Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Sober posted:

I think I'm getting sick of using prepaid plans. I've been using Virgin mobile for a few years now, thinking of maybe switching to WIND. I mean, I don't really use my phone as much right now but maybe I will if I switch to the 25$ plan?

Can I port a prepaid number over too?

At Koodo (not sure for other providers) we ask for either your PIN, account number or the IMEI of your current phone (So bring your phone in). I figure other providers use the same process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Fractal Cat posted:

The deposit was incase the repair centre decided that the damage was my fault. If I wanted a loaner phone it would be $10, but I'm imaging it would just be a flip-phone of some kind so why bother with that?

That's really different compared to Koodo. At Koodo we send the phone out for repair and ask for a 150$. The deposit is for a loaner phone that we give you while your phone is out for repair. No matter what happens as long as you bring back our loaner will give you back your 150$. However, if the repair center finds that the phone was physically damaged or water damaged they will send us a repair quote, from there we call you let you know why and how much the repair is and you can either accept or reject the price. If the price is 75$, will give you back the remaining amount after taxes from your deposit (If you accepted the repair costs) if not will reject the repair and give you back the full 150$ as long as we get our phone back.

I always recommend clients to find a second hand Koodo phone as a back up. This helps to avoid the 150$ deposit for a loaner while your primary phone is gone for repair. Cause having 150$ tied up for 2 to 4 weeks sucks.

Kolta fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2012

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Millstone posted:

WIND Mobile: It's Good Enough, Get Over It

Love the new motto! HAH

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Koodo has a super plan out now. 6gb of data, call display and voicemail, 250 Canada wide minutes, unlimited incoming calls and unlimited text for 60$ a month.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Fractal Cat posted:

I should have clarified, my partner's contract is up on the 2nd of August so they gave the 30-day notice to Fido, and was told by the CSR that if they ported their number that they would continue to have an account just no service. Now Fido sends them a bill today for the last month, and a 100 dollar early termination fee for both voice and data.

Also why would Fido charge for service that they cannot provide to you since your number no longer exists with them. Common sense plays a huge role here.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

They actually do a catch 22 where they require 30 days notice (which, if you give, you can't port your number out), so they try and get away with charging you for a final month of service for porting your number out, even though they cannot actually provide said service.

30 days notice is accross the board. Porting in or not. If you don't port you can use your phone when you give the cancellation notice for those 30 days. I do find it a bit unfair that you are charged for a full 30 days but that's life I guess.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Exactly, my point is that you can't give 30 days notice and port on the final day, at least not with Rogers/Fido, and I think it's downright scummy that they still try and charge you for 30 days of service that you literally cannot use.

In most cases you can get the money back if you have time to spare to fight it.

Almost every charge can be fought or reduced. Depends how much fight ya got in ya. HAH

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

dahkren posted:

Are the GNexus' sold by the carrier locked to the carrier? Are only the ones bought online unlocked?

I've got a ton of fido dollars but I want to make the jump over to Koodo so my plan is to buy a Nexus and port my number over

You're going to have to get it unlocked. The only phones that have a chance of working with Koodo are phones from telus.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

ante posted:

Moving from Telus to Telus because Telus couldn't match the plan offered by Telus aw yeah

My fiance works for Telus and I work for Koodo and you would not believe the differences and impossibilities that the same company has. Same company, two complete different philosophies.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

terriyaki posted:

Aww crap, koodo currently does not offer visual voicemail. :(

Oh well, small price to pay for a better plan at a cheaper price.

Telus is totally loving me over one last time though. Right before the koodo girl could port my number over, the telus network went down so I'm stuck here twiddling my thumbs and using Starbucks' wifi like a chump.

Well played, telus. Well played.

I feel ya. I wanted to do a transfer of ownership for my telus line cause I have a koodo work line now and of course this system outage happens part way through the call.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
SII X is launching at Koodo on August 10th for those of you who want a decent android and an upgrade from that Galaxy Ace.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
For those of you looking for some sweet prepaid plans, Koodo will be launching prepaid soon. From what I've gathered the only way you can lose your minutes/data is if the phone is inactive for 90 days. Should be launching sometime this month.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Virgin has it as well, for the record.

Is it built into every plan? or do you need to buy an add-on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Way back when I use to work for Bell they had an add on that wasn't charged to the account and would auto credit border city roaming. Maybe they got rid of it or maybe your friend can just call and ask if it's available in his province, because from what I could remember not all border cities were eligible for the add on.