Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Migishu posted:

So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

They're out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Migishu posted:

So on Tuesday I called Fido. It's been a week, they've hosed up multiple times on my order, and they still haven't shipped my phone...

...to get a response from an agent "apparently we're not shipping out any more phones until July 20, seems to be for all phones, not just the Galaxy Nexus".

The gently caress? Can someone explain this poo poo?

Fido - great customer service (provided you know how to talk to them) supply chain and internal communications FUBAR'd constantly.

The last time I went for my renewal I talked retentions in to a sweetheart deal of giving me a smartphone at 3 year data plan price on 2 year voice only. Went to a Fido store to pick the phone up and they wouldn't let me because they didn't believe me, even though I had a contract number and rep number in hand for lookup.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I even asked if I could pick the phone up from a store and they were all "nope"

Makes no sense to me why they have to ship it out if I have 3 Fido stores close to me that have stock.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Migishu posted:

I even asked if I could pick the phone up from a store and they were all "nope"

Makes no sense to me why they have to ship it out if I have 3 Fido stores close to me that have stock.

If they're anything like Rogers, the salespeople on the phone are on commission. It's one of the [many] reasons they were my absolute most hated carriers when I did sales. I understand retention staff needing to keep their numbers up to prove productivity but to require a purchase be made through the phone and shipped when they have their own loving stores is just ludicrous.

It's even worse than Chapters refusing to price match their own website.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Does anyone know if Bell is going to release Android 4.1.1 OTA anytime soon for the Galaxy Nexus? Or should I just root/rom it?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

MrZig posted:

Does anyone know if Bell is going to release Android 4.1.1 OTA anytime soon for the Galaxy Nexus? Or should I just root/rom it?

Is this a serious post

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

ante posted:

Is this a serious post

Yes. I was under the belief that the Nexus was updated by Google itself, and not through carriers as it uses Google's UI. Yet most people in the US have Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4, and everyone in Canada that I can tell is still on 4.0.1.

I'm not sure if 4.1.1 is coming straight from Google in the next few days - or if it has to pass through my carrier (Bell) first?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So Mobilicity is having another promotion. All plans are $30 a month, good for a year.

It seems like they've changed their plans slightly, though, and now they include 60 minutes of North American roaming, as well as a phone protection plan.

Right now, my plan is the old $45 + $10 data addon one. I got it for half price around Christmas last year, and it was only supposed to run for 6 months. I changed credit cards a few months ago, though, and that resulted in the promotion being cancelled until they reinstated it for me. My bill for August is going to be like $30, so so far this six month plan has lasted 8 months.

So now a couple of questions. Is my phone going to be covered by the protection plan even though it's not a new phone? Also what are the odds that the "6 month" part of the promotion I have right now has been overlooked, and I'm on it indefinitely? I don't really care too much about the roaming, but if the protection plan will apply, then I'll switch. On the other hand, I don't want to stay where I am only to have my bill go up to $55 at the beginning of September because someone realised it was supposed to have expired.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

MrZig posted:

Yes. I was under the belief that the Nexus was updated by Google itself, and not through carriers as it uses Google's UI. Yet most people in the US have Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4, and everyone in Canada that I can tell is still on 4.0.1.

I'm not sure if 4.1.1 is coming straight from Google in the next few days - or if it has to pass through my carrier (Bell) first?

I bought a used Galaxy Nexus this afternoon, reinstalled stock 4.0.4 and checked Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates and it was there for me.

e:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 14, 2012

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I bought a used Galaxy Nexus this afternoon, reinstalled stock 4.0.4 and checked Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates and it was there for me.

I heard that 4.0.4's are getting the updates first. I got the Nexus almost as soon as it came out, it updated to 4.0.1 and has stayed there.. No update to Jellybean yet.

Edit: I just loaded up the Yakju 4.0.4 build onto my phone by following this guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1626895

I now have 4.0.4 working good, still no Jellybean update. Will check again in the morning.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 14, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Anyone know whether there are Canadian retailers that carry the Diztronic tpu cases? I have an otterbox on my phone right now and the smooth plastic back is probably going to cause more problems than it protects.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

MrZig posted:

I heard that 4.0.4's are getting the updates first. I got the Nexus almost as soon as it came out, it updated to 4.0.1 and has stayed there.. No update to Jellybean yet.

Edit: I just loaded up the Yakju 4.0.4 build onto my phone by following this guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1626895

I now have 4.0.4 working good, still no Jellybean update. Will check again in the morning.

If you installed yakju then you can manually update to 4.1.1 by following the instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1419170

Alternatively you can just wait until you get the update over the air but who knows how long that will be.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

acetcx posted:

If you installed yakju then you can manually update to 4.1.1 by following the instructions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1419170

I did just that this morning. Woot! Jeallybeeeean.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
What is with Wind's horrible repair policy of taking 14 days to repair a damaged charging port and then asking for a $150 deposit. It that sort of thing normal for cellphone companies here?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Anyone know whether there are Canadian retailers that carry the Diztronic tpu cases? I have an otterbox on my phone right now and the smooth plastic back is probably going to cause more problems than it protects.

I ordered one for my One X directly from their website. The case was $9.50 I think, plus shipping $2.50. It took less then 4 days to arrive.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Fractal Cat posted:

What is with Wind's horrible repair policy of taking 14 days to repair a damaged charging port and then asking for a $150 deposit. It that sort of thing normal for cellphone companies here?

Yep. Seeing as how Wind likely deals with the same repair companies the Big 3 deals with, that sounds totally normal. Was the deposit for a loaner phone?

It's been a while since I've had to deal with repair centers, but they're generally terrible. They're virtually impossible to get a hold of, take forever to respond to emails, and ignore any special instructions you may have for them. Shipping a phone to them to get repaired and returned often takes between 2-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Defects are often never fully repaired, and they will probably return again, it's just a matter of when. Without the burden of competition, they don't have to worry about pesky things like customer service. You cannot dispute their findings in any way. If they say your phone got wet but your phone has never left your pocket, or that your charging port was bent even though you've always been gentle with it, too bad. It's one of the shittiest parts of our cellular industry and so far there's been no real attempt to improve it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WienerDog posted:

I ordered one for my One X directly from their website. The case was $9.50 I think, plus shipping $2.50. It took less then 4 days to arrive.

I did the same thing for my Diztronic S3 case. Really fast shipping and the case is great.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

OilSlick posted:

Yep. Seeing as how Wind likely deals with the same repair companies the Big 3 deals with, that sounds totally normal. Was the deposit for a loaner phone?

It's been a while since I've had to deal with repair centers, but they're generally terrible. They're virtually impossible to get a hold of, take forever to respond to emails, and ignore any special instructions you may have for them. Shipping a phone to them to get repaired and returned often takes between 2-4 weeks, sometimes longer. Defects are often never fully repaired, and they will probably return again, it's just a matter of when. Without the burden of competition, they don't have to worry about pesky things like customer service. You cannot dispute their findings in any way. If they say your phone got wet but your phone has never left your pocket, or that your charging port was bent even though you've always been gentle with it, too bad. It's one of the shittiest parts of our cellular industry and so far there's been no real attempt to improve it.

The deposit was incase the repair centre decided that the damage was my fault. If I wanted a loaner phone it would be $10, but I'm imaging it would just be a flip-phone of some kind so why bother with that?

But I'm not even going to bother with the repair centre at this point since I got a replacement part for $5.00 (thank you Shenzhen, what electronics don't you have) and have access to a hot-air reflow station. The board layout has the usb port put in a spot that allows for easy repairs, almost like engineers thought that it was a weak point and would be the most likely thing needing to be replaced.

However I'm thinking the average user does not have access to a SMD repair station, and if anything serious was damaged I wouldn't even attempt a repair. So this policy still makes me mad. :(

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

MrZig posted:

I was under the same belief. Gave up and flashed yakju and then jellybean.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I guess maybe I kind of missed it, but does anyone know what the verdict is on all those Rogers resellers? (Stuff like 7-Eleven, Petro-Canada, Searsconnect, etc.)

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Goddamn posted:

I guess maybe I kind of missed it, but does anyone know what the verdict is on all those Rogers resellers? (Stuff like 7-Eleven, Petro-Canada, Searsconnect, etc.)

What exactly would you like to know? They work fine for basic phone service.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Steriletom posted:

I was under the same belief. Gave up and flashed yakju and then jellybean.

Yeah it kind've pissed me off. I thought every Nexus was Google's own, and that updates would go directly to it.

Still though, flashing it was fairly painless. I love the fastness of it all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WIND is getting rid of the Get Satisfaction forum.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lone Rogue posted:

WIND is getting rid of the Get Satisfaction forum.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Are they going to have anything in its place?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

mediaphage posted:

Are they going to have anything in its place?

Likely not.

They never had enough people to properly moderate it and even when we were keeping up, they shoved us into the phone queue's so we fell behind on everything including Community. Four people all week to handle Twitter, Facebook, e-mail and Community was too much.

They recently hired a group to help handle Facebook but they don't know WIND policies very well and have been making a lot of errors.

I'm out of there in two weeks so if you need any help on something, ask here. When I'm done there, ask questions on Twitter. Fastest way to get assistance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. I'm about to make some changes to my account. I'm adding some data plans and changing some stuff around. Generally have this worked out with a sales rep over the phone; he's calling me back tomorrow to finalize -- I said I wanted a day to think about it.

I'm currently off contract. He said that typically the changes I'm making would require re-upping but he'll "let" me do it without a contract update. This sounds fishy as gently caress and I'm worried I'll get my next bill and find out I'm on another three year contract.

What should I ask for so I can cover my rear end? Will the sales rep be putting notes into the system saying he's doing this without re-upping me? Should I be asking for reference numbers to these notes?

I feel like I should be hiring a lawyer for these kinds of things, that's how little I trust the telcos.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
What carrier?

Honestly all the reference numbers and CYA doesn't matter, if they gently caress it up you'll be blamed for it and you'll be on a painful trek to fix it.

For Bell, I wouldn't touch the plan, only features.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm out of there in two weeks so if you need any help on something, ask here. When I'm done there, ask questions on Twitter. Fastest way to get assistance.

If I want to port a number from Rogers, should I cancel my Rogers account first, or setup WIND service first?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

If I want to port a number from Rogers, should I cancel my Rogers account first, or setup WIND service first?

I ported my number from Telus to Fido about 4 years ago, I was told I'd lose the number if I cancel first. I think the safe bet is go to WIND and port your number on the last day of your Rogers contract, and let WIND deal with cancelling your Rogers account.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

less than three posted:

What carrier?

Honestly all the reference numbers and CYA doesn't matter, if they gently caress it up you'll be blamed for it and you'll be on a painful trek to fix it.

For Bell, I wouldn't touch the plan, only features.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's Rogers. This is what I'm worried about. I want to add a data plan to a line on my family plan, but the way he described the changes sounded very appealing -- I don't have the list underhand right now, but it was pretty decent and would end up only being like $10 more than what I'm paying for more minutes, shared 2gb data (which is fine by me, I've lived on 500mb for three years and never once went over), free long distance and other little pieces of fluff.

I'm not against signing another contract with Rogers, but I was hoping to save that perk for a hardware upgrade and not some plan change.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 18, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

the talent deficit posted:

As rexelation says, do not cancel Rogers. We cannot port canceled numbers.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

My Dad's Nokia C6 likes to freeze at random. Fido seems to be ignoring my questions about updating its firmware, what else can I do?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's Rogers. This is what I'm worried about. I want to add a data plan to a line on my family plan, but the way he described the changes sounded very appealing -- I don't have the list underhand right now, but it was pretty decent and would end up only being like $10 more than what I'm paying for more minutes, shared 2gb data (which is fine by me, I've lived on 500mb for three years and never once went over), free long distance and other little pieces of fluff.

I'm not against signing another contract with Rogers, but I was hoping to save that perk for a hardware upgrade and not some plan change.

Get the rep to send the plan details to a local Rogers store to get it all in writing, especially the part about you *not* re-upping a contract. Make sure everything you agreed to is spelled out point by point, and have a reference number and agent number on the contract.

Belt and suspenders perhaps, but absolutely worthwhile since there are Rogers stores everywhere these days.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rogers you have to be the most careful of the three carriers, they love to renew your contract if you sneeze in the general vicinity of a plan brochure.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Don't forget that there's the whole 30 day notice thing, so expect to pay for another month with rogers when you port your number.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

jwoven posted:

Don't forget that there's the whole 30 day notice thing, so expect to pay for another month with rogers when you port your number.

This is true and goddamn stupid. I think Telus and Virgin are the only ones who don't automatically do this. I ported from Telus to Bell for a few customers who were not charged for the thirty days.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's possible to get that money back by escalating / complaining to the CCTS. Essentially they're charging you for service that they can't possibly provide due to the fact that the number was ported.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
poo poo son, Bell is now offering the $60 fab 10 plan with 6 GB instead of 1 GB. Everything else is the same, offered on any term no contract renewal required. It's offered until August 8th and not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan because we hate you or something.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

OilSlick posted:

poo poo son, Bell is now offering the $60 fab 10 plan with 6 GB instead of 1 GB. Everything else is the same, offered on any term no contract renewal required. It's offered until August 8th and not available in Manitoba or Saskatchewan because we hate you or something.

Thanks for pointing that out. I might have to jump on that. I'm sure I can justify it after you helped me save that $5 on vm/Cid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This might not be a question for this thread, but what is the legality of recording customer service calls (on my end) in Ontario?