Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Macys posted:

I live in one of Wind's unlimited service areas (London :banjo: ), and I haven't had any problems with the reception so far, using my cheap & lovely Huawei.

I gotta say though, Wind stores are more no-frills than... NoFrills.

They're so bare and ghetto, you'd swear it was some front for acquiring your personal info, rather than a new and (hopefully?) growing phone service provider.

Odd. They're pretty nice in Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm in a suburb of Vancouver and am in the "planned expansion" area :(

White Rock/Pitt Meadows are marked as expansion but there is currently service there.

They're pretty conservative with their map now, compared to before where they'd suggest service but it'd be spotty. My parents house is a decent distance from the coverage map, simply Away (with no planned expansion) but I get 4 bars there.

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 26, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Misanthrope posted:

I'm pretty much local to Calgary 95% of the time, but if I do travel I wouldn't mind being able to take the phone without having to fear about some massive roaming/data charge on my bill... if I went with Wind, can someone give me an idea how bad the Rogers roaming charges would be?

Are you on a Koodo long distance-included plan?

WIND's roaming rates are basically equal/lower than basic overage/long distance rates from the big three.

20c/min voice
15c/msg text
$1/mb data

If you set your phone to disable data roaming, the amount you save on WIND easily surpasses the few roaming calls/texts you send. I'm paying $40 instead of $80 now, and do like $1/mo roaming in Vancouver.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Misanthrope posted:

Thanks for the breakdown.

So the $1/mo roaming you do in Vancouver, is that because you hit a dead spot and it switches to the Rogers network?

My roaming is done occasionally in North East Abbotsford, where WIND doesn't advertise coverage. I do get 3 bars there on average, but sometimes it turns off for a bit and I have to use Rogers. I assume they're configuring towers in the area or something.

In Vancouver/Burnaby/New West proper where I usually am, I never do any roaming.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

I seem to recall hearing that some American carriers charge to receive texts and that was one of their original ways to "justify" the whole thing. I never actually checked to see if it's true but even if it is it's no less bullshit.

At one time the carriers switched from 15c/sent message to 10c/sent 5c/received. Note this kept prices the same, splitting it between the two customers. In Canada they just added a 15c/receive to the 15c/send, essentially doubling the rate.

That was a few years ago, though. Now US carriers charge to send and receive just like Canada.

But who needs PPU when you can get 500 daytime, unlimited E+W, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, 2GB data, Caller ID/VM/forwarding for $49.99 (Or same w/unlimited voice for $59.99) :suicide:

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goddamn posted:

What do you guys think of Primus? (and/or Searsconnect, looks like pretty much the same thing) Seems like a budgety Rogers re-seller, though that does mean that bullshit service fee. I'm mostly curious about their unlimited web browsing add-on since it's cheap.

If anyone knows of any great deals for the Montreal area, please inform me. I'm stuck finishing up a reeeally lovely 3-year Rogers contract (like I doubt retention could even change enough to make it on par with budget plans) until this Fall because I was :saddowns:.

What are your specific needs for voice. Smartphone or feature phone? What price range are you looking for?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Goddamn posted:

Depends on what's a good deal I guess, I haven't used a smartphone yet but it'd be nice if there was a good thing going for that. I'm married and mostly use voice to talk to my husband, he mostly uses it for that and his parents. It's a kind of chicken and egg thing though, we kind of fell into that because our plan is crap. We text here and there. Having voicemail and/or caller ID is pretty important for me, and it'd be great to be able to look poo poo up on the internet whenever, as long as it doesn't mean paying ridiculously more than I would be otherwise.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/mobile/mobile-plans/infinite-urban-zone-plans/infinite-urban-zone-data
$45 for unlimited voice, 500mb data, call display/VM, 125 messages.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/mobile/mobile-plans/infinite-urban-zone-plans/all-inclusive-infinite-urban-zone
$50 unlimited talk/messaging plus call display/VM.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone tried the prepaid phones/service they offer at 7-11? I rarely use the phone, so I'm thinking prepaid might be the way to go, since buying something like 100 minutes for $25 could last me for months.

It uses Rogers, so if you're fine with mediocre urban service and lovely rural service, go for it. That's really the only downside.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

A Jupiter posted:

I'm about to get a new phone in the next month, and was just about to take the advice from the Android thread to buy a Galaxy Nexus from Google Play, and then I realised I lived in Canada.
Does anyone know if WIND's Galaxy Nexus is different from all the other ones. I assume it's the same since the one from Google Play is compatible with WIND.

P.S. If anyone has anecdotes of WIND in the Waterloo area that's great too.

Yeah, no reason not to get the WIND one on the tab.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
What carrier?

Honestly all the reference numbers and CYA doesn't matter, if they gently caress it up you'll be blamed for it and you'll be on a painful trek to fix it.

For Bell, I wouldn't touch the plan, only features.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Rogers you have to be the most careful of the three carriers, they love to renew your contract if you sneeze in the general vicinity of a plan brochure.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Brekelefuw posted:

I am trying to find a new phone plan and phone, and the lack of options is driving me crazy.
I currently have the $25 plan from Fido, with voicemail addon. It comes to $48 a month. I don't have a contract, and never have had one as I have always bought unlocked phones. I have about $250 fido dollars in my account. If I have to, I will sign a 3 year contract.

I have an HTC Desire now, but after 2 years and several drops, it doesn't work very well.

I want to upgrade to an HTC One S or a Galaxy 3s, as well as get a data plan.
I just about never talk on the phone, but I text a lot.
I am trying to find minimal talk minutes, unlimited text, data above 500mb (although I have no idea what my usage will be like) and voicemail, but no one seems to have anything suitable that isn't $70/month plus tax, which is too much.

I am considering using WIND, but I am worried that I won't get the coverage I need. I am a musician and play out of the GTA regularly, and don't want to get hit with roaming fees, especially if I need to use the data to look something up online.
The Rogers 6/gb promotion seemed decent, but it doesn't have voicemail, which means I have to pay even more.
The only data plan Fido offers on 3 year contracts is 500mb.

Koodo has 100m, 7pm E/W, CDP/VM, unlimted messaging and 2GB for $55. If you really use no minutes you can chop $5 by going to 50 anytime minutes. Long distance is included for both.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

terriyaki posted:

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad and it's slightly better than my 200 local minutes, unlimited text, caller id, vmail 3 and 6GB through Telus plan for $65 + tax.

My contract is up in December, hmm.. I think I'll try calling in tomorrow.

Koodo's network is exactly the same as Telus/Bell's right?

Yes. Koodo is just Telus in disguise.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

D C posted:

I found it as an additional option for the big 3, I travel too much to go on one of the new companies.

Koodo is Telus and has nationwide long distance.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kolta posted:

Way back when I use to work for Bell they had an add on that wasn't charged to the account and would auto credit border city roaming. Maybe they got rid of it or maybe your friend can just call and ask if it's available in his province, because from what I could remember not all border cities were eligible for the add on.

The feature was for CDMA devices only.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The competition bureau is suing the Big Three for $10 million a piece for misleading customers over premium text messaging services.

Drop, meet bucket.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

the talent deficit posted:

I'm going to switch from Rogers to WIND, is there anything I need to know about porting my number? I'm assuming I have to call Rogers after and cancel?

Nope. After you port Rogers will cancel you and try to bill you for 30 days additional service. (If you notify them in advance you'll be porting you can complain to the CCTS about the practice.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

teethgrinder posted:

Ugh. Anyone know much about using (unlocked) Canadian phones in the US?

I have to deal with three guys wanting to buy pay-as-you-go cards there. I'm pretty sure the Rogers Samsung S2 LTE will only operate on AT&T.

The Rogers Samsung S3 will probably run on anything. I can't find a good pay-as-you-go + data plan though.

The one I'm not clear on at all is a Virgin iPhone 4. Googling it brings up lots of people trying to use Virgin USA phones in Canada, but not vice-versa.

edit: looks like Verizon will work. All good.

HSPA devices from Canada will work on AT&T (3/4G) and T-Mobile (2G, 3G in some areas)

They will not work on Sprint or Verizon.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
For anyone who's in the market for a new phone!

Google's basically subsidising their new Nexus 4 phone to get it out there.

Great specs and unlocked pentaband HSPA+, so it'll work on all carriers including WIND and Mobi.

$309 for unlocked 8GB, $359 for unlocked 16GB.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lexicon posted:

For Christ's sake. They deal with this poo poo day in and day out. Should be a well oiled machine - particularly with all that money Canadians throw at them. :bahgawd: Rogers

"They" meaning Rogers as a company does it day in day out. In reality you have a bunch of call centre employees who don't give a gently caress, high turnover and a constant looming of YOU'RE NOT MAKING ENOUGH NEW SALES that they really couldn't care less if it is done properly.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

The Nexus 4 is higher spec'ed than either of those phones except memory. It won't have expandable memory.

Storage. :eng101:

The Nexus 4 has 2GB of RAM, double the S3's 1GB.

Full comparison here: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=5048

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Koodo will give you 500mb prepaid for $25.

http://koodomobile.com/en/bc/plansandboosters.shtml

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

I decided to actually read the OP, and checked out Telus, Bell, and Rogers.

First of all, holy poo poo you guys have got it bad, especially for prepaid. Prepaid just gives you the right to use minutes, and the minutes are really expensive.

Telus and Bell both want to charge out the rear end for data, but Rogers charges a "reasonable" $45 for 500MB of data, which would be enough for two weeks (that's usually what I use per month in the glorious homeland :911:), but the footnote says it's only for social networking?

gently caress, ignoring data, what would I do if I just want a burner phone so someone can get a hold of us in an emergency/if we have an emergency?

Bell/Telus/Rogers hate prepaid clients and would rather they just fall off the face of the earth. Look at Koodo as posted above, or WIND where you can get 50mb for $5.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
You get Koodo at least.

Also WIND is lighting up Victoria right now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just tried with a Vancouver number and it didn't work. :(

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

How the gently caress do the people in Regina have LTE and us here in Winnipeg have poo poo, loving goddamn Rogers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada's glorius, reliable, Captive Market network.™

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 24, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, you're right. I have corrected my error.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

Also not trying to be a dick or anything, but GVoice is still working great on my Wind phone. They must be testing a rollout for soon, or something.

Are you using a 403 number?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
An unlocked 3/3gs/4/5 will work on everyone except WIND/Mobi/Videotron.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any way I can get my American Google Voice number to redirect to a Canadian cell phone? I'll be travelling and it would be nice to have my existing GV connect to the phone number I'll have in Canada.

Only if it's a 403 number. And then only maybe.

Depending how long you'll be gone, you can get a Callcentric DID for like $5 plus 4c per minute.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also file a complaint with the CCTS. It can't hurt.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

So what's the deal with Orascom buying out the rest of Wind? An article on the Globe speculates about a possible sale to Rogers. I know "industry sources" doesn't necessarily mean much, so does anyone have any insight?

Full article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/buyout-of-wind-mobile-exec-changes-telecom-climate/article7514399/

This combined with Rogers trying to buy Shaw's LTE spectrum would give them control of basically the entire 1700mhz spectrum. :byodood:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The CCTS draft wireless code is done.

http://consultation.crtc.gc.ca/read-draft-code

A few nice gestures such as a cap on roaming and devices must be offered an unlock after 30 days, plus clarity on additional fees and a limit on termination fees. Nothing about contract length.

The top 100 liked comments on the draft are all variants about the 36 month term.

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

Is there any likelihood of this being implemented, or is it basically just a wishlist by an organization that represents concerned consumers?

Also, it seems like it'd be hard to get telcos to agree to this. They'd probably be able to successfully argue that some of the terms of this draft would allow for easy fraud, particularly allowing to stop charges when a customer's phone is lost or stolen. Don't feel like paying your bill? Just call up your provider and tell em that your phone was "stolen". I think they'll find a way around not billing you while your phone is incapacitated under warranty. Your carrier did not design the phone, they merely provide the service. As long as their towers still work they are still holding up their end of the bargain. Yes, it's hard to get service when your phone is broken, but that argument has never worked and I'm guessing there's a reason why. Not letting prepaid cards ever expire sounds like a tough sell too, considering that they'd be supporting many phones on the network for next to nothing.

Furthermore, a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already (no autorenewing contracts, explaining subsidies and termination fees and other info in contract, notifications of exceeding data usage, providing online usage monitoring, termination fees not exceeding total subsidy, explaining how to check prepaid balance, etc)

It was commissioned by the CRTC and it won't be law, they will have to voluntarily abide by the code if they so choose.

As for "a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already," while that may be true I think we can all agree that letting them self regulate is a terrible idea even if they are heading in the right direction at a glacial pace.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

So I got Telus to give me 10% off since I'm using my own phone, and $5 off for combined billing with my Optik TV/internet.

5gb data, voicemail call waiting call display and unlimited nationwide calling for $85 all in + tax.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Also my little signal meter has an "H" beside it. Is that Telus' quickest data ? LTE or whatever HSPA

H is HSPA. LTE would be faster, what phone do you have?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

I don't know why either, all I know is when Bell first got HSPA coverage that was one of the first things they told us.

Some phones don't allow changing APN depending on the carrier. But the voice/SMS only thing is mostly a holdover from CDMA, where it was genuinely a bitch to make anything other than those two work on a foreign network.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Geektox posted:

Yeah, Koodo (Telus) and Bell used to be CDMA but they all switched to GSM a few years back.

They switched to HSPA. :eng101: A GSM-only phone will not work on their network.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, just buy a Koodo SIM, pop it in the Nexus and you're on your way!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

Oh, uh. One thing I forgot to mention is that I started this plan on the east coast and it has a number for that region. I will not be keeping it.

Even better. Set a cancellation for the last day of your billing cycle with TELUS. Go into Koodo the day before and sign up with a new phone number. No porting or giving of TELUS account info required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

I just got a text message from Rogers (?) telling me I can get a free Kindle Paperwhite 3G if I upgrade my phone and re-up my plan or something. I don't need one, but is this a legit thing they're doing, or just some sort of scam SMS?

Looks legit.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/04/01/rogers-offering-up-a-free-kindle-paperwhite-3g-to-those-who-sign-a-3-year-contract/