Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
How does anyone stand it on a cell provider who doesn't have Telus/Koodo call control? I didn't even know how often spam calls came until I jumped onto Public Mobile (which curiously doesn't have Call Control despite being owned by Telus) and it's a spam call or more every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That's pretty tempting, I wonder if I should hold until thanksgiving at least.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Does anyone know if these Public Mobile deals are only available to new customers or if they're also available to existing PM users? If I jump on these deals, I can still switch to any even better sales later right?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Tempted by those publicmobile deals but I remember last time I switched to them from Koodo I suddenly started getting a crazy amount of spam calls. I know both are owned by Telus but it was either a weird coincidence or else porting numbers posts you to some spammer db somewhere? Or does PM actually sell their numbers to spammers?

I ended up not staying with them for long because Koodo introduced that anti spam feature that makes callers punch in a number for the call to connect. Spammers still haven't figured that out, fortunately.

Yeah, I'm hesitating on the button to switch for the exact same reason. I don't need more data (although US data is tempting) but Call Control really works and I don't have a Pixel so there's no equivalently good solution built into my phone.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Wait so Telus owns Koodo AND public mobile? Why do they have two budget brands?

If the service coverage is the same it looks like public has the best offer available to me; $34 for 30gb at 5G speed, vs everyone else offering $34-35 for 30gb at 4g speeds.

Public Mobile used to be separate but Telus bought them out intending to move the users to Koodo which went over very poorly to say the least.

At this point, not only has Telus completely backtracked, Public Mobile sometimes gets things faster than Koodo (like 5G). If only they'd implement Call Control into PM as well.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That shouldn't be the case outside of heavier gaming (which overheats every phone). You either have a very uncommon use case, exaggerating, or have a defective unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Isn’t it only for new accounts? I tried to switch and it only offers me that plan for $40.

On my wife's iPhone, we had to open and close the app a couple times before it showed up. Maybe try the web site?