Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress. Everyone in Canada is going to have their N5 before mine even ships!!

I've already returned mine back to Google for the rattling issue. And I've got an express checkout link for another one if I want it shipped immiately to me should I choose to use it.

Sorry, i shouldn't rub it in. But the good news is that the RMA process is smooth and the support folks are nice. There also is a Canadian LG repair/RMA centre in North york, which is the good news I came to post. It will make life easier for anyone getting repairs down the line and having to ship their phone to google on their own dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I tried to add 20gb/mo Premium Data to my phone plan as I was tethering for a while and they told me I cannot add anything else to my unlimited everything plan and quickly ended the call. They stopped wanting customers or customer money a while ago, they are like that i4i company that existed for ten years whose only product was a lucrative patent lawsuit against Microsoft. The last thing Mobilicity wants is to deal with customers and customer accounts.

I'm hanging on with them just because I'd like the idea that at some point the government will force an existing carrier to take them over and preserve the brand & plans under a bell jar.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

To anyone thinking of doing the 6 months free service Mobi to Wind port deal, let me re-assure you that Wind's coverage is as lovely as people are trying to tell you. I even looked at the map of towers before switching and confirmed that they were pretty much equal and in the same places. But lo and behold I only get a 3G connection at home. Which I don't care so much about as I have full wifi coverage, but I have no doubt I'll be leaving wind after this blissfull bill-less 6 months is up.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

RIP DAVE Wireless. You were a pretty good cellphone company.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I have always maintained that Lollipop is the Vista of phone OS's.

I somehow think a $1309 phone is reasonable in 2015. You'll use it a lot and Its like computers used to start at $1500 in the 90's. All that is old is new again. Someone out there has to pay to speed the phone industry towards market maturity. As long as its other people, I say kudos.

I like my android china phone because I can use it as a phone and for prying and jimmying.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm switching to 7-11 speakout because of my profoundly low call and text volume.

Is there there a good, cheap voip-type service that this thread recommends for use with an Andriod 4.1 phone that will work as a normal call-me-at-this-number service, and not an app-to-app type deal, that can also give me a Toronto number for when I do want to make long calls?

I presume that what I want is Skype, but you all might know of something that works better.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BGrifter posted:

Seems ridiculous to not offer the same package to retain my business.
When you wrote this I knew what was going to happen. Canadian phone companies invented the "Computer says no." method of customer service whereby you trying to help them help you is always met with impassive but total resistance. Just switch carriers, its what they want deep down. Like banks that used to give away ipods to any and all new customers that would add direct deposit but would only shrug if you up and left to another bank.

Its the wonderful logic-gate decision path reality of our MBA overlords who only make their bonus on getting new customers and does not care at all about current customers as that is not their department.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've completed my larval transition into cellphone parasite. $25 from 7-11 should last me a full year of receiving banking texts and opening my lobby door to pizza delivery guys for 25 cents a pop. I'm going to couple that with free wifi calls and texts through TextNow which gives me a free 647 number and the google Hangouts Dialer which lets me make unlimited outgoing calls from parts unknown.

At this point I am an accelerationist and I now only want to see the Canadian cellphone landscape get worse for my amusement. I may take up the hobby of writing consumer opinion letters on behalf of the big 3 to the CRTC so they'll have one single person to point to as confirmation that 'the public' would infact like to see the return of negative option billing and uk-style premium rate calling times.

Its a shame though that dual sim phones have no traction here. It would be nice to have a $15/mo unlimited-yet-slow HPSA/AWS data sim through Wind, but the market is too small and it would kneecap their profitability.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Calling it now. Videotron buys PetroCanada Wireless and McLean-Hunter comes back from the dead to buy PC Mobile.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DariusLikewise posted:

Already sounds like Shaw is going to accelerate the LTE roll out. I wonder if they will build up the network and market it across western Canada?
I look forward to it quickly coming out that Shaw wants nothing to do with Wind itself and is only buying them to access the low rate on the loan pool they just negotiated among the major banks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DariusLikewise posted:

Knowing Shaw they will probably cancel any upgrades planned, milk the current customer base as much as possible then loan as much money as possible against Wind's assets and give Brad Shaw a nice Christmas bonus.

Can you blame him though? Its not easy keeping up with the Lance Cogeco's and Jeffry Chatr's of the world.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Four Horsemen. But not in the Pestilence, War, Famine, and Death sense but in the Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard meaning. Rogers being Flair (Being the dirtiest player in the game and all) and Bell being Arn with Ole as Telus given their fake kinship in LTE partnership. Shawind gets the Tully role.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 17, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gotcha, that makes sense. I guess it's not Rogers being malicious, like I'd expect.

In Rogers' defense they've recently had to diversify into bringing malice to sports teams, sports broadcasting and all sorts of new avenues. They don't have the breadth of personnel to harm each of their division's customers all at once.

As soon as Shaw has finished gobbling up Wind though, I'm absolutely certain they are going to transfer over some ghoulish VP to raze a market no longer burdened with competition. They'll rename Mobilcity to Rogers Wireless Jr. and only let you call and text 647 and 437 numbers and cut data rates down to 3kpbs during school hours.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I wonder if Shaw's execs saw some market change on the horizon, like an understanding for secret permission of a merger of two of the big three, that forced them to overpay for a garbage carrier with a bad reputation and a customer base that is choc full of fee-avoiders and RFD-types.

Them overspending like Wind was the last Cabbage Patch doll makes me conspiratorial. What noise has Trudeau made about cellphones and foreign ownership?

Could this all be Shaw putting on a nice orange dress so It can be first to be bought out by a US giant in 7 years time?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

All three telcos also plan to weaken the attraction for bring-your-own-device plans by raising the price of base service.

In a sane country this alone would be basis enough to grind up these companies and start pulling spectrum away from them at legislative gunpoint.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there enough spectrum left to have a do-over on creating independent carriers again? Those were exciting times. The government should setup a new pack of losers.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hilarious. I cannot wait for two of the big three to merge and the population of Saskatchewan to swell with cellular refugees.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

RIP Mobilicity. I really liked them as a carrier, but oddball low building penetration spectrum was a death sentence.

So all that is left to be absorbed now is VideoTron, SaskTel, Eastlink & tbaytel and we can get on with the serious business of restoring The Bell Telephone Company of Canada total monopoly in the hopes of one day reverting our national phone network to pulse dialing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Canadian cellular is basically just playing a game of pricing & caps Jenga balanced on the forehead of a sleeping CRTC. The execs from each company take turns yanking away pieces, raising the stack and giggling while hoping not to be the ones that cause their racket to topple on this incredible decades long run they've had going.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

quote:

Premier Brad Wall suggested on Tuesday that any offer for SaskTel would need to cover certain criteria, including being able to eliminate the province's operating debt, which is currently $4.1 billion.

Well, they've begun to kick at the last chock holding back the runaway train of english Canada's phone plan pricing.

Once SaskTel is sold someone gets to buy Shaw and then Bell gets to buy whoever was dumb enough to do that.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

DocCynical posted:

I'm looking for a pay as you go data plan (haha I know it doesn't exist) for an iPad that is being used in a Square stand. It will only be used 2-4 times a year so I don't want a monthly plan I'll never use. I'm with Virgin and so far the best they offer is $5/month for 10 megabytes and when you use more they just bill you for it. I'm not really willing to pay 60 dollars per year (+$15 "activation fee") to the cocksuckers to give me nothing and then charge me for the privilege of using more than 10 megabytes.

I'm located in Alberta but will be visiting Saskatchewan if there is a *wink wink nudge nudge* deal there. I suspect I'm poo poo out of luck because why offer something useful when you can just continue bending the country over a barrel.

Pre-paid 7-11 Speak Out is $10 for 100mb within a 30 day window (and 10 cents/mb above 100) that you can switch on and off from the account management website. But you'd need to bother with maintaining a positive account balance, which does tick down at a rate of $1/month if you use the sim for nothing else.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Housh posted:

I'm going to try to get the MB plan next week. I have been happy with Virgin Mobile but I'm still paying more for way less. :canada:

You should try right now while you can. CBC released some odd article this morning making a big fuss over people stealing "prairie plans" and how its a dark underworld of potential fraud. Which I imagine means some weary reporter is trying to get a cushy job as a PR flack for a telecom by giving them a public-facing excuse for shutting down the practice under the guise of public safety.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A while ago I got an unlock code from these folks for my HTC piece of crap. It worked. They appear to have been in business for at least the last three years, which in the world of phone unlocking is probably akin to stretching back to roman times.

https://www.quickphoneunlock.com/unlock/

Here it says they do the Telus Note 3 for $19.99

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Guy that was pushed as being the one to make Rogers less of a lovely company to deal with was suddenly shown the door today.

I doubt they'll bother trying to get that message out again.

Look for new depths of shittyness to come. I'm hoping for negative option cellphone billing and the return of MacLean-Hunter as a sort of starched shirt & wainscotted brand of services tailored to the upper crust.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They want mostly data and 711 speak out is terrible for data. 1MB is a real billable increment in SpeakOut land, the land the 90's forgot apparently, and they best they can do is 10$ per 100mb.

Petro Canada prepaid might be better, $40 + a sim + $1.25 for 911 service gets you 1GB, 25 whole minutes of calling and unlimited texting. Easy to get started if they can find a gas station after crossing the border.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The inverse of this being I was looking for US phone service for two weeks and T-mobile just sold me a 3.99 sim for my AWS Wind phone that comes with 30 mins or 30 texts included and a gig of data is just $10 if I want to add that later.

Free shipping on that 3.99 sim too.

We live inside some sort of punishment zone level of cellular hell.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is there any coupon code that lets me evade the otherwise reasonable $5 fee for a PubMo simcard?

edit: Jesus Christ Redflagdeals

quote:

My question is if I could buy $100 of PM vouchers at SDM with a Tangerine CC as a drugstore purchase, earn 2/4% cashback, earn 1000 Optimum Points, load voucher onto PM account, and still earn autopay credit from the remaining balance?
Never change.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 2, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pivo posted:

4 gigs every 90 days tho, right? and you can't call an out-of-province number.

12gb every 90.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The plan is linked on pretty much every single page of public mobile's website. Maybe take a look.

And you can get unlimited $1 off referrals if you spam your code everywhere at your e-friends. And/or get $10 off per month for being an active poster in their forums.

Its pretty much custom made to be perfect for certain people.

I dont have an LTE phone at the moment or else I'd be on it before it is no longer available to new activations after Nov 20th.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Again, you were warned not to have problems porting because there is no support.

Its a poor carpenter who blames his total absence of tools or the unresponsive black hole he is allowed to pour his blame into.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You'll forgive me if I don't leap at the chance to pay at least $1237 for an android phone.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If you are a pretty lady I'd say they wanted to scrape your phone for nudes.

If you are a gross goon I'd say they'd still wanted to scrape your phone for nudes because WIND employees give me the creeps.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The nice thing about being on 711 speakout wireless is that the scammers and spammer know how much of a wastrel you are and don't bother contacting you.

And I look forward to Bell's invention of a $19.95 service addon that prefixes your incoming calls with a voice recording to 'Please do not scam this person you are calling"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Who would buy your plan and not just get a PubMo account themselves?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

PM is utterly hosed with influx logjam and nobody will have a smooth port in for a week.

They've also setup emergency in-store sim pickup depots at their downtown Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto Telus HQs this weekend because people must have been freaking out at them.

I hope it gets real messy and the other big two take it as further proof that Canadian customers don't really want lower prices.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Once they get enough customers they'll shut down the online support bulliten board software as it will be costing them too much money in hosting fees.

All future support will be sent and received via 5-digit sms codes.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dillbag posted:

Where is the Vancouver store? I can only find stores out east. Or can you get a SIM from Telus stores?

Vancouver
TELUS Garden
510 West Georgia Street
Vancouver British Columbia
V6B 0M3

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What an ugly, hasty re-branding. Vimpelcom must have really tried to pull some poo poo at the 11th hour to catch them that off guard on losing the brand name.

"What are we going to show the public?"
"Uh, I dunno, butterflies and teddybears?"
"Should they look harmonious in any way at all?"
"Absolutely not!"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Millow posted:

Ok thanks man. I'll try and return it.

I'd go with the "it wasn't unlocked" angle rather than the "i blindsided myself by buying a Verizon phone to use in Canada" angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thank you for doing your bit by loving a couple hundred dollars out of a Canadian telecom.

Sad that they'll use this specific case to get the CRTC to approve a new "Backfired Promotions Recovery" general levy added to all bills, but for one brief shining moment, we as a whole got one over on 'em.