Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Looks like the telus team webstore has refurb iphone 4 for 250 without contracts. Thinking of jumping on that instead of buying used from some shady guy on craigslist.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm actually in Vancouver (and near Mount Pleasant) too. And I'm currently on rogers. Hmm, I'll shoot you a PM/craigslist e-mail if I decide to go that route.

As far as I know, telus employees get some sort of perk if I order with their webstore login - I found one with crafty googling, but I'd prefer the perk go to a goon. Please PM me if you have one.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

In the near future, I'll be traveling during the weekends to the Southern Ontario area and would like to keep a pre-paid phone on-hand that will work there. I'm American so I'm clueless to the Canadian telecommunications providers (although I have heard how bad they actually are). My purchasing location options are a Rogers store and a Walmart just across the border. Here's what I'm looking for:

• A dumb phone with a pre-paid plan that has coverage in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet areas
  • The ability to add minutes and not have to worry about them expiring for as long as humanly possible when the phone is left unused
  • Hopefully not get charged out the rear end if I have to make calls to the USA

I have Virgin Mobile USA now and it's been fantastic. However, the phone is pretty much a paperweight once I cross the border unless I stumble upon free Wi-Fi access. Even then I can't make calls unless I get some VoIP service but I really don't want to bother with that. I think it would be easier to just keep a pre-paid Canadian phone on the side when I travel but maybe I'm wrong.

Last I checked, rogers, 7 eleven, petro canada, and wind are the ones with 365 day expiry on prepaid credits, although that only applies to $100 top ups.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If you're looking for a landline replacement, why not freephoneline.ca? Permanent number, and voicemails show up as audio attachments in your e-mail inbox. You can call out and receive calls through your computer too.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

I am trying to find a new phone plan and phone, and the lack of options is driving me crazy.
I currently have the $25 plan from Fido, with voicemail addon. It comes to $48 a month. I don't have a contract, and never have had one as I have always bought unlocked phones. I have about $250 fido dollars in my account. If I have to, I will sign a 3 year contract.

I have an HTC Desire now, but after 2 years and several drops, it doesn't work very well.

I want to upgrade to an HTC One S or a Galaxy 3s, as well as get a data plan.
I just about never talk on the phone, but I text a lot.
I am trying to find minimal talk minutes, unlimited text, data above 500mb (although I have no idea what my usage will be like) and voicemail, but no one seems to have anything suitable that isn't $70/month plus tax, which is too much.

I am considering using WIND, but I am worried that I won't get the coverage I need. I am a musician and play out of the GTA regularly, and don't want to get hit with roaming fees, especially if I need to use the data to look something up online.
The Rogers 6/gb promotion seemed decent, but it doesn't have voicemail, which means I have to pay even more.
The only data plan Fido offers on 3 year contracts is 500mb.

Maybe you could consider prepaid?

With Fido, unlimited text is $10, 500mb is $25 (5 cents/mb afterwards), and voice mail is charged at voice rate of $0.30/minute. If you really don't talk that much, then your monthly bill will be around $35.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The telus policy seems more reasonable - be on a postpaid plan for at least 3 months, account in good standing, $50.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think 7-11 speakout has 365 day expiry for any top up amount.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

OilSlick posted:

I've been hearing conflicting reports, but that thread seems to make it pretty clear that there are no third party unlocking capabilities for anything past the 3GS?

I'd like clarification myself, as one of my coworkers (who is quite knowledgeable in many aspects) swears on his life that his buddy can unlock iPhones (although admits he has no clue how he does it) and his father is using an unlocked 4S.

Just look up <carrier> iphone IMEI unlock on eBay - it's like $60 for a permanent factory unlock.

It's still unclear to me how they manage it, but it works - I had an AT&T iphone unlocked this way for like $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What's the point of using a GV number in Canada though - wouldn't people calling the number be charged long distance rates?