Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would love to switch to WIND but they don't offer service in my area yet :( They've said "coming soon" for the past year or so, so who knows.

Windsor, Kingston and Winnipeg should be this year around the fall if all goes right in testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WIND is getting rid of the Get Satisfaction forum.

You have no idea how happy this makes me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

mediaphage posted:

Are they going to have anything in its place?

Likely not.

They never had enough people to properly moderate it and even when we were keeping up, they shoved us into the phone queue's so we fell behind on everything including Community. Four people all week to handle Twitter, Facebook, e-mail and Community was too much.

They recently hired a group to help handle Facebook but they don't know WIND policies very well and have been making a lot of errors.

I'm out of there in two weeks so if you need any help on something, ask here. When I'm done there, ask questions on Twitter. Fastest way to get assistance.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

the talent deficit posted:

If I want to port a number from Rogers, should I cancel my Rogers account first, or setup WIND service first?

As rexelation says, do not cancel Rogers. We cannot port canceled numbers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Martytoof posted:

This might not be a question for this thread, but what is the legality of recording customer service calls (on my end) in Ontario?

You are not allowed to without the permission of the CSR which you usually will not get.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Martytoof posted:

Well, there goes that. Thanks anyway.

What you can do is ask them to email you a summary of the call and any/all changes they made to your account.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WienerDog posted:

It's not the cost of data roaming on Wind that pisses me off, it's the fact that you'll be stuck on a brain melting, slow rear end EDGE connection.

The network is quite new and limited. It ain't great and won't be great for a very long time.

You always have to keep in mind with WIND you're not dealing with a pre-built network.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Gunslinger posted:

Actually I wanted to ask you about that. I've had nothing but a great experience with Wind so far, fantastic coverage and data speeds have been good. My girlfriend though is over in Stoney Creek and lives in a small area within the coverage map that seemingly gets zero bars/signal. I'm convinced there is some sort of problem because its literally just a few streets that are close to some power towers and then full bars when you get away from them. I've tried filling out the problem area form a few times over the past few months but nothing has been done. Is there any method or process we should be doing to get this resolved or looked at?

The Network Builder is actually the best way to go. WIND actually plans network upgrades based on where the heaviest requests are. So just keep requesting it. Kick a friend to do it too.

Truth is, some of the towers we've put up are weak right now. There's a thousand factors for that. Honestly the system is to put up towers in new areas and then strengthen the signals after. So Stoney Creek isn't really as big of a goal unless people in Stoney Creek complain about the network.

So yeah, this is your best friend: http://care.windmobile.ca/Support/Network/Default.aspx

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Old Dirty Custard posted:

I tried Wind for a while but couldn't get any reception in north Oshawa near the college/university.

Colleges are notorious for bad signal even with the other phone carriers unless they put specific emphasis on having towers around the campus so just imagine why WIND would be even weaker.

It looks like this has been an ongoing issue that people have complained about for a while now and nothing's been done about it. I never got anywhere with their network builder. There was a fairly extensive thread about it on the Wind website but it looks like they got rid of the forums.

Ah yes, you guys. I'm sorry but you guys don't seem to understand the complexity and cost of network setup. Just reading the thread there was a ton of, "WHY ARE YOU GUYS SCREWING US OVER" posts. These things take time. Network updates are decided by demand on the Network Builder but that doesn't mean there's a quota and suddenly the company allocates money to send some techs out to boost your signal. It ain't like telling Bell your Internet is not working and expecting someone to come fix it.

The CSRs I dealt with at Wind were very rude and not understanding of my problem at all.

You get 14 days and 30 minutes to test out a signal in your area and see if the phone meets your needs. If it doesn't in that time you return the phone and wash your hands. I find too many people don't get this when it comes to WIND and just assumes we must have Bell sized networks. We don't. Might not ever.

Seriously, network signal is one of the most annoying complaints we get, right up there with people complaining about the fair usage policy on data or not reading their bill properly about pro-ration charges. And I completely understand why people would be unhappy with these things but that's why we have no contracts. It's a new service. It isn't where it needs to be yet. Some people are very satisfied and others are in areas that are still being strengthened. Cell phones are actually devices not meant to work indoors but due to public demand, every company in the world is expected to have signal strength to penetrate several layers of concrete wall. Bathe in the radiation, baby.

As for fair usage data, it's a new network and we're offering more data at a cheaper price than any of the other carriers unless you're jumping on a special limited time offer and we're not trying to make extra money off of you when you go over. We simply throttle.

There's a lot that WIND should just lay out for people in layman terms and make it very clear to people but if we did we would likely turn off most potential customers. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat about this stuff but people expect us to pay for their ignorance. When it's the Facebook Fan Day promotion I completely agree with people being pissed. When it's network issues on a network put up in 2010 and still growing or complaining that they can't use more than 5GB of data on a $40 plan my sympathy drains quickly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fair points but Wind Mobile is actively advertising the area as being a Wind Home zone when there's no signal there at all. Pretty much every other service provider gets SOME coverage in the area (like you go outside the building or whatever) but with Wind I always had to drive at least 1KM south of the college before I could make or receive any phone calls/texts. I'm sorry but in my opinion Wind is outright lying about covering an area they have 0 coverage in and that makes them lovely; especially after almost 2 years of that area being a "Wind Home" zone. Either fix the problem or mark the area as "planned expansion" until you get your poo poo together.

One of the biggest issues with how we sell cell phones and it's something I've tried to tell other people but the word doesn't really travel fast enough is that you never tell a customer you can get coverage in the WIND HOME zone. You tell them that those are the areas you can connect to the WIND network. There's a difference. I agree with people getting pissed because they were told the phone will work in this area in Ottawa but that's not the truth. The truth is, that's the area where the phone can connect to the network. If the signal strength is weak, it's weak. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And I know it exists where you're saying. Had a friend in Ottawa say it worked, just terribly.

I was pretty consistently lead to believe that the issue was known about and being worked on until it was too late for me to just quit; then I started getting these more realistic answers like yours. I'm sure it was just Wind employees trying to save face but I felt like I was lied to so I eventually I just reported them to the BBB and paid off my phone (and the folks at Wind and/or their collections agents were assholes about collecting that debt as well). Other than one girl in the retention department I got to talk to once the rest of the CSRs were assholes that barely spoke English (I heard the front line support is based out of Egypt now).

I absolutely loving hate the Cairo call centre. Hate them. Half of the work in Windsor is cleaning up after their mistakes, they treat customers like poo poo and there's nothing anyone can do about it because they somehow achieve higher QA scores than us and QA scores say nothing about actual customer service. Every person I hear from says they were rude and being rude on the phone is supposed to be an immediate red card. Unless they go through agents like toilet paper it's all a scheme to me to keep the Cairo centre open due to how cheap it is and how expensive it is to drop contracts.

The Philippines have been decent enough and for the most part I think the Windsor call centre is top notch. However since they sometimes forget to give out case ID numbers or give self serve options or close every case underneath the case they just made they get scored down and told they aren't working well enough even if the call they just had cleaned up a bunch of poo poo caused by the Cairo agent.

I could keep going about those miserable fucks. They make everyone else's job harder and they pull the company down. Front line support is Cairo, Phillipines and Windsor but they continue to toss Level one agents in Retail Support (several have quit because of it. They wanted to do L1 calls and the call centre told them it was move out of the department or leave).

Oh, and half of the agents hired for the WIND stores are loving terrible as well. I don't understand how this country could have a job shortage but WIND seems to hire nothing but absolute idiots for their stores.

All in all, sorry to hear you dealt with some lies or people smudging the truth to you and I wish there was more transparency. I just also wish customers would stop acting like WIND starts up and suddenly we're supposed to be just as well equipped as Rogers and Bell but cheaper. I dealt with the same poo poo when I worked at TekSavvy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Dark One posted:

Props to Koodo for rolling out Jelly Bean in a timely fashion. It took them months to ok ICS, but I got the notification for the 4.1.1 update this afternoon.

Koodo has zero control over updates.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Godinster posted:

This is completely wrong. There's a reason the Rogers Nexus doesn't have JB yet while others do.

Then I'm not sure how other companies do it because WIND has zero control. We're at the whim of Samsung, LG, etc. Unless there's money expected to change hands that we're not aware of.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fractal Cat posted:

I should have clarified, my partner's contract is up on the 2nd of August so they gave the 30-day notice to Fido, and was told by the CSR that if they ported their number that they would continue to have an account just no service. Now Fido sends them a bill today for the last month, and a 100 dollar early termination fee for both voice and data.

So basically the CSR told the truth but not what you wanted to hear.

You still have an "account" with Fido but the moment you remove the phone number, you no longer have service and it's the *service* why you have a termination fee. Your name and information still exists with Fido but your account is not the same as your phone service.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
All Galaxy phones are supposed to come unlocked.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lexicon posted:

Nexus you mean.

you might be correct, I just find it odd that my Telus S2 came unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
My last day at WIND Mobile's call centre in Windsor. You folks are on your own from now on! :v: