Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vesper
Jun 24, 2006

Ooooh, shiiiiiiny.

vesper fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Koodo has zero control over updates.

This is completely wrong. There's a reason the Rogers Nexus doesn't have JB yet while others do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Godinster posted:

This is completely wrong. There's a reason the Rogers Nexus doesn't have JB yet while others do.

Galaxy, or S?

I have jellybean on Rogers with a Nexus S.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So I called Mobilicity and asked about their $30 thing, as I decided that the extra $3 would be worth having the roaming minutes if nothing else. The rep told me that I could actually keep my half off promotion, and that by switching to the new $45 plan, I would get everything I had already, plus 30 minutes of roaming, for $22.50, which is $5 less per month than what I was paying. gently caress yeah.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The S.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Godinster posted:

Then I'm not sure how other companies do it because WIND has zero control. We're at the whim of Samsung, LG, etc. Unless there's money expected to change hands that we're not aware of.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I am trying to find a new phone plan and phone, and the lack of options is driving me crazy.
I currently have the $25 plan from Fido, with voicemail addon. It comes to $48 a month. I don't have a contract, and never have had one as I have always bought unlocked phones. I have about $250 fido dollars in my account. If I have to, I will sign a 3 year contract.

I have an HTC Desire now, but after 2 years and several drops, it doesn't work very well.

I want to upgrade to an HTC One S or a Galaxy 3s, as well as get a data plan.
I just about never talk on the phone, but I text a lot.
I am trying to find minimal talk minutes, unlimited text, data above 500mb (although I have no idea what my usage will be like) and voicemail, but no one seems to have anything suitable that isn't $70/month plus tax, which is too much.

I am considering using WIND, but I am worried that I won't get the coverage I need. I am a musician and play out of the GTA regularly, and don't want to get hit with roaming fees, especially if I need to use the data to look something up online.
The Rogers 6/gb promotion seemed decent, but it doesn't have voicemail, which means I have to pay even more.
The only data plan Fido offers on 3 year contracts is 500mb.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Brekelefuw posted:

I am trying to find a new phone plan and phone, and the lack of options is driving me crazy.
I currently have the $25 plan from Fido, with voicemail addon. It comes to $48 a month. I don't have a contract, and never have had one as I have always bought unlocked phones. I have about $250 fido dollars in my account. If I have to, I will sign a 3 year contract.

I have an HTC Desire now, but after 2 years and several drops, it doesn't work very well.

I am trying to find minimal talk minutes, unlimited text, data above 500mb (although I have no idea what my usage will be like) and voicemail, but no one seems to have anything suitable that isn't $70/month plus tax, which is too much.

I am considering using WIND, but I am worried that I won't get the coverage I need. I am a musician and play out of the GTA regularly, and don't want to get hit with roaming fees, especially if I need to use the data to look something up online.
The Rogers 6/gb promotion seemed decent, but it doesn't have voicemail, which means I have to pay even more.

Koodo has 100m, 7pm E/W, CDP/VM, unlimted messaging and 2GB for $55. If you really use no minutes you can chop $5 by going to 50 anytime minutes. Long distance is included for both.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
I just replaced my N1 with the new Galaxy S3 and it's great. Only 2 thing.

1. A bunch of apps I can't delete, which is not a big deal.
2. I used the GPS only to realize that it uses an "insane" amount of data.(thing that didn't happen with the N1)

Anyway I was looking for a gps receiver on ebay. The comments are from 2010 and I have no idea if it actually works with android. Do any of you know if it works or any model in particular that I should look for ?

Monsieur N fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 25, 2012

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

less than three posted:

Koodo has 100m, 7pm E/W, CDP/VM, unlimted messaging and 2GB for $55. If you really use no minutes you can chop $5 by going to 50 anytime minutes. Long distance is included for both.

Koodo doesn't seem to have any good phones though.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Brekelefuw posted:

Koodo doesn't seem to have any good phones though.

Buy an unlocked phone somewhere, which is what you said you always do anyway.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Koodo has a super plan out now. 6gb of data, call display and voicemail, 250 Canada wide minutes, unlimited incoming calls and unlimited text for 60$ a month.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
Hey guys, what about the following with Videotron (Qc):

150 local minutes, unlimited ev/w-e from 6pm
unlimited texts
500 mb of data
voicemail
caller ID

40$ a month

I don't really need internet all that much on my phone and I only make local calls.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Monsieur N posted:

I just replaced my N1 with the new Galaxy S3 and it's great. Only 2 thing.

1. A bunch of apps I can't delete, which is not a big deal.
2. I used the GPS only to realize that it uses an "insane" amount of data.(thing that didn't happen with the N1)

Anyway I was looking for a gps receiver on ebay. The comments are from 2010 and I have no idea if it actually works with android. Do any of you know if it works or any model in particular that I should look for ?

I'm guessing it's google maps using the data, there are downloadable maps afaik, or you can tell gmaps to pre-buffer your area so it's not always using mobile data when it's on. Not sure what you want that GPS receiver for.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
I thought all the data was used by acquiring my position through triangulation. I will try again later today, I preloaded my area in google maps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So I saw an ad for this new Rogers bundle plan: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-campaigns?cm_sp=homepage-pre-_-6gb-en-0712-_-slot1

Anyone know if it's possible to change over to it from a current/plan contract? And if the 6gb LTE includes HSPA (as I don't have an LTE phone). It's a much better deal than what I'm currently getting.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I saw an ad for this new Rogers bundle plan: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-campaigns?cm_sp=homepage-pre-_-6gb-en-0712-_-slot1

Anyone know if it's possible to change over to it from a current/plan contract? And if the 6gb LTE includes HSPA (as I don't have an LTE phone). It's a much better deal than what I'm currently getting.

Yes, you can change to it from a current plan without renewing - or so the CSRs say. I just did this myself because it's basically the exact plan I used to have but $15 cheaper, but I have to check whether they renewed me anyway because it's Rogers.

I don't know if it's available for non-LTE phones, though. I'd assume "yes" since Rogers quietly stopped doing the "separate LTE data plans" thing soon after their LTE rollout, but I'd ask support about that part.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I just switched to that in store from my current plan and kept the same end of contract date. It was $5 more than my current plan, apparently if it had been cheaper I would have had to do the switch online. My phone (EVO3D) isn't LTE. It's pretty much the same plan that I had before except with 6GB instead of 1, so hopefully I won't have to worry about switching to wifi as much and can stop using opera mini.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's less than my current plan, but I can't find it online. I guess I'll try calling? I like going to the stores more though, much easier as there is one close by. They always just tell me to call for account changes :(

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Scudworth posted:

Buy an unlocked phone somewhere, which is what you said you always do anyway.

I was trying to avoid it, since I want the HTC One S or Galaxy 3s, which are both $600 phones.

It seems like Fido has the best upgrade for my needs, but even with $220 fido dollars, the phone comes out to almost as much with tax as it would be just buying the phone from them.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Kolta posted:

Koodo has a super plan out now. 6gb of data, call display and voicemail, 250 Canada wide minutes, unlimited incoming calls and unlimited text for 60$ a month.

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad and it's slightly better than my 200 local minutes, unlimited text, caller id, vmail 3 and 6GB through Telus plan for $65 + tax.

My contract is up in December, hmm.. I think I'll try calling in tomorrow.

Koodo's network is exactly the same as Telus/Bell's right?

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 26, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

Maybe you could consider prepaid?

With Fido, unlimited text is $10, 500mb is $25 (5 cents/mb afterwards), and voice mail is charged at voice rate of $0.30/minute. If you really don't talk that much, then your monthly bill will be around $35.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

terriyaki posted:

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad and it's slightly better than my 200 local minutes, unlimited text, caller id, vmail 3 and 6GB through Telus plan for $65 + tax.

My contract is up in December, hmm.. I think I'll try calling in tomorrow.

Koodo's network is exactly the same as Telus/Bell's right?

Yes. Koodo is just Telus in disguise.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EKDS5k posted:

So I called Mobilicity and asked about their $30 thing, as I decided that the extra $3 would be worth having the roaming minutes if nothing else. The rep told me that I could actually keep my half off promotion, and that by switching to the new $45 plan, I would get everything I had already, plus 30 minutes of roaming, for $22.50, which is $5 less per month than what I was paying. gently caress yeah.

Aren't their new promotion plans only for a year though? It's a bit of a gamble to switch if you're on a slightly less attractive lifetime plan.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

eXXon posted:

Aren't their new promotion plans only for a year though? It's a bit of a gamble to switch if you're on a slightly less attractive lifetime plan.

The one I was one was supposed to expire in June anyway. I didn't actually switch promotions, though, they're just letting me keep it and apply it to the new $45 plan. The guy said it should stay as long as I'm prepaying with my credit card.

And I figure even if it only lasts a year, they have promotions like this every other month, so I should be able to jump on one of those. If not, then Wind will probably have something, and I'll switch to them for a while.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Apparently porting a number is exactly the same thing as cancelling an account, nice to know that Fido!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It is, except it actually allows you to get your number out instead of it falling into the "cancelled account" nether.

Think of it this way, they can't provide service to a phone number that doesn't exist in their system anymore.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Fractal Cat posted:

Apparently porting a number is exactly the same thing as cancelling an account, nice to know that Fido!

Uh, well, yeah. If you port your number out you're no longer paying for an account with Fido, right?

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

grack posted:

Uh, well, yeah. If you port your number out you're no longer paying for an account with Fido, right?

I should have clarified, my partner's contract is up on the 2nd of August so they gave the 30-day notice to Fido, and was told by the CSR that if they ported their number that they would continue to have an account just no service. Now Fido sends them a bill today for the last month, and a 100 dollar early termination fee for both voice and data.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fractal Cat posted:

I should have clarified, my partner's contract is up on the 2nd of August so they gave the 30-day notice to Fido, and was told by the CSR that if they ported their number that they would continue to have an account just no service. Now Fido sends them a bill today for the last month, and a 100 dollar early termination fee for both voice and data.

So basically the CSR told the truth but not what you wanted to hear.

You still have an "account" with Fido but the moment you remove the phone number, you no longer have service and it's the *service* why you have a termination fee. Your name and information still exists with Fido but your account is not the same as your phone service.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Fractal Cat posted:

Also why would Fido charge for service that they cannot provide to you since your number no longer exists with them. Common sense plays a huge role here.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They actually do a catch 22 where they require 30 days notice (which, if you give, you can't port your number out), so they try and get away with charging you for a final month of service for porting your number out, even though they cannot actually provide said service.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

They actually do a catch 22 where they require 30 days notice (which, if you give, you can't port your number out), so they try and get away with charging you for a final month of service for porting your number out, even though they cannot actually provide said service.

30 days notice is accross the board. Porting in or not. If you don't port you can use your phone when you give the cancellation notice for those 30 days. I do find it a bit unfair that you are charged for a full 30 days but that's life I guess.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Exactly, my point is that you can't give 30 days notice and port on the final day, at least not with Rogers/Fido, and I think it's downright scummy that they still try and charge you for 30 days of service that you literally cannot use.

In most cases you can get the money back if you have time to spare to fight it.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Exactly, my point is that you can't give 30 days notice and port on the final day, at least not with Rogers/Fido, and I think it's downright scummy that they still try and charge you for 30 days of service that you literally cannot use.

In most cases you can get the money back if you have time to spare to fight it.

Almost every charge can be fought or reduced. Depends how much fight ya got in ya. HAH

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
Oh we were expecting the monthly charge on the invoice, it is the 200$ early cancelation fee we weren't expecting as the CSR assured my partner that wouldn't happen.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just changed my plan to the Telus equivalent and have to say I'm impressed with how easy it (ultimately) was. I bought an S3 a few weeks ago and tried to change it in store but they said I was too late, and I wasn't able to do it online (fine print even says the promotional plan doesn't apply to rate changes), but once I called them they didn't have any problem with giving it to me.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Cacator posted:

I just changed my plan to the Telus equivalent and have to say I'm impressed with how easy it (ultimately) was. I bought an S3 a few weeks ago and tried to change it in store but they said I was too late, and I wasn't able to do it online (fine print even says the promotional plan doesn't apply to rate changes), but once I called them they didn't have any problem with giving it to me.

What's the Telus equivalent? Is it exactly the same?

I was going to call today after work but instead I fell asleep. :haw:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

terriyaki posted:

What's the Telus equivalent? Is it exactly the same?

I was going to call today after work but instead I fell asleep. :haw:

Telus charges an extra $5 for no reason, but from the looks of it they're otherwise identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Cacator posted:

Telus charges an extra $5 for no reason, but from the looks of it they're otherwise identical.

Not quite, The Telus equivalent includes caller id and voice mail.