Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Are the GNexus' sold by the carrier locked to the carrier? Are only the ones bought online unlocked?

I've got a ton of fido dollars but I want to make the jump over to Koodo so my plan is to buy a Nexus and port my number over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

dahkren posted:

Are the GNexus' sold by the carrier locked to the carrier? Are only the ones bought online unlocked?

I've got a ton of fido dollars but I want to make the jump over to Koodo so my plan is to buy a Nexus and port my number over

You're going to have to get it unlocked. The only phones that have a chance of working with Koodo are phones from telus.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I asked when I ordered mine and they said it would come unlocked.

e: Nope, I'm locked in. I can now add "provided false information" on the list of charges I can put against my one month hell with Fido

Migishu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 28, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
All Galaxy phones are supposed to come unlocked.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Lone Rogue posted:

Nexus you mean.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lexicon posted:

Nexus you mean.

you might be correct, I just find it odd that my Telus S2 came unlocked.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Lexicon posted:

Nexus you mean.

I was under the impression that the Nexus phone was supposed to come unlocked but apparently not?

If I buy a phone from Telus, will it be usable on Koodo without getting unlocked? Or should I just order a Nexus from the Play store, that would work right?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Even if it was locked the process of unlocking literally takes one click of a program.

vesper
Jun 24, 2006

Ooooh, shiiiiiiny.

Cacator posted:

I just changed my plan to the Telus equivalent and have to say I'm impressed with how easy it (ultimately) was. I bought an S3 a few weeks ago and tried to change it in store but they said I was too late, and I wasn't able to do it online (fine print even says the promotional plan doesn't apply to rate changes), but once I called them they didn't have any problem with giving it to me.

I changed two of our plans to the Telus promo voice/data 65 plan too - one had been recently renewed with a hardware upgrade at the end of June and customer care did it no questions asked when I called in about it. The other one was renewed back in 2011 and they didn't give me any grief about changing it, although they did have to have a retention/loyalty agent make the exception for the change.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006

Eej posted:

Even if it was locked the process of unlocking literally takes one click of a program.

Yeah? I'm only slightly familiar with the unlocked of iPhones, but from what I understand you have to re-do a bunch of stuff every OS update? Is it easier on the Nexus?

Would buying it from Google unlocked be a better plan or is the unlocking kind of a one shot deal. I have enough Fido dollars to get the phone at the same price as it comes from the play store but I'm more than happy to just let those fade into dust if it's a hassle everytime the OS updates.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Actually I just double checked for you, the GNexus is unlocked for any carrier and it's a pentaband phone so it works on any Canadian network (even Wind/Mobilicity).

Also since it's a Nexus phone there are usermade programs that will unlock and let you install any new OS whenever you want. As in, you don't have to re-do anything if you want an OS update aside from download the newest one and flash it. The Galaxy Nexus is literally the easiest phone you can get to customize.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so now I get to tell my story. My story of how I can prove that Canada has what I consider to be the worst mobile service in the world.

It all started off on July 2. After considerable thought, I chose to go with Fido, you know, before they cancel per-second billing. Figured they may be the cheapest option for me to go with for what I wanted (unlim text, some data), which ended up being about $30/m (gently caress you Canada).

Call the agent up, ask her if she can do something for me over the phone rather than picking one up from the store (which turns out to be my biggest mistake). She says she can give me an extra credit on my account for some stupid reason blah blah blah whatever. I ask her to make the order and to get my phone shipped out Galaxy Nexus).

3 days go by and I don't have a tracking number. Turns out, the agent didn't put my CC details into my account to bill me for the phone. Alright, poo poo happens, people make mistakes, get it done. He says that if I want the service to start now, to get a SIM from a Fido store and activate it. So I've at least not been without a phone for the past month.

5 days go by and still no tracking number (calling up almost every day as well), after which this is my only notification that the phone won't be shipping out until after the 20th July. I finally got confirmation recently that the phone that it was out of stock. So almost 2 weeks after I order the phone, they only then tell me its out of stock. I was able to walk away with my first month free, so not too bad there for their incompetence. The agent then tells me that if I don't have my tracking number on the 20th, to call back.

So I did. I should've called it quits here. I should've realized that any long term gains from this wouldn't be worth it. So I call up, and the agent doesn't know where it is. I ask if I can pick one up from a store, and they said yes. I go to a Fido store, and they say "no, you're locked out, you haven't been with us for 90 days". I call back and demand to speak to customer relations, who then informs me "your phone was never ordered in the first place".

So I've been calling up almost every day for the past 3 weeks, and no one had even noticed that a phone has never been ordered for me. 3 weeks of speaking with about 9 or 10 different people and having them all play around within my account, no one even saw that I did not have a loving phone on order. She also saw that no one bothered adding my credits to my account, so she went ahead and did that. Orders the phone, tells me I should see something by Tuesday, if not, call back.

So I do, and they then tell me that I should have one around August 8, not this week. I demand to speak with a supervisor, and she said she'd follow up with me over the week, and that she's requested some sort of rush be made out.

That rush? I get the phone on Friday. I can tell immediately that it's not a new phone, as it comes in a zip-lock bag that doesn't even fit the phone in it. I plug the phone in to charge.... to find it losing battery power an hour later. The phone doesn't charge. Now, I know there are some problems with Galaxy Nexus phones being somewhat DoA, but I can't help but feel they hosed up and sent me a known broken phone that was returned.

The final nail in the coffin is the Fido store refusing to do anything about it because they're all loving franchise stores, not corporate. Them also telling me the phone's locked (even when every other provider is unlocked by default for the GNexus) didn't exactly make me happy, especially after they told me that it was when I originally ordered the phone back on the 2nd.

I'm done. I'm loving done with this goddamn company. I'm returning the phone and telling them to shove it up their loving assholes. I've been overly patient, and their horrible service has just broken me. I've lived here for 8 years, and only within the past 2 years have I even needed a mobile phone, and only now have my needs increased, but this was certainly not what I was expecting.

I'll be searching other options. Most likely going to go with Virgin Mobile (since they're really the only other good option in Montreal). I did, however, walk away with a few lessons:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if something fucks up, they can fix it in store.
2: There is such a thing as being too patient.
3: Don't let customer service dick you around.
4: Don't sign up for a loving contract, you'll be better off
5: gently caress Fido
6: gently caress the Canadian mobile phone system

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Migishu posted:

Jesus, your story sounds awful, but this most of all :(

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Migishu posted:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if

This cannot be overstated. DON'T loving DO THIS. It seems a lot of goons order phones online or over the phone but for the love of God go to a store you drat shut-ins. I've dealt with people who've ordered phones over the phone and if your phone is hosed or if they make a mistake it's an absolute nightmare to get it fixed.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

OilSlick posted:

This cannot be overstated. DON'T loving DO THIS. It seems a lot of goons order phones online or over the phone but for the love of God go to a store you drat shut-ins. I've dealt with people who've ordered phones over the phone and if your phone is hosed or if they make a mistake it's an absolute nightmare to get it fixed.

Contract over the phone is the only way to deal with retentions though, right?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Contract over the phone is the only way to deal with retentions though, right?

Oh, sorry, I meant NEW contracts, ones that would involve them sending a phone to you. Yeah, retentions over the phone is the only way to do it for the most part, and there's usually no harm in dealing with them and then picking up your phone at a store.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Migishu posted:

Ok, so now I get to tell my story. My story of how I can prove that Canada has what I consider to be the worst mobile service in the world.

It all started off on July 2. After considerable thought, I chose to go with Fido, you know, before they cancel per-second billing. Figured they may be the cheapest option for me to go with for what I wanted (unlim text, some data), which ended up being about $30/m (gently caress you Canada).

Call the agent up, ask her if she can do something for me over the phone rather than picking one up from the store (which turns out to be my biggest mistake). She says she can give me an extra credit on my account for some stupid reason blah blah blah whatever. I ask her to make the order and to get my phone shipped out Galaxy Nexus).

3 days go by and I don't have a tracking number. Turns out, the agent didn't put my CC details into my account to bill me for the phone. Alright, poo poo happens, people make mistakes, get it done. He says that if I want the service to start now, to get a SIM from a Fido store and activate it. So I've at least not been without a phone for the past month.

5 days go by and still no tracking number (calling up almost every day as well), after which this is my only notification that the phone won't be shipping out until after the 20th July. I finally got confirmation recently that the phone that it was out of stock. So almost 2 weeks after I order the phone, they only then tell me its out of stock. I was able to walk away with my first month free, so not too bad there for their incompetence. The agent then tells me that if I don't have my tracking number on the 20th, to call back.

So I did. I should've called it quits here. I should've realized that any long term gains from this wouldn't be worth it. So I call up, and the agent doesn't know where it is. I ask if I can pick one up from a store, and they said yes. I go to a Fido store, and they say "no, you're locked out, you haven't been with us for 90 days". I call back and demand to speak to customer relations, who then informs me "your phone was never ordered in the first place".

So I've been calling up almost every day for the past 3 weeks, and no one had even noticed that a phone has never been ordered for me. 3 weeks of speaking with about 9 or 10 different people and having them all play around within my account, no one even saw that I did not have a loving phone on order. She also saw that no one bothered adding my credits to my account, so she went ahead and did that. Orders the phone, tells me I should see something by Tuesday, if not, call back.

So I do, and they then tell me that I should have one around August 8, not this week. I demand to speak with a supervisor, and she said she'd follow up with me over the week, and that she's requested some sort of rush be made out.

That rush? I get the phone on Friday. I can tell immediately that it's not a new phone, as it comes in a zip-lock bag that doesn't even fit the phone in it. I plug the phone in to charge.... to find it losing battery power an hour later. The phone doesn't charge. Now, I know there are some problems with Galaxy Nexus phones being somewhat DoA, but I can't help but feel they hosed up and sent me a known broken phone that was returned.

The final nail in the coffin is the Fido store refusing to do anything about it because they're all loving franchise stores, not corporate. Them also telling me the phone's locked (even when every other provider is unlocked by default for the GNexus) didn't exactly make me happy, especially after they told me that it was when I originally ordered the phone back on the 2nd.

I'm done. I'm loving done with this goddamn company. I'm returning the phone and telling them to shove it up their loving assholes. I've been overly patient, and their horrible service has just broken me. I've lived here for 8 years, and only within the past 2 years have I even needed a mobile phone, and only now have my needs increased, but this was certainly not what I was expecting.

I'll be searching other options. Most likely going to go with Virgin Mobile (since they're really the only other good option in Montreal). I did, however, walk away with a few lessons:

1: Never order a contract or phone over the phone (this should've been a given to me, but I have to learn it the hard way). Get it from the store. At least if something fucks up, they can fix it in store.

Ouch.

I've been with Virgin since December and I've never had a bad experience. I bought my SII at a mall kiosk and the staff was pretty helping and friendly.

A month into it I called to add a feature to my plan and the rep I spoke with actually showed me a better option which ended up saving me $40 a month on data.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Migishu posted:

Whelp, you story sucks to be sure and Fido's CS has taken a definite nosedive since being bought by Rogers. However, service from the big three sucks pretty evenly so choose your poison, really.

Personally, I've been with Fido for more than 10 years now and I've never had a problem even close to the magnitude that you had. The only thing that came close for me was a franchise store not wanting to give me a phone despite having my order number and CSR number on hand. That was fixed in less than 24 hours.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

dahkren posted:

I was under the impression that the Nexus phone was supposed to come unlocked but apparently not?

If I buy a phone from Telus, will it be usable on Koodo without getting unlocked? Or should I just order a Nexus from the Play store, that would work right?

I know it's been confirmed earlier in the thread, but to confirm confirm, I bought a Galaxy Nexus from Telus and have been using on Telus, TMobile in the USA, and Vodafone in the UK. So it is indeed unlocked and pentaband.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I should also mention somewhere in my story that I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. The guy put me on hold for 20mins, said that he's still waiting for a supervisor, put me on hold for another 20, then hung up. When I called back, apparently the supervisor did speak to me, as there were notes in my account, something about being hard to understand or something. I called them on that bullshit.

gently caress em, going with Virgin once I have money on my CC. I've already confirmed with the guy that I won't get a cancellation fee or anything like that, but I am going to double check, god knows they've hosed me over enough already, what's one more?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
You guys, Bell is so rad.
They released the official CTV Olympics app, so you can watch the games on your phone or tablet! Maybe on your sweet new JellyBean-running phone on that sweet sweet Bell 4G LTE network!

Bell Media Inc posted:

• Video cannot be played over a mobile network connection (3/4G, LTE), but an advertisement will still play.
• Video is not available on Android 4.1 JellyBean

:haw:

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

Scudworth posted:

You guys, Bell is so rad.
They released the official CTV Olympics app, so you can watch the games on your phone or tablet! Maybe on your sweet new JellyBean-running phone on that sweet sweet Bell 4G LTE network!

:haw:

gently caress Bell.
gently caress Bell.
and ummmmm gently caress Bell.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

• Video cannot be played over a mobile network connection (3/4G, LTE), but an advertisement will still play.
• Video is not available on Android 4.1 JellyBean

Ahahaha are you serious? Bell is so terrible they make Rogers look good.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I saw a Bell kiosk going up here this morning. I wonder if MTS and Bell's no compete agreement has run out.

e: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/31/bells-manitoba-hspa-network-going-live-on-august-1st/

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

no compete agreement

Sorry, what?

It disgusts me how much Canadian business is predicated on collusion.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 31, 2012

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I saw a Bell kiosk going up here this morning. I wonder if MTS and Bell's no compete agreement has run out.

e: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/31/bells-manitoba-hspa-network-going-live-on-august-1st/

It has, I've been training The Source and Bell employees for an August 1 launch. I think Virgin will be a week or two after as well. Virgin must be happy to get a phone newer than the BlackBerry 8100.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 31, 2012

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Migishu posted:

I had something very similar happen to me with Rogers. Its crazy how little they try to keep your business, even having a 10 year old account that's been credit card post paid since day 1 on a $70+ monthly.

I know its not available in Montreal, but I have had such a refreshing experience with Mobilicity. Sure you get no signal in pretty much any large windowless concrete structure (basement levels of low rise office buildings, small indoor shopping malls), but for $30/mo for unlimited everything all in, I'm honestly ok with it.

Its sad though seeing Koodo, Chatr and Solo prices going up. It pretty much means that the big three are done competing in the marketplace.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Hey OP, you might want to throw up something about the CCTS in the first post. They can help resolve certain types of disputes, especially if the service provider is in direct violation of the contract/whatever. It's free so if people are having a problem, at the very least its worth a shot and not a huge waste of time.

BafflerMeat
Mar 4, 2012

"I'M INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS OF INDIANS"
I've just moved into a new place in Hamilton ON, not incredibly familiar with the current market for super/smartphones but I've been reading up a bit on WIND and they seem pretty solid. Can anyone vouch for the speed/consistency in and around Hamtown and Burlington? That's where I'm mostly going to be.

I'm considering going for broke and buying a Galaxy S3 but it's a minimum 300$ on the Wind Tab, whereas Bell/Rogers have it for 159/169 on a 3 year contract. As someone who'd be buying his first supersmartphone I feel eerily like I'm just jumping for the newest and shiniest thing available. I've also got an eye on the Galaxy Nexus and the white person in me really likes the sound of the Huawei Ascend P1. Any advice on this appreciated, I'm not as familiar with Canadian cell service as I was.

Here's something for all those thinking about ordering their phone through a call center instead of in-store:
Don't. Just don't even. I worked in an inbound call centre for Rogers a few years back and I can safely say I've never seen such a maelstrom of nincompoopery and laziness. These people don't give a poo poo and are paid not to for as short a time per customer as possible. You're risking a lot going wrong, and not minute things, but poo poo like "I paid 400$ for an iPhone and received the Nokia GarbageBar 4X instead" to "My 933 year old Grandmother was sold a 3 year family plan for heavy voice and data usage after trying to get info on the phone with the big lettering." As previously stated by someone who probably knows more about this business than me: No accountability. Also, store staff are usually a hell of a lot more knowledgeable about features and deals.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

BafflerMeat posted:

I've just moved into a new place in Hamilton ON, not incredibly familiar with the current market for super/smartphones but I've been reading up a bit on WIND and they seem pretty solid. Can anyone vouch for the speed/consistency in and around Hamtown and Burlington? That's where I'm mostly going to be.

I'm considering going for broke and buying a Galaxy S3 but it's a minimum 300$ on the Wind Tab, whereas Bell/Rogers have it for 159/169 on a 3 year contract. As someone who'd be buying his first supersmartphone I feel eerily like I'm just jumping for the newest and shiniest thing available. I've also got an eye on the Galaxy Nexus and the white person in me really likes the sound of the Huawei Ascend P1. Any advice on this appreciated, I'm not as familiar with Canadian cell service as I was.

The S3 is going for that price because your monthly rate will be lower than what you would get from the big 3. On average, you'll be paying $30/mo less than you would be with rogers/bell/telus assuming you do more than 500mb of data a month. Ignoring interest and other real factors, the $150 difference still works out to less than $5/mo. Since you've worked in a call center with Rogers, you'll know how the phone is not part of the contract so whether you are subsidized or not has no bearing once you are on the mfg's warranty.

I'd go with the S3 over the nexus unless you are looking to play with custom roms. If you aren't the type to custom build and customize your PC, trick out your car, build an extension on your house or something similar, go with the S3 as it is a better phone, hardware wise (and battery life too).

You can check the wind subforum on howardforums for coverage information from other users. There are a fair amount of people posting there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
GNexus has Jelly Bean with Google Now by default, S3 will have some Touchwizzed version of JB with S-Voice.

Also if you get a GNexus on Wind and decide you don't like Wind, it'll work on any carrier in Canada since it's Pentaband.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Eej posted:

GNexus has Jelly Bean with Google Now by default, S3 will have some Touchwizzed version of JB with S-Voice.

Also if you get a GNexus on Wind and decide you don't like Wind, it'll work on any carrier in Canada since it's Pentaband.

The SGH-T999V with Wind is pentaband too. Once you get/buy an unlock code, it'll work on any carrier too. Software wise, yes, the nexus can be better since it doesn't have carrier specific bloatware or samsung's touchwiz UI. Hardware wise, the S3 is faster and has a longer battery life. It also has a micro sdhc slot supporting the sdxc spec for cards up to 64gb, while the nexus has the 16/32gb.

The difference is really up to you. Just swing by any store and take a look at the two (or if the local store doesn't have a mock up, any carrier will have both up on demo).

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BafflerMeat posted:

As previously stated by someone who probably knows more about this business than me: No accountability.

Reason: These companies don't record their calls. It's so they can get away with as much poo poo as humanly possible, without having any accountability for their actions. Something the CRTC (sic) should fix (that, and regulation, but like that will ever happen).

Got confirmation this morning that Fido received my phone, which means that all I need to do is call Fido and have them terminate my contract at the end of the billing cycle. I've already had customer relations write on the account "Does not have to pay any termination fees" on my account, just so they don't completely gently caress up and charge me $500 for the rest of the contract.

Once I call them up to terminate the contract, I'm free to port my phone number over to another provider. I'll probably end up going with Virgin since the girl in the store offered Voicemail/CallerID for $5 instead of $10.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Finally got around to trying to get Telus to match the Koodo 6GB super plan. The rep I spoke with matched the plan feature-wise but couldn't match it price-wise and wanted $67 before taxes.

Guess I'm moving on to Koodo!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My last day at WIND Mobile's call centre in Windsor. You folks are on your own from now on! :v:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

terriyaki posted:

Finally got around to trying to get Telus to match the Koodo 6GB super plan. The rep I spoke with matched the plan feature-wise but couldn't match it price-wise and wanted $67 before taxes.

Guess I'm moving on to Koodo!

Moving from Telus to Telus because Telus couldn't match the plan offered by Telus aw yeah

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

ante posted:

Moving from Telus to Telus because Telus couldn't match the plan offered by Telus aw yeah

My fiance works for Telus and I work for Koodo and you would not believe the differences and impossibilities that the same company has. Same company, two complete different philosophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Aww crap, koodo currently does not offer visual voicemail. :(

Oh well, small price to pay for a better plan at a cheaper price.

Telus is totally loving me over one last time though. Right before the koodo girl could port my number over, the telus network went down so I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs and using Starbucks' wifi like a chump.

Well played, telus. Well played.

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 1, 2012