Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lol I just switched back to rogers and have 125gb for 55/month

That is a INSANE amount of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

MA-Horus posted:

I wonder how many subscribers use anything close to their max allowance.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The SMS spam is driving me up the wall. I report it to the carrier but as far as I can tell it’s going straight to /dev/null.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

MA-Horus posted:

I don't even think I use that much for home internet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I don't even think I use that much for home internet

someone doesn't play video games these days

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

someone doesn't play video games these days

Ever since kids, no. :(

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MA-Horus posted:

Fido is giving pretty much everyone a 30 gb bonus, even on black friday 40g/$34 plans. I got it as a post-login click to accept prompt. The facade of there being concrete reasons for data being expensive in this country is starting to crumble

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
People trot out the Canada is so big line, but really half the population lives 100km from the board from Windsor to Montreal and don’t go out side that. Data is not the expensive and radio tech just keeps getting better.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yowza, freedom pulling out the big guns already for boxing day/week. $34/30g and can&us.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Still just hoping that public does something remotely similar with us roaming.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Freedom upping it to 50gb/can+us data now.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Public Mobile came out with $50 for 100gb of 5G and $40 for 60 GB(iirc) of 5G for boxing week.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mederlock posted:

Public Mobile came out with $50 for 100gb of 5G and $40 for 60 GB(iirc) of 5G for boxing week.

Where did they find this surplus of data caps?!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Just jumped on the public mobile plan, using Mister Facetious referral code, $34/50GB 5G. It's insane how much data you get and what we pay for it now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chillyrabbit posted:

It's completely reasonable how much data you get and what we pay for it now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

Just jumped on the public mobile plan, using Mister Facetious referral code, $34/50GB 5G. It's insane how much data you get and what we pay for it now.

:cheers: saw the notification on my phone. Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Out of curiosity, anyone know why the Public US roaming plan excludes some obscure specific US exchanges?

quote:

Calls to 411, 511, Reedly, California (559-726-XXXX), Carroll, Iowa (712-775-XXXX), Lake Park, Iowa (712-432-XXXX), Charles City, lowa (641-552-XXXX), Pine Ridge, South Dakota (605-562-XXXX), Redfield,South Dakota (605-475-XXXX), and Fort Thompsons, South Dakota (605-477-XXXX) are not included.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
They claim it’s to keep the cost down for their plans

Public Mobile posted:

Unfortunately, our agreement with our partners in the U.S. makes it extremely expensive to support calls made to these regions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, thanks. Wonder what's different with those exchanges that makes them so much more than others.

Just a curiosity more than anything.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Most likely traffic pumping or similar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, interesting. Probably is shady poo poo like that. Thanks.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

There's a huge number of tiny exchanges in small towns that were setup eons ago and they exploited the fact that they can set the rates that other companies (bell) have to pay for incoming calls (ie to their tiny exchange). Bell didn't give a poo poo what the rate was back then (being the incumbent everywhere else) as they were flat rate to their customers.

Now days places that charge $2/min when the going rate is $0.001/min get filtered out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well dumped Freedom last night and back to public mobile. Ended up with the 50g Canada/USA/Roaming plan for $65/month, I'll keep my eyes open for any promos that might come.

The sign up process with Public's website was more than a little clunky, got errors towards the end, but downloaded the app and finished it with that. The e-sim process was fairly easy and straight forward, I didn't even know my Pixel 6 was a dual SIM phone lol.

Now just to wait and see if they charged my CC twice and have to deal with that.

But, immediately seeing full strength of 5G upon the changeover was pretty nice. I don't think I'll miss the Wifi calling of Freedom as PM/Telus network is so much stronger in areas I go.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 5, 2024

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

slidebite posted:

Well dumped Freedom last night and back to public mobile. Ended up with the 50g Canada/USA/Roaming plan for $65/month, I'll keep my eyes open for any promos that might come.

The sign up process with Public's website was more than a little clunky, got errors towards the end, but downloaded the app and finished it with that. The e-sim process was fairly easy and straight forward, I didn't even know my Pixel 6 was a dual SIM phone lol.

Now just to wait and see if they charged my CC twice and have to deal with that.

But, immediately seeing full strength of 5G upon the changeover was pretty nice. I don't think I'll miss the Wifi calling of Freedom as PM/Telus network is so much stronger in areas I go.

Did you have a chance to check if you have access to EPP Telus plans? They were offering $50 can/us last month, might as well go straight to the source.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

slidebite posted:

I was already on koodo but when I checked my personal offers in November they offered me 100gb us/canada for $60 which I took up. If I go into my plans they are still offering an upgrade to 120gb for $65 and have been since I did the original upgrade. I don't know if there's any way to talk yourself into plans like that as a new customer though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m on Telus and frankly shocked how crap the reception is in the greater Vancouver area. I am too lazy to hunt for deals usually but this might actually push me to move. It reminds me of the clearnet cdma days where calls would drop the instant you went in a building with walls thicker than wood 2x4s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iv46vi posted:

Did you have a chance to check if you have access to EPP Telus plans? They were offering $50 can/us last month, might as well go straight to the source.

What does "EPP" mean?

e: Oh, workplace partnership? Nah, my company does nothing like that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

lol who would have guessed that Rogers would already reneg on their commitment to lower prices after the Shaw merger.

CBC News posted:

Rogers said earlier this week some of its wireless customers will see increases of less than $7 to $9 per month in the coming weeks. On Friday, it said the average increase will be $5.

When that [Shaw merger] finally cleared every hurdle back in April, Rogers's CEO pledged to lower costs for consumers.

"Prices are going to come down," said Tony Staffieri.

In April, the CEO of Rogers Communications pledged prices would go down following its merger with Shaw Communications. This week Rogers said prices for subscribers who are not on contracts could go up by an average of $5 per month. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)

Rogers also noted the price per gigabyte of data has gone down on some of its plans.

Statistics Canada reported on that same trend late last year, but noted that a bigger "data allowance" can actually make cellular prices appear to be falling due to how they are calculated as part of the inflation rate — even if the total dollar amount consumers pay hasn't gone down.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mobile-wireless-pricing-competition-1.7076073

I'm ending my Shaw/Rogers internet service in a couple months, which will probably jeopardize the treasured $10/1GB mobile plan I was grandfathered into during the merger. If so, I guess I'm gonna bail and find the cheapest pay-as-you-go plan, because I barely use data anymore and have switched to a flip phone for a digital detox this year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shawgers

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Got a hearty chuckle out of the industry minister saying the problem is that there's not enough competition. I wonder who the gently caress would be responsible for that 🤔

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Get my Telus bill for home service. See it's gone up $40. Look at it.
<sigh>
Another 2 years, time for another retention song and dance shuffle.
:rolleyes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://apple.news/AJueYrgfmTjmhkGoT_dV4RA
(CBC News)

quote:

Even as the minister responsible admitted there aren't enough competitive options for mobile service in Canada, another federal official said consumers can and should search for other service providers when faced with price increases.

That message — from Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) Canada — came just hours after the Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said Canadians "still pay too much and see too little competition" for cellular services.

"Customers could consider switching service providers," an ISED Canada representative wrote Thursday, when asked for a response to price increases at Rogers Communications and reported hikes at Bell.

"Let them eat cake." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I still can't get over how they made a guy named François-Philippe Champagne the point man for discussing consumer goods and services inflation.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Mister Facetious posted:

https://apple.news/AJueYrgfmTjmhkGoT_dV4RA
(CBC News)

"Let them eat cake." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/01/23/teksavvy-calls-for-the-structural-separation-of-leading-telecom-companies/

Good luck

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I've been with Fido for 4 years after dumping Bell, and was just offered 90 gigs for $55/mo. By comparison, I currently have an 11gig plan (which I never get close to using) and pay $51 (56-5 credit month). Of course though, this new offer would nuke my credit.

So I call them and say look, I don't need a gently caress off huge amount of data, and I want to pay less. What your offers are online aren't even competitive with what you offer to new people (no access to 5G being a thing as well) and they responded with vOv

So now I have my eye on the Freedom 50 gigs US-Can for $34 and I'm wondering how dependable their service is, especially through the mountains? Their coverage map shows decent amounts but likely slower connectivity which, fine. They also seem to have very restricted 5G coverage at this point. What have your experiences been like?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Freedom is no good if people call you about important things. If you just need data and your life is all trivialities it’s fine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

shadow puppet of a posted:

Freedom is no good if people call you about important things. If you just need data and your life is all trivialities it’s fine.

so no then

I mean my life is mostly trivialities but when I get a call I need for it not to drop out. Thanks for the heads up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

I've been with Fido for 4 years after dumping Bell, and was just offered 90 gigs for $55/mo. By comparison, I currently have an 11gig plan (which I never get close to using) and pay $51 (56-5 credit month). Of course though, this new offer would nuke my credit.

So I call them and say look, I don't need a gently caress off huge amount of data, and I want to pay less. What your offers are online aren't even competitive with what you offer to new people (no access to 5G being a thing as well) and they responded with vOv

So now I have my eye on the Freedom 50 gigs US-Can for $34 and I'm wondering how dependable their service is, especially through the mountains? Their coverage map shows decent amounts but likely slower connectivity which, fine. They also seem to have very restricted 5G coverage at this point. What have your experiences been like?

Admittedly, i haven't used them in eight years, but I'd just like to say that i switched away from them because they weren't even reliable in the *city*. I couldn't imagine trusting Wind's infrastructure in the sticks unless it's been fully replaced by Shawgers own kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Yeah I also ditched Wind/Freedom mobile circa 10 years ago because their reception wasn't great in the city. Much happier with the slightly more expensive (and sometimes not even if you find a deal) flanker/budget brands owned by the Big 3.