Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Teluses winback offer is higher prices for data I don't need. Its a data-bacchanal for "five gee plus" that you'd have to be a one of those life-vlogger tourist scums to ever come close to using.

canada only 50$, $-10 for 24months, 150gb
connection fee of $60 waived

can/us roaming 60$, $-10 for 24 months for 150gb
connection fee of $60 waived

Thanks but no thanks, I'm keeping my ARPU in the basement forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Canadian Cellular: 5G? - you'd have to be a one of those life-vlogger tourist scums

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Took Fido up on an offer for a $19.23 per month new iPhone 14 Plus 128 gb if I’d upgrade my kid’s account to 90gb of data for $45 a month on 2 year contract. Also got 3 tacky cases via Amazon warehouse deals for $10 in case anyone else is sick of the all-morning battery on their iPhone XR

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Telus is sending me loyalty offers that are better than what I’m paying except I would lose the us roaming. I don’t go there often but maybe a week here and there for work and I liked not having to think about it. Although when I got this plan my previous co paid part of my plan.

Anyway the only can us plan they have on the loyalty is 150gb which is more than I need at $105. Sucks.

Also do I still need visual voicemail from the carrier or does iPhone just do it on the phone now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
vv is still carter supported

i get not having to think about it but it’s a lot easier these days because you can just pick up an esim

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

priznat posted:

Also do I still need visual voicemail from the carrier or does iPhone just do it on the phone now?

The iPhone will do it if it's on, and has a signal.

Last time I got a call and hit the power button to silence it instead of taking it, that also went to regular carrier voicemail instead of iPhone transcription. I've only done that the one time since the feature came out though so I don't know if it's supposed to work that way or just decided not to that one time.

So I guess it depends on if you really, really want visual voicemail 100% of the time or not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

priznat posted:

Telus is sending me loyalty offers that are better than what I’m paying except I would lose the us roaming. I don’t go there often but maybe a week here and there for work and I liked not having to think about it. Although when I got this plan my previous co paid part of my plan.

Anyway the only can us plan they have on the loyalty is 150gb which is more than I need at $105. Sucks.

Check PM they have decent deals now that include for us roaming. $34 for 50gb CAN/US data/voice/text

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The iPhone will do it if it's on, and has a signal.

Last time I got a call and hit the power button to silence it instead of taking it, that also went to regular carrier voicemail instead of iPhone transcription. I've only done that the one time since the feature came out though so I don't know if it's supposed to work that way or just decided not to that one time.

So I guess it depends on if you really, really want visual voicemail 100% of the time or not.

i use public mobile and my iphone doesn't do anything new except put a super annoying voicemail icon on the upper left that just calls my voicemail if i tap it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do you have Live Voicemail on in the Phone app settings? It's carrier independent.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Do you have Live Voicemail on in the Phone app settings? It's carrier independent.

yup

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Check PM they have decent deals now that include for us roaming. $34 for 50gb CAN/US data/voice/text

Oh poo poo, thanks for this. I'm on the $34 40GB plan, so +10GB and US data roaming for the same price.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks for this. I'm on the $34 40GB plan, so +10GB and US data roaming for the same price.

I'm looking at the two plans in the app (I'm on the $34 40GB plan as well) - current plan says unlimited data at a reduced speed after 40GB, do we lose that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i use public mobile and my iphone doesn't do anything new except put a super annoying voicemail icon on the upper left that just calls my voicemail if i tap it

I love this feature. Never have to use my six digit pin anymore, and it transcribes it too, so i don't actually have to listen to it, either.

:iia:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Dillbag posted:

Isn’t it only for new accounts? I tried to switch and it only offers me that plan for $40.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I love this feature. Never have to use my six digit pin anymore, and it transcribes it too, so i don't actually have to listen to it, either.

:iia:

i hate voicemail and haven’t paid attention to it in years so theoretically i’d use this feature but it is absolutely not doing anything on my phone lol

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2024

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Isn’t it only for new accounts? I tried to switch and it only offers me that plan for $40.

On my wife's iPhone, we had to open and close the app a couple times before it showed up. Maybe try the web site?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ChronoReverse posted:

On my wife's iPhone, we had to open and close the app a couple times before it showed up. Maybe try the web site?

That did it, was able to switch. Cheers!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bless your heart Fido for emailing me that it will take "4+ weeks" to send me an iphone 14 plus. What kind of lovely distributor are you going through to save a few pennies. Literally the CEO of Fido is waiting in his car outside of a Best Buy in Orillia for when his buddy who works there can intercept customer device returns and re-shrink them before letting them slip out the back door for a few hundo each and a mickey of schnapps.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I mean it is Fido

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I mean it is a Canadian telco

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Knight posted:

I mean it is Fido

So it's a dog that takes a month to play fetch.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

Huh, I just checked and they made this available for existing customers yesterday (probably too many people nagging that it was new customers only previously).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

little earlier than that as i changed a couple days ago but yeah they weirdly do seem to respond to public outcries lol

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Virgin mobile sucks at this winback thing that is very hip right now.

quote:

Reunite with us and get unlimited nationwide 5G data for
$40/MO with 60GB 5G data (up to 250Mbps).
*After a credit of $20/MO for 24 months. Current price: $60/MO. Prices may increase during subscription. Reduced speeds of up to 256Kbps.

$30 is the new $40 Virg, and anti-price increase disclaimers are the new hotness. Pathetic.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm changing my Public plan every 5 months now it seems (and I'm loving it!)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Scudworth posted:

So I'm changing my Public plan every 5 months now it seems (and I'm loving it!)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The only negative is there's no roaming outside Canada/US at all, so you just can't get 2FA texts/voicemail etc, as far as I can tell.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Huh, I just checked and they made this available for existing customers yesterday (probably too many people nagging that it was new customers only previously).
Hell, I'm going to get in on this too.

e: Is there a difference between change now or change on renewal as in fees? Assuming you change to a lower rate, why wouldn't you want to change now?

Precambrian Video Games posted:

The only negative is there's no roaming outside Canada/US at all, so you just can't get 2FA texts/voicemail etc, as far as I can tell.
Does suck, but the odd time I go out of North America and need my phone, I'll just buy a cheapo local SIM.

I wish public did wifi calling though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 3, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hell, I'm going to get in on this too.

e: Is there a difference between change now or change on renewal as in fees? Assuming you change to a lower rate, why wouldn't you want to change now?

Does suck, but the odd time I go out of North America and need my phone, I'll just buy a cheapo local SIM.

I wish public did wifi calling though.

on PM? you lose whatever you paid for the month. unless you desperately need the data there's no real reason not to just change on renewal

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK makes sense thanks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

Koodo Price Increase Coming for $29 Black Friday Plan

Last fall, Telus-owned Koodo debuted some Black Friday plans alongside its rivals, including a $29 per month plan with 30GB of data.

Four months later, Koodo has notified customers of a price increase already on this $29 plan, according to info obtained by iPhone in Canada. Koodo noted an update on customer billing statements, noting beginning in April 2024, the price increase will go from $29 to $35 per month (a 21% increase).

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2024/03/05/koodo-price-increase-29-black-friday-plan/

Lol @ Koodoo (I remember how they used to pronounce it), not being able to take that lower ARPU heat and getting its rear end out the kitchen. Quite happy with Freedom's lifetime price guarantee now. Its the very first thing you hear about after "hello" when you call their numbers. Looking forward to next black friday's big three deals having a lifespan measured in weeks not months.

edit: wait that's not all of today's good news excreted by Telus:

quote:

Public Mobile forcing all users off old Rewards program, loyalty and autopay credits gone May 2024

Effectively a $7 increase for long-time users, $5 loyalty + $2 autopay. And Public's non-expiring data addons have been discontinued.

double lol. what a terd of a carrier.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 7, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh yuck that's $7 more on my bill each month I guess.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Public Mobile forcing all users off old Rewards program, loyalty and autopay credits gone May 2024

Effectively a $7 increase for long-time users, $5 loyalty + $2 autopay. And Public's non-expiring data addons have been discontinued.

:(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Their customers clearly know a poo poo deal when they see it; wouldn't surprise me if the number of people using the old system was the majority

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lmaooooo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao i wondered why they sent out a message with free 240gb of data over the next 150 days

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that’s a 20% increase in my phone plan

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Canadian Cellular: Only losing $6/mo in 5 months is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mediaphage posted:

that’s a 20% increase in my phone plan
or is it 20% less you're stealing right out of the poor telecom's pocket?