Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

In the near future, I'll be traveling during the weekends to the Southern Ontario area and would like to keep a pre-paid phone on-hand that will work there. I'm American so I'm clueless to the Canadian telecommunications providers (although I have heard how bad they actually are). My purchasing location options are a Rogers store and a Walmart just across the border. Here's what I'm looking for:

• A dumb phone with a pre-paid plan that has coverage in the Port Colborne/Wainfleet areas
  • The ability to add minutes and not have to worry about them expiring for as long as humanly possible when the phone is left unused
  • Hopefully not get charged out the rear end if I have to make calls to the USA

I have Virgin Mobile USA now and it's been fantastic. However, the phone is pretty much a paperweight once I cross the border unless I stumble upon free Wi-Fi access. Even then I can't make calls unless I get some VoIP service but I really don't want to bother with that. I think it would be easier to just keep a pre-paid Canadian phone on the side when I travel but maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

So I took the plunge and went to Walmart in Canada to buy a pre-paid phone. I had taken into consideration a couple of the suggestions here. However, only one really helped me (gently caress Rogers was the only thing that helped). The reason for that is I just found out that Walmart really only carries Bell, Rogers, Telus, Fido and Virgin Mobile.

So I basically thought gently caress Rogers, I'll talk to this female Walmart employee and also read the boxes on the phones. I explained to her that I want a pre-paid phone/plan that won't expire quickly and will also work fairly well in the Port Colborne area. Without hesitation she recommended Telus because they apparently work well in that area due to a decent number of cell towers. I had narrowed it down to Telus and Virgin Mobile, but her comment, the $100/365 day expiry, and the fact that the Telus phone came with a $20 credit sold me. Hopefully I made the right choice.