G network is garbage and my signal strength is always 1 bar. Shaw put up a ton of towers when they took over freedom a few years ago and I found coverage great in the city. It totally depends where you live.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hot date tonight! posted:

I went back to Telus last year on black friday and have worse coverage then I did on Freedom, the 5G network is garbage and my signal strength is always 1 bar. Shaw put up a ton of towers when they took over freedom a few years ago and I found coverage great in the city. It totally depends where you live.

I’m on Telus too and I find the coverage to be absolute poo poo outside of the city centre (I’m in the Tri-Cities area in the lower mainland). Seriously thinking of jumping to rogers even though I hate them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Serotoning posted:

I recently switched to them and very happy. Note that some of their plans are listed at "4G Speeds", but which apparently seem to use 5G according to my phone's indicator, so they just limit the speed not the tech. If that matters.

yeah i finally upgraded from my 2016 pm plan this past black friday lol. i haven't noticed a difference despite my plan being upgraded to whatever speeds they push for lte. iow i don't think it matters much

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Serotoning posted:

They did the same thing with using LTE networks with "3G speeds". It's just throttling but connecting using Telus' current backbone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s worth pointing out that all that stuff was still lte tho just slowed down so you got all the other improvements like latency etc

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Public mobile has 50GB for $35/month when on a 90-day plan, which in practice ends up as pooled 150GB/90 days. Plan is at 5G speeds.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

spoof posted:

Public mobile has 50GB for $35/month when on a 90-day plan, which in practice ends up as pooled 150GB/90 days. Plan is at 5G speeds.

how do those subscriptions work? Folks happy with their Public connectivity?

See this to me is a reasonable compromise between data and price. $55 for 90 gigs seems great but I barely scratch my 11 each month so, why just go for more? As an experiment I tried streaming spotify in my car (now that I have one with bluetooth) and that used vanishingly little data.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 4, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

huh, Rogers is willing to go 75 gigs on the 5G system for $50 since I already have shawgers internet and tv. That's very tempting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bilirubin posted:

See this to me is a reasonable compromise between data and price. $55 for 90 gigs seems great but I barely scratch my 11 each month so, why just go for more? As an experiment I tried streaming spotify in my car (now that I have one with bluetooth) and that used vanishingly little data.

1.) I've been quite happy since switching in 2016. Service is good for basically anywhere that isn't a Loblaws Faraday cage of a supermarket.

2.) Why go for more?
- YouTube on the bus/at work,
- not caring about my cap if I'm uploading photos to the cloud or a video to YouTube/discord,
- streaming at the laundromat
- using the higher quality bitrates for music/video

Basically the ability to stream/upload video anywhere outside the home without worrying about going over

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

huh, Rogers is willing to go 75 gigs on the 5G system for $50 since I already have shawgers internet and tv. That's very tempting.

lol and will offer a 100 Gig Infinite plan for $50/month by switching over from Fido. The infinite runs at up to 1gig vs that 75 gig plan that is throttled at 250 MB.

Fido also has 50 Gig for $45 but that public plan beats it fairly clearly

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bilirubin posted:

Public Mobile is now a Telus company and uses their bandwidth, so their connectivity is going to be the same as Telus wherever you are.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) I've been quite happy since switching in 2016. Service is good for basically anywhere that isn't a Loblaws Faraday cage of a supermarket.

2.) Why go for more?
- YouTube on the bus/at work,
- not caring about my cap if I'm uploading photos to the cloud or a video to YouTube/discord,
- streaming at the laundromat
- using the higher quality bitrates for music/video

Basically the ability to stream/upload video anywhere outside the home without worrying about going over

Yeah I hadn't thought about the bitrate issue with music. The one thing my Spotify experiment showed was the quality of music was a bit off (although their ads were nice and clear lol)

Hmm.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah public mobile connectivity feels like a Real Provider vs wind/freedom

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

do you all have thoughts on 5G speeds of 250 MB vs 1 Gig? Or is this like the old argument of "any framerate over 60/sec is wasted since that's all your eye can perceive"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bilirubin posted:

I switched to Public this past Black Friday and I've been pretty happy with them. My previous providers have been Rogers, Fido, Koodo and Virgin in that order and they're pretty comparable to those.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

do you all have thoughts on 5G speeds of 250 MB vs 1 Gig? Or is this like the old argument of "any framerate over 60/sec is wasted since that's all your eye can perceive"

I can't torrent on my iPhone, so i neither need nor care about higher speeds.

However, I'm not the target audience for those speeds in the first place; i don't record video and audio with an immediate need to send it toa studio/editor/director, or do media editing/CAD work on an iPad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

i think you have to decide for yourself if that's a use case you need. do you have critical work you're using this for (probably not if you're looking at pm)? if not, i personally don't think it's a big deal. even with big buckets how often are you going to be downloading massive massive files on your personal phone? i know some android users do but i really think it's a niche case

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mediaphage posted:

i think you have to decide for yourself if that's a use case you need. do you have critical work you're using this for (probably not if you're looking at pm)? if not, i personally don't think it's a big deal. even with big buckets how often are you going to be downloading massive massive files on your personal phone? i know some android users do but i really think it's a niche case

Thanks you two. Whereas I can see instances where I *might* need to download or upload massive files at speed white tethering a laptop, realistically that will be done while wired or on wifi.

I appreciate the threads input on this decision, you have helped me save a few bucks and get much more from my phone!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like the iPhone 6/7 battery class action was approved here too, so once the details come out you can get some money for those 3 years from now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't figure out what the hell Bell is doing with voicemail on my iPhone plan. I'm not paying for VVM but now I have some transcribed spam when I click on the VM icon. And I see a list of mails? But when I click on them it makes me call VM? So like.. What do I have? I'm not paying them money but they're transcribing and showing me a list for free now?

It's so confusing that I just ignore my VM altogether. I mean, as any sane human being ought to.

mewse
May 2, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

I can't figure out what the hell Bell is doing with voicemail on my iPhone plan. I'm not paying for VVM but now I have some transcribed spam when I click on the VM icon. And I see a list of mails? But when I click on them it makes me call VM? So like.. What do I have? I'm not paying them money but they're transcribing and showing me a list for free now?

It's so confusing that I just ignore my VM altogether. I mean, as any sane human being ought to.

Apple added some kinda AI transcription to iOS so that we aren't dependent on the carriers to sell us visual voicemail anymore. It's still the same old voicemail system, iOS is just transparently calling it in the background and transcribing it for us.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The old system is still there, but the built in transcription intercepts it now if your phone is on and has a signal. If not you get it the old way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh OK thanks. That makes sense. I guess it's tied into their VM system despite me not paying for fancy VVM because i'm not sure how it would get the content of the mail, but I'm content not thinking about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

i'm not sure how it would get the content of the mail

mewse posted:

iOS is just transparently calling it in the background

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wait so if I check my call logs or carrier call logs it will show a call to VM which the phone transcribes?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hopefully VisionPro gives us the option to fly away from the voicemail at great speed across a California landscape or shoot it down from the sky before it has a chance to transcribe.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wait so if I check my call logs or carrier call logs it will show a call to VM which the phone transcribes?

Does it show up in the logs when you call voicemail manually? If so then probably

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh pff. But how does it know my password is 1234?? Explain THAT

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I don't think it's actually calling in, because it's quicker than that and doesn't have your password. I think the phone just doesn't send the call to carrier voicemail if it receives it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I don't think it's actually calling in, because it's quicker than that and doesn't have your password. I think the phone just doesn't send the call to carrier voicemail if it receives it.

I was wrong and you are right. It's the phone intercepting the call before it goes to carrier voicemail. Here's an article describing the feature:

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-ios-17s-live-voicemail-feature-your-iphone-everything-you-need-know-0385411/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So my password is safe!

Joking aside, thanks everyone.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks you two. Whereas I can see instances where I *might* need to download or upload massive files at speed white tethering a laptop, realistically that will be done while wired or on wifi.

I appreciate the threads input on this decision, you have helped me save a few bucks and get much more from my phone!

fwiw, I've decided to go with a deal with Rogers through a preferred program work has with them, with 100 Gigs data at 5G, unlimited thereafter, unlimited talk and text to Canada and US, international texts too, US roaming included as well. That alone will save $12/day when traveling in the US, and with my family still in the States that will save a fair bit on those calls. All this for a couple bucks a month less than what I am currently paying on Fido for 11 Gigs on a (theoretically at least) slower network, so I think is an improvement in what I am getting for what I am paying. I hate giving Rogers money but I was already giving Rogers money, and there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

I appreciated all the recommendations for Public but there were a lot of concerns online about connectivity while roaming, and whereas I don't travel as much as I did pre COVID, when I do I need connection. But if those reviews were from the pre Telus times then perhaps I'll reconsider down the road since I won't be on a contract.

(They really wanted me to upgrade my pixel since the new ones don't need a SIM card but my 4 5G is still working like a champ.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nice glad you found something that fit your needs!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Freedom today offering me a targeted $29 50gig 5G unlimited Canada/US plan with no connection fee where the rate “will never go up”. Hopefully this is the features and price point that Fido and Virgin and Koodo will use when they next choose to compete on a random holiday weekend.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

the rate “will never go up”.

Did it have one of those qualifier footnote numbers next to it? :v:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

‡ Price Freeze Promise is our guarantee that the price of a wireless rate plan (prior to any discounts or credits) that any customer subscribes to and maintains will never incur a price increase. This guarantee is in effect as of April 3, 2023, and applies to all wireless rate plans that were available, are available, and will be available to our current and future customers. The Price Freeze Promise only covers the wireless rate plan price itself, and not any other charges or fees, such as taxes, levies, pay-per-use charges, one-time passes, add-ons, device financing charges (such as MyTab and TradeUp charges), or any other additional charges/fees.

Seems to be on the up and up so far as one would foolishly trust Videotron's governing Péladeau family.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Looks like i'm foolish AF. Back on Wind/Freedom and the greater Quebcor keiretsu of diverse legitimate business interests ranging from Toujours Mikes frozen pizza to Roch Voisine's back catalog.

I will have regular trip reports on Freedom network life and will try to hang on to this $29 plan so long that PK himself travels to upper canada to wrest my Xphone XR from my warm, loving hands.

edit: my god, you really know you are back on Freedom Mobile when you start getting two-factor SMS where the goddamn code isn't visible in the message preview popup on IOS because they have to spell out "Freedom Mobile" twice before showing you the code. They still havent fixed this yet?

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Looks like i'm foolish AF. Back on Wind/Freedom and the greater Quebcor keiretsu of diverse legitimate business interests ranging from Toujours Mikes frozen pizza to Roch Voisine's back catalog.

I will have regular trip reports on Freedom network life and will try to hang on to this $29 plan so long that PK himself travels to upper canada to wrest my Xphone XR from my warm, loving hands.

edit: my god, you really know you are back on Freedom Mobile when you start getting two-factor SMS where the goddamn code isn't visible in the message preview popup on IOS because they have to spell out "Freedom Mobile" twice before showing you the code. They still havent fixed this yet?

lmao this post definitely made me feel like i resubscribed. so glad i got my dumb public mobile plan