Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
One of their stores in Waterloo only had lovely hard cases that crumbled into dust in a month as far as accessories go. At least the store was nice. Shame that the clerk fumbled my address and it took half an hour for her to realize that maybe I don't live in PEI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Back when I had Rogers, that setting mysteriously reset itself once in a while, and I kept getting the messages every few months.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

A Jupiter posted:

I'm about to get a new phone in the next month, and was just about to take the advice from the Android thread to buy a Galaxy Nexus from Google Play, and then I realised I lived in Canada.
Does anyone know if WIND's Galaxy Nexus is different from all the other ones. I assume it's the same since the one from Google Play is compatible with WIND.

P.S. If anyone has anecdotes of WIND in the Waterloo area that's great too.

Edit: Whoops I guess not. Canadian Nexus' are "yakjuux" while in order to get updates directly from Google you have to have "yakju". No big deal, time to get my flash on.

I haven't had any problems in Waterloo with WIND, short of my university's dungeonesque basements.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Wind frequency range is pretty bad for penetrating buildings, so your signal in a basement or in an enclosed area is bound to be worse. I accept that for dirt cheap unlimited data, though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You can buy a new SIM card and have it connected to your account for $10-15, depending on provider. Pop it into any phone that is compatible with your carrier's frequencies, and you're set.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My HTC Excalibur is still kicking, and my mom is using my G1 from ages ago. My Desire works fine, and I only replaced it when I changed carriers and it wasn't compatible.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

I did this. They simply won't match it or even try to.

Carrying your number over is pretty easy though. Just go to a WIND kiosk and tell them you want to port your number over and they'll take care of the rest. It will take a day for the process to complete so in the mean time they assign you a temporary number to use. Once it's done, their automated system will text you to let you know that the move went through and you can start using your old number again.

My mother, brother, and I switched from Rogers to WIND last holiday season. My brother's number was ported almost instantly, my mother's took a few days (I called them and complained), and mine took two months. Rogers made me pay for those two months, too, despite them admitting that they did not provide me a service during this time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've been considering data and no voice, since 90% of what I do with my cellphone is data, with the occasional text. I get/make maybe two phone calls per month, which can probably be handled with Skype (if the Android app wasn't such a piece of poo poo, that is).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I swapped three numbers from Rogers to Wind about two years ago. Two went through fine in ~48 hours (I imagine there was a backlog at Christmas time), but Rogers dragged their feet on the third one for three months, and then insisted I should pay for them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I live in Waterloo, which is almost entirely covered, and it's pretty great. The reception works in my basement with a modern phone (not so much with my lovely outdated G1 though). The data is usually fast, but gets slow for an hour or two every other month. I like it, I don't think I'd go back to a non-unlimited carrier unless something drastic happens.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Science posted:

Exactly. It's things like this:

How does 300 MB cost $20 in 2014? Not even NASA pays that much to beam poo poo to the ISS.

Is it possible to select no voice at all? 3GB of data for $45 wouldn't be that bad.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Does anyone here actually have Wind and find it decent enough?
90% Of my usage is text and data but I guess voice is important too.

I have a similar usage pattern, I find it's okay. I get no signal in Distillery factories and factory-like buildings, or if I'm deep inside my building at work (like the center of the second floor), otherwise it works fine. I never had a problem with call quality.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Wind managed to chop off a bit of the AWS 3 spectrum

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

I think winds suitability depends on location. In Toronto it's really good for the most part. In London tho it took me 20 minutes or more to upload a picture message.

I decided I'll just be better about using data; having lte is so worth it.

It was the opposite for me, perfectly fine in Waterloo and unusable trash in downtown Toronto.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

It seems like it will support Visa Canada at launch which is perfect for me, I can't wait. The TD mobile payment app is a pile of hot buggy garbage.

The entire TD app is a pile of hot buggy garbage along with the infrastructure that supports it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android Pay rolling out and apparently no support for TD Visa. I'm so loving annoyed at this, their own app is pure poo poo and doesn't work, so what the gently caress am I supposed to use?

I want to call them and bitch about this or something because I'm sick of paying fees/being a customer and getting this garbage in return.

The priority of the Android mobile team was to spend 5 months cramming in a way to push ads to your phone rather than making the financial part of their banking app work properly.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I used to have unlimited data through Rogers too, then they changed it to unlimited WAP browsing without telling me and lied about why my email didn't work for two months. Hooray!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Same, but Ohio. Can I buy a prepaid SIM card after I cross the border, or is there a better way?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh interesting, I'm largely in the same boat (down to being on Telus), might as well go legit as well.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

Signed up for Virgin Plus today via livechat on their website for a 20Gb $45/month BYOD plan where they will credit back the $50 activation fee and waived sim card fees and sim card shipping fees.

Hopefully they will also waive the fee waiver fee but no promises there yet. They were otherwise very easy going. I just asked for their best BYOD 20gb plan in ontario and they offerd that one that RFD has been talking about and offered the various waivers without having to ask for them. In case anyone else could benefit from that plan.

Now I just have to beg my child not to bankrupt me with data overage charges when they inevitably go past 20 gigs

This is a lot better than my current plan, what's the coverage like?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
That actually looks pretty good. What's the catch? Or is this just genuinely a good deal? Their map shows no 5G coverage so I guess I won't be getting the mind control signal or whatever everyone is so upset about, but anything else?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I have a 3 GB limit now, so I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Edit: *in extremely hacker voice* I'm in

Edit 2: I'm not in, apparently there's a technical issue and they'll call me back tomorrow. But either way, turns out you can just ask for the $45 20GB plan and they'll give it to you.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I got a code in the mail for Virgin, but the deal it offered was actually worse than another deal they had running on their website. Canada!