Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

toe knee hand posted:

So... moving to Canada, have a Nexus S that I want to upgrade, don't use my phone much (50 minutes, 50 texts and 300MB of data a month or so). My best bet is probably to grab a discounted Nexus 4 and go pay-as-you-go, yea?

Prolly. Where are you moving to? Carriers can vary depending on province, here. Also, buy and get the phone before you leave, if you're in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I guess that's the power of marketing right there.

In part. If you're going to be paying a similar amount of money for your plan, though, I'd probably get a carrier One or GS4 or something over a Nexus 4, too, since the initial out of pocket is the same.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Screw paying you $25 just for a sim card, Wind. I really wasn't sure if my clumsy rear end could cut the sim down but it seems to be working.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tehloki posted:

No "fartsy" folder, Minus One.

I thought about it just for the post. It would be a good for for games. ;)

App Store won't be staying on the bottom bar; I literally just bought the phone Friday, and since it's my first iPhone, I'm using the App Store a ton while I figure out new things to download.

I don't really like the wallpaper I picked, though it isn't bad. It reminds everyone of Google stuff, haha. I figure I'll find something a little darker for it eventually.

Anyway I recommend everyone who needs a nanosim and would have to pay for one to try it - it was really easy.

E:

ante posted:

Is that what the new iOS looks like?

Is it marketed for four-year-olds?

Oh no, someone doesn't like bright colors. What're your thoughts on the voice of fire?

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of some of the icons but overall, it's a nice change.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 22, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Every time I've needed a new SIM from Wind I just walked into a store and they gave me one for free after verifying my account details.

gently caress, seriously? They were dicks to my spouse about it and insisted we pay the $25 despite requiring that we get the sim in order to roam out of the country.

thexerox123 posted:

Good god, I hate that painting. I remember going to the National Gallery at like 8 years old, being told how much that painting was purchased for, and even then thinking it was an absurd travesty. (Along with the exhibit that was there that was just a bungee cord stretched across a room.)

I only recently learned about it (I'm not Canadian) and while it seems a bit silly, it has appreciated in value so it seems the museum made a wise investment.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I have Wind because I can usually deal around KW and the 401 into Toronto. We did pick up a Rogers nano SIM for the iPad Mini though, just so we'd have access to data if we needed it outside the area or visiting the in-laws in the Maritimes. If it doesn't get used, it's only $5/month, so why not?

For all you spergs who just want data and no minutes, the iPad plan/SIM worked fine in my 5S.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm thinking about getting a simple dumb phone for my mom to replace her old Kyocera, which she hates. It needs to be super simple, and just make phone calls. Nothing else. I was thinking a Nokia brick, but it looks like everyone is only selling cheap android phones, and smartphone lookalike dumb phones. Any recommendations?

There are still dumb Nokia candybars you can buy. We picked one up a few months ago on a prepaid Fido plan for one of my in-laws.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

The general recommendation thread seems pretty US-heavy and since one of the phones I'm thinking about is the Moto X Play which seems to maybe not exist in the States (?) I will ask here.

I am looking for a phone for my mother. She does not currently have a smartphone but she has a Nexus 7 tablet which she is comfortable with.

She won't be using minutes/data a lot so I'm thinking Koodo prepaid will be best, so looking at buying something outright.

So the phones I'm pondering at the moment are the upcoming Nexuses (maybe $500+ if we're being honest about the exchange rate), Nexus 6 2014 (which is now $599 from Google), Moto X Play ($420) and last year's Moto X ($450).

Requirements:
-I want stock android on her phone for sure because she's familiar with that from her tablet and that's what I use (Nexus 4) so I can help her with it
-Minimum 5" screen, but bigger is better since she's accustomed to the tablet
-Came out within the last year

beyond that, performance not a big issue.

Are there any other recentish stock android phones (available in Canada) that I haven't mentioned that would also be options? And recommendations within the ones I know about, or good deals on currently? I know it's hard to compare the new Nexuses since they aren't out yet.

Honestly I'd go with a Moto G. Good performance, new, 5-inch screen, couple hundred bucks. My only concern with the plan idea is that she might get used to using it while out blow through if it's something that could eat up minutes without her realizing. An unlikely scenario maybe but worth considering.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

less than three posted:

Lollipop has data saver where you enter in how much is in your plan and it'll cut off data when you reach a limit of your choosing.

Good point!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

Moto G may be an option but I think she'd be willing to pay more for bigger screen and better-feeling build quality.

Some site I've never heard of has the Nexus 6 on for $489 so I think I'll wait for the new Nexuses and see if after they come out, other more reputable retailers knock the Nexus 6 price down too.

That's totally reasonable. I think you should check one out in a store, though, and see what you both think; I think they're a great deal in terms of performance and build for the price.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Might have sasktel? I dunno what plan does the 10 for 50, tho. gently caress do I want it.

I'm so unbelievably loving tired of winds shittastic network. I think I'm gonna try jumping onto the koodo plan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I assume it was just as easy as go get on cheap Koodo ontario plan, wait to switch to sk # online, switch to sk #, switch plan, then port in original # later?

I'm gonna get my SO to sign up for it since I don't have a SIN or anything yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We have Wind in London now (it was okayish in KW) and I'm at the end of my rope, it's just not great at all. I think I'm gonna try to get on that Koodo SK plan.

A real plus to Wind is if you travel to the US a lot, as it's only $15 for unlimited roaming there.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pivo posted:

My buddy tried to get the SKMB plan in a Best Buy in TO recently and they just laughed him out.

YMMV.

poo poo, you might save money overall by flying to Winnipeg for a weekend and getting it there. But don't go to Regina, it's a craphole.

If you look around online, it's recommended to just sign up for a cheap ON plan now, and swap online. It's just easier / quicker if you can get it in person.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hoooooollllllllyyyy shittttttttttt, Shaw's buying WIND.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/incoming/shaw-buying-wind-mobile-for-16-billion/article27791628/?click=sf_globe

press release: http://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=81295431&qm_symbol=SJR.B

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Like, I think this is probably a good thing; despite further consolidation, wind really needs the backing and support that a bigger player can provide. Just desperately hoping that it doesn't simply end up being the fourth option with all the same plans, now.

Also, gonna be slitting wrists over slow data for a while, yet:

"As WIND continues to reinvest in its network and service offering, including a scheduled upgrade to 4G LTE services by 2017"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Well, still gotta pass regulatory hurdles but I suspect they'll fly through - deal isn't expect to close til Q3 anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

They're not going to cancel any upgrades to the network just yet, because the deal isn't going to close until the upgrades are half done.

Pivo posted:

Anyhow so what will the name be now

Robeshus?
Rawbelus?
Roawbeus?
Robelawus?

I never was too comfortable with Bell getting three letters while the others get two.

I figured they got two and a half since L also applies to Telus.

And the right answer is Shrobelus, because it sounds like an evil lich queen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

McGavin posted:

This past week I switched from Mobilicity to Wind because Roger's data network is loving terrible, only to find out that Wind doesn't give me reception anywhere in my apartment. :suicide:

I finally nutted up and switched to the Koodo $48 SK/MB plan and ported my number over. :feelsgood:

Ahahaha what? Rogers' data network isn't terrible, though the part of it you use as a customer of Mobilicity (post-acquisition) might be. The two cannot remotely be compared, and Rogers' network is loving amazing compared to the awful shitshow that is Wind's.

Good to know the Koodo plan trick is still working; I'm going to try it when I get back home from holiday traveling.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I mean, WIND was less attractive as an acquisition target even just not that long ago, and only owning spectrum would have been difficult to roll out everything you need to start a mobile provider - this gets them the kickstart in terms of having a ready to go business.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

iLikeMidgets posted:

It's a current plan. Just renewed with an iPhone 6S.

Hateful.

I bet it's great, though; at my last job in the States I had a corp line with unlimited Verizon LTE and it was wonderful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, honestly I think this is a nonstarter. You get 200MB of data to use for all your needs, and VoIP for everything else; if you're going to do that you might as well get a Rogers bucket SIM for an iPad and just use that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

So is cell data only accessible when inside the app?

No, the data works like any other data plan, you're just limited to 200MB, including the VoIP calls and texts you make through the app.

Lexicon posted:

Does this work? I thought I read somewhere that they take technical measures to ensure that only "tablets" (:rolleyes:) can use SIMs with these data plans.

Yes, it works 100% fine. I'm not sure if they'll let you start the plan without an iPad, since I had to give them the number of the iPad, but I keep it in an old iPhone 95% of the time as an LTE hotspot. It's awesome.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

odiv posted:

Ohhh, I'm an idiot. I thought you meant just use the iPad. So what apps would people suggest for VoIP then as a replacement to mimic this Sugar Mobile thing?

I wonder what the cheapest data only is I can get up here. No Rogers.

I'm not sure about what VoIP apps you want to use (there are a million for texting, anyway), but both Bell and Telus offer the tablet data bucket plans, if that strikes your fancy. Couple bucks more than on Rogers, but still not a bad option imo (last time I checked was still 5GB for < $40).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Migishu posted:

Looks like Virgin, Fido, and Koodo, are doing their Unlimited/2gb Data for $40 plan again. Probably as a Canada day specialty.

Though it says for new contracts only, I'm fairly sure (as it's been done previously) if you call them and say "Gimme or I'll move" they'll comply.

Get in on it quick.

1gb for $40, 2gb for $50 isn't it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Haha I just wanted to make sure because I signed up for the $50 2gig plan last week. I can't tell you how good it feels to be done with loving wind.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Can't recall where I read it but I recall someone definitively saying that it would be bad network or switch to Rogers.

I might just bail on Wind. I don't really notice the throttling because the normal speeds are so bad.

Just 2 gigs tho...

E: to clarify that is that you have to stay with chatr or pay Rogers' absurd prices. You theoretically be able to keep your plan but I don't see them offering them to new customers.

I think winds suitability depends on location. In Toronto it's really good for the most part. In London tho it took me 20 minutes or more to upload a picture message.

I decided I'll just be better about using data; having lte is so worth it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It was the opposite for me, perfectly fine in Waterloo and unusable trash in downtown Toronto.

Haha it was always mediocre for me in KW, but there's a lot of variation that goes into it. It's definitely a plus in Toronto now if you take the subway for a long commute.

JoelJoel posted:

Wind is decent in and around Toronto but the speeds can range from decent (play a YouTube video with very minor loading at the start) to comically slow (several minutes to load comments on a forum app).

I'm torn because having used lte I know what I'm missing. On the other hand I average about 8 gigs a month and have never had a bill over 45 bucks.

To be honest it isn't even the LTE that I really appreciate, it's just the stability. I could have 5 bars of 3G and it would still be unforgivably bad. It was just so, so frustrating.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Any decent 3/4gb plans under $50, or am I still sticking with Wind at 5 for $30?
It's cheap and all, but speed and coverage is literally up and down on Adelaide, and Twitch is pretty much a no go.

Nope unless you're willing to lie on a contract and get a Manitoba plan from one of the big boys. Otherwise the current 2gb deal is your best bet until some once a decade sale pops along.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

If you live in downtown van or Toronto wind is fine. Everywhere is dog poo poo - and to the person praising wind for being faster than mobilicity, lollllll.

I've had wind since I moved to Canada (first in gta/kW, now in London). It has never been good, merely adequate for the price. I recently jumped on the 2gb koodo plan and it's just stunningly better.

The other bonus to wind is if you go to the states several times a month, their roaming plan is better than anything else in Canada.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Wind is fine if you're outdoors in a flat area with few obstructions and pretty much poo poo everywhere else unless you happen to be right beside a tower. I did it for a long time because it saved me literally thousands of dollars vs Rogers/etc but it was never "good". Any time I went indoors it just pooched. As soon as I could get that Koodo/SK plan I jumped ship and the performance is night and day.

Yeah a big problem for wind is that they couldn't afford enough towers and combining that with their high frequency spectrum, it means you get awful interior coverage everywhere just about.

It sounds dumb but I share a shopping list app with my spouse and having coverage in the grocery store has been really handy in case they want to add to the list while I shop.

I also just remembered the most frustrating issue I had with wind: I'd have like four or five bars of coverage and data would be at 2g speeds or less quite often (I know how slow that is and I'm not exaggerating) - even outside.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

How is the Telus Network? I'm actually tempted to get that deal.

For LTE, at least, it's identical to Bell's, as they jointly operate that network.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm still on the PM 12GB LTE/3 mos plan. I think at this point I'm down to paying $36 a month since I never need more than the 200 minutes or whatever it came with.

slidebite posted:

That is my understanding with Public bonus, is it's a 1-time.

ALTHOUGH, I got a 1GB bonus last month and now my acct says this so I dunno (the 2GB is my US roaming)

e: And like above, if anyone wants a Public referral, let me know. It supposedly gives you a $10 credit.

It's because they're all one-time permanent allotments. That means that you'll never start to use it until you go over your subscription data for the month. Whatever you don't use before your plan data returns is kept for the next time you run out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

What do you mean supported? Its not bad enough you have to take out 2 or 3 mortgages to get a phone now, you need to finance the loving watch too?

Simmer down, presumably they mean supporting the cell version, which requires carrier tomfoolery.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Any advancement beyond the rotary phone is heresy.

Honestly would just prefer to go straight back to telegraphs pls and thanks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Their website is awful but the service has been rock solid (which makes sense, considering it’s just bellus). I kind of want an excuse to switch but I can’t because I’m too cheap.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

So glad we're bringing minutes back.

Actually speaking of I recently reset my usage stats and noticed I've used 36 minutes in the past year. I had to buy a one-time package of 200 minutes to get out-of-province calling for $5, but I've never used any of it. I could wish public mobile had slightly better iphone support, but whatever. I sort of don't get their market strategy. For a while it really looked like they were prepping to move all their customers over to Telus / Koodo, but then they launched new sales and advertisements, so idk anymore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

pre-pay though. Also half the price of anyone else

late stage capitalism and exponential year on year profit expectations won't allow it

Yeah this is where I was going with it, it's just so friggin' cheap.

To be clear, I'm not at all complaining, just surprised. I know these days their new cheap plans seem to be speed capped, but even then.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

They can instead just keep unearthing more and more flanker brands. The only risk is delving too deep below "Lucky Mobile" and "Chatr" and risk waking a cellular balrog.

But surely', that would never happen.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

...along government subsidies to the end user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I’m in the market for an iPad and have been contemplating a cellular model (yes I know I can tether, but I’m on the road a lot and it would be nice to have it onboard)

Anyway I’m on a Telus EPP plan and you think it would be a simple matter of adding the sim to the account and paying a nominal fee to have it on the plan. Nope! They’re not even able to tell me if it’s possible, let alone what it would cost. Several phone calls and two store visits and nobody can confirm. “Tablets don’t seem to be enabled for your employer” is the closest I’ve gotten to an answer.

Jesus guys, this is your one job - extracting marginal revenue from existing customers

They did suggest I could switch to a “Peace of Mind Connect” plan, but that only works if I buy a tablet through them :(

I dunno if they still offer this but we keep a sim in an iPad on a rogers plan that's 5ish a month for /10megs /if we basically don't use it, going up to $35 if we use 5 gigs.

Also even if you don't use data, the cellular iPads are great because of GPS.