Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

codo27 posted:

Oh yeah, what I came to ask about. Asus Zenfone? I seen some Canadian site had them and they were very cheap. Any experiences?

Picked one up last week and I love it. It's a great phone if you're willing to root it and remove or freeze all the bloat that comes pre-loaded. I've seen reports of people getting 2 hours more screen on time after dealing with the poo poo.

Only other issues are a mid tier camera and weird power button placement. Double tap to wake mitigates the power button though.

Hardware is great for the price and the UI is smooth as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Do any of the Canadian providers support femtocells? Because that just seems easier than a booster to me, but I don't have any experience with this stuff

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

James Baud posted:

Well, maybe. The trick is that carriers will periodically discount how much you need to repay on phones to win your business, too, so you can potentially save a few hundred through a carrier in addition to the interest free loan.

The extra trick to this is that they're now all required to allow a no-fee cancellation within 15 days. So buy your discount phone on a plan, wait a day or two and then cancel it, you'll only pay the discounted balance and no extra fees. Then you can take your unlocked phone to any plan you'd like.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Pivo posted:

Well port protection should be the default if any yahoo in a mall kiosk can take your drat number. But yeah I got that email too. Mercifully I don’t have any 2FA of importance going to SMS, but still...

It should be the default, but realistically if you're being targetted by an identity thief they also probably have enough information about you to call and have your number ported anyway. These companies are garbage at actually stopping this from happening.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I helped a Freedom/shaw technician at a building I work in 8~ months ago while he deployed a tower. He was saying pretty much all the freedom deployment now in BC was the newer LTE bands(Band 13? 66?), and that you really need a phone that supports those bands and also voLTE to get decent coverage. This deployment only started last year it sounded like.

It seems like that limits getting decent coverage to just people with phones made in the last few years? I can't imagine explaining any of that to customers, or what you do about people buying sim cards and putting them in older phones and getting mad.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
This year is like the 6th time I've carrier switched on Black Friday. It really does seem insane that they encourage this, especially since all the brands are just two companies. Why are they giving me a thousand dollar phone to switch between their two subsidiaries? How is this even making them money? The bring your own device plans are often not even cheaper so you may as well take the free/discount phone. It's all so wacky.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I was getting 1-2 spam calls per month, and then I ported off Freedom to Koodo near black friday. After the port I started getting spam calls nearly daily until I turned call control on. It could be a coincidence but it's hard for me not to consider it suspicious.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I switched carriers last black Friday, was getting 0 spam calls the day before, started getting 2-3 per day the day I switched. Some public list of recently ported numbers is probably it, but I do wonder if some of the carriers sell off your data when you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I went back to Telus last year on black friday and have worse coverage then I did on Freedom, the 5G network is garbage and my signal strength is always 1 bar. Shaw put up a ton of towers when they took over freedom a few years ago and I found coverage great in the city. It totally depends where you live.