Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I asked about the Rogers upgrade policy a few weeks ago, and the similarity to Quebec's early termination law.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the fees be exactly the same (in Quebec)?

(Phone subsidy/36)*Remaining months right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Aphrodite posted:

I asked about the Rogers upgrade policy a few weeks ago, and the similarity to Quebec's early termination law.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the fees be exactly the same (in Quebec)?

(Phone subsidy/36)*Remaining months right?

Correct.

Except if you signed your contract before Jan 26 or so 2012, they calculate the early upgrade fee as $13 (for smartphones) per month remaining on the term.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jwoven posted:

Yeah, I can get by just fine on 50 minutes, but gently caress

Looks like if I go with the 150 minute voice, it comes with unlimited text messaging, as well as caller ID and voicemail. Toss in the 2gb data, and it's at a mere $70.

Promo plan has 200 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 1gb data (the data flex) for $65.

Right now, I'm paying $40 for 50 minutes, unlimited text messaging, caller ID, voice mail, and 100mb data.

I'd love to go on Wind or Mobilicity (my sister is only paying $25 for unlimited everything) and they even have decent coverage in my area, but I don't want an android phone.

:smith:

Man I waited like 3 years for an AWS iPhone and every year the big rumor was that it would finally arrive. Never happened, just give up :(

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
T-Mobile (the U.S. AWS carrier) is spending money converting their network over to frequencies the iPhone does support, so I wouldn't count on one this year either :(

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Welp, $12B class action suit over system access fees incoming.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1218520--supreme-court-oks-19-billion-cellphone-suit-over-system-access-fees

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Get ready for monthly plan hikes from the Big Three to cover damages and lawyer fees regulatory changes!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

DarkJC posted:

T-Mobile (the U.S. AWS carrier) is spending money converting their network over to frequencies the iPhone does support, so I wouldn't count on one this year either :(

This is pretty much the death of any hopes of an AWS iPhone. The only hope that Wind/Mobilicity have of getting an iPhone is to pick up enough LTE spectrum at the next auction and hope that there is an LTE iPhone sometime. As I recall the government was standing in the way of letting them get a bunch of spectrum so yeah. I hope you enjoy working with your corporate overlords.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Get ready for monthly plan hikes from the Big Three to cover damages and lawyer fees regulatory changes!

The companies that dropped the fee (*cough* Telus *cough*) just removed caller ID from all their packages and started charging 7 bucks for it (see thread's title).

The fee hasn't really "gone" anywhere, they just repositioned it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If anything Rogers' new fee name is even more misleading than the "System Access Fee".

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Oh, and this is the point where we once again observe that Caller ID is an intrinsic part of a cellular signal, and it actually costs more for cellular companies to strip it out.

(Not a whole lot more, mind you, but still.)

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
8 dollar caller-ID is why I left Telus for Wind. That's just not right.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Stuntman Mike posted:

8 dollar caller-ID is why I left Telus for Wind. That's just not right.

They include it in all their plans now

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I have a flip phone through Koodoo with an awesome tip calculator and it's all I've ever used. But with the Galaxy S3 finally coming out I plan on picking it up on either a contract or some sort of tab.

I'm interested in Wind but I've been informed that if I go through Wind, I'd only get the S3 model with 3G capability.... I'm not sure if I need more than 3G capability? Hell I barely know what 3G and 4G LTE is.

I'm pretty much local to Calgary 95% of the time, but if I do travel I wouldn't mind being able to take the phone without having to fear about some massive roaming/data charge on my bill... if I went with Wind, can someone give me an idea how bad the Rogers roaming charges would be?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Misanthrope posted:

I'm pretty much local to Calgary 95% of the time, but if I do travel I wouldn't mind being able to take the phone without having to fear about some massive roaming/data charge on my bill... if I went with Wind, can someone give me an idea how bad the Rogers roaming charges would be?

Are you on a Koodo long distance-included plan?

WIND's roaming rates are basically equal/lower than basic overage/long distance rates from the big three.

20c/min voice
15c/msg text
$1/mb data

If you set your phone to disable data roaming, the amount you save on WIND easily surpasses the few roaming calls/texts you send. I'm paying $40 instead of $80 now, and do like $1/mo roaming in Vancouver.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Misanthrope posted:

I'm interested in Wind but I've been informed that if I go through Wind, I'd only get the S3 model with 3G capability.... I'm not sure if I need more than 3G capability? Hell I barely know what 3G and 4G LTE is.

LTE and 3G refers to the speed of the internet on your phone. LTE is faster than 3G but 3G isn't awful. LTE I think goes up to 150mb/s (can't remember exactly). The phone is technically LTE, it's just that WIND doesn't have LTE yet so it's only 3G. I'm not sure how fast WIND's 3G is, but given how many goons are on it I'm sure it's not a huge deal. I don't think I've ever had a customer care about LTE on their phone.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

less than three posted:

If you set your phone to disable data roaming, the amount you save on WIND easily surpasses the few roaming calls/texts you send. I'm paying $40 instead of $80 now, and do like $1/mo roaming in Vancouver.

Thanks for the breakdown.

So the $1/mo roaming you do in Vancouver, is that because you hit a dead spot and it switches to the Rogers network?

OilSlick posted:

The phone is technically LTE, it's just that WIND doesn't have LTE yet so it's only 3G. I'm not sure how fast WIND's 3G is, but given how many goons are on it I'm sure it's not a huge deal.

Seeing as I don't even know the speed differences, I'm sure you're right that 3G will be more than enough, especially since I'm either at home or at work on wifi the majority of the time, but there are two different models of the S3 being released in Canada and the model Wind is releasing won't have LTE capability (according to wiki anyways):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III#Model_variants

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
I just saw this on Vidéotron's website.

Looks like a "good deal" compared to what I have with bell. I think it's time to change my old nexus one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Misanthrope posted:

So the $1/mo roaming you do in Vancouver, is that because you hit a dead spot and it switches to the Rogers network?

Seeing as I don't even know the speed differences, I'm sure you're right that 3G will be more than enough, especially since I'm either at home or at work on wifi the majority of the time, but there are two different models of the S3 being released in Canada and the model Wind is releasing won't have LTE capability (according to wiki anyways):

If really quick Internets is important to you, LTE shouldn't be discounted. It's home-class broadband speeds, and usually quicker uploads.

If, on the other hand, it isn't, then the savings on Wind will likely be better for you. I have LTE from Bell on my iPad, and Wind service on my Galaxy Nexus - there's a huge, huge difference in speeds, but usually also in cost.

Should you find yourself able to snag one of those 6GB data plans, though, and don't do tons of voice dialling, I'd honestly probably go with LTE.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Misanthrope posted:

My roaming is done occasionally in North East Abbotsford, where WIND doesn't advertise coverage. I do get 3 bars there on average, but sometimes it turns off for a bit and I have to use Rogers. I assume they're configuring towers in the area or something.

In Vancouver/Burnaby/New West proper where I usually am, I never do any roaming.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

In the near future, I'll be traveling during the weekends to the Southern Ontario area and would like to keep a pre-paid phone on-hand that will work there. I'm American so I'm clueless to the Canadian telecommunications providers (although I have heard how bad they actually are). My purchasing location options are a Rogers store and a Walmart just across the border. Here's what I'm looking for:

• A dumb phone with a pre-paid plan that has coverage in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet areas
  • The ability to add minutes and not have to worry about them expiring for as long as humanly possible when the phone is left unused
  • Hopefully not get charged out the rear end if I have to make calls to the USA

I have Virgin Mobile USA now and it's been fantastic. However, the phone is pretty much a paperweight once I cross the border unless I stumble upon free Wi-Fi access. Even then I can't make calls unless I get some VoIP service but I really don't want to bother with that. I think it would be easier to just keep a pre-paid Canadian phone on the side when I travel but maybe I'm wrong.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

In the near future, I'll be traveling during the weekends to the Southern Ontario area and would like to keep a pre-paid phone on-hand that will work there. I'm American so I'm clueless to the Canadian telecommunications providers (although I have heard how bad they actually are). My purchasing location options are a Rogers store and a Walmart just across the border. Here's what I'm looking for:

• A dumb phone with a pre-paid plan that has coverage in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet areas
  • The ability to add minutes and not have to worry about them expiring for as long as humanly possible when the phone is left unused

I have Virgin Mobile USA now and it's been fantastic. However, the phone is pretty much a paperweight once I cross the border unless I stumble upon free Wi-Fi access. Even then I can't make calls unless I get some VoIP service but I really don't want to bother with that. I think it would be easier to just keep a pre-paid Canadian phone on the side when I travel but maybe I'm wrong.

Last I checked, rogers, 7 eleven, petro canada, and wind are the ones with 365 day expiry on prepaid credits, although that only applies to $100 top ups.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

^^^

No Bell and probably Telus do the $100 card as well, but I think some of the cheaper carriers like 7-11 offer some better expiry dates on the lower denominations.

Misanthrope posted:

I was told there were only two models, one for LTE and one with no LTE but a quad core instead. Shame the non LTE carriers didn't get the latter.

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 1, 2012

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I live in Port Colborne and there is service from everyone here including WIND but I'm not sure how expansive that is. They have coverage in Welland and a tower at the edge of Fort Erie. The main WIND store is at the Pen Centre in St. Catharines but if a cheap poo poo phone is all you need just get one at Walmart/Rogers in Fort Erie.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 1, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh, and this is the point where we once again observe that Caller ID is an intrinsic part of a cellular signal, and it actually costs more for cellular companies to strip it out.

(Not a whole lot more, mind you, but still.)

Much like how SMS is implemented using spare bits in the GSM signalling protocol. If you send a text message, you send 160 characters of data in a special section of the packet. If you don't send a text message, you send 160 bytes of zeroes in the same section of the packet. Of course if you intentionally fill that buffer that the provider would have had to transmit anyway, they charge you 15 cents for the privilege. :argh:

Also, are there any countries other than Canada where they still charge you to receive text-messages? You'd think that it would be totally illegal to charge a customer money for receiving something that they have no ability to filter or reject, but hey, the CRTC is all old Rogers and Bell execs so the consumer is just plain hosed.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

I seem to recall hearing that some American carriers charge to receive texts and that was one of their original ways to "justify" the whole thing. I never actually checked to see if it's true but even if it is it's no less bullshit.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

What do you guys think of Primus? (and/or Searsconnect, looks like pretty much the same thing) Seems like a budgety Rogers re-seller, though that does mean that bullshit service fee. I'm mostly curious about their unlimited web browsing add-on since it's cheap.

If anyone knows of any great deals for the Montreal area, please inform me. I'm stuck finishing up a reeeally lovely 3-year Rogers contract (like I doubt retention could even change enough to make it on par with budget plans) until this Fall because I was :saddowns:.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

I seem to recall hearing that some American carriers charge to receive texts and that was one of their original ways to "justify" the whole thing. I never actually checked to see if it's true but even if it is it's no less bullshit.

At one time the carriers switched from 15c/sent message to 10c/sent 5c/received. Note this kept prices the same, splitting it between the two customers. In Canada they just added a 15c/receive to the 15c/send, essentially doubling the rate.

That was a few years ago, though. Now US carriers charge to send and receive just like Canada.

But who needs PPU when you can get 500 daytime, unlimited E+W, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, 2GB data, Caller ID/VM/forwarding for $49.99 (Or same w/unlimited voice for $59.99) :suicide:

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goddamn posted:

What do you guys think of Primus? (and/or Searsconnect, looks like pretty much the same thing) Seems like a budgety Rogers re-seller, though that does mean that bullshit service fee. I'm mostly curious about their unlimited web browsing add-on since it's cheap.

If anyone knows of any great deals for the Montreal area, please inform me. I'm stuck finishing up a reeeally lovely 3-year Rogers contract (like I doubt retention could even change enough to make it on par with budget plans) until this Fall because I was :saddowns:.

What are your specific needs for voice. Smartphone or feature phone? What price range are you looking for?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If any of you guys have an EVO 3D on Rogers, I just got the ICS update.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So the new Rogers FlexTab deals are changing things for me. I was planning on just buying a Galaxy S3 outright, but now I'm wondering why I wouldnt go on a 3 year FlexTab for the following reasons
1. Its $650 outright, but $209 on a 3 year flextab plan.
2. I will be paying $84 a month on my contract (200 daytime min, vvm, caller id, 3gb data, free local evenings/we) one way or another.
2.5. I expect to be here for 3 years, but if I move countries again, point 3 applies.
3. I may as well get the flextab, and if I feel I want to change anything for any reason, I just pay the remainder of $650 that I would have otherwise?

Problem is I cant find the disadvantage to this. I'm a new customer (well, transferring from Fido), but all the search results on Google seem to be angry existing customers complaining that life is unfair for them*. Can anyone point out a disadvantage for this in isolation?

* I know, yes, I know, theme of the thread.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

less than three posted:

What are your specific needs for voice. Smartphone or feature phone? What price range are you looking for?

Depends on what's a good deal I guess, I haven't used a smartphone yet but it'd be nice if there was a good thing going for that. I'm married and mostly use voice to talk to my husband, he mostly uses it for that and his parents. It's a kind of chicken and egg thing though, we kind of fell into that because our plan is crap. We text here and there. Having voicemail and/or caller ID is pretty important for me, and it'd be great to be able to look poo poo up on the internet whenever, as long as it doesn't mean paying ridiculously more than I would be otherwise.

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS
I just got my shiny new Galaxy S III and could not understand why my speeds were so slow. It says 4G on the phone, 4G is LTE right?

Nope, it's HSPA+ and for the life of me I could not get "LTE" working. Turns out they gave me a regular Sim card and not an LTE sim card. I have to pay extra for that as well as a monthly fee.

What. The. gently caress.

They advertise all these phones as LTE yet when you purchase them LTE is nowhere to be seen. I am normally mild tempered about dealing with carriers but this infuriates me.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goddamn posted:

Depends on what's a good deal I guess, I haven't used a smartphone yet but it'd be nice if there was a good thing going for that. I'm married and mostly use voice to talk to my husband, he mostly uses it for that and his parents. It's a kind of chicken and egg thing though, we kind of fell into that because our plan is crap. We text here and there. Having voicemail and/or caller ID is pretty important for me, and it'd be great to be able to look poo poo up on the internet whenever, as long as it doesn't mean paying ridiculously more than I would be otherwise.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/mobile/mobile-plans/infinite-urban-zone-plans/infinite-urban-zone-data
$45 for unlimited voice, 500mb data, call display/VM, 125 messages.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/mobile/mobile-plans/infinite-urban-zone-plans/all-inclusive-infinite-urban-zone
$50 unlimited talk/messaging plus call display/VM.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Flextab yea or nay

I read over it and, like any other tab system, there seems to be no reason not to go for it. In the worst case you pay for something you would have had to pay for had you not got the tab (perhaps plus a small disconnection fee).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Pacinamac posted:

I just got my shiny new Galaxy S III and could not understand why my speeds were so slow. It says 4G on the phone, 4G is LTE right?

Nope, it's HSPA+ and for the life of me I could not get "LTE" working. Turns out they gave me a regular Sim card and not an LTE sim card. I have to pay extra for that as well as a monthly fee.

What. The. gently caress.

They advertise all these phones as LTE yet when you purchase them LTE is nowhere to be seen. I am normally mild tempered about dealing with carriers but this infuriates me.

What carrier are you with?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Cacator posted:

I want to get the Galaxy S3 but still have 13 months left on my current contract with Telus. I can trade in my current phone (HTC Desire) and get a $40 credit for my cancellation fee and get it before July 10 for their dumb "no activation fee" promotion or I can go through retentions and possibly see if they can offer a better plan (currently on $65 with 1 GB data and 200 minutes etc.). What can I realistically expect from retentions, given that I am a lazy man and would prefer not to do it?

I considered switching to Wind but I want LTE.
I got 200 minutes, unlimited texts, a bunch of long distance thrown in and 6gb for $60. That was with like an hour of bargaining. My buddy spent four hours and got pretty much that for $55.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Seems the 3G on my iPhone 4 has been turned off yet I can still receive texts and make calls. Happened out of nowhere too. And it's not like anyone has made calls (anyone as in the account holder (plan is shared with family)) to Rogers. Guess it's a call to Rogers but that always ends up in chaos and them adding extra bullshit.

Checking online I don't see any issues with the account, a payment comes out on the 1st and 15th of every month. But why would they just cancel my 3G data? Shits hosed.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What do you mean 3G is turned off? You always get shunted to Edge, or does your data just not work at all? Is Cellular Data turned off in Settings? Have you tried to reset your network settings on the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll try to reset the network settings. But there is no 3G icon nor the Edge icon. Celluar data is on as well.

EDIT: Okay, that seemed to have worked -- what the heck, iPhone bug or Rogers?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 4, 2012