Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Has anyone ever bought a phone from expansys.ca?

TELUS discontinued the galaxy nexus, but I'm tempted to just buy one unlocked instead of waiting for the sg3 to become an upgrade option.

It's available for around 450 all in on expansys, which would be better than some dude on Craigslist, assuming the site is reputable.

The Galaxy Nexus is sold for $350 US unlocked direct from Google's Play store if you know anyone in the US. I don't know when/if they'll make it available to Canada though. Also when they resume selling it again next week apparently they'll be shipping with Jelly Bean installed.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You could probably just got to a Telus booth/store and ask them to pop in a simcard and test it for you.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

MrZig posted:

Yes. I was under the belief that the Nexus was updated by Google itself, and not through carriers as it uses Google's UI. Yet most people in the US have Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4, and everyone in Canada that I can tell is still on 4.0.1.

I'm not sure if 4.1.1 is coming straight from Google in the next few days - or if it has to pass through my carrier (Bell) first?

I bought a used Galaxy Nexus this afternoon, reinstalled stock 4.0.4 and checked Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates and it was there for me.

e:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 14, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone know whether there are Canadian retailers that carry the Diztronic tpu cases? I have an otterbox on my phone right now and the smooth plastic back is probably going to cause more problems than it protects.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oh sorry I forgot to update. I went ahead and made the call (completely recorded) and I think I got exactly what I wanted. Also of note was that my CSR was incredibly helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I got the transaction ID or whatever of the change, so hopefully I can tie everything back to this call in case something does go wrong though.

In any event, I'm still off contract as of today as far as I can tell. Crossing my fingers that this continues to be the case for a long long time ;)

For what it's worth, I've actually been really pleased with Rogers for the most part over the past three years so I'm not AGAINST signing a new contract, I'd just like to hang onto that for something like a hardware upgrade. I think the only thing that's bothered me about Rogers is that they keep sending me text spam reminding me that "loyalty has its rewards" bla bla bla upgrade your phone because you're off contract, despite me opting out of everything, AND rogers twitter telling me to go to that stupid form I posted a few pages back to unsub.

What did you end up getting?

The Dark One posted:

Props to Koodo for rolling out Jelly Bean in a timely fashion. It took them months to ok ICS, but I got the notification for the 4.1.1 update this afternoon.

What phone?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

OilSlick posted:

This cannot be overstated. DON'T loving DO THIS. It seems a lot of goons order phones online or over the phone but for the love of God go to a store you drat shut-ins. I've dealt with people who've ordered phones over the phone and if your phone is hosed or if they make a mistake it's an absolute nightmare to get it fixed.

Contract over the phone is the only way to deal with retentions though, right?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I saw a Bell kiosk going up here this morning. I wonder if MTS and Bell's no compete agreement has run out.

e: http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/07/31/bells-manitoba-hspa-network-going-live-on-august-1st/

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

In case anyone else was wondering. I just found out that if you buy a phone outright, they have to unlock it for free in Canada. Also once you are off contract they have to unlock it. My mind has been blown.

I'm looking to buy a Note 2 from Rogers, which is apparently selling it for $649 vs over $700 which Bell is selling it for. Definitely going to unlock it when I get one.

Edit: On second read, apparently it is only proposed. Well that blows.

You missed the Note 2 being on ebay's Deal of the Day for ~$589 unlocked w/ free shipping.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

What would happen if you took your simcard (Rogers) out of a phone and put it into a tablet w/ cellular radio?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Ah ok, sounds good. I just got an iPad mini, and I'm thinking of exchanging it for the cellular model* so long as it's not a huge hassle with Rogers. I've heard they have a $2/month for 10 months deal with data sharing - wouldn't mind getting on board that.

* main reason: when I'm done with it, I can set my grandma up with it. She doesn't have WiFi but a data sharing plan and an iPad might be a good way to get her emailing finally.

Have a link for that share plan? I was thinking about getting a 32GB Nexus 7 with HSPA+ when they come out.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Switched to the Rogers "$58 plan" (before additional fees)
300 min
MY10
Unlimited evenings(6pm-7am) + weekends
5GB

Voicemail + Caller ID extra.

I need to work on getting some account credits.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

grack posted:

All signs point to yes - http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_maxx-4666.php

No idea where'd you get one, though.

http://www.omegacell.com/products/motorola-xt910-razr-maxx

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

One thing I've heard about LTE (don't have it) is that the latency is lower.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Godinster posted:

I can't speak for the entire country but the penetration through buildings on LTE seems to be loving terrible. I get LTE with 5 bars outside my apartment but it drops down to fake 4G [and sometimes even EDGE] as soon as I go inside. Same result in all the malls here. To be fair it's in Saskatchewan but I've heard similar stuff in BC/Ontario.

Sounds like my experience with HSPA+ and my office :saddowns:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Got a shipping confirmation for my N4, it's supposed to arrive next Tuesday :(

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

In case you missed it in the other threads the N4 has LTE in Canada:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6474/nexus-4-includes-support-for-lte-on-band-4-aws

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Just got an email from Google, the Nexus 4 is going back on sale in Canada starting at 12:00 noon (PST).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I don't think there's anything special which makes a sim LTE capable.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Is it true that you can switch to Fido from Rogers for less than the usual early-termination-fee? Even from a business account?

How about switching from Rogers to Fido, off contract, while keeping your number and not getting billed for an extra month of unused service.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I'm currently off contract with Rogers and need to get a new line with long distance minutes.

My current plan:
*300 Minutes + 5GB Shared Data
- Unlimited Evening & Weekend Minutes (Starting at 6pm)
- MY10 Canada-wide
- Unlimited Sent & Received Messages Text, Picture & Video (Device Dependent)
- 2500 Call Forwarding Minutes
- Conference Calling
- Call Waiting
- 5GB Shared Data
*Value Pack
- Call Display with Name Display
- Enhanced Voicemail

I'd like to be able to share the data with the other phone, and possibly with a tablet in the future. I'm also expecting that I'll need more minutes since it will be a work line. I have a couple older phones, but I am also considering getting an S4.

Suggestions?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Has anyone here dealt with Rogers Corporate for setting up a business account?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

So I'm mulling over what plan to go with.

Currently I have one line with Rogers, off contract:
$55 - Talk, Text, Wireless Internet ($60 - $5 credit)
- 3 GB data
- Unlimited Canada wide minutes
- Unlimited domestic text messages
- Basic voicemail + call display
+ $5: - Android Value Plan
- Upgraded voicemail (more than 3 messages)
- Call display with name
- Unlimited international text messages

I need to get a second line and my options are:

1) Sign a contract with the same plan as above
(I don't know if I would get the save together discount if I didn't sign a contract on both lines)

2) Switch to a family plan with two lines and roll other phone in:
$100 - Talk, Text, Wireless Internet ($120 - $10 credit - $10 save together discount)
- 6 GB data (shared)
- Unlimited Canada wide minutes
- Unlimited domestic text messages
- Basic voicemail + call display
(I am guessing I'd be paying $5/line for the better voicemail/call display)

3) Speak to Rogers corporate and try to get a plan with my CBA discount.
(I've never dealt with the corporate people so I wasn't sure what kind of plans they have available)

Any suggestions?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 9, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The install button wont work for me :(

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

That Gurney article is just...

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

DarkJC posted:

I really hope the court of appeal tells them to screw off. They have knowledge of when all contracts will be subject to the new code, it's their choice if they want to keep selling 3 year contracts knowing that the code will apply to all contracts by June 3, 2015.

Their crying about the subsidy should fall on deaf ears, considering US carriers have supplied the same subsidies for years on 2 year contracts.

I'm still waiting for the subsidy from providing my own phone.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Koodo just launched a plan with unlimited national calling, and 3GB of data for $60 monthly:
https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

That's definitely progress of a kind. 4-5 years ago, this would've been utterly unthinkable.

(as a side note, does anyone know if Koodo's data is LTE? And if so, is it throttled with respect to Telus speeds in the same area?)

That's what I have from Rogers.

What I need now though is another voice/text line, which ideally could also be configured to call forward to my other phone.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

gently caress, now I am thinking that I should just sign a 3 year contract now to try and keep a reasonable rate.

I'd be looking at $100/month for 2 lines, shared 6GB data, unlimited calling, and I could grab a couple phones on the subsidy to resell later.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

moron posted:

I'm moving to Canada from the UK next month, and I'm just doing a little bit of planning. My wife has gone ahead, and has picked up a Telus contract which I'll apparently be able to join onto for some ungodly amount of money. I have an iPhone 5 which I purchased here in the UK from the Apple Store off contract, which isn't carrier locked, and was hoping that I'd be able to use this with Telus when I arrive so that I wouldn't need to get roped into paying for another handset and/or being forced into a three year deal. However, I've just read online that Telus are CDMA as opposed to GSM, which would pretty much poo poo all over that idea. Can anyone confirm that this is, infact, the case?

edit: also I don't feel that a foreigner-posting-in-the-Canadian-telecoms-thread post would be complete without the obligatory 'gently caress me i can't believe quite how terrible the Canadian telecoms industry is' footnote.

Rogers/Telus/Bell have LTE/HSPA+ but the original (and backup) network used by Telus/Bell used to be CDMA.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 1, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Rogers used to offer a $55 plan with unlimited nation wide calling and 3GB data in Manitoba, not sure if it is still available.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Science posted:

I love Virgin's math. $839.99 - $300 = $589.99. :downs:

Take up to $300 off

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't even know the SIM would be different, that's why I'm here, thank you!

Seeing as the Canadian Google Play store is extremely sold out and there is a rumour Rogers stores might be getting the Nexus 5 in, I maybe just pick one up there instead as it would likely be way faster.

vvvv Of course they're not :( gently caress carriers. I'll wait for the Google store stock I guess.

The store keeps getting more stock, just check back after a few minutes until it shows up as available. You're looking at 3-4 weeks now before it arrives though.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

The shipping "info" for mine went from 3-4 weeks yesterday to 2-3 weeks, but no specific date.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Happened to refresh the Play store at the right time, and I have a 32GB black on order now! I'm very happy I won't be paying the ripoff $500 Canadian carrier price for the 16 GB.

My 2-3 week shipping just turned into shipped today :)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man what the gently caress, my N5 has gone from 3-4 weeks to ship, to 1-2 weeks, now it's saying "Dispatched from warehouse on 26/11/2013". The gently caress is going on :(

Mine arrived today :shrug:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress. Everyone in Canada is going to have their N5 before mine even ships!!

My replacement 32 GB black is going to arrive on Thursday (I asked for a replacement because there was a speck of dirt/dust underneath the glass).

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Switched up my Rogers plan.

Unlimited Canada wide calling, unlimited text messaging, caller ID + vm (the better version) and unlimited data (for at least 3 months).

$60/month (-$10/month credit) (+$5/month for the caller ID + vm boost) (+$10/month for my LTE tablet sim data sharing) == $65/month

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 12, 2013

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

terriyaki posted:

How long does the unlimited data last for?

3 months

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

terriyaki posted:

How much data do you get after those three months?

Back to my current 3GB

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Is there any place other than Telus/Koodo to get the Moto G in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Duro posted:

Ok, so my contract is finally up with Fido, and I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5s from my 4

Am I able to keep my 6gig data plan, or are they going to try and take it away from me when I renew my contract?

Assuming they do try to take it away from me and offer me less, let's say I just purchased an iPhone and kept my current contract, would I automatically get LTE or will I be stuck with 3G?

I want to proceed with caution before calling them

AFAIK 3G vs LTE is just based on your sim card.