Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the advice, Dark One. I will take a look. I know nothing about the Android thing so hopefully that's enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone tried the prepaid phones/service they offer at 7-11? I rarely use the phone, so I'm thinking prepaid might be the way to go, since buying something like 100 minutes for $25 could last me for months.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone tried the prepaid phones/service they offer at 7-11? I rarely use the phone, so I'm thinking prepaid might be the way to go, since buying something like 100 minutes for $25 could last me for months.

It uses Rogers, so if you're fine with mediocre urban service and lovely rural service, go for it. That's really the only downside.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

less than three posted:

It uses Rogers, so if you're fine with mediocre urban service and lovely rural service, go for it. That's really the only downside.

Good to know. Mainly I'm thinking of getting it as it's the cheapest thing going, and I can use it as a landline replacement. And being a landline replacement for me, I probably won't even take it out of my home.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If you're looking for a landline replacement, why not freephoneline.ca? Permanent number, and voicemails show up as audio attachments in your e-mail inbox. You can call out and receive calls through your computer too.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

So I took the plunge and went to Walmart in Canada to buy a pre-paid phone. I had taken into consideration a couple of the suggestions here. However, only one really helped me (gently caress Rogers was the only thing that helped). The reason for that is I just found out that Walmart really only carries Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido and Virgin Mobile.

So I basically thought gently caress Rogers, I'll talk to this female Walmart employee and also read the boxes on the phones. I explained to her that I want a pre-paid phone/plan that won't expire quickly and will also work fairly well in the Port Colborne area. Without hesitation she recommended Telus because they apparently work well in that area due to a decent number of cell towers. I had narrowed it down to Telus and Virgin Mobile, but her comment, the $100/365 day expiry, and the fact that the Telus phone came with a $20 credit sold me. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Cell reception in Port Colborne is not a big issue.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rawrr posted:

If you're looking for a landline replacement, why not freephoneline.ca? Permanent number, and voicemails show up as audio attachments in your e-mail inbox. You can call out and receive calls through your computer too.

I may go that route, but I don't want to leave a PC on in a condo. It's hot enough already in there in the summer without a PC on all time. Even my laptop puts out an uncomfortable amount of heat at times.

Even if I got that Fongo thing, there are still a few small fees that overall would probably be more expensive than going prepaid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the advice, Dark One. I will take a look. I know nothing about the Android thing so hopefully that's enough.

Turning it off gives you a "Make sure you have a data connection" page not found error, but there's no way to be sure it's pulling nothing. It does show a loading progress bar before failing on my phone.

Bell will disable data for a ~$30 one time fee, maybe Rogers has copied it by now.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I'll be in Toronto with my wife for a week. Are there any good places to get a prepaid phone for this time? All we'd need it for would be calling and texting her Canadian family.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speakout is really good if you're not a heavy user. My wife and I are pretty much together 24/7 and her Speakout phone is hardly used. We loaded it up with $25 and haven't had to top it in 6 months.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Aphrodite posted:

Bell will disable data for a ~$30 one time fee

Err.... What? There is certainly no fee unless they just introduced one this morning.

Either way, pretty much every smartphone now has the ability to easily block data use. I rarely have to call in to have data blocked anymore. Doing it on the device itself has worked well for me and I can't think of any time anyone managed to get data charges by blocking it on the device and not the account. You should be fine.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Even if it's fine the majority of the time, I think that if the carrier can block data then I'd want to do it from that end too for peace of mind. With the exorbitant rates carriers charge for 'no data plan' data use I'd like something blocking it from their side just so they can't ding me for the full charge if my device screws up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

Err.... What? There is certainly no fee unless they just introduced one this morning.

It was about 2 months ago now. 2 new phones, they charged $30 for the privilege of not having data.

Edit: Each.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 9, 2012

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Aphrodite posted:

It was about 2 months ago now. 2 new phones, they charged $30 for the privilege of not having data.

That's just wow. I have data blocked from a long time ago but I'm looking to get it back on in the near future.
I hope they don't charge for the privlege of receiving data.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Each.

:stare:

Uh... did you actually see the charge on your bill? Did it actually say "data block charge" or something? I'm sure I did it recently for a customer and there was no such charge. It's just a feature they add to your account. I'm sure I would have had this bite me in the rear end by now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

iLikeMidgets posted:

Speakout is really good if you're not a heavy user. My wife and I are pretty much together 24/7 and her Speakout phone is hardly used. We loaded it up with $25 and haven't had to top it in 6 months.

Just keep in mind there's a $1.25 911 charge per month so if you make a short call once a week or so you might end up paying as much for the 911 fee as your calling. That's still less than half of Rogers' bullshit, oughta-be-illegal GRRF.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OilSlick posted:

:stare:

Uh... did you actually see the charge on your bill? Did it actually say "data block charge" or something? I'm sure I did it recently for a customer and there was no such charge. It's just a feature they add to your account. I'm sure I would have had this bite me in the rear end by now.

It wasn't me. It was my mother in law. She upgraded her phone from a dumbphone, and got her son one and each time had a fee.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Akileese posted:

So I'm going to Montreal at the end of the month. I currently have an HSPA+ Gnex running on a monthly 4g t-mo service. Is there anything decent prepaid data wise in Canada? I have no problem buying a month worth and just letting it go, but it would be nice to have even a little data so I can use maps/fb/twitter. Maybe 500mbs or around that. I'm staying with a friend so I'll have wifi whenever I'm there.

If your phone is unlocked you can get service on Wind and Mobilicity as they both use the AWS band for data (same as T-Mobile). On Wind it's $40 unlimited talk/text/data and you can go month to month.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I'm about to get a new phone in the next month, and was just about to take the advice from the Android thread to buy a Galaxy Nexus from Google Play, and then I realised I lived in Canada.
Does anyone know if WIND's Galaxy Nexus is different from all the other ones. I assume it's the same since the one from Google Play is compatible with WIND.

P.S. If anyone has anecdotes of WIND in the Waterloo area that's great too.

Edit: Whoops I guess not. Canadian Nexus' are "yakjuux" while in order to get updates directly from Google you have to have "yakju". No big deal, time to get my flash on.

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 10, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

A Jupiter posted:

I'm about to get a new phone in the next month, and was just about to take the advice from the Android thread to buy a Galaxy Nexus from Google Play, and then I realised I lived in Canada.
Does anyone know if WIND's Galaxy Nexus is different from all the other ones. I assume it's the same since the one from Google Play is compatible with WIND.

Yeah, no reason not to get the WIND one on the tab.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

A Jupiter posted:

Edit: Whoops I guess not. Canadian Nexus' are "yakjuux" while in order to get updates directly from Google you have to have "yakju". No big deal, time to get my flash on.
I live in K-W, and my GNex works great on WIND. I have no real issues with the service.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GSM Galaxy Nexus is a penta-band phone so you can literally use it on any Canadian carrier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

A Jupiter posted:

I haven't had any problems in Waterloo with WIND, short of my university's dungeonesque basements.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
So there is this:

Activate a new Wind phone with WindTab, get $200 in account credits ($20/month for 10 months applied to your bill).

Thinking of jumping on this - 99% of my time is in Hamilton/Burlington/Toronto, it's hard to beat. Anyone in those areas have any problems?

Subsequently, does anyone know the terms of cancelling a Virgin Mobile plan?

TeeSoup
Dec 30, 2008

BlueTesla posted:

So there is this:

Activate a new Wind phone with WindTab, get $200 in account credits ($20/month for 10 months applied to your bill).

Thinking of jumping on this - 99% of my time is in Hamilton/Burlington/Toronto, it's hard to beat. Anyone in those areas have any problems?

Last time I called, they told me $20 per month remaining, minimum $100. If you're in your first year of a data plan you have to pay extra for the data credit too. By "coincidence", when I called in to ask how much cancellation would cost, they noticed my account was eligible for a hardware upgrade with 15 months remaining on my contract.

I would just call and ask, the person I spoke to told me the cost right away without any hassle.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Hamilton and Burlington are pretty good in general I've found but definitely check CoverageMapper for Toronto to see if the spots you frequent are ok.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

BlueTesla posted:

So there is this:

"The monthly credit is applicable only for monthly add-ons and pay per use charges and is not valid toward your monthly plan fees (that is, the $40/month plan fee)."

Doesn't seem so great unless you have a lot of addons.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Mordecai posted:

"The monthly credit is applicable only for monthly add-ons and pay per use charges and is not valid toward your monthly plan fees (that is, the $40/month plan fee)."

Doesn't seem so great unless you have a lot of addons.

You could get one of the cheaper plans and load it up with addons to get the same features of the $40 plan. I remember that being possible in the early days of Wind at least.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I think I'm getting sick of using prepaid plans. I've been using Virgin mobile for a few years now, thinking of maybe switching to WIND. I mean, I don't really use my phone as much right now but maybe I will if I switch to the 25$ plan?

Can I port a prepaid number over too?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah you can port a prepaid number anywhere, just make sure you have some piece of the account info as it speeds up the process considerably. If you're with Virgin it's probably the phone number and your pin that they will ask for. I found that I used a smartphone quite a bit once I swapped over to a decent plan where you don't need to count your messages or anything silly.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Sober posted:

I think I'm getting sick of using prepaid plans. I've been using Virgin mobile for a few years now, thinking of maybe switching to WIND. I mean, I don't really use my phone as much right now but maybe I will if I switch to the 25$ plan?

Can I port a prepaid number over too?

At Koodo (not sure for other providers) we ask for either your PIN, account number or the IMEI of your current phone (So bring your phone in). I figure other providers use the same process.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Kolta posted:

At Koodo (not sure for other providers) we ask for either your PIN, account number or the IMEI of your current phone (So bring your phone in). I figure other providers use the same process.

Bell does the same.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Will a non-telus GSM phone be able to work with a telus data?

I ask this because I have a pretty good telus promo plan but I wanted to add data, I added a data-flex plan on their website. When I tried accessing the web on my phone it said "Browser cannot load this page because there is no internet connection". So I called them and apparently I can't add data on my plan :downs: Nothing in my plan stated I can't add data, nor did the data add-on state that I can't add it to my plan. They just told me I can't do it, and because it's a promotional plan and they're doing me such a huge favor I should be happy with what I got...

Anyways, I'm going to raise a stink again with Telus, but I wanna just confirm that data will actually work with a non-telus GSM phone with Telus.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

never happy posted:

Will a non-telus GSM phone be able to work with a telus data?

I ask this because I have a pretty good telus promo plan but I wanted to add data, I added a data-flex plan on their website. When I tried accessing the web on my phone it said "Browser cannot load this page because there is no internet connection". So I called them and apparently I can't add data on my plan :downs: Nothing in my plan stated I can't add data, nor did the data add-on state that I can't add it to my plan. They just told me I can't do it, and because it's a promotional plan and they're doing me such a huge favor I should be happy with what I got...

Anyways, I'm going to raise a stink again with Telus, but I wanna just confirm that data will actually work with a non-telus GSM phone with Telus.

Is it unlocked? Which frequencies does it support? For a non-Telus phone to work on the Telus network it will need to be unlocked and operate on the 1900/2100 HSPA(+) frequency.

Devices that won't work typically come from Wind, Mobilicity, and T-mobile, though some Nokia phones and the GSM Galaxy Nexus should because they support all 5 common bands.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

ZShakespeare posted:

Is it unlocked? Which frequencies does it support? For a non-Telus phone to work on the Telus network it will need to be unlocked and operate on the 1900/2100 HSPA(+) frequency.

Devices that won't work typically come from Wind, Mobilicity, and T-mobile, though some Nokia phones and the GSM Galaxy Nexus should because they support all 5 common bands.

The phone is a Motorola XPRT that was originally a sprint phone. I already have the phone and it works fine, I can talk and text with it. But I can't tell if it would work with data yet.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

grack posted:

If your phone is unlocked you can get service on Wind and Mobilicity as they both use the AWS band for data (same as T-Mobile). On Wind it's $40 unlimited talk/text/data and you can go month to month.

There's no Wind/Mobilicity in Montreal.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

never happy posted:

The phone is a Motorola XPRT that was originally a sprint phone. I already have the phone and it works fine, I can talk and text with it. But I can't tell if it would work with data yet.

A quick google reveals that the phone supports HSPA 850/1900/2100, so yes, you can get data on it.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
You could probably just got to a Telus booth/store and ask them to pop in a simcard and test it for you.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Kreez posted:

There's no Wind/Mobilicity in Montreal.

I think Videotron snapped up the equivalent AWS spectrum in Montreal.